Widgets Magazine

Thread: New Crosstown construction starting this summer

1. Default New Crosstown construction starting this summer

Well, I guess this further signals the beginning of the end for the hub for future light rail in OKC. Either there was no mention of saving the rail yard or The Oklahoman simply failed to mention it. The suits seem to have tunnel vision on this issue. Speaking of tunnels, it is also stated that our skyline views will be greatly hampered as the new freeway will be mostly below ground level. Here's a link to the article:

http://newsok.com/article/1479047/?template=home/main

2. Default Re: New Crosstown construction starting this summer

Actually, the "suits" think they will lose their jobs if they fail to listen to the obsolete and incorrect opinions of the nay sayers.

3. Default Re: New Crosstown construction starting this summer

Wow, is it really that bad? I'm telling you, two of the things I'm really hoping for are your possible council election and efforts concerning AW and the possibility of light rail. Better air service is a priorty now!! Rail service will be soon if it isn't already and I believe can currently be supported and well utilized. I'm really hoping something is done about this, but I'm thinking that the larger "NEW CROSSTOWN" headline will continue to blind the general public who will only see this as positive and anyone who speaks against it (no matter how correct and informed they may be) will be dubbed NEW CROSSTOWN opponents. The correct categorization is "opponent of needless destruction of crucial infrastructure."

Default Re: New Crosstown construction starting this summer

I still think our "leaders" are being far to overzealous and not dealing with the real issues. Destroying the rail yard is a huge mistake. We should all email Steve Lackmeyer so he can cover the whole truth to the public and not just what they want us to hear.

5. Default Re: New Crosstown construction starting this summer

Quote Originally Posted by metro
    I still think our "leaders" are being far to overzealous and not dealing with the real issues. Destroying the rail yard is a huge mistake. We should all email Steve Lackmeyer so he can cover the whole truth to the public and not just what they want us to hear.
    I second that! I hate how the daily disappointment covers news. That is why I dont even read them anymore, as their storys are slanted one way and way too short. I can not believe a major metro paper is run like that.

And further, I cant believe the people of OKC just sit an do nothing, like zombies - believing everything that is said in the paper, or pulpit for that matter.

Often times, people insert their own agenda instead of reporting the whole truth and allowing people to decide for themselves. I really wish we could form a Public Group to get the truth out while circumventing the one sided press and political machine in the city.
    Oklahoma City, the RENAISSANCE CITY!

I can tell you as a person that has followed the new crosstown project pretty closely that I had no clue about destroying the railyard and the ramifications until I read about it on this board.

I'm quite sure very few people in OKC realize this is part of the deal.

At the very least, that information needs to be shared with the general populace before it's too late.

I'm happy to support any ideas you guys have.

Patrick Guest

Actually, Steve Lackmeyer knows the real scoop. He's known it for years. He's heard Tom Elmore's viewpoints at various meetings, including our very own OCART meetings several years ago. He's also a regular user of this forum.

Why does he fail to mention this side of the story in his reporting? I suppose that's a question we'd have to ask him directly.

Patrick Guest

In the end it all comes down to money. Building a new Crosstown and destroying the rail yard generates revenue for contractors constructing the new highway, land owners near the new highway, and contractors years from now who will have to construct a new rail yard. Unfortunately, our children will have to pay for part of this due to our ignorant decisions.

Patrick Guest

By the way...Streb misses the point in the article. He says that it doesn't matter that travelers won't be getting a good view of the downtown skyline from the new crosstown, as the new boulevard will provide excellent views! Well, isn't our goal to try to lure tourists off the highway? You can't do that if you can't see downtown from the new crosstown. And most people passing through aren't ever gonig to hit the boulevard.

Patrick Guest

Although I like the optimisim shown here, I wish we could save the Unnion Station Rail Yard. Seems like we could move that segment of the interstate a bit further south.

------------------
    "New route signals change for downtown

By Steve Lackmeyer
    The Oklahoman

Oklahoma City leaders are pondering how downtown might expand southward with the pending construction of a relocated Interstate 40 Crosstown Expressway.
    Twenty years ago, they faced the same challenges when Interstate 235 was built east of downtown.

At that time, architects, developers and real estate analysts made the following predictions on how I-235 would change downtown:

"In-fill" development would link downtown with the Oklahoma Health Sciences Center and the state Capitol complex, and would spark a revival of Broadway.

Residential and commercial development would occur in the Harrison-Walnut area (now known as the Flatiron district).

A struggling development known as "Bricktown" would become a destination area of restaurants, shops and entertainment venues after the area's eastern border became the new expressway.

Carl Edwards, co-managing partner of Price-Edwards, took his best shot Wednesday at making similar predictions for the relocated I-40. He gave high marks to the predictions made 20 years ago for I-235.

"They were correct on the connection of the medical center to downtown," he said. "The expressway has definitely brought those closer together. And they predicted Bricktown would become a reality, and it certainly has."

Edwards said downtown development is going east, though not as quickly as predicted 20 years ago.

"I believe they were probably a little too optimistic at the time," Edwards said.

Different time brings different attitude
    Edwards said he believes comparisons can be drawn between the two highways.

"The difference this time, however, is the attitude of the city at this time versus 1985," Edwards said.

"When you have a confident attitude like our city has at this point, you will find some things being done that wouldn't have been done if people are down and not as confident."

In that case, Steve Lackmeyer, if you are reading this board, quit dodging the issues and fess up.

Does anybody have a contact at the Gazette?

It's seems pretty clear the Oklahoman is never going to provide much in the way of investigative journalism.

This topic seems like a good fit for the Gazette and it also tends to reach a younger, more progressive crowd where the railyard issue might gain some traction.

Patrick Guest

You might try to contact them directly. I'm sure they'd love to hear your story idea. You know the Gazette....they love controversial stories! lol!

Lightbulb Re: New Crosstown construction starting this summer

Here's your INVESTIGATIVE REPORTER CONTACT AT THE OKLAHOMA GAZETTE:

Investigative Reporter, Ben Fenwick at 528-6000.

He is running circles around the local paper when it comes to investigative reporting and "non-Gaylord-style-or-Gaylord-political-interests-reporting. "

Also, Fenwick has proven himself to be trustworthy at keeping his sources who give him leads protected when he follows those leads. So give him your leads. He'd be interested.

Fenwick can be reached at their office number: 528-6000
    or at his email which is posted at the okcgazette site.

Remey688 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by MalibuSooner
    I can tell you as a person that has followed the new crosstown project pretty closely that I had no clue about destroying the railyard and the ramifications until I read about it on this board.

I'm quite sure very few people in OKC realize this is part of the deal.

At the very least, that information needs to be shared with the general populace before it's too late.

I'm happy to support any ideas you guys have.
    As a person who lost property to the state in this project. There was no plan for the Southward moving of I40 throught town is going to be 30 feet under ground surface with rail traffic above as required.

ErnieBall Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Remey688
    As a person who lost property to the state in this project. There was no plan for the Southward moving of I40 throught town is going to be 30 feet under ground surface with rail traffic above as required.
    Could you rephrase that? I'm not sure what you're trying to say.

yes, please clarify

Remey688 Guest

I agree I wrote too rapidly and without editing . . .

To my knowledge, the new route is going to be in a 30 foot deep trench. City streets and rail lines will be overhead relative to the finish rerouted I-40 roadway through downtown OKC.

What I wondered was why didn't OKC join the rest of the metro cities in the US and route truck traffic around the city on the beltway. Here with put large toll on the beltway north and not south that doesn't raise enough revenue to pay the interest cost of the relocated I40 move?!

Thread Information