Widgets Magazine
Page 4 of 18 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: Von Maur

Default Re: Sears store at Quail Springs sold to General Growth

Quote Originally Posted by jn1780 View Post
    It takes a long time to kill previously established good reputation apparently.
    Agreed. Sony still had a reputation for quality well into the 2000s despite being well past their prime. It used to be Sony electronics were a notch above but they went to crap in the late '90s.

Quote Originally Posted by zookeeper View Post
    I read recently that the most value within the Sears Holding Corporation is the insured brands of Craftsman, Kenmore and Die Hard, $1.8 billion.
    I stole this from Wikipedia. I investigated it after I heard Sears advertising Die Hard workboots on the radio.

DieHard is a premium brand of automotive battery marketed by Sears Holdings Corporation retailers, including Sears and Kmart. The brand is owned by KCD IP, LLC, a special purpose entity created by Sears Holdings for securitization purposes.
    The brand dates to the 1960s. In its earliest years, the brand was guaranteed to last "forever", that is, as long as the original owner still owned the car in which it was originally installed, far more generous than traditional pro rata battery warranties. When drivers began to keep automobiles for longer periods than had been traditional previously (due to both their rising cost and hence longer financing contracts, and their improved durability), the cost of this policy became prohibitive and it was discontinued. However the brand line was kept and expanded; it now includes medium-priced, medium-duty batteries as well as the premium-priced, heavy duty line with which it was begun, and in recent years has been expanded to include other non-automotive batteries as well. It is used on batteries for motorcycles, boats, golf carts, garden tractors, and snowmobiles.
    The batteries themselves are manufactured by Johnson Controls inc. which also manufacture Duralast, AC Delco, as well as 20 other brands.
    The DieHard brand is also used on battery chargers, booster cables, power inverters, alkaline batteries, work boots, and more recently the batteries for Craftsman power tools.

Quote Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
    Agreed. Sony still had a reputation for quality well into the 2000s despite being well past their prime. It used to be Sony electronics were a notch above but they went to crap in the late '90s.
    Absolutely!!

When I was a kid, and my uncle bought a Sony color TV, I always thought, *wow*, he's got the money to afford a SONY TV, because it was the brand to have for quality in that time. Now, Sony's electronics division has apparently been hemorrhaging cash, their quality has fallen precipitously. Have heard numerous stories about chronic problems that started back with tier plasma televisions...

More broadly, also reading that virtually all the Japanese electronics manufacturers are struggling with lower-cost competitors, with brands like Sharp especially at risk for purchase/merger/disappearance, and the reason Pioneer completely departed the large-screen television market (projection or otherwise).

Quote Originally Posted by Dubya61 View Post
    I stole this from Wikipedia. I investigated it after I heard Sears advertising Die Hard workboots on the radio.
    I'm not sure why you quoted me in your post as it confirmed what I wrote.

The brand is owned by KCD IP, LLC, a special purpose entity created by Sears Holdings for securitization purposes.
    KCD IP, LLC is the Kenmore, Craftsman, DieHard Intellectual Property, LLC wholly owned by Sears Holdings Corporation.

Closing day must be nearing because I saw some "store closing" signs stacked against the wall over by the north side of the building near automotive.

I heard somewhere that it would close around Jan. 2013

January 28th to be exact. Confirmed by the manager of our tuxedo store right next door.

Quote Originally Posted by OKCisOK4me View Post
    January 28th to be exact. Confirmed by the manager of our tuxedo store right next door.
    Nice. I hope they have a seriously good store closing sale out.

Sears has already started its closing out sale this weekend. They have signs in their store that says the store is closing and everything must go. All sales are final. Also, they are not participating in any circular specials during this time. So, they are in a hurry to get their store closed, and I would not be surprised if they were closed before Christmas at this rate. Although I am sure they will continue to increase their discounts to close as it gets closer to the January 28th deadline.

Quote Originally Posted by jbkrems View Post
    Sears has already started its closing out sale this weekend. They have signs in their store that says the store is closing and everything must go. All sales are final. Also, they are not participating in any circular specials during this time. So, they are in a hurry to get their store closed, and I would not be surprised if they were closed before Christmas at this rate. Although I am sure they will continue to increase their discounts to close as it gets closer to the January 28th deadline.
    I wonder how many people will show up at Sears the day after Thanksgiving not knowing their going out of business?

Saw a "Store Closing" ad in Saturdays Oklahoman. The countdown has begun.

If this store was a top performer like we have been told...is there already plans set for this location since they are moving fast with the closing?

With Sears clearly going under and best buy struggling among others,
    the entire nation needs to be very careful that it doesn't receive what it is
    wishing for. For a decade now, we've shopped locally but oftentimes purchased
    from online etailers to save sales tax and a few dollars on top of it.

Think about it. 2 years ago the primary places to go look for a good TV were
    Ultimate, Best Buy, Circuit City and Sears. Sure, you could go to Wally World
    and Target as well but you couldn't really see any big TV's there, or the top
    of the market sets......for that you had to go elsewhere.....

Now 3 of the 4 are gone and the 4th is struggling. Are we really going to have
    a market in the U.S. where appliance and electronics shopping entails a trip
    to the internet or home depot or lowes who don't stock anything, or a limited
    selection at Wal Mart?

The trend begins to really show it's colors when the retailers that benefitted
    from the survival of the fittest are in fact fighting for their own survival months
    later. Circuit City and Ultimate's demise didn't help Best Buy one bit!

Borders goes under, Barnes and Noble is struggling? Are we moving to a market
    where both of these retailers leave a wake of empty buildings? And for what?
    Books by Itunes ONLY? Are we going to be talking about giant book stores
    the way we're nostagic about 8 tracks someday soon? The way we look back on
    video stores?

The malls are slowly and in some regions quickly losing their anchors and replacing
    them with questionable fits that struggle themselves from day one. Montgomery
    Wards leaves Crossroads, Dave and Barrys moves in and now they are bankrupt too.

I sincerely hope a Saks or Nordstroms takes over at Quail. That mall is still incredibly
    packed and popular and so is Penn Sq. but the years aren't going to be kind if
    the trend continues. When the malls struggle with anchors, smaller retailers start
    moving to life style centers quickly as well. A lot of it is just simple economics. It
    takes a lot to heat and cool a MALL! But we must be aware that if we want
    the restaurants, and theatres around a mall to succeed even marginally, we must
    begin to support the anchor tenants with our business when possible.

We must support businesses that maintain displays for us to peruse if the price
    is "close". We must discontinue the practice of shop on saturday, but on Sunday (ONLINE)
    just to save sales tax.

The federal govt. also needs to step in and level the playing field with a simply administered
    ONLINE only sales tax to be distributed to states and localities according to their apportioned
    congressional districting and population density.

I did not used to feel this way, but today I would gladly pay a 9% surcharge to shop
    online if I thought that on a national basis it would prevent our already generic retail corridors
    from becoming shuttered ghost towns in 10 years or less. If we don't think that could happen,
    I would just bring up: Ultimate, Sears, Bed Bath and Beyond, Circuit City, Montgomery Wards,
    Blockbuster, Hollywood Video. This is just 3 years worth....and ONLY OKC...lots more before them and
    there will be many after. What's next? Dicks knocks out Academy and Bass Pro with
    a single punch only to be put to sleep itself because of some online sporting goods superpower
    called AMAZON SPORTS and OUTDOORS?

The retail industry supports the service industries and both employ a lot of our citizens. There is a
    very significant link in the survival of a restaurant such as BJ's at Quail and the demise of Sears.
    Would Steak and Ale and Bennigans still be around if there were no internet? Hell if I know......
    but we may be asking that question about many other businesses in the future if we don't
    examine our buying habits and ask ourselves if there is a price to be paid in the future
    for saving 6 bucks on a digital camera.....

Sorry for the rambling, but just had to put it down while it was on my mind.......Good night
    Sears.....Too bad you decided to stay locked in the 80s.......but it wasn't all your fault!

Quote Originally Posted by zuluwarrior0760 View Post
    With Sears clearly going under and best buy struggling among others,
    the entire nation needs to be very careful that it doesn't receive what it is
    wishing for. For a decade now, we've shopped locally but oftentimes purchased
    from online etailers to save sales tax and a few dollars on top of it.

Think about it. 2 years ago the primary places to go look for a good TV were
    Ultimate, Best Buy, Circuit City and Sears. Sure, you could go to Wally World
    and Target as well but you couldn't really see any big TV's there, or the top
    of the market sets......for that you had to go elsewhere.....

Now 3 of the 4 are gone and the 4th is struggling. Are we really going to have
    a market in the U.S. where appliance and electronics shopping entails a trip
    to the internet or home depot or lowes who don't stock anything, or a limited
    selection at Wal Mart?

The trend begins to really show it's colors when the retailers that benefitted
    from the survival of the fittest are in fact fighting for their own survival months
    later. Circuit City and Ultimate's demise didn't help Best Buy one bit!

Borders goes under, Barnes and Noble is struggling? Are we moving to a market
    where both of these retailers leave a wake of empty buildings? And for what?
    Books by Itunes ONLY? Are we going to be talking about giant book stores
    the way we're nostagic about 8 tracks someday soon? The way we look back on
    video stores?

The malls are slowly and in some regions quickly losing their anchors and replacing
    them with questionable fits that struggle themselves from day one. Montgomery
    Wards leaves Crossroads, Dave and Barrys moves in and now they are bankrupt too.

I sincerely hope a Saks or Nordstroms takes over at Quail. That mall is still incredibly
    packed and popular and so is Penn Sq. but the years aren't going to be kind if
    the trend continues. When the malls struggle with anchors, smaller retailers start
    moving to life style centers quickly as well. A lot of it is just simple economics. It
    takes a lot to heat and cool a MALL! But we must be aware that if we want
    the restaurants, and theatres around a mall to succeed even marginally, we must
    begin to support the anchor tenants with our business when possible.

We must support businesses that maintain displays for us to peruse if the price
    is "close". We must discontinue the practice of shop on saturday, but on Sunday (ONLINE)
    just to save sales tax.

The federal govt. also needs to step in and level the playing field with a simply administered
    ONLINE only sales tax to be distributed to states and localities according to their apportioned
    congressional districting and population density.

I did not used to feel this way, but today I would gladly pay a 9% surcharge to shop
    online if I thought that on a national basis it would prevent our already generic retail corridors
    from becoming shuttered ghost towns in 10 years or less. If we don't think that could happen,
    I would just bring up: Ultimate, Sears, Bed Bath and Beyond, Circuit City, Montgomery Wards,
    Blockbuster, Hollywood Video. This is just 3 years worth....and ONLY OKC...lots more before them and
    there will be many after. What's next? Dicks knocks out Academy and Bass Pro with
    a single punch only to be put to sleep itself because of some online sporting goods superpower
    called AMAZON SPORTS and OUTDOORS?

The retail industry supports the service industries and both employ a lot of our citizens. There is a
    very significant link in the survival of a restaurant such as BJ's at Quail and the demise of Sears.
    Would Steak and Ale and Bennigans still be around if there were no internet? Hell if I know......
    but we may be asking that question about many other businesses in the future if we don't
    examine our buying habits and ask ourselves if there is a price to be paid in the future
    for saving 6 bucks on a digital camera.....

Sorry for the rambling, but just had to put it down while it was on my mind.......Good night
    Sears.....Too bad you decided to stay locked in the 80s.......but it wasn't all your fault!
    I completely agree with this. I refuse to shop online unless I have no choice. Not only is it inconvenient having to wait a week to get stuff and then try to schedule a way to pick up a FedEx package, I would rather my money somewhat help the local economy rather than be sent to Seattle. Most people of my generation do not agree with me though. I am generally for lower taxes but I think we need to tax online retailers for the sake of saving brick and mortar options.

I am not sure Sears was hurt by online retailers though like Circuit City and Border's was. There problem was refusal to modernize while letting go of much of the quality they were once known for.

15. Default Re: Sears store at Quail Springs sold to General Growth

Actually you are wrong. The store is closing around the 23rd if not before. My best friend works there. Perhaps you should confirm it with an actual employee of the store rather than the manager (who apparently doesnt know anything) of a store next door to Sears. My friend is actually showing me the paperwork that the employees were given about the store closing and you are wrong.

By the way, I do hear from a reputable source at Quail Springs Mall that the space that Sears currently occupies will be leased by Von Maur. Quail Springs Mall has already secured Von Maur as a tenant. This will be a good thing for the mall, by bringing in a quality merchant.

Quote Originally Posted by jbkrems View Post
    By the way, I do hear from a reputable source at Quail Springs Mall that the space that Sears currently occupies will be leased by Von Maur. Quail Springs Mall has already secured Von Maur as a tenant. This will be a good thing for the mall, by bringing in a quality merchant.
    I've never been in a Von Maur but I've heard it's above Macy's/Dillard's but below Nordstrom/Saks. Is this true?

This may be just what QS has needed. Maybe following the entrance of Von Maur some of the low end mom and pop stores can be replaced by more quality tenants throughout the whole mall. There is no reason OKC cannot support two good malls.

I feel bad for Sears. They've tried and tried and things just aren't working out. There's no room for a large general retailer as a mall anchor anymore. They really had a little of everything where Penney's and others left that behind a long time ago.

Yes, Von Maur is meant to compete more with Nordrstroms or Bloomingdales, and be better than Macys or Dillards. They will definitely have to compete with Dillards at QS Mall.

20. Default Re: Sears store at Quail Springs sold to General Growth

Shouldn't be hard, the QS Dillard's is a dump.

Quote Originally Posted by CuatrodeMayo View Post
    Shouldn't be hard, the QS Dillard's is a dump.
    You know it's funny. I thought that too, but I went over there the other day and it seems like the quality of their merchandise is increasing. Maybe it is just me, but the other day when I was there, they had jackets upwards of $600(not even leather), $650 shoes, $450 jeans, and bedspreads around $500. Now maybe they have always had this and I just haven't noticed.

Quote Originally Posted by Plutonic Panda View Post
    You know it's funny. I thought that too, but I went over there the other day and it seems like the quality of their merchandise is increasing. Maybe it is just me, but the other day when I was there, they had jackets upwards of $600(not even leather), $650 shoes, $450 jeans, and bedspreads around $500. Now maybe they have always had this and I just haven't noticed.
    They need to remodel it to make it look more presentable. The QS Dillard's isn't even as nice as as Penney's and when you go inside its like stepping back into the 1980s. The Penn Square Dillard's is one of the nicest department stores in the metro.

Quote Originally Posted by zookeeper View Post
    I feel bad for Sears. They've tried and tried and things just aren't working out. There's no room for a large general retailer as a mall anchor anymore. They really had a little of everything where Penney's and others left that behind a long time ago.
    Agreed. This is why QS needs to set the bar high going forward. They were the "middle class" mall for the longest time but middle class malls today aren't able to compete with the likes of Wal-Mart, Target, and the many other big box retailers. Malls pretty much have to go upscale or die.

QS Dillard's definitely needs a facelift. However, they really need more space too. They have so much stuff shoved in there, you can barely get between the racks, much less actually be able to look at the merchandise squeezed onto them. I live in Edmond, but I almost refuse to go to that Dillards. I always just go to Penn Square. So much nicer.

Quote Originally Posted by Debzkidz View Post
    QS Dillard's definitely needs a facelift. However, they really need more space too. They have so much stuff shoved in there, you can barely get between the racks, much less actually be able to look at the merchandise squeezed onto them. I live in Edmond, but I almost refuse to go to that Dillards. I always just go to Penn Square. So much nicer.
    Agreed. I would say with Von Maur coming in a facelift to Dillard's will be almost inevitable if they want to compete.

Quote Originally Posted by Plutonic Panda View Post
    Just so I can verify, you actually inspected the material and found it to be of higher quality than previous occasions, correct? I'm just making sure because your post makes it sound like you think that just because something is expensive that it is high quality.

Thread Information