Widgets Magazine

Thread: Resurfacing/restriping on May, Western, Hefner Parkway, etc.?

Default Resurfacing/restriping on May, Western, Hefner Parkway, etc.?

Noticed that May from NW 36th to about 122nd (maybe a little further) is in very serious need of resurfacing and restriping. Western is the same way for about the same distance (although it needs it up to Memorial), and Hefner Parkway's stripes southbound from the turnpike down to NW Expwy are almost invisible. I'm sure there are many many other main streets in the same condition across the city, these are just the ones I drove on in the past week or so and noticed. Anybody know if resurfacing/restriping will get done anytime in the near future (5 years)? If not, any idea why not? And if not, is there anything at all the ordinary citizen can do about it?

Also, many many traffic lights have lost their shades (I don't know what the technical term is for them, sorry), wondering if they're ever going to be replaced?

Just seems like OKC (and the other cities like Warr Acres, Village, etc.) is falling apart slowly and they might not ever be able to catch up to make it decent again. I know the nation's infrastructure is in the same situation, just wondering if our aging bridges, roads, traffic signals, power grid, etc. will ever live up to what it used to be...

Default Re: Resurfacing/restriping on May, Western, Hefner Parkway, etc.?

I travel that stretch of May Ave often. It's been in bad shape for a long time. Now that Dave and Busters is ready to open I can on imagine how much more traffic will be using the OLD May Ave bridge over NWX. Hope that someone has some way to find out and tell us of any plans for improvement.

I do not know if the city has any sort of list of projects but the state has been posting eight years plans for a while now. http://www.okladot.state.ok.us/cwp-8...plan/index.htm

The itemized list is about eighty pages long, with each item taking up less than a half inch. http://www.okladot.state.ok.us/cwp-8...y2012-2019.pdf

edit: forgot the 2007 bond page lists some city street work http://www.okc.gov/bonds2007/

Do we have money for any projects outside of what is considered downtown? It seems like everything has been forgotten outside that downtown core and Btown.

Quote Originally Posted by UnclePete View Post
    Do we have money for any projects outside of what is considered downtown? It seems like everything has been forgotten outside that downtown core and Btown.
    Most all of street & bridge resurfacing, widening and reconstructions being funded in the 2007 bonds are not in the downtown core or Bricktown. (around 500 million)

A quick check of this month's ODOT January letting revealed the following:

A pavement marking project in the OKC metro area (I believe it focuses on Interstates with the plowable pavement reflectors) see call order 410 on the link below

An asphalt resurfacing project on May Avenue from Britton Ave. north to Hefner Rd. (see call order 420 on the link below) Two miles of May Ave. north of this project were recently repaved so that three mile stretch from Britton Ave. to Memorial Rd. should be good to go for a while.

http://www.okladot.state.ok.us/contr...asread1201.pdf

Thanks for all the replies, checked out the lists of projects, they look nice, wonder how long it will take to get them all done, it's a massive list. :-( And wonder how much will deteriorate while those projects are getting done. :-P Great to have all those links in one thread, too...

Hefner Parkway does not need to be resurfaced. It is one of the better stretches, if not the best, of highway in the OKC area.

Quote Originally Posted by OKCNDN View Post
    Hefner Parkway does not need to be resurfaced. It is one of the better stretches, if not the best, of highway in the OKC area.
    To this point only one person implied that it needs re-striped.

May Ave from NW 36th to NW 63rd is on the list for OKC. See link....

http://www.okc.gov/AgendaPub/cache/2...2091337630.PDF

Thread Information