Widgets Magazine

Thread: Denver's Old Airport

Jay Guest

Default Denver's Old Airport

I know many of you have been talking about development and urban renewal.

I stumbled across this a year ago I think I may have posted it on Oklahoma’s Own.

This is a development concept that Denver did with the old Stapleton airport. I think it makes a lot of sense. In fact it will be more than likely be the future of development in America. Imagine living somewhere to where everything is in walking distance. Imagine Work, School, Shopping, and Dining all nothing more than a short walk from each other.

This development is going to catch the eye of many companies looking to move or expand. I think OKC should try this concept. Maybe not on the scale Denver did but something similar.

Energy prices are going up every year. Therefore, it would not be a bad idea for every major city to do developments like this. Imagine only driving your car because you wanted to not because you had to.

Click on the link below and take a few minutes to explore the site and come back and tell me what you think.

http://www.stapletondenver.com/main.asp

2. Default Re: Denver's Old Airport

In 2000, I traveled to Tampa, Florida and flew through Denver International. I had an overnight layover, so United sent me to the Doubletree Hotel across from the former Stapleton International. The next morning, the Hotel shuttle transported me back to DIA. While on the way, I could see the development that is where Stapleton was.

I do not remember much, partly because my flight from Tampa landed at 11:00 at night, and my flight to Oklahoma City departed at 6:00 AM, so I was not fully awake. It did seem to be fairly decent in looks, however. Five years later, I bet it really looks good.

Patrick Guest

Default Re: Denver's Old Airport

That's a pretty cool reuse of an older property. Hmmm...looks kind of like the development I was hoping for for the Hill! But that's a whole other topic.

I hope our Town Center development can resemble this, only more open, instead of in a huge terminal building.

Thread Information