Widgets Magazine
Page 18 of 18 FirstFirst ... 131415161718

Thread: Von Maur

Default Re: Von Maur

Van Maur would do better at Penn Square if there was a spot. Quail Springs was a bad bet with mall management not doing much to improve the mall while new development is taking place east and west of the mall.

Once Warren finally builds it's Northside location this mall is finished in its current form.

Quote Originally Posted by chuck5815 View Post
    Let's not forget that LA is not representative of 99% of America.
    LOL. I would say LA is almost the opposite like very, very few cities are like Los Angeles.

Quote Originally Posted by Plutonic Panda View Post
    LOL. I would say LA is almost the opposite like very, very few cities are like Los Angeles.
    That's exactly my point. Most people, outside of New Yorkers and LA folk, would balk at a $7 hot dog unless it's handcrafted from Wagyu Beef and topped with caviar and black truffle mayo.

That's exactly my point. Most people, outside of New Yorkers and LA folk, would balk at a $7 hot dog unless it's handcrafted from Wagyu Beef and topped with caviar and black truffle mayo.
    Maybe. But that isn't necessarily the case In Sedona, Dallas, Houston, Austin, Albuquerque, Phoenix, San Diego, Salt Lake City, San Francisco, and many other cities I've been to where I haven't experienced people being as cheap as I notice a lot of people are in OKC. That point isn't made by buying $7 hot dogs. It is the brands I notice people wearing, the cars, the way homes are kept up, extra money that is put into the infrastructure for aesthetics, among other things.

Oklahoma City seems to be improving in this field though. I want to see the city become more fashionable anyhow.

Von Maur was refreshing when it opened, but their inventory doesn't turn over, and they don't have much interesting merchandise. I do most of my shopping online, and VM hasn't done much to draw me in. And Penn Sqaure Mall is depressing.

I wonder how H&M is doing? That's probably the only living brand left at Quail. Would be super sad if it didn't work out and dropped out of the market.

My girlfriend and I went to the mall yesterday to shop for my birthday gifts from her to me. We went to Von Maur and found TWO great shirts on sale and she bought me both. Contrary to the opinions of others here, its a great store if you can find good deals.

Quote Originally Posted by Plutonic Panda View Post
    Maybe. But that isn't necessarily the case In Sedona, Dallas, Houston, Austin, Albuquerque, Phoenix, San Diego, Salt Lake City, San Francisco, and many other cities I've been to where I haven't experienced people being as cheap as I notice a lot of people are in OKC. That point isn't made by buying $7 hot dogs. It is the brands I notice people wearing, the cars, the way homes are kept up, extra money that is put into the infrastructure for aesthetics, among other things.

Oklahoma City seems to be improving in this field though. I want to see the city become more fashionable anyhow.
    I'm not exactly sure what the objective here is. Keeping up appearances with some ever-moving standard of chic? Proving we're not cheap by going into more debt to buy cars that impress the neighbors? I'm just trying to figure out how the city survived as long as it has without suddenly feeling the need to keep up the *appearance* of keeping up with the Joneses...

Quote Originally Posted by Chadanth View Post
    Von Maur was refreshing when it opened, but their inventory doesn't turn over, and they don't have much interesting merchandise. I do most of my shopping online, and VM hasn't done much to draw me in. And Penn Sqaure Mall is depressing.
    How Is Penn Square depressing? It has the better stores. J Crew/Madewell, Banana Republic, a junior anchor Forever 21, Jos A Bank, Chicos, Ann Taylor and loft, J Jill, Cheesecake Factory, Fossil, Build a Bear, Texas de Brazil, whiskey Cake, Eddie Bauer, Brookstone, White House Black Market, Pottery Barn, Williams Sonoma, Lego, Michael Kors, Apple, Coach, Microsoft, flagship Dillard's stores, Macy's, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick View Post
    How Is Penn Square depressing? It has the better stores. J Crew/Madewell, Banana Republic, a junior anchor Forever 21, Jos A Bank, Chicos, Ann Taylor and loft, J Jill, Cheesecake Factory, Fossil, Build a Bear, Texas de Brazil, whiskey Cake, Eddie Bauer, Brookstone, White House Black Market, Pottery Barn, Williams Sonoma, Lego, Michael Kors, Apple, Coach, Microsoft, flagship Dillard's stores, Macy's, etc.
    Sorry, I meant to say Quail Springs. My bad.

Agree. I have mentioned numerous times on this thread that OKC and Oklahoma really need to step up to the game in attracting high quality jobs. Because Oklahoma does not value higher education, this is going to be tough battle. I am aware that Boeing and GE have located jobs to OKC, however it must continue to strive to land corporate HQ's. Dallas is stealing them all away from Southern California!

13. Default Re: Von Maur

Let's not forget that LA is not representative of 99% of America.
    Actually, I'm pretty sure the LA metro represents about 5% of the US...

Anchor Down seems to be doing well.

Not to further this digression, but from my observation, food in Oklahoma costs noticeably more than most large cities. My in-laws were with us for a while following the birth of our child and could not believe how expensive our groceries were compared to New York, like almost double in some cases. And I've heard that from a lot of coast transplants. When it comes to local/small businesses, the low population and/or competition makes it difficult to offer cheap gourmet eats like you find in bigger cities.

Thread Information