Widgets Magazine
Page 8 of 18 FirstFirst ... 345678910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Von Maur

Default Re: Sears store at Quail Springs sold to General Growth

Quote Originally Posted by progressiveboy View Post
    The link says it scheduled opening is December 31, 2014. That seems to be a long time to renovate the space and get the store opened? Alot can happen between now and December 2014. Almost 2 years?
    Quote Originally Posted by jn1780 View Post
    That seemed weird to me to. I wonder if that's accurate or if they meant 2013? I would think it would only take six months to renovate a store once they started. If its 2014 than they obviously don't plan to start renovations anytime soon.
    I was still living in Wichita when the Von Maur was going into Towne East Mall there... And, based on how that store was done, I would say this is about right. I think the store there took 3 years to get done... it was so long that people there kept wondering if it was ever going to actually open. But, I will say that when it finally did open it was pretty apparent what took so long... The difference between that store and pretty much everything else in the mall is so dramatic that when you walk into the store it's almost like you are going through a portal to a different place. lol.

In fact, there was a lot of chatter at the time that it was TOO NICE and wouldn't be sustainable in the market there... but, it seems to be doing okay.

Has anyone been following JC Penny's? If they don't fix the direction their heading their going to be in real trouble. What their doing right now is not working. Sales dropped 32% last quarter.

JC Penney got the message. They tried a pricing strategy that works with Apple: No discounts. It didn't work at JCP and they're back to the markdowns.

Quote Originally Posted by OKCTalker View Post
    JC Penney got the message. They tried a pricing strategy that works with Apple: No discounts. It didn't work at JCP and they're back to the markdowns.
    Yeah it's difficult for an established retail chain to move upmarket overnight. Dillard's did but they did slowly and it still cost them sales for several years before they finally started growing again. JC Penney is very established as a middle class department store and they need to do what has always worked for them or its game over.

5. Default Re: Sears store at Quail Springs sold to General Growth

Took these about 10 days ago. It looks like they are getting ready to put up a temporary wall across the entrances, Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2013-03-01 19.57.22-800.jpg 
Views:	213 
Size:	41.2 KB 
ID:	3490Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2013-03-01 19.57.29-800.jpg 
Views:	190 
Size:	37.9 KB 
ID:	3491Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2013-03-01 19.57.49-800.jpg 
Views:	199 
Size:	31.5 KB 
ID:	3492Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2013-03-01 19.59.21-800.jpg 
Views:	194 
Size:	35.8 KB 
ID:	3493

Those pics are kind of sad. I spent a lot of time in that store over the years ... and a lot of money too!

7. Default Re: Sears store at Quail Springs sold to General Growth

NEW SEARS ? I noticed a building permit to erect a 16000sf structure near Quail Springs Mall. the permit indicates Sears Reatil space. Location is 14040 JOEL MCDONALD DR

Quote Originally Posted by GaryOKC6 View Post
    NEW SEARS ? I noticed a building permit to erect a 16000sf structure near Quail Springs Mall. the permit indicates Sears Reatil space. Location is 14040 JOEL MCDONALD DR
    I called the contractor of record about this but haven't heard back.

The address is the vacant lot north and a little east of Barnes and Noble.

Not sure what this is... Perhaps a smaller Sears store?

Could be a Sears Hometown store location. Let me check with my Sears contacts.

From what he heard it is a Hometown Store. Local owned. He thinks the store in Edmond is moving since they are getting busier and need more room.
    Last edited by okc_bel_air; 04-18-2013 at 09:17 AM. Reason: talked to contact...

Sears Hometown Store makes sense, and they are all pretty much franchisee-owned.

I hope Quail does not end up like crossroads soon and gets very low class tenants like IMAGE, Eargazum or something along those lines. Maybe they could put in a temporary anchor in the Sears before they start renovating it into a Von Maur

Have they not started already?

Quote Originally Posted by SomeGuy View Post
    I hope Quail does not end up like crossroads soon and gets very low class tenants like IMAGE, Eargazum or something along those lines. Maybe they could put in a temporary anchor in the Sears before they start renovating it into a Von Maur
    Image has already taken over the Abercrombie & Fitch location at Quail Springs. Many spaces are filled by similar tenants. The decline really has started. I hope the mall can hang on until Von Maur opens. Until then, I hope the owners are more pro-active at recruiting better tenants while nudging the low-end ones out. The good news is Quail Springs is only showing early signs of decline and the process can still be reversed.

Quote Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
    Image has already taken over the Abercrombie & Fitch location at Quail Springs. Many spaces are filled by similar tenants. The decline really has started. I hope the mall can hang on until Von Maur opens. Until then, I hope the owners are more pro-active at recruiting better tenants while nudging the low-end ones out. The good news is Quail Springs is only showing early signs of decline and the process can still be reversed.
    If I was GGP I'd add some PS like stores to it. Put a Banana Republic in that IMAGE space, add an Apple store and maybe a Microsoft store. I'm shocked Hollister is still there after A &F pulled out of Quail Springs. I hope when Von Maur comes the mall won't be 2006 Crossroads when it started to go on the decline.

Quote Originally Posted by SomeGuy View Post
    If I was GGP I'd add some PS like stores to it. Put a Banana Republic in that IMAGE space, add an Apple store and maybe a Microsoft store. I'm shocked Hollister is still there after A &F pulled out of Quail Springs. I hope when Von Maur comes the mall won't be 2006 Crossroads when it started to go on the decline.
    I am not sure metro OKC could support a second Apple store or Microsoft store, but I definitely think Quail Springs should recruit more upscale tenants and at the same time nudge out the low-end ones. After Von Maur opens that should be easier.

As I said before, Quail Springs currently has warning signs but it can still be saved easily. From what I've seen recently from GGP it seems like they are trying to right the ship before its too late.

16. Default Re: Sears store at Quail Springs sold to General Growth

While I agree Quail Springs leases to some less-than-desirable tenants, It is not likely QS will take the Crossroads path if for no other reason than location.

Almost all enclosed 70's & 80's era malls are struggling.

Think about how many big-box retailers have popped up since these centers were constructed... The retail business has completely changed in the last two or three decades, especially with on-line shopping.

QS is at least pretty well leased and replacing a failed anchor with one that is more high-end. They are doing much better than most malls.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    Almost all enclosed 70's & 80's era malls are struggling.

Think about how many big-box retailers have popped up since these centers were constructed... The retail business has completely changed in the last two or three decades, especially with on-line shopping.

QS is at least pretty well leased and replacing a failed anchor with one that is more high-end. They are doing much better than most malls.
    Quail Springs in particular was once pretty heavy on tenants that have been replaced by online shopping like music and video stores. Wherehouse, F.Y.E., Disc Jockey, and Suncoast all had locations in Quail Springs 10 years ago.

Imagine if Penn Square lost an Anchor, lets say Dillards. That would leave them with 2 empty anchor spaces and it would be harder to get more anchors in there than QS

Quote Originally Posted by CuatrodeMayo View Post
    While I agree Quail Springs leases to some less-than-desirable tenants, It is not likely QS will take the Crossroads path if for no other reason than location.
    I'm sure that's what people thought about Crossroads 20 years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by traxx View Post
    really next to a landfill was a good location?

Quote Originally Posted by BoulderSooner View Post
    really next to a landfill was a good location?
    I thought the landfill came later. Did it not?

I thought the landfill came later. Did it not?
    the landfill was there 20 years ago for sure

Quote Originally Posted by BoulderSooner View Post
    the landfill was there 20 years ago for sure
    Well Crossroads has been there nearly 40 years so...

I always thought the construction on I-35 combined with the shooting was the death of the mall. Crossroads held its own up until about 2006ish. The 2008 recession and the closure of Crossroads' remaining anchors was really the final blow.

Thread Information