Widgets Magazine
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Old Shoppers World on N. May?

Default Re: Old Shoppers World on N. May?

I don't remember guns being so cheap back in '69.
    (and look at the prices on the ammo!)

I have enjoyed this thread for sure. I worked at Shoppers World back in the early '60's. I was a butcher in the grocery store.

Shopper's World was a type of forerunner to the Wal-Mart Supercenters of today. They had groceries, sporting goods, household goods, appliances, etc.

3. Default Re: Old Shoppers World on N. May?

Which place had the little movie theater inside for kids? They could watch cartoons while mommy shopped. Pretty sure it was Founder's Fair.

Quote Originally Posted by rondvu View Post
    Here is a link with an add for GEX. Article Window
    I just stumbled upon this thread. I can remember going to GEX with my parents it seemed like maybe 3 or 4 times a year back in the 60s. We lived in NW OKC and it was really a big deal to make the trip there. After seeing the ad I didn't realize it was a members only store. I guess we went there because my father worked at Western Electric. I see in the ad they were eligible to be members. I have no idea what they would go there to buy that made it special. Anyone know what kind of things they sold there?

Quote Originally Posted by MikeOKC View Post
    Which place had the little movie theater inside for kids? They could watch cartoons while mommy shopped. Pretty sure it was Founder's Fair.
    I think the Kimberlings IGA shown in the upper left corner of the pic in post #3 had one of those cartoon theaters for kids.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeOKC View Post
    Crystal's Pizza used that same gimmick. Gave Mom and Dad a break.

7. Default Re: Old Shoppers World on N. May?

Quote Originally Posted by ljbab728 View Post
    If I'm remembering correctly, that was Founder's Bank that you're thinking about.
    That is correct. I worked there until about '82

Quote Originally Posted by gjl View Post
    I think the Kimberlings IGA shown in the upper left corner of the pic in post #3 had one of those cartoon theaters for kids.
    Consumers IGA was at 63rd & Portland and had a little theater inside of it. Red Bud at 50th & Macarthur had one too.

I think the map is mislabeled. Kimberling's was at 23rd & Meridian.

Rezman, do you remember going to GEX as a kid?

Kimberling's at NW 23rd and Meridian had a kiddie theater. We didn't go there often but I certainly remember the cartoons.

Quote Originally Posted by gjl View Post
    Rezman, do you remember going to GEX as a kid?
    I remember going to AMC with my folks many times, but I don't remember GEX. You may have to jog my memory. Where was it?

Quote Originally Posted by rezman View Post
    Consumers IGA was at 63rd & Portland and had a little theater inside of it. Red Bud at 50th & Macarthur had one too.

I think the map is mislabeled. Kimberling's was at 23rd & Meridian.
    There was a Kimberling's at 63rd & Portland and 50th & Shartel as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    There was a Kimberling's at 63rd & Portland and 50th & Shartel as well.
    When was the store at 63rd & Portland ever a Kimberlings? It was Consumers IGA for a long time. Right across the street from the old KOCO. Did Kimberlings come after Consumers or before?.

When was 63rd & Portland ever a Kimberlings? It was Consumers IGA for a long time. Right across the street from the old KOCO. Did Kimberlings come after or before Consumers.
    It was originally a Kimberling's IGA in the 70's. Consumers IGA came later; somewhere in the late 70's.

I sure don't remember that, but our memories sure play tricks sometimes. I do remember the little movie theater inside though.

I remember going to AMC with my folks many times, but I don't remember GEX. You may have to jog my memory. Where was it?
    We went to AMC a lot too. The guy sitting on the stool where you went in with the clicker I think counting the people that entered. And the Gibsons downtown on I think 6th st. Here is the ad for GEX that showed Western Electric employees being eligible for membership. Article Window

It was between SE 15 and Reno, on Eastern, where the Old Paris Flea Market was located later.

I was just about to say that it was somewhere near SE 15th and Eastern, when I looked at gjl's link to the GEX ad. I was close. Oddly enough, we were driving back from Norman Monday and as we passed the Eastern exit off I-40, I commented that GEX used to be down there. We're Tinker retirees and we did shop there...a long time ago...

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kyle View Post
    It was between SE 15 and Reno, on Eastern, where the Old Paris Flea Market was located later.
    That explains why I don't remember GEX, because I never went there.

I also stumbled on this thread by accident, then was intrigued enough to join the forum to dig more. I lived in OKC as a kid in the 60s-early 70s. I remember the Founders Fair, Trade Mart, Arlens also. We lived near NW 50th May/Villa. (a big bonus was that Charcoal Oven was nearby- not many memories better than that.

One thing that has been tormenting me is memories of some other businesses in the area of the old Founders Fair. Just across the street to the east was another favorite of mine, Roy Rogers. A short ways north, also on the east side were a couple of other restaurants. I want to say that one was a Quick's, and near it was either a Mexican or Seafood Place. This would be right about NW 59 Street. My brother thought it was either Quick's or Mr Quick, something on those lines.

One of these places had a VERY distinct sign. It was large, and elevated, and like a big spiked ball, with all sorts of colors in neon. Long spikes, but it made a ball, a circle. I think the colors would change, or go off and on, etc. As a kid, I was mesmerized by it. I think it might have been Quick's, but I cannot find mention of one in that area, only one down on Classen. Does anyone know what I'm talking about? I'd love to see a photo, or at least find that others remember this the same way.

We were up and down May Ave all the time. Gale Cable was just to the north of these places.

I remember Mr. Quicks by 59th & May, and at 50th & Portland, on the northwest corner near the Port Center, where 51st St takes off at an angle from 50th. I don't recall the illuminated spiked ball at either Quicks location. The old Quicks on May was turned into a Long John Silvers, and the peaked portion of the roof at the front of the building lended well to making it look like the prow of a ship when remodeled for Long Johns.

I remember Mr. Quicks by 59th & May, and at 50th & Portland, on the northwest corner near the Port Center, where 51st St takes off at an angle from 50th. I don't recall the illuminated spiked ball at either Quicks location. The old Quicks on May was turned into a Long John Silvers, and the peaked portion of the roof at the front of the building lended well to making it look like the prow of a ship when remodeled for Long Johns.
    Yep, I remember seeing it later as LJ Silvers....From a little Googling, I found this old pic of a Tucson Mr. Quick, with a sign that might be a little similar. Not exactly the spectacular image my mind was conjuring, but who knows what the reality was 45 years ago?

http://www.city-data.com/forum/attac...s-mr-quick.jpg

It was called Mr. Quick. It was a chain of about 300 burger places out of Illinois that was similar to McDonalds.

This is a listing of all the businesses in that area of N. May from the 1969 criss-cross directory:

That's very good info above, and mentions the location as Quick's Hamburgers. I guess Mr Quick and Quicks are synonymous. The "Boots Meat Market also jogged a memory. You folks are really on top of things. I appreciate it.

Also, Rezman, I'm very glad you mentioned that other location at 50th and Portland, and how 51 street crooks off there. My mom worked at World Neighbors, which was at 5000 N Portland. I remember that shopping center on the west side of the street. There was a Baskin Robbins, and another tiny place (out on the parking lot) I used to get hot dogs. I thought it was a Dairy Boy or something, but maybe this was also Quicks. Of course, Coits was along Portland just to the south. Also there was a 7-11 there where the clerk could supply you with a 25 cent Icy Drink that would last for hours. Huge.

This is a bit of a tangent, but I'm sure one of you can answer. I've been looking at the great aerial shots from 1969. This was when I lived in OKC and was 7 years old. At that time, there was a road that ran N/S just west of Baptist Hospital, and down to Will Rogers Park area. It was replaced by the I-44/Hefner Parkway road of today. We'd take this road from 50th down to the Will Rogers Pool. Was that road called Grand? Seems to be just a bit left with that name.

^

Yes that was the old Grand Boulevard that later became Lake Hefner Parkway (freeway).

And yes, the name of the chain was Mr. Quick but lots of people called it 'Quick's'.

Thread Information