Widgets Magazine
Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: S&B Burger Joint

1. Default re: S&B Burger Joint, South Walker

Quote Originally Posted by mmm View Post
    you guys are getting into a heated argument about which toppings are typically included for free at eating establishments. -M
    Still corrupting young minds

Default re: S&B Burger Joint, South Walker

Quote Originally Posted by bandnerd View Post
    Honestly, at S&B, I trust them to make the burger the way it should be made. If I order The Frenchman, I don't want tomatoes on it, or lettuce. It's made the way it should be. If I want a customized burger, then I would just choose the build your own option.
    I tend to think anyone who wants to order customized burgers should go to a place where the approach makes more sense, such as Irma's. S&B is a place that does specialty burgers. It's like trying to build your own pizza at the Wedge or something. You just don't do it. They have like 20 burgers. If you can't find one that sounds edible, you should either take a risk and order off the menu or go someplace else.

I have never heard of a place charging for tomatoes either. Cheese, bacon, mushrooms, things like that maybe. But charging for tomatoes is nothing I have ever seen. I've eaten at many burger joints here in the DFW area, and have never seen it. Don't remember Irma's doing it either the single time I went a year ago or so. Even chains like 5 Guys and Smashburger don't do it. Just seems like customers getting nickle and dimed. Not that important to me really, as I don't have to have tomatoes on my burger... but weird nonetheless.

4. Default re: S&B Burger Joint, South Walker

Quote Originally Posted by pickles View Post
    I tend to think anyone who wants to order customized burgers should go to a place where the approach makes more sense, such as Irma's. S&B is a place that does specialty burgers. It's like trying to build your own pizza at the Wedge or something. You just don't do it. They have like 20 burgers. If you can't find one that sounds edible, you should either take a risk and order off the menu or go someplace else.
    We have a group that goes to the Wedge in Deep Deuce on a very regular basis, we always custom order our own veggie pizzas.

5. Default re: S&B Burger Joint, South Walker

A student of mine said he didn't like the Wedge. I asked him what did he order. He said, "a pepperoni pizza." The rest of the class laughed at him and told him if he was going to get that, he should go to Pizza Hut.

Quote Originally Posted by BBatesokc View Post
    We have a group that goes to the Wedge in Deep Deuce on a very regular basis, we always custom order our own veggie pizzas.
    Scandalous.

What's your favorite combination?

Not that I would ever consider custom ordering a delicious veggie pizza.

Re: " . . . heated argument[s] about which toppings are typically included for free at eating establishments . . ."

There was an interesting "Management" book a few years ago titled, "Give 'Em The Pickle."
    There was an interesting commercial a few years ago themed, "Where's the Beef?"
    Note that neither of those mention lettuce or tomato. Or even mustard.

My brother had a great idea for a theme restaurant about the same time:
    "Bun and Garnish".

If someone created a "Veggie Pizza" using tofu--processed to look/taste/smell like pepperoni--would it really still be a True Veggie Pizza? Or would the spirit of the real thing have been virtually corrupted?

I would suggest that writing a theme on that topic, for extra credit, if you are weak in Algebra I, might let you squeek by on the New! Improved!! High School Graduation/Diploma Exam.

A student of mine said he didn't like the Wedge. I asked him what did he order. He said, "a pepperoni pizza." The rest of the class laughed at him and told him if he was going to get that, he should go to Pizza Hut.
    i would argue that if they can't do a pepperoni pizza well . why would i trust them with anything else ..... (for the record i like the wedge)

9. Default re: S&B Burger Joint, South Walker

Scandalous.

What's your favorite combination?

Not that I would ever consider custom ordering a delicious veggie pizza.
    Marinara, red peppers, red onions, pine nuts, spinach and mozzarella. A few in our group like anchovies on the side.

hate to rehash the whole tomato thing, but i guess i didn't realize they charged extra for all condiments. at first, i thought charging for tomatoes was a little odd. but charging for any condiments including lettuce is ridiculous. someone mentioned if you want to build your own burger, go to Irma' b/c S&B does specialty burgers. well, what if i really wanted just extra lettuce on one of the specialty burgers b/c i love lettuce? you're going to charge me .20 for that?!?! irma's puts all the normal condiments to the side of each burger at no additional charge.

i have never been to s&b, so my comparison may warrant some criticism. s&b may very well have a superior tasting burger to irma's, or they may offer a much larger patty. but like i said, i wouldn't know. but i have been to irma's, and i loved it. i only have gone once, but the whole party i was with loved it. now, if i decide to go to s&b and it's only as good as irma's in my opinion, then i will probably choose to frequent irma's for most of my future burger cravings. .55 to .75 isn't going to break the bank by any means, but s&b will need to be substantially better than irma's or otherwise, i would fee like i am getting nickle and dimed.

11. Default re: S&B Burger Joint, South Walker

Then go to Irma's, I guess?

I never knew tomatoes were such a hot topic. Everyone I know that has been to S&B's really likes it. Sure, they have a burger/slider they prefer over the others (I know I do), but everyone has their own tastes. I know there are some combinations on that menu I wouldn't have thought to put together on a burger, but it works. Because they know what they're doing, probably better than I do.

Maybe they need the sign our old 50's Cafe had back home that explained the establishment wasn't Burger King, and if you wanted it "your way," then you were welcome to drive to one! (The language was a bit salty, but I remember thinking it was hilarious when I was a kid. And they did burgers very, very well at that place.)

Quote Originally Posted by Pete Brzycki View Post
    Steve Mason owns the property. Business is owned by the guys that own the other location on N. May.
    The one on May is owned by the two S&B guys but I think they own half of the new one with another restaurant company in a partnership.

I have ate at S&B several times and I like it a lot. I guess I never noticed the extra charges as I order burgers without Tom if it comes on it anyways. I did think the Smothered fries were a bit overpriced for the portion size so I didn't order them the next trip.. However they have amazing Bloody marys!. 10.00 a pop but delicious!

S&B has a whole section of the menu for making your own burger. It listes all the different possible toppings, all the different sauces and cheeses.

Yeah, that Build Your Own. So I can't see the argument that you shouldn't go there to build a burger the way you want it when it is right there on the menu.

Quote Originally Posted by OSUMom View Post
    Yeah, that Build Your Own. So I can't see the argument that you shouldn't go there to build a burger the way you want it when it is right there on the menu.
    You're exactly right and they obviously offer options including lettuce and tomato without paying extra.

Interurban . . . (memorial) . . . good.
    Even "sent to the jukebox" (microwave) . . . twice.
    Yum.

All stuff tasty . . .
    Each element of the sandwich able to stand on its own.
    and no extra charge for kwality.

The care in regard to the mushrooms (on the sandwich) was exceptionally good.
    I really thought all the Interurban Originial could do was the Cajun Chicken Sandwich thing on Opening Night.
    Or at The Fair. I was wrong. They (interurban) are capable of more than that.

And proved it!
    But this is about S&B . . .
    sorry, i digressed . . .

Quote Originally Posted by ljbab728 View Post
    You're exactly right and they obviously offer options including lettuce and tomato without paying extra.
    Some they do and some they don't. In the "build your own burger" area of the menu Pete posted, they charge .45 for tomatoes and nearly every other "veggie" (with the exception of pickles). This is all in addition to the $5.50 base price for the burger. Add onions, lettuce & tomato and you are over $7. Depending on what you want, it may be cheaper to do it "their way" as to duplicate the Porker as a build your own it is more expensive, However, if you order one of their standard burgers and it doesnt already come with tomato, it looks like they will be happy to add it for .45; lettuce for .35 and onions for .75 etc etc etc.

Pricing structures can vary greatly and it is one of those "let the buyer beware" type of things, sometimes it is a better deal to go one way than the other.

As long as they list what is and is not included in a burger in their menu, I see no problem with it.

Perhaps they are reinvesting the money saved in non-wasted produce (like lettuce and tomato) into providing a top-quality "base burger"?
    I really don't know. I DO know that all of this has convinced me to try S&B Burgers no matter what the cost. (Did someone say they had a location on N. May?)

By saying that, I feel as if I am betraying my loyalty to Johnnie's . . . but the consensus seems to be that Johnnie's isn't what it used to be so I don't feel too bad.

I just checked out their website, and I can at least say the menu is updated to the current menu for the original location. Honestly, I think it's a little silly to not go to a place because they haven't updated their website that day. Not everyone operates that way. I've never heard anyone say, "Oh, well, I won't go to Eischen's because they don't have a website." If the menu is up to date, that's really all I need!
    Bandnerd,
    I don't specifically choose restaurants based on whether or not they have a website. HOWEVER, if your BUSINESS does have a website, I would assume that something like a new location would warrant an update. Their website (http://sandbburgersokc.com/) lists only their original location, their Facebook page lists only their original location, and their menu may be updated, but I have no way of knowing, as I have never been there.

Because I was driving around OKC, and looking at the crazy Wayne Coyne building, I happened across their new location, but did not stop in, as I had already eaten. I wish them well, but hope they get with the program.

I have become a loyal patron of S&B Burger Joint after my first visit a year ago. Frenchman and Columbian are out of this world. Bloody Mary's have made me a Saturday junkie. I never thought I would enjoy bacon, beef jerkey, salmon or pork tenderloin infused vodkas. Creative does not describe this place. As a lifelong resident of this town I realize that an international man of mystery, but I have travelled just about every state. I haven't experienced anything their atmosphere on 9th Street in New York, Chicago or anywhere in California.

I'll give them a try next time I'm home, but do me a favor, and tell them to update their website! ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by ThomPaine View Post
    Bandnerd,
    I don't specifically choose restaurants based on whether or not they have a website. HOWEVER, if your BUSINESS does have a website, I would assume that something like a new location would warrant an update. Their website (http://sandbburgersokc.com/) lists only their original location, their Facebook page lists only their original location, and their menu may be updated, but I have no way of knowing, as I have never been there.

Because I was driving around OKC, and looking at the crazy Wayne Coyne building, I happened across their new location, but did not stop in, as I had already eaten. I wish them well, but hope they get with the program.

Wayne Coyne owns that really colorful building across the street?

Thread Information