Widgets Magazine
Page 7 of 259 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111257107 ... LastLast

Thread: Mystery Tower( speculation, news and ideas) post here!

Default Re: Mystery Tower( speculation, news and ideas) post here!

Haters gonna hate.

Story in the paper the other day about Plains All American Pipeline, putting huge investment in the Mississippi Lime play. They are in the fortune 100, maybe it's them ???

Quote Originally Posted by metro View Post
    And what researchers said this? Please give examples. History shows skyscraper construction usually comes on heels of another.
    metro, I was referring to the ULI C2S report http://www.okc.gov/resources/ulifinal.pdf presented to the Oklahoma City Council back in March of 2010, pg. 16, under Market Potential. They emphasized that since Devon will be vacating a lot of space, downtown Oklahoma City should not expect any speculative office towers in the future. However, they did emphasize that a corporation could locate downtown and build its own tower, so they didn't rule that out. I was basing my statement on that section of the report. Maybe I exaggerated a bit, but it had been 2 years since I actually read the report, so I had a misunderstanding.

Quote Originally Posted by G.Walker View Post
    metro, I was referring to the ULI C2S report http://www.okc.gov/resources/ulifinal.pdf presented to the Oklahoma City Council back in March of 2010, pg. 16, under Market Potential. They emphasized that since Devon will be vacating a lot of space, downtown Oklahoma City should not expect any speculative office towers in the future. However, they did emphasize that a corporation could locate downtown and build its own tower, so they didn't rule that out. I was basing my statement on that section of the report. Maybe I exaggerated a bit, but it had been 2 years since I actually read the report, so I had a misunderstanding.
    If I'd had read that, i'd have taken it the same way you did G.

Quote Originally Posted by Bellaboo View Post
    Story in the paper the other day about Plains All American Pipeline, putting huge investment in the Mississippi Lime play. They are in the fortune 100, maybe it's them ???
    Plains is in Houston. No oil company from Houston is going to move to OKC. They have a field office off of Broadway Ext. That is all we can get from them.

Quote Originally Posted by metro View Post
    Pete, I'd have to disagree about ABQ. That town is dead. Yes, they have landed some major tech companies (I think due to their proximity to the west coast more than anything). My recently former employer, a nationwide retailer, opened an ABQ store a few months back. I warned against it looking at the marketing numbers, they didn't make sense. The store isn't doing that well, and after visiting the town and meeting with key influencers, Chamber, business leaders, etc. also their business laws make it impossible to open a business there, and permits are hard to get and help to get set up is lacking. They also tax you for services AND for your inventory unlike most states. very business unfriendly. It is a night and day difference compared to OKC. I drove the whole city multiple times and saw ZERO new construction of any kind, not even a house or fast food restaurant, unlike all the major construction we are seeing all over the metro here. The biggest thing there Chamber peeps were touting was Chipotle was going to open a store their soon. Whoa Chipotle..... What a big development......not! Most businesses are dead or dying out there, the place is dirty, and most people I talked to are broke. On the plus side they have a MUCH better airport and public transportation system.
    Agreed. I was wondering about that when I read Pete's post too.

Quote Originally Posted by Bellaboo View Post
    Mewbourne Oil in Tyler, TX could be one that could move. Its founder is an OU graduate with the the University of Oklahoma named the Mewbourne School of Petroleum and Geological Engineering in his honor in May of 2000.

That would be an awesome addition to OKC!

Also, there are a few in New Mexico or Wichita, KS that could move to OKC.

I talked with a man that is with continetal resources, and according to him, he knows nothing about them moving downtown...he could be keeping a secret, but we can probably scratch them off the list.

Quote Originally Posted by skanaly View Post
    I talked with a man that is with continetal resources, and according to him, he knows nothing about them moving downtown...he could be keeping a secret, but we can probably scratch them off the list.
    they already bought devon's building and are moving in this year

I mentioned Albuquerque because it has been showing up on more and more best-places-to-live lists, and from 2000-10 it's MSA grew by almost 25% (OKC only grew 14% in that same period). It will soon pass Tulsa (probably already has) and a bunch of other cities above it.

I have friends that live there and love it... Tons of recreation / bike paths and mountains are very nearby, nice climate and low cost of living. Also lots of green, progressive initiatives.

If I were to relocate, it would be on my short list of places to consider.

Quote Originally Posted by BoulderSooner View Post
    they already bought devon's building and are moving in this year
    LOL. Apparently, that guy hasn't gotten the memo.

Skyscraper development doesn't come easy to Tier 3 cities like OKC. So we are in a very fortunate position even just to have Devon Tower, let alone another significant skyscraper in the near future. Larger cities like Memphis, Louisville, Richmond, New Orleans, Jacksonville, and Kansas City, haven't seen a significant skyscraper built in decades. So we are in a great position to separate ourselves in skyscraper development from these cities, if we can keep the momentum.

But young and upcoming cities like Austin, Salt Lake City, and Charlotte...I don't see us gaining any ground, I see no end in site for these cities.

My dark horse is Nashville though, they have a lot of good things going on for them right now. Omaha is gaining momentum to, I wouldn't be surprised if they get a significant skyscraper in a few years.

I obviously didn't..i apologize.
    Is there enough room for one to built directly north of the Skirvin. It's kind of wasted space with just a garage

650'FT-750'FT is the height range I've been hearing for over 8 Months.With all these jobs moving into downtown,and with Class A office space at a premium,there might be two skyscrapers going up at the same time.

Larger cities like Memphis, Louisville, Richmond, New Orleans, Jacksonville, and Kansas City, haven't seen a significant skyscraper built in decades.
    Neither has Dallas! All of their 25 tallest buildings were built before 1987... A quarter of a decade!

In the U.S. anyway, there have been very few tall buildings built outside of a few cities since the 80's.

Quote Originally Posted by dmoor82 View Post
    650'FT-750'FT is the height range I've been hearing for over 8 Months.With all these jobs moving into downtown,and with Class A office space at a premium,there might be two skyscrapers going up at the same time.
    Yeah, I was hoping Preftakes was going to build a residential skyscraper in the 400-600' range. That location near the new school would be a great place to build one. Maybe he is looking at two skyscrapers in his block. I wish they would build a residential tower where the Century Center Parking garage is. That place is perfect so close to the Myriad Gardens. Kind of something like Aqua in Chicago that is near one of their parks.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete Brzycki View Post
    I mentioned Albuquerque because it has been showing up on more and more best-places-to-live lists, and from 2000-10 it's MSA grew by almost 25% (OKC only grew 14% in that same period). It will soon pass Tulsa (probably already has) and a bunch of other cities above it.

I have friends that live there and love it... Tons of recreation / bike paths and mountains are very nearby, nice climate and low cost of living. Also lots of green, progressive initiatives.

If I were to relocate, it would be on my short list of places to consider.
    I agree about the recreation and forward progress on green initiatives, but the business climate sucks and is dead.

Quote Originally Posted by skanaly View Post
    I obviously didn't..i apologize.
    Is there enough room for one to built directly north of the Skirvin. It's kind of wasted space with just a garage
    The Skirvin had proposed a 30 story addition on that site if the North Bricktown Lot had been choosen as the convention center location - so yes, there is enough room but it would probably have to be residential/hotel. It probbaly doesn't have enough room for offices.

Neither has Dallas! All of their 25 tallest buildings were built before 1987... A quarter of a decade!

In the U.S. anyway, there have been very few tall buildings built outside of a few cities since the 80's.
    However, they are finishing up construction on Museum Tower which is around 560' if I'm not mistaken.

What is the reason behind lagging skyscraper development since the 80's?

Commercial real estate is notorious for boom and bust.

The 80's were a big boom cycle that resulted in a glut of office space which took a long time to absorb. Then, the recession and banking crisis hit and things really died.

Quote Originally Posted by G.Walker View Post
    What is the reason behind lagging skyscraper development since the 80's?
    Despite news to the contrary, the 1980's were very good economic years and was probably the peak of high rise construction in the US. It also depends on the City, I worked in Atlanta from 2006 to 2010 and on any give day I could count no less the 40 cranes on the skyline. Of course, the Olympics really helped Atlanta (that and Hartsfield Airport).

Quote Originally Posted by Just the facts View Post
    Despite news to the contrary, the 1980's were very good economic years and was probably the peak of high rise construction in the US. It also depends on the City, I worked in Atlanta from 2006 to 2010 and on any give day I could count no less the 40 cranes on the skyline. Of course, the Olympics really helped Atlanta (that and Hartsfield Airport).
    I think that a lot of the tech expansion around 2000 came in the form of warehouse/factory type facilities being built. Lot of low rise offices.

Could Oklahoma City be behind the times, even with significant skyscrapers going up? Is OKC just now experiencing that 80's boom it missed out on? The reason why I make this plausible claim is that it seems that recent/proposed high-rise/skyscraper development in the US is for mostly housing/condos and not office. And that more corporations are shifting to the more campus style development? So did Chesapeake foster the right idea, or Devon?

Another one of G walkers conspiracy theories.

Thread Information