Widgets Magazine
Page 6 of 259 FirstFirst ... 23456789101156106 ... LastLast

Thread: Mystery Tower( speculation, news and ideas) post here!

Blog Entries

Default Re: Mystery Tower( speculation, news and ideas) post here!

Who knows how this will all turn out, but I think it's reasonably safe to say that if Cemex does come to OKC, we will NOT have another glass and steel structure.

BTW, I think it's great that the Chamber, business leaders and now even the governor are all working hard to bring new businesses in and to help the existing ones grow.

I started a thread about a year ago saying I could feel a corner being turned in OKC and I really do think that has happened in lots of ways. I've also said I thought OKC could be the next Charlotte or Austin and I stand by that. I don't think there is a city that is better positioned to make the jump from 10-15% growth each decade to the 20%+ club. I think Albuquerque is the other town that is really ready to take off.

I think the biggest change is just that there are lots of progressive thinkers and plenty of people looking well into the future. I also think the average citizen is excited about the growth and change and is obviously willing to keep investing in the community through initiatives like MAPS. This is more rare than you may think, as most cities have a complicated relationship with growth and change, while at every turn it's full speed ahead in OKC.

Quote Originally Posted by worthy cook View Post
    Something like this would be awesome. Biased cause it's my favorite building out there.

Westend Strasse 1 (208 M) in Frankfurt, Germany

Have you also seen the Capella Tower in Minneapolis? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Capella_Tower

Once the tower announcement is made it will definitely put another dagger in Tulsa's ego.

I have always been fond of the Pei-designed Fountain Place in Dallas. Of course mentioning the Pei name could start a whole 'nother heated discussion in these parts!

Quote Originally Posted by redrunner View Post
    Once the tower announcement is made it will definitely put another dagger in Tulsa's ego.
    Sigh. I sit here and read about all the exciting things going on in OKC, of which I am proud of, and then I read this.

There is definitely something unfolding down there, it will be exciting to watch in the near future.

Quote Originally Posted by Beastboii View Post
    Well a couple weeks ago my brother (who works for chesapeke)told me that that there is a big oil company that is looking to build its headquarter here, I wish I would've paid attention to the name!
    Do you have your brother's phone number? If so, call him and ask. Post the answer here.

The brother could have been talking about Continental.

Dumb.

Well a couple weeks ago my brother (who works for chesapeke)told me that that there is a big oil company that is looking to build its headquarter here, I wish I would've paid attention to the name!
    Call your brother, IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by KilgoreTrout View Post
    Dumb.
    How long have you lived in Tulsa?

12. Default Re: Mystery Tower( speculation, news and ideas) post here!

Why hate on Tulsa? It's a great city. And they don't have to fail for us to succeed.

It's not a slam on Tulsa, I'm just pointing out a well known belief that they see OKC as inferior and with OKC progressing while they're not doesn't do good for their ego.

How about something like this? The black part would be detailed black marble, and the blue is glass of course. Also, on the round marble part, there would be glass square windows. -780 ft, 40fls
    [IMG][/IMG]

Quote Originally Posted by Pete Brzycki View Post
    The brother could have been talking about Continental.
    That sounds right but I'll hit him up sometime and ask

Quote Originally Posted by skanaly View Post
    How about something like this? The black part would be detailed black marble, and the blue is glass of course. Also, on the round marble part, there would be glass square windows. -780 ft, 40fls
    [IMG][/IMG]
    I thought of that too but with a little rock at the bottom, would look pretty cool downtown

That sounds right but I'll hit him up sometime and ask
    dude, shoot him a quick text if you don't feel like bugging him with a phone call. i am also intrigued by the possibilities!

Quote Originally Posted by G.Walker View Post
    Hopefully Steve will break the story in the next few months, this will be exciting. Never thought OKC would get two major skyscrapers back to back, many researchers stated OKC wouldn't see another significant skyscraper for at least another 10-15 years, guess we proved them wrong.
    And what researchers said this? Please give examples. History shows skyscraper construction usually comes on heels of another.

19. Default Re: Mystery Tower( speculation, news and ideas) post here!

Quote Originally Posted by Pete Brzycki View Post
    BTW, I think it's great that the Chamber, business leaders and now even the governor are all working hard to bring new businesses in and to help the existing ones grow.

I started a thread about a year ago saying I could feel a corner being turned in OKC and I really do think that has happened in lots of ways. I've also said I thought OKC could be the next Charlotte or Austin and I stand by that. I don't think there is a city that is better positioned to make the jump from 10-15% growth each decade to the 20%+ club. I think Albuquerque is the other town that is really ready to take off.

I think the biggest change is just that there are lots of progressive thinkers and plenty of people looking well into the future. I also think the average citizen is excited about the growth and change and is obviously willing to keep investing in the community through initiatives like MAPS. This is more rare than you may think, as most cities have a complicated relationship with growth and change, while at every turn it's full speed ahead in OKC.
    Very well said! I work with businesses everyday and the excitement is wide spread. In fact we have leaders from other progresssive communities that visit OKC to benchmark because we are known as a city that is willing to invest in itself. They all want to know how we do it!

It's not a slam on Tulsa, I'm just pointing out a well known belief that they see OKC as inferior and with OKC progressing while they're not doesn't do good for their ego.
    Um...never mind. Don't want to start that on this thread.

21. Default Re: Mystery Tower( speculation, news and ideas) post here!

There's ample evidence of solid citizenry support for improving OKC and attracting jobs to the local landscape.
    The PR impact of the NBA cannot be overestimated either.

22. Default Re: Mystery Tower( speculation, news and ideas) post here!

768 ft. Perfect.

^^
    Disgusting

Pete, I'd have to disagree about ABQ. That town is dead. Yes, they have landed some major tech companies (I think due to their proximity to the west coast more than anything). My recently former employer, a nationwide retailer, opened an ABQ store a few months back. I warned against it looking at the marketing numbers, they didn't make sense. The store isn't doing that well, and after visiting the town and meeting with key influencers, Chamber, business leaders, etc. also their business laws make it impossible to open a business there, and permits are hard to get and help to get set up is lacking. They also tax you for services AND for your inventory unlike most states. very business unfriendly. It is a night and day difference compared to OKC. I drove the whole city multiple times and saw ZERO new construction of any kind, not even a house or fast food restaurant, unlike all the major construction we are seeing all over the metro here. The biggest thing there Chamber peeps were touting was Chipotle was going to open a store their soon. Whoa Chipotle..... What a big development......not! Most businesses are dead or dying out there, the place is dirty, and most people I talked to are broke. On the plus side they have a MUCH better airport and public transportation system.

Quote Originally Posted by metro View Post
    And what researchers said this? Please give examples. History shows skyscraper construction usually comes on heels of another.
    I'm not sure which honest researchers believe that it would take us 10-15 years for another significant skyscraper but I've heard a lot of average Joe's state that Devon would be the only skyscraper built for the next 25+ years but those people are also the ones that think Oklahoma City is still an inferior dust bowl town with a population of 250 and we still have cowboy and indian fights on our downtown dirt road, those people are also known as "haters".

Thread Information