Widgets Magazine
Page 3 of 18 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Von Maur

Default Re: Sears store at Quail Springs sold to General Growth

Quote Originally Posted by soonerliberal View Post
    I agree that would be a good place for a Belk.

... and then for the dream: life would be really joyful if we could get Penney's to sell out their spot in Penn Square and get a Nordstrom.
    Belk would be a great fit for Quail Springs. We had Belk in Charlotte and I shopped there quite a bit as they had excellent sales. They can range in scale from being like a JC Penney's to above Dillard's. Little Rock has a Belk, as do many other smaller cities in the South. I think it would work well in OKC.

2. Default Re: Sears store at Quail Springs sold to General Growth

There are two or three in Tulsa and one in Stillwater.

I know Owasso has one.

Quote Originally Posted by OklahomaNick View Post
    ... This does not mean gloom and doom for Sears.. Yet!
    For the company, nope. For the local employees and customers it does appears there is a G&D cloud on the horizon.

From the sales notice:
    Sears has received the sale proceeds and the stores will continue to operate as Sears locations into 2013 or 2014 with final closing dates to be determined and announced later this year.

Quote Originally Posted by CuatrodeMayo View Post
    There are two or three in Tulsa and one in Stillwater.
    One in Tulsa. One in Owasso. One in Stillwater.

Quote Originally Posted by kevinpate View Post
    For the company, nope. For the local employees and customers it does appears there is a G&D cloud on the horizon.

From the sales notice:
    Walking into a Sears store these days is like being transported back into the 1970's. It just oozes old. I remember when going to Sears was A Big Deal, but now its To Be Avoided. I grew up in a substantially Sears house; Kenmore fridge, Kenmore vaccuum, Sears tabletop TV, Sears garage door openers, DieHard car batteries, Craftsman tools...but now, in the middle of my generation, I've gone just the opposite - zero Sears appliances or TV's, just ditched our last remaining DieHard (piece of junk) battery, installed my own Genie garage door openers, and my last Crafstman ratchet just stripped out (and I don't even know if they even honor the lifetime tool warranty anymore). I suspect I'm not the only one with this general experience. Sears just isn't relevant anymore, at least not for us.

I hear they're still gasping/limping along financially, but how escapes me. Surely not from my dollars....I thoroughly expect the Sequoyah Reding store to be spontaneously boarded up and closed just any time, even if it isn't on the list at the moment

Quote Originally Posted by SoonerDave View Post
    Walking into a Sears store these days is like being transported back into the 1970's. It just oozes old. I remember when going to Sears was A Big Deal, but now its To Be Avoided. I grew up in a substantially Sears house; Kenmore fridge, Kenmore vaccuum, Sears tabletop TV, Sears garage door openers, DieHard car batteries, Craftsman tools...but now, in the middle of my generation, I've gone just the opposite - zero Sears appliances or TV's, just ditched our last remaining DieHard (piece of junk) battery, installed my own Genie garage door openers, and my last Crafstman ratchet just stripped out (and I don't even know if they even honor the lifetime tool warranty anymore). I suspect I'm not the only one with this general experience. Sears just isn't relevant anymore, at least not for us.
    Ditto. They have really destroyed themselves.

8. Default Re: Sears store at Quail Springs sold to General Growth

Quote Originally Posted by Oil Capital View Post
    One in Tulsa. One in Owasso. One in Stillwater.
    Close enough.

General Growth announced today that Nordstrom will replace Sears in The Woodlands Mall. Dare we hope General Growth is working on a similar deal for Quail Springs?

Quote Originally Posted by Oil Capital View Post
    General Growth announced today that Nordstrom will replace Sears in The Woodlands Mall. Dare we hope General Growth is working on a similar deal for Quail Springs?
    Its good bet their trying and may be close to securing a deal with someone(maybe not Nordstrom).

Quote Originally Posted by jn1780 View Post
    Its good bet their trying and may be close to securing a deal with someone(maybe not Nordstrom).
    If Nordstrom was to locate in OKC it would be at Penn Square. It would however be a huge deal for Quail Springs though and would likely bring more upscale retailers to the mall. My bet is either Belk or H&M to replace Sears. I read an article that says there are already plans in place for what is going to happen with that location after Sears departs. Quail Springs is still a solid mall, but they must play their cards right to remain that way. Right now, there are way too many cheapo local stores in the mall dragging the entire thing down.

It will not be Nordstrom.

I'd be willing to bet that Von Maur takes Sears' place at Quail Springs. They've been quoted as saying that they want to enter the market here sometime in 2013. If you look at their locations throughout the U.S., they locate in malls similar to Quail Springs (not the high-end malls).

There was a recent article in the Houston Chronicle that mentioned the possibility of a Nordstrom store opening in The Woodlands. What is the source of the rumors of a store at Tulsa's Woodland Hills Mall?

What rumor re: Woodland Hills Mall? this is the first I've seen of such rumor.

Regarding The Woodlands, that is more than a possibility. Nordstrom and General Growth announced last week that Nordstrom will replace Sears in The Woodlands Mall.

My friend worked at the Quail Springs store. They told me that the employees can go in and see how much their store and just about every other Sears store does in sales everyday. The top 2 Sears stores in Oklahoma that make the most money are the Quail Springs store and the Woodland Hills one in Tulsa. Since the Quail Springs area is still growing, they sold the building because of what the property is worth. GGP listed the building for what Quail Springs store made on Black Friday last year.

Quote Originally Posted by ryanokc3 View Post
    My friend worked at the Quail Springs store. They told me that the employees can go in and see how much their store and just about every other Sears store does in sales everyday. The top 2 Sears stores in Oklahoma that make the most money are the Quail Springs store and the Woodland Hills one in Tulsa. Since the Quail Springs area is still growing, they sold the building because of what the property is worth. GGP listed the building for what Quail Springs store made on Black Friday last year.
    If the Quail Springs store is one of the top two Sears locations in the state why is it closing and not somewhere like SW 44th and Western?

Quote Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
    If the Quail Springs store is one of the top two Sears locations in the state why is it closing and not somewhere like SW 44th and Western?
    The Quail Springs store is very valuable real estate. Sears, who owns most of its stores, is staying in business by selling their better real estate holdings such Quail Springs.

19. Default Re: Sears store at Quail Springs sold to General Growth

Quote Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
    It seems like the 3 mile income demographics of SW 44 and Western are more conducive to a Sears than the 3 mile income of Quail Springs Mall. Like it or not, Sears faces some serious brand legitimacy at this point.

Has anyone heard when the date this store is closing? Just wondering when I can shop for tools during a "Store Closing Sale"

If sears didn't have Craftsman brand still, i think they would have gone under quite some time ago... I know people that drive all the way from far northwest oklahoma just to go to a sears to get their craftsman tools.

Quote Originally Posted by jedicurt View Post
    If sears didn't have Craftsman brand still, i think they would have gone under quite some time ago... I know people that drive all the way from far northwest oklahoma just to go to a sears to get their craftsman tools.
    Seriously? Do they not realize that Craftsman has taken on the general name of Crapsman in some circles? Sears sold out the name years ago, and the quality that used to go with that name was sold out years before that. You can get tools with the "Craftsman" name plastered on them at Ace Hardware now.

I think the store-brand tools over at AutoZone are better than most of their Craftsman counterparts. Took a barely used Crafstman ratchet that had stripped out to get my "lifetime warranty replacement," and I was shocked to see that they had, indeed, figured out a way to make the same thing even cheaper. Plastic release button. Plastic direction switch. Gag. Felt like it would break in my hand.

I couldn't even begin to think how long they'd last in the hands of someone who actually depended on them.

Sears/Craftsman rant mode off.

i didn't say that i liked craftsman tools... i'm just saying that i know people who drive a long ways just to get that craftsman name... my father being one of them.

I read recently that the most value within the Sears Holding Corporation is the insured brands of Craftsman, Kenmore and Die Hard, $1.8 billion.

Quote Originally Posted by SoonerDave View Post
    Seriously? Do they not realize that Craftsman has taken on the general name of Crapsman in some circles? Sears sold out the name years ago, and the quality that used to go with that name was sold out years before that. You can get tools with the "Craftsman" name plastered on them at Ace Hardware now.

I think the store-brand tools over at AutoZone are better than most of their Craftsman counterparts. Took a barely used Crafstman ratchet that had stripped out to get my "lifetime warranty replacement," and I was shocked to see that they had, indeed, figured out a way to make the same thing even cheaper. Plastic release button. Plastic direction switch. Gag. Felt like it would break in my hand.

I couldn't even begin to think how long they'd last in the hands of someone who actually depended on them.

Sears/Craftsman rant mode off.
    It takes a long time to kill previously established good reputation apparently.

Thread Information