Widgets Magazine
Page 1 of 7 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: One of OKC's most overrated restaurants....

Default One of OKC's most overrated restaurants....

Although I've never eaten at Ranch House Steakhouse a friend of mine did. He said Ranch House must be one of OKC's most overrated places to eat. I disagree. I say Ted's is the most overrated....
    Last edited by Pete; 02-25-2012 at 07:15 PM.

Default Re: One of OKC's most overrated restruants....

Never even heard of it... did he say y? Can't just say he didn't like it without posting any info. You should hit him up again...

Quote Originally Posted by OKCisOK4me View Post
    Never even heard of it... did he say y? Can't just say he didn't like it without posting any info. You should hit him up again...
    He said the quality of steak for the price wasn't even close. He has plenty of money so he's not a tight wad. His main compliant was for such a highly ranked steak house the quality was lacking.

Your friend must have terrible taste in food. The Ranch is the best steakhouse in town.

Ted's Cafe Escondito. Never understood why the lines.

If you are going for a quality steak, Ranch is definitely one of the best. Boulevard was not near as good the last time I went. Also, Deep Fork was extremely disappointing the last time I went. I got a salmon special that was highly recommended by my waiter. The fish was ok, but other than the potatoes the rest of the sides that came with it were completely inedible.

7. Default Re: One of OKC's most overrated restruants....

Been to the Ranch - I really liked it, but I have a hard time spending money on steaks because I always feel I could have grilled one at home that tasted as good or 10x better for a fraction of the price.

My list of overrated OKC restaurants (food vs. quality vs. hype vs. undeserved good reputation); (haven't we done this before) Cattleman's (just terrible to okay food in a dirty old restaurant), Deep fork (overpriced for inconsistent quality), Petroleum Club (never had a meal there that wasn't like a bad Furr's experience), Haunted House (don't like anything about it but also didn't hate it), Bobo's (the place white people go to get street cred - and the perfect way to ruin a chicken), Toby Keith's I Love This Bar and Grill (wait an hour+ for food you could have made at home and it would have tasted 10x better, and I hate the atmosphere), Rococo (only been to the original location. Place is dead at lunch and you still can't eat within an hour and the lunch and dinners are very inconsistent in quality, only had one good meal there for the money), Stella (tiny food, high prices, rude staff and long wait times), Ted's (okay food but not deserving of any hype what-so-ever), Bricktown Brewery (haven't been since some recent makeover, but always thought they existed for tourists or locals trapped in Bricktown - speaking of...), Spaghetti Warehouse (see Brewery comments), Crabtown (Chili's quality seafood) and Shack (I love seafood and it always seems most of what they offer is fried and not that tasty - always leave feeling ill).

My list of overrated restaurants people from OKC often drive to; Boulevard (used to be best, gone way down hill), Whispering Pines (weird layout, lazy wait staff, too dark and food is poor quality compared to price), Pete's Place (I've never had anything that wasn't covered with bland red sauce), Eischen's Bar (remove the drive and the atmosphere and its just okay chicken).

Johnnie's. Top 5 worst burger I've ever eaten. They're dry. They pile on way too much cheese and they're over priced. I like the chili cheese frankfurter ok If I have to eat there.

As for The Ranch Steakhouse. I haven't been there in a while but it was pretty good last time I was there. Too bad to hear Blvd has fallen off. Used to be my favorite.

Ooooh, this looks fun!

Going to have to second Ted's as being overrated. That's not to say its bad, although last time I went it wasn't a good experience. Rubbery meat, chewy chips, so-so salsa, etc.

Also, I don't get the hub-bub over Deep Fork Grill. There is nothing special about it, except the prices of course. Last time I went I had a PoBoy with dry bread and my friend got a chicken dish with overcooked chicken. I think they opened at a time when upscale dining options were limited in OKC, and have not kept pace with expanding options in town.

By far the most overrated destination place here is Eischen's. Not bad food, but it is so bland. I've had better chicken at KFC. I also didn't have to walk through filth, wait for an hour just to jump for the next available table, or have to wipe off said table at the Colonel either. But I guess that gives the place its charm, maybe.

I've always been really impressed with The Ranch. It is certainly not cheap though.

Two hyped places I've never understood the allure are Big Truck Tacos and Tucker's onion burgers. Everybody I know just raves about both of them but honestly I don't get it. Eh, not the first time I'm on the outside looking in.

My 4 favorite OKC steak houses in this order:
    1) Red Prime
    2) Mahogany
    3) Mickey Mantles
    4) The Ranch

Quote Originally Posted by OKCTalker View Post
    Ted's Cafe Escondito. Never understood why the lines.

one word explains the lines ... sheeple

C'mon now, let's give some credence and clearance to Cattlemen's as an OKC institution. My out of town guests have always enjoyed the ambiance of a steak and a stroll through our remnants of the district of yesterday's Stockyards. Best steak?... heck no. Good steak?... heck yes. And that twenty year TV ad of the apocryphal poker game, and the descendence of George Bush #1 to sample the T-bone... it is tradition. And where else can a diner push the culinary envelope to partake of some deep-fried bull testicles? ("House dressing be damned... try these treats of the frittes of the a.k.a lamb").

Red vinyl seats in those old circular booths, burnished through time by the backsides of more than just cowboys. It is ours. Let us celebrate it and enjoy it for just what it is. It is, like our city, fairly free of pretensions.

14. Default Re: One of OKC's most overrated restruants....

I just ate at the Ranch tonight. It was pretty good. But Boulevard is still #1. People who say it has gone downhill are crazy.

Its all very subjective. We have eaten at Toby Keiths 20 or so times and have never had a bad meal. There are some things I like better than others as with any place. Everything we have ordered has been served quickly and as ordered. Seems pricey at first (but not out of line with other Bricktown places) but portions are large enough to make at least 1 or 2 more meals out of it at home. The atmosphere isn't for everyone and I can see where that might downgrade your review of the place. The steaks I have gotten there are very tasty, cooked as ordered and tender enough to cut with a fork (without it being meally)

Only been to Ted's once years ago when the only location was there on north May. it was lunch time and the place was packed. Wasn't impressed, seemed about on par with most of the tex-mex places. Cant even tell you what I ordered. haven't been back.

We used to go to Spaghetti Warehouse until my parents got burned out on it and switched to Toby Keiths. But I always found the food to be excellent when I went. I don't venture DT by myself often.

Still havent made it to BTT, just not in that area much. Have made it to Tuckers and Mutts, but both seemed over rated from a value for the money standpoint when there are many other options around. IMO

If you like any of the above, that is great and I won't cast aspersions on your ancestors or anything like that. LOL, everyone is welcome to eat where they want.

Big Truck Tacos, it used to be good when they first opened but now the food is just a pile of grease and more grease juice served in a basket. Sushi Neko, pretty much paying for the atmosphere but it's a 50/50 shot on if you get good food or inedible food. Musashi's, just disgusting!! They gave me a BROWN rotten avocado on the side when I asked for an avocado on the side, seriously??! Shoguns, same as any other hibachi place except it's not good. Deep Fork Grill, they gave me 400 dollars in gift cards to use after a poor review I made on Urbanspoon so I was excited that they would go to the effort to try again and serve us but the food was once again extremely horrible however, the service is always very friendly. The Wedge, soggy burnt pizza. Mutt's (not) Amazing Hot Dogs, just an average overpriced greasy hot dog with more stuff on it. And I have to agree with most that The Ranch is very good but sometimes inconsistent.

Quote Originally Posted by JuJuBeans View Post
    Big Truck Tacos, it used to be good when they first opened but now the food is just a pile of grease and more grease juice served in a basket. Sushi Neko, pretty much paying for the atmosphere but it's a 50/50 shot on if you get good food or inedible food. Musashi's, just disgusting!! They gave me a BROWN rotten avocado on the side when I asked for an avocado on the side, seriously??! Shoguns, same as any other hibachi place except it's not good. Deep Fork Grill, they gave me 400 dollars in gift cards to use after a poor review I made on Urbanspoon so I was excited that they would go to the effort to try again and serve us but the food was once again extremely horrible however, the service is always very friendly. The Wedge, soggy burnt pizza. Mutt's (not) Amazing Hot Dogs, just an average overpriced greasy hot dog with more stuff on it. And I have to agree with most that The Ranch is very good but sometimes inconsistent.
    It sounds like you should try just cooking at home. LOL

18. Default Re: One of OKC's most overrated restruants....

I am really amazed at some peoples descriptions and and reviews of places. I am only 28. There are people on here older and younger than myself, but being my age I know what I like and don't like. I know if I go somewhere and there are onions and tomatoes in a dish, I am most likely going to not like it. I consider myself a real picky eater too, which is why I stick to what I like and know what I will like.

I know this will be hard to comprehend to some people but I can't even remember the last time I had a bad meal at any restaurant. Since this thread was about steakhouses I have been to most that have been mentioned. Would I send someone to cattlemens for a steak? No. I would send them to boulevard, ranch, ect. But the steak and meal I had at cattlemans was very good, I just prefer the others better. Same with hamburger places and pizza places, they are all good to me, but some I rank higher than others. Im not saying there are some bad places out there but they usually shut down when they get no repeat business.

I understand that people have different tastes and opinions than one another, but to lash out at a hot dog place, seriosuly a HOT DOG place, or a pizza place, or to call some place inedible or distgusting is so dramatic I am willing to bet that the person who has the issues is yourselves, not the restaurant. I mean do you go in and order food that you have never tried before each time? Hmm cow eyeballs...never had that before, I wonder if I'll like it. And to go on websites and blast restaurants for your overbearing criticizing is so childish cause you represent a small percentage of the population.

Sounds like you guys need to stay at home and make your food how you want it. (Rant Over)

The Ranch is easily my favorite steak in town. I can't believe someone didnt like it!

1. Ranch
    2. Mahogany
    3. Boulevard

Quote Originally Posted by tsou89 View Post
    Johnnie's. Top 5 worst burger I've ever eaten. They're dry. They pile on way too much cheese and they're over priced. I like the chili cheese frankfurter ok If I have to eat there.
    I agree with this 100%. Add me to the club that thinks Ted's is overrated. The food is not terrible, but it's nothing to write home about. I have attended a couple of work parties there and have had very good service, but it's not on my list of places I like to go.

Oklahoma is lacking in the true Tex Mex department. It's funny when friends from Texas come up their opinion is the exact opposite of what I have read in this thread, they think that Ted's and Pablano are about the only places worth going to. I have to agree wih them, there are few options here that remind me of restaurants down there. So maybe when you guys are saying you don't like the place what you are really saying is you don't like that particular style of Mexican food. Personally I think that is why they are so popular -- there are very few Tex like options here, so everyone who wants that goes there.

I have a friend who works at Opus Prime Steakhouse. What do people think of Opus? Urbanspoon indicates that people don't tend to like it...I can't form much of an opinion, because I'm really not a steak kind of girl.

And I do have a hard time finding Mexican restaurants in OKC that I like. Ted's is okay, but I like places like Iguana much better. Many of the Mexican places in OKC, like Ted's, serve a very watery cheese with the chips and salsa, and it's just gross to me.

I will add Cajun King to the overrrated list. I have only been once, so I may have gone on a bad day, but everything was overcooked and underflavored.

ljbab728
    I do cook at home. I have my favourite restaurants here in OKC also. I just wrote down which I thought were overrated.

worthy cook
    Since, you were referring to me mostly. No, I am not being dramatic. I've had good food at many places also, but when you get bad food and you and your friends get food poisoning from it I would say it's inedible and not our faults and definitely not being dramatic as you say I am being. Dramatic would be having being served a copious amount of clams and complaining that one of the clams didn't open up.

Quote Originally Posted by citizenkane View Post
    Your friend must have terrible taste in food. The Ranch is the best steakhouse in town.
    Have you eaten at Red Prime? mahoghany?

Overrated

1. Cattlemans - place is a dump, needs sprucing up and cleaning, food is horrible. Insult to the finer OKC restaurants that most locals don't even know exist.Im not saying ruin the old vibe, just clean the place, fix the ripped vinyl seats, deep clean the place. Don't buy processed foods, buy fresh and local veggies, etc.

2. Deep Fork - overpriced for bland food, poor service.

3. Teds, good, but not all that. No need to wait ridiculous lines.

4. Toby Keith's, take away the celebrity name, you have cafeteria food.

5. Tucker's. Good concept and ownership, service, but the food doesn't live up to the hype or Good Egg standards. It pains me to say that as I'm a Good Egg junkie. Still good food, it's not Nics and almost twice the price.

Thread Information