Widgets Magazine
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567

Thread: One of OKC's most overrated restaurants....

Default Re: One of OKC's most overrated restaurants....

The Switzer places that I have been to all had great food, service and reasonable prices. An article a while back indicated that Switzer for some reason seems to go into business with/hire folks that end up cooking the books, embezzling etc, with Mr. Switzer left to pay the creditors.

I think he, Barry, had part ownership in some Fried Chicken place down around I-35 and Indian Hill Road back in the day. Not far from the former location of some ol' timey radio station on the frontier between Norman and Moore. Wanted to stop in to enjoy something akin to Eischen's without the drive to Okarchee. They were closed. (sigh). I'm pretty sure that some "Upscale Steak House" failed at the same location before Barry got involved with the re-do/re-branding.

Quote Originally Posted by RadicalModerate View Post
    I think he, Barry, had part ownership in some Fried Chicken place down around I-35 and Indian Hill Road back in the day. Not far from the former location of some ol' timey radio station on the frontier between Norman and Moore. Wanted to stop in to enjoy something akin to Eischen's without the drive to Okarchee. They were closed. (sigh). I'm pretty sure that some "Upscale Steak House" failed at the same location before Barry got involved with the re-do/re-branding.
    That was Barry's Chicken Ranch. They also had one in Bethany where numerous restaurants have closed since then. I liked Barry's Chicken Ranch. It reminded me of the food from Sleepy Hollow or Babe's in the Dallas area. He had a partner in that business that skipped out on him and left him with something like $77,000 in debts to pay. He was a partner with a couple of brothers from Minnesota that had wrestled at OU in a restaurant in Dallas and in OkC. The One in Dallas was called Joey's. I do not rememeber the name of the restaurant in OKC, but it was at the same location as the mexican restaurant. Both places closed.

I do not remember a steak place in the Barry's Chicken Ranch location but Indian Hills Inn was next door for years at I-35 and Indian Hills Road. It was a good steakhouse and I was surprised when it closed.

Bigray in Ok

Quote Originally Posted by Bigrayok View Post
    That was my point. The food was not Tex Mex. It was the kind of stuff Rick Bayless makes in Chicago. They added some Tex Mex dishes later to try to pull more people in. Rick Bayless could probably be successful in Oklahoma City today. He was not as well known then as he is now.

Bigray in Ok
    I ate there when Barry's restaurant opened and it was very good. That said, it didn't have Rick running it with his seasoned team, and they also did a poor job of marketing the concept. "Mexican" here is accepted as being Okie-Mex or Tex-Mex. The restaurant community was not educated about the food. Also, it was too big of a space to support the concept. Lastly, the team that ran it didn't do a great job, and nothing else has really succeeded in that location.

Apples and Oranges. If Rick were to open a Frontera Grill outpost here it would probably succeed wildly.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigrayok View Post
    T
    I do not remember a steak place in the Barry's Chicken Ranch location but Indian Hills Inn was next door for years at I-35 and Indian Hills Road. It was a good steakhouse and I was surprised when it closed.

Bigray in Ok
    There wasn't a steak place in BCR. And yes, Indian Hills nearby was danged good. Now, an outfit named Bill's had a fish, shrimp and gator tail place there in the BCR location for a spell. I had some work associates and some friends who swore by the light breaded uber thin catfish. I found it passable, but I enjoyed other menu items.

Bill's began down in Waurika. I think they were also in Stillwater for a time. Their website now shows only Waurika and Lone Grove. Never ate at any of the others.

Bill's also had a place in Tuttle (okay, a couple miles or so east of town) about ten years ago. Food was good; service had its moments, if you know what I mean. It's gone now, replaced by a day care.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by metro View Post
    Any restaurant Barry Switzer has touched has failed. and seriously are you comparing Rick Bayless to local food here? Rick Bayless doesn't do Tex Mex and I can assure you if they were his "recipes" they weren't cooked as Rick Bayless would cook them. Have you even been to one of his restaurants?
    I am pretty sure the chef trained under Rick. I have eaten at Frontera and Topolobampo in Chicago and this restaurant was trying similar dishes. However, at the time OKC wasn't very accepting of Mexocan if it wasn't meat and lots of cheese, lots of chips and more melted cheese. I would love it if it came back. Might work now.

Default Re: One of OKC's most overrated restruants....

Anything involving oil and protein is not for you.

Quote Originally Posted by labrat3 View Post
    People eat things that don't involve oil and protein? Interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by bucktalk View Post
    Although I've never eaten at Ranch House Steakhouse a friend of mine did. He said Ranch House must be one of OKC's most overrated places to eat. I disagree. I say Ted's is the most overrated....
    I do not like teds AT ALL.

Quote Originally Posted by labrat3 View Post
    You mean like this?

Or, like, not GOOD for you?
    Like, in general?

I think Cattlemens is definitely overated. Good steak one visit and bad steak another...

I personally like Teds. The food might be generic tex-mex, but it still tastes good IMO. I will say though that the prices at Teds are outrageous.

If you think Ted's is expensive, then don't go to any Mexican restaurants outside of OKC, Ted's prices are the same or less than most places that I have been to in DFW, Austin or Denver and you don't get near as much food or any side items to go with the meal like you do at Ted's.

Thread Information