Widgets Magazine
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast

Thread: One of OKC's most overrated restaurants....

1. Default Re: One of OKC's most overrated restaurants....

Quote Originally Posted by Larry OKC View Post
    is this a former Dairy Queen? If so, I have never been there but have had a couple of acquaintances that thought it was pretty good.
    I eat there every now and then. Sorta reminds me of Chelino's back when Chelino's was really good and not over priced. This type of 'Mexican' food though is just not my thing very often. Give me 1492 style most days.

Default Re: One of OKC's most overrated restaurants....

Quote Originally Posted by sooner88 View Post
    On that note, any suggestions for good, cheaper Mexican food?
    We really like Tulio's on the east side of Norman. Don't forget the foot long sopapillas

I wish there was a "Mexican" restaurant around here that served food like Rick Bayless prepares on that cooking show of his. His recipes seem to recognize the fact that a huge portion of Mexico is coastal and he does a lot of fish and seafood with traditional, authentic spices, herbs, other ingredients and techniques.

On the other hand, there probably is such a restaurant in OKC, I just don't know about it yet.
    I just hope is isn't overrated.

(I'm planning to do a poor imitation of something I recently saw him make involving fish, onions, potatoes and Adobo for dinner tonight. I might add some shrimp to the mix . . . That's what got me thinking along these lines.)

Quote Originally Posted by BradR View Post
    We really like Tulio's on the east side of Norman. Don't forget the foot long sopapillas
    They are really good. Tarahumara is my favorite in town, but Tulio's runs right there with them. New place downtown but I've not been in there as yet.

5. Default Re: One of OKC's most overrated restaurants....

It's been awhile since I've been, but Margarita's on May has an "authentic" menu that includes a fair amount of seafood.. Obviously nothing like Bayless, but might be worth a try.

Quote Originally Posted by RadicalModerate View Post
    I wish there was a "Mexican" restaurant around here that served food like Rick Bayless prepares on that cooking show of his. His recipes seem to recognize the fact that a huge portion of Mexico is coastal and he does a lot of fish and seafood with traditional, authentic spices, herbs, other ingredients and techniques.

On the other hand, there probably is such a restaurant in OKC, I just don't know about it yet.

(I'm planning to do a poor imitation of something I recently saw him make involving fish, onions, potatoes and Adobo for dinner tonight. I might add some shrimp to the mix . . . That's what got me thinking along these lines.)
    1492 is the closest thing to frontera grill (rick bayless spot) that there is in OKC ... and 1492 is very good

Quote Originally Posted by Teo9969 View Post
    San Marcos (There's also a San Marcos on 122nd and Rockwell, and I'm pretty sure it's the same people)
    Yeah I believe that's it.

Thanks for the tip on Margarita's.

I wonder what ever happened to the plans for 1492 to open a location in Cassady Square . . .

I'll let you know if my plans for "FauxBayless Pescado y Shrimpo con Adobo ala Casa de Juan" were overrated.
    Probably on the DIY Dinners thread. =)

There is also San Marcos on S.W. 59th between Agnew and Pennsylvania. In my opinion they turn out a great product and very good service.

Quote Originally Posted by Tritone View Post
    There is also San Marcos on S.W. 59th between Agnew and Pennsylvania. In my opinion they turn out a great product and very good service.
    I agree and very affordable...Normally choose Perico's when I am up on the northside but San Marcos is my fall back

i never understood why charcoal oven burgers still exists. tried them once and got a burger so greasy it couldve damn near put me into cardiac arrest.

12. Default Re: One of OKC's most overrated restaurants....

Quote Originally Posted by decepticobra View Post
    i never understood why charcoal oven burgers still exists. tried them once and got a burger so greasy it couldve damn near put me into cardiac arrest.
    Agreed! I know people who swear by the place and I've eaten there a handful of times and it was always pretty bad.

I adore Charcoal Oven. Their onion rings haven't been as consistently good recently, but I think the flavor of their burger is great and I live the sauce.

Have been wanting to try Charcoal Oven for the longest time, always hear good things about them.

Thumbs up Re: One of OKC's most overrated restaurants....

Charcoal Oven rules! I won't deny greasiness, but then, the 'take-out' nature of the place doesn't help that. Too bad there's no indoor tables so you wouldn't have to receive the goods wrapped in that grease-preserving paper.

I drive past it a lot, guess I'll have to stop in one of these days.

I had to put in my 2 cents here. I have noticed that a large percentage of Oklahomans have not allowed their taste buds to "grow up". And I am speaking from experience after dining with a wide array of my friends over time. A lot of times, if you present a more exotic or unfamiliar dish (or way of preparation) they immediately turn their nose up at something that would ordinarily be deemed as an outstanding dish. I cant tell you how many times I have heard some of my friends say, just give me a burger and fries!! REALLY?!?!

A lot of people may not remember this, but there was a mexican restaurant in Oklahoma City that used Rick Bayless's recipes and it flopped. When Barry Switzer owned a mexican restaurant at Lake Hefner (Was it Cabo San Lucas?) the recipes came from Rick Bayless. They added some Tex-Mex dishes later to try to pull more business in because the food being served was not what people that grew up in Oklahoma on Tex-Mex think of when they want mexican food. By the way, I have no problem with that. I prefer Tex-Mex even though I think of myself as a "foodie" that will try just about anything.

I think Rick Bayless has been a success in Chicago because people see his food as new and cutting edge. They were not raised on Tex-Mex and it is not what they expect when they go into a "mexican" restaurant. They are also willing to pay the prices he charges. One complaint I hear from older people that grew up in Oklahoma and Texas is that mexican food used to be known as a cheap meal. Now, they complain that basic tex mex is too expensive compared to what it used to be.

I wonder if Rick Bayless could have a successful restaurant that is similiar to what he has in Chicago in Oklahoma City today? He is more well known in Oklahoma City now than he was when his recipes were used in Switzer's restaurant. I do not see many blue collar latinos eating in high dollar restaurants except for special occasions. He would have to get a crowd that does not just expect Tex-Mex or even low priced Mex-Mex. Mario Hernandez tried to do it with Adobe Grill and it closed. I always thought location may have been a problem in that case. Rick Bayless would need a good location.

Bigray in Ok

Quote Originally Posted by RadicalModerate View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Bigrayok View Post
    A lot of people may not remember this, but there was a mexican restaurant in Oklahoma City that used Rick Bayless's recipes and it flopped. When Barry Switzer owned a mexican restaurant at Lake Hefner (Was it Cabo San Lucas?) the recipes came from Rick Bayless. They added some Tex-Mex dishes later to try to pull more business in because the food being served was not what people that grew up in Oklahoma on Tex-Mex think of when they want mexican food. By the way, I have no problem with that. I prefer Tex-Mex even though I think of myself as a "foodie" that will try just about anything.

I think Rick Bayless has been a success in Chicago because people see his food as new and cutting edge. They were not raised on Tex-Mex and it is not what they expect when they go into a "mexican" restaurant. They are also willing to pay the prices he charges. One complaint I hear from older people that grew up in Oklahoma and Texas is that mexican food used to be known as a cheap meal. Now, they complain that basic tex mex is too expensive compared to what it used to be.

I wonder if Rick Bayless could have a successful restaurant that is similiar to what he has in Chicago in Oklahoma City today? He is more well known in Oklahoma City now than he was when his recipes were used in Switzer's restaurant. I do not see many blue collar latinos eating in high dollar restaurants except for special occasions. He would have to get a crowd that does not just expect Tex-Mex or even low priced Mex-Mex. Mario Hernandez tried to do it with Adobe Grill and it closed. I always thought location may have been a problem in that case. Rick Bayless would need a good location.

Bigray in Ok
    I have eaten at Rick's "Red O" restaurant in LA and thought it was great. It certainly was not Tex Mex though and the bill for two came to around $100.00. I think he could be successful here but would have to adapt his recipes a little to cater to local tastes.

I went and ate at Cattlemen's last night. Had their Ribeye meal. It was delicious & a lot nicer of a steak than their flimsy lunch special steak! It was the first time I had ever sat inside and actually eaten a meal. Wait time was to be 45 minutes to one hour. We waited for best available and I really don't think it was even that long of a wait. I don't care what anyone says, that place is still pulling in the money. It had a busy crowd up through the time we left and that was around 9:30 or so.

Quote Originally Posted by kevinpate View Post
    They are really good. Tarahumara is my favorite in town, but Tulio's runs right there with them. New place downtown but I've not been in there as yet.
    My wife and I love both of these places!!

I think Tarahumara is propably, I just didn't enjoy it there. I just don't think I've ever been anywhere that tries to rush you out so quickly. We were there for lunch on a Saturday and we waited about 45 minutes for a table, which I don't have a problem with, however, I don't think we were at our table for more than 20 minutes. The server brought us menus and then stood there and waited while we looked over it. Finally my husband asked if she could just get our drinks and give us a minute to read over the menu. So she gives us a disgusted look and goes and gets our drinks, brings them back, immediately wants to take our order. Just to get her to go away, we just picked something. She was back in a flash with the food and as soon as she put the food down, she went back and got the check and put it on our table. Never came back to see if we needed anything else, no drink refills, nothing. Before we were even finished with our plates, the bus boys were trying to take them off our table. I guess they don't appreciate people trying to actually enjoy a meal. We just sucked the food down and left. I ate it so fast, I didn't enjoy it or even really taste it. Maybe sometime if happen to be in Norman around mealtime again, we'll give it another try, but I definitely won't be making a special trip just the be heard like cattle.

Default Re: One of OKC's most overrated restruants....

Debzkidz

You should have spoken up, well before time to depart. I've never experienced that sort of hurry up sensation there. They would know it, politely but w/o mistake, if it were to happen. I don't tie up a table by lingering on long after a meal. Shoot most places this ol' chub doesn't even spend time on dessert (not a sweet tooth sort most days.) However, when I am seated, then the table is mine, for my time frame. Sorry to hear you ran into an issue. I know they know better.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigrayok View Post

Bigray in Ok
    Any restaurant Barry Switzer has touched has failed. and seriously are you comparing Rick Bayless to local food here? Rick Bayless doesn't do Tex Mex and I can assure you if they were his "recipes" they weren't cooked as Rick Bayless would cook them. Have you even been to one of his restaurants?

Quote Originally Posted by metro View Post
    Any restaurant Barry Switzer has touched has failed. and seriously are you comparing Rick Bayless to local food here? Rick Bayless doesn't do Tex Mex and I can assure you if they were his "recipes" they weren't cooked as Rick Bayless would cook them. Have you even been to one of his restaurants?
    That was my point. The food was not Tex Mex. It was the kind of stuff Rick Bayless makes in Chicago. They added some Tex Mex dishes later to try to pull more people in. Rick Bayless could probably be successful in Oklahoma City today. He was not as well known then as he is now.

Bigray in Ok

Thread Information