Widgets Magazine
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Question on Tipping

Default Re: Question on Tipping

I used to work at Jason's Deli. There, about half the time your food is brought to you (if it's large or if it's something that takes a little while to make), and someone cleans your table. Drinks are self-service. Nobody tipped on credit card receipts since you pay before you get your food or anything. Every once in a while people would leave cash (such as a dollar or two) on a table. If I had to guess I would say it was probably around 1 out of 50 tables.

I'm not saying it's right or wrong, but that's about how it was. If you left cash on the table, it obviously isn't going anywhere other than the busser's pockets. The busser at Jason's Deli always had to work really hard and move really fast for about a couple hours during lunch hour to keep enough tables clear for more people coming in. On the other hand, giving a tip just for cleaning off a table does sound like a bit much. On the other hand though, I would say they do more work than a car hop at Sonic, who simply had to walk a short distance and come back. As opposed to a busser who had to walk around pushing a heavy cart (I had to do it sometimes, and that thing was extremely hard to push even for a guy after it got loaded with dishes), constantly stack up dishes, and clean up after a lot of people that seem to get ranch dressing everywhere after devouring their salad. At some places, the busser doesn't even push a cart around, but has to go back and forth carrying dishes. Again, it may not need a full 15% or anything, but it's way more work than a Sonic car hop.

I think the main reason only about 1 out of 50 people tip a busser at a place like Jason's Deli as opposed to a car hop at Sonic or even the person that fills up your drink at a buffet, is that the person that busses your table is usually never seen. They come after you leave. When you never have to look a person in the eye you probably won't feel guilty for not leaving a tip.

I say just tip in proportion to what they do. Out of all the services one could provide, how many did they provide and how difficult were they? Perhaps tip 50 cents at Jason's Deli where it only goes to the busser. Perhaps at a buffet where plates are taken, but drinks are not refilled or food is not ordered or brought, tip $1. If it's a buffet where drinks are refilled and plates are taken away, tip $2, and so on. I know leaving 50 cents might sound lame and insignificant, but if a busser at Jason's Deli got 50 cents with every table at lunch hour, he/she would make out pretty well and be pretty happy. With car hops, I say just simply round up (if you're paying cash), or 50 cents if you're doing credit card.

Also, I think just judging by the amount of service they do as opposed to doing a percentage of the cost makes more sense. Why should a waiter at an upscale restuarant that serves you 3 expensive gourmet burgers make twice as much in tips as someone at a hole-in-the-wall that brought you 3 cheap burgers? They probably did the same amount of work, one just brought out cheaper food. I don't believe it's harder to carry more "gourmet" food.

That's just my 2 cents. Also, when I worked for Jason's Deli I was a day time delivery driver. Most of my orders were basically catering orders to OKC business, hospitals, etc. Many of the orders were around $500 to over a thousand dollars. I'm not exaggerating at all when I say that roughly 50% of people would tip at all.

Take into account someone had to make about 100 sandwhiches, cut them up into quarters, and arrange them onto trays. Someone then had to stack them all up in their car, gather utensils, chips, etc. Someone then had to drive across OKC on expensive gas, haul everything up, usually taking mulitple trips going up and down elevators to the 10th floor of some downtown tower or OU medical tower. Said person than had to set everything up on a table.

Most of the people that didn't tip were pharmaceutical reps buying for hospital offices that hadn't arrived yet (but conveinently didn't tell any nurse to put on a tip or add one over the phone when the order was put in), or a receptionist that signs the receipt, but doesn't tip because the boss didn't tell her to leave one. In other words, these reps or business people or doctors didn't have to actually look the delivery driver in the eye, so they usually didn't feel guilty about not leaving a tip.

Of course, the occaisonal 10% tipper with a $500 order (so a $50 tip), would usually make up for the non-tippers and we'd make out pretty well, but it was still pretty shocking. The most extreme example when I worked there was on a $16,000 order, where workers actually had to work overnight baking cookies, etc, and vans had to be borrowed and many people had to be brought. The tip was absolutely 0. It was for a well-known OKC event. I can tell who it was if anyone cares.

Again, just my two cents.

Quote Originally Posted by JuJuBeans View Post
    -I'm not trying to be rude, but to me it as always been common sense if you got good service that person or establishment should get a good tip meaning 20% usually or higher.

-I also think it's very cheap when a person makes a takeout order and then when they come to pick up their food they don't tip the hostess. The hostess took the time to take the order down, take the ticket order to the kitchen, and carry out the food, and a lot of times help make some part of the food.

-If you can't afford to give a tip then you shouldn't go out to eat, simple.
    I love comments like this...

I also love how tipping has gone (im not even 30 yet) within the last 10 years from 10 percent, to 15 percent, 20 percent for exceptional service, to now (as you put it) to atleast 20 percent. Get real and get a real job.

I also love the self entitled attitude of servers and now even hostesses on to go orders, and base that on working as a waiter for awhile in high school. It is not a hard job, yes it does get busy but IT IS NOT A HARD JOB. You take a food order, put it into a computer, take it to people, and then refill their drinks. Hostesses dont even do that, they just take an order over the phone and hand it to you. That is it, so please stop acting like your performing 10 hours of manual labor in the sun everyday.

I also love how an employee of a company entitles them self to dictate who or who not is allowed to visit their employers establishment.

I've worked in all positions inside of a restaurant. Ive worked in the kitchen,dish pit, bussed tables, sat people, and waited; but ive never understood why waiters have such an entitled attitude. Out of all the jobs its by far the easiest. Pull your same shift back in the 120 degree kitchen where you are actually creating those meals that you find so hard to walk to a table and you might grow up a bit.

OK, a little different twist on this tipping thing. I have recently been stopping by a nice bar and grill. It started when I was in a hotel hoping my home didn't burn in N. E. OKC (it didn't) during the August fires. About three times a week when I am in the area and almost every time I stop, I have two tall draft beers, settle up, leave a tip and go to the house. I'm a good but not extravagant tipper when I am provided good service but the bar tenders have all began confusing me. Almost every time I stop, one beer is complimentary so the charge is for one beer. How much should I tip? I know the "comp" beer is because they appreciate my business so they don't expect me to tip the price of the freebie, but do I simply tip as if I was paying the full amount, or more since a $13 dollar tab is now $6.50? I have been tipping almost $6 but there is no logic or percentage involved, I just sit there like a dummy till I figure out that I need to just leave something and go home. I'm sure there must be a proper rule and I hope one of you folks can provide it. I'm ready to head back to London, the neighborhood pubs are mostly nice and quiet and tips are unheard of for food or drink. Different in restaurants though, but even then, 10 percent is a good tip.
    C. T.

4. Default Re: Question on Tipping

Quote Originally Posted by ctchandler View Post
    OK, a little different twist on this tipping thing. I have recently been stopping by a nice bar and grill. It started when I was in a hotel hoping my home didn't burn in N. E. OKC (it didn't) during the August fires. About three times a week when I am in the area and almost every time I stop, I have two tall draft beers, settle up, leave a tip and go to the house. I'm a good but not extravagant tipper when I am provided good service but the bar tenders have all began confusing me. Almost every time I stop, one beer is complimentary so the charge is for one beer. How much should I tip? I know the "comp" beer is because they appreciate my business so they don't expect me to tip the price of the freebie, but do I simply tip as if I was paying the full amount, or more since a $13 dollar tab is now $6.50? I have been tipping almost $6 but there is no logic or percentage involved, I just sit there like a dummy till I figure out that I need to just leave something and go home. I'm sure there must be a proper rule and I hope one of you folks can provide it. I'm ready to head back to London, the neighborhood pubs are mostly nice and quiet and tips are unheard of for food or drink. Different in restaurants though, but even then, 10 percent is a good tip.
    C. T.
    From my restaurant/bar experience I would say you should feel comfortable tipping as little as the customary 15-20% of what the bill would have been had you been charged the full amount for each drink served.

When we use Groupons or other discounts, we always tip based on what the non-discounted bill would have been.

That said, I always get a bit concerned when drinks are 'on the house' unless I know the bartender is an owner or that the establishment allows staff to do comps. FYI - giving away regulated alcohol (cocktails is illegal).

My fear is that, one, the employee is risking their job simply to be nice to me. Two, they may indeed be stealing from the owner. Three, the employee is giving away product he doesn't own to make more money off the customer - which in turn can hurt the bar (though some can argue its good marketing if done correctly).

As to a 'comp' situation, for tipping purposes I tend to ignore the comp aspect of the bill. What I am charged doesn't change the level of service I receive. It simply represents less funds to the establishment for their costs. I access a lot of discounts so I am somewhat sensitive to the subject.

Recent examples -
    Freebie code for a pizza and a drink where the only cost is standard delivery charge.
    BOGO dinner at a casual food shoppe.
    5.00 off two entrees at seafood shoppe
    25.00 certificate good with a minimum 35.00 purchase
    10.00 certificate good with a minimum of 20.00 purchase
    etc.

Same time and effort involved for the server whether I pay full freight or a deeply discounted price. So I elect to tip as I would sans any discount.

BBatesokc,
    Even the Manager gives me a comp beer. And when it's listed as a comp on the check, it can't be a shady deal. If I thought it was, I wouldn't return. By the way, it is strictly beer. Now, if I read you correctly, If I am billed for one beer, tip as if it were two. That's where I was having trouble, I wanted to leave more than simply tipping as if it were two I was paying for so both the bartender and I benefited, but I can see where that could be a problem. As for Groupons or others, I always tip based on total price, not the price I am paying.
    Thanks,
    C. T.

Kevinpate,
    Thanks, I always base the tip on total price before any coupon/discount but I wasn't looking at the "comp" that way. Kind of makes sense though.
    C. T.

8. Default Re: Question on Tipping

Quote Originally Posted by ctchandler View Post
    BBatesokc,
    Even the Manager gives me a comp beer. And when it's listed as a comp on the check, it can't be a shady deal. If I thought it was, I wouldn't return. By the way, it is strictly beer. Now, if I read you correctly, If I am billed for one beer, tip as if it were two. That's where I was having trouble, I wanted to leave more than simply tipping as if it were two I was paying for so both the bartender and I benefited, but I can see where that could be a problem. As for Groupons or others, I always tip based on total price, not the price I am paying.
    Thanks,
    C. T.
    Then all is good. When I managed bars I always had a comp policy. Found it helped create patron loyalty and kept the staff honest.

My rule was just an acceptable minimum (based on the value of what was served, not what was charged). If you want to tip more.... go for it!

My tipping at a bar is all over the place. If I'm just ordering and getting drink then I just give usually $1 drink (depends n the drink). If however the wait staff or bartender is especially attentive with conversation, letting me know about some event locally I wasn't aware of or pointing out someone I might want to try and meet then I tip more. I've had many bartenders introduce me to very good social and business contacts in this city.

Well, everyone is entitled to their own opinion of course and yes most of us do have 'real jobs' but when I hostessed years ago people that did have takeout orders didn't see me or another hostess when busy run to the tables to refill water and help the servers with bringing out the orders while on a busy day running back and forth to answer phone calls get the food from the back bring it up to the person and checking them out. We worked harder than people seem to think we did, but I'm not wanting sympathy or even empathy my post just meant simply.... why not tip if you could afford the meal even two bucks? Are we really that cheap? Can we not afford a few more dollars when we have 'real jobs'? That's all.

Quote Originally Posted by JuJuBeans View Post
    why not tip if you could afford the meal even two bucks? Are we really that cheap? Can we not afford a few more dollars when we have 'real jobs'? That's all.
    A fool and his money are easily parted.

I get what you are saying, but as i can still see in your response that you have this very deep rooted entitlement that most waiters/waitresses have. Someone else has a better paying job so by default you are entitled to some of their earnings. You also see this same sort of entitlement in welfare recipients and illegal immigrants.

The problem as I see it is that tips are now "assumed." I absolutely hate that restaurants don't have to pay their employees minimum wage and can instead rely on tips from the customers to fill that gap. I creates this culture where tipping is just expected for even the most mundane of services. Tips should be given when the service is above and beyond. Anything less and that's just what your employer is paying you for.

On another note, I don't think being a waiter or waitress or anything restaurant related is somehow not a "real job." They work and they get paid. Sounds like a real job to me.

"Professional" Server here...

Here's how it works:

Every company is obligated to pay their employees no less than $7.25 per hour worked during the pay period. However, there is a thing called a "tip-credit" which employers may take advantage of. The way the tip credit works is that a company is allowed to allocate claimed tips toward the total hourly wage. Now, they are still obligated to pay "subminimum" wage, which federally is set at $2.13/hour. The law is actually somewhat complex, and there exist a variety of models that states use. See: http://www.paywizard.org/main/minimu...tipped-workers

Most places it is fairly easy to identify whether or not people make $2.13/hour or $7.25/hour. Places with full service staff: Host, Bus, Server, Bartender are almost all places that pay those positions $2.13/hour. Examples: Chili's, Olive Garden, Outback, Cheever's, RePUBlic, Red Prime.

Places where you rarely see employees in the same area as the guests are places that pay minimum wage. Examples: Starbucks, Moe's/Chipotle/Qdoba, Pei Wei, Fast Food, Johnnie's

I'm not sure where exactly buffets (Golden Corral/Luby's/Souper Salad, etc.) fall in this line, because they are usually self-service in most aspects. I would imagine employees are paid minimum wage and are rarely tipped. I rarely if ever go to places like these, so I've never thought to ask someone whether they fell in the $2.13/hour.

A good rule of thumb is that if someone is taking your drink order, they are probably paid under minimum wage.

Other places tips are customary: Hotels, Food Delivery (mainly pizza), Hair-cut, Salons.

As for restaurants, hate to tell some of you, but 20% is the standard tip, not 15%. And that's if you get standard service, which probably 80% of the time you do. The other 20% is divided between sub-par and above-average service.

If you are more interested in the nuts and bolts of the service industry, I recommend the following website:

http://wiserwaitress.com/

Thread Information