Widgets Magazine
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: 39th Street Aerial 4/4/76

Default 39th Street Aerial 4/4/76

This has special meaning to me because I graduated from Putnam City in 1978, so this photo was from the spring of my sophomore year.

I did my best to label it -- everything noted has been verified through the County Assessor and/or old ads.

Thought others might enjoy seeing it, because it was the hey-day of all food places and was still the place to cruise.

Anybody remember the name of the small restaurant on the NE corner of Ann Arbor & 39th? Think they served steaks? It's a Taco Bell now.

In fact, absolutely none of these places are in business any more.

Default Re: 39th Street Aerial 4/4/76

Wow, that does bring back memories. I graduated from Yukon in '78. We didn't get a McDonalds until the fall of '77 or early early spring of '78 as it opened during the late part of my senior year. Thus, we didn't have much in Yukon other than Sonic, Pizza Hut and Ken's. We had another small drive-in but I cannot remember the name. So a lot of us would cruise 39th on Friday nights because of the presence of more food joints. Taco Bell was one of our favorites. And I wish I had a dollar for every round of golf I played at that Putt-Putt. We were there a lot. Thanks for posting this photo.

Just figured out the restaurant on the NE corner of 39th & Ann Arbor was Larry's Steak House.

Here's a photo of that Putt-Putt. Spent many hours there myself:

I remember that putt-putt! Only because, I would climb over the orange fence and go play on the tracks behind the place. Big rail fan.

Nice pic and nice memories as well especially the putt-putt along with cruising up and down 39th st.
    Wasnt Bonapartes the place where you could order your food from your table via the telephone?

Wasnt Bonapartes the place where you could order your food from your table via the telephone?
    That was Across the Street.

Bonaparte's was a drive-in.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete Brzycki View Post
    That was Across the Street.

Bonaparte's was a drive-in.
    I seem to remember a Bonapartes around the hefner/britton and may area where you could order by phone at your table. Was in the early/mid 70s so maybe im incorrect.

Just figured out the restaurant on the NE corner of 39th & Ann Arbor was Larry's Steak House.
    Yes, it was Larry's.

Pete, Steak and Ale was the next property east of Taco Bueno at 39th/Meridian

In fact, absolutely none of these places are in business any more.
    Taco Bueno is still there, just been remodeled over the years.Also, no biggie but it's misspelled on the map. On a side note, my dad was VP of Big L for about 30 years or so. As a kid, I'd play at Putt Putt all the time.

True about Bueno! That is the one exception, which is remarkable if you think about it.

One of the very first TB's was at 50th and MacArthur but has been long gone for a while now.

The place on N May was Across The Street.

There was a Bonaparte's inside Shepherd Mall, with table phones for ordering.

I worked on the train that came up to the location of the map from the South. We would then get on the East-West track and go East as far as Portland, and go West to just past MacArthur. Lots of customers for rail service--Wiley Bennett (butter house) and GE to the East, and a lumber yard West of MacArthur, and a team track East of MacArthur. The main customer at the team track was Kiespert's grocery store that would get carloads of paper sacks.

Quote Originally Posted by OKCisOK4me View Post
    I remember that putt-putt! Only because, I would climb over the orange fence and go play on the tracks behind the place. Big rail fan.

Quote Originally Posted by metro View Post
    Taco Bueno is still there, just been remodeled over the years.Also, no biggie but it's misspelled on the map. On a side note, my dad was VP of Big L for about 30 years or so. As a kid, I'd play at Putt Putt all the time.
    If you look down at the Related Threads, at the bottom of the page, you may note that there used to be a place called Dunkin' Dounts on 39th.

Wasn't "Big L" an alternative name for Leonhardt Lumber? After Carey Lumber went away, Leonhardt Lumber was my lumberyard of choice. (Back then I was into Carpentry and Remodeling). I think we ate a fine lunch at Larry's Steakhouse one day while doing some work for a fellow who lived not far from that area named Don Treece. Perhaps right before or after picking up some supplies at Big L.

That picture of the Putt Putt course flashed me back to Saturday mornings of my childhood (in Boulder, CO) which were spent playing all morning for a couple of dollars. The one up there was identical to the one in the picture. (Maybe they were all identical).

Wasn't "Big L" an alternative name for Leonhardt Lumber?
    Yes, the full name was Leonhardt's Big L Home Center.

Not only did we have Larry's on 39th and Ann Arbor but at the same time we had Curly's at 38th and Mac and Moe's at 49th and Mac. All were inside of two square miles or less. None of that was planned. Moe's is the only survivor and Moe Howard was the last of the main Stooges to die.

That is, perhaps, the coolest bit of (the former) Route 66 trivia EVER! =-)

There was a Bonaparte's Pizza & Family Restaurant in Casady Square (Penn & Britton) in the late 60's / early 70's.

It was a sit-down place, not a drive-in.

Quote Originally Posted by RadicalModerate View Post
    If you look down at the Related Threads, at the bottom of the page, you may note that there used to be a place called Dunkin' Dounts on 39th.

Wasn't "Big L" an alternative name for Leonhardt Lumber? After Carey Lumber went away, Leonhardt Lumber was my lumberyard of choice. (Back then I was into Carpentry and Remodeling). I think we ate a fine lunch at Larry's Steakhouse one day while doing some work for a fellow who lived not far from that area named Don Treece. Perhaps right before or after picking up some supplies at Big L.

That picture of the Putt Putt course flashed me back to Saturday mornings of my childhood (in Boulder, CO) which were spent playing all morning for a couple of dollars. The one up there was identical to the one in the picture. (Maybe they were all identical).
    Dunkin Donuts is still there, they just remodeled it a few months ago, but still open. Yes the L stands for Leonhardt. They had 3 stores, this one was the main and original store, one on I-35 and I forget the exit, like SW 59th or so, and one in Edmond on Broadway Extention, it is a furniture store/ Switzers Storage by Earls BBQ now. Builders Square and eventually Home Depot and Lowes drove them out of biz over time.
    Yes, the full name was Leonhardt's Big L Home Center.
    Pete, don't think that's 100% correct, I'll have to ask my dad the official name. Big L was what most referred to it as.

Quote Originally Posted by UnclePete View Post
    I worked on the train that came up to the location of the map from the South. We would then get on the East-West track and go East as far as Portland, and go West to just past MacArthur. Lots of customers for rail service--Wiley Bennett (butter house) and GE to the East, and a lumber yard West of MacArthur, and a team track East of MacArthur. The main customer at the team track was Kiespert's grocery store that would get carloads of paper sacks.
    That East rail spur used to run all the way to May Avenue. In the late 60s/early 70s I remember a trestle that ran across Grand Blvd between 36th and 39th. The trestle was demolished and the spur east of Grand was abandoned when I-240 (now I-44) was built.

Metro,
    Curious what you are questioning, the original name or whether Big L was called Leonhardt's Big L. I don't remember the Leonhardt's being retained but I could be wrong, but I am certain the Big L was originally Leonhardt's Lumber. We went there often before it became Big L. Now, I don't know if it was purchased from Leonhardt and renamed. I guess somebody will straighten me out.
    C. T.
    Quote Originally Posted by metro View Post
    Pete, don't think that's 100% correct, I'll have to ask my dad the official name. Big L was what most referred to it as.

I think maybe "Big L" was an early attempt to keep up with the dearly departed "Payless Cashways" or that other place . . . that other "Home Center" . . . that disappeared over there on 36th west of May Ave. Or was it Penn? I think it started with a "B" . . . Oh! "Builders Square"!!!

Frankly, I'm still wondering what a "Dount" is and if they are actually suitable for Dunkin'.
    (See related link, below)
    Is it maybe what is technically referred to as a "Berliner"?
    As in "Ich bin eine . . ." =)

Bottom Line: Big L was a great place to buy. Not so much to "shop" but to buy. It sort of reminded me a little of Koelsche's Hardware out there on the edge of The Hinterlands near Midwest City and didn't disappoint in comparison with the Leonhardt Lumber location off of I-35 and 44th.

Quote Originally Posted by metro
    I-35 and I forget the exit, like SW 59th
    since it is east of santa fe, that'd be "se" 59th. -M

Thread Information