Widgets Magazine

Thread: Re: 105 story tower

Default Re: 105 story tower

This was mentioned in the Devon Tower thread, but I thought I'd go in to more detail here so as to not derail that thread.

Okay, so Formaation, led by Chuck Tollefsen, had proposed to build a 105 story tower on the site of the Hartford Building on the northern edge of downtown. However, these plans are as far as I know, dead, as OU/TU have purchased the building and are in the process of transforming it into a four year medical school. It was not a proposal that ever had a chance of happening. And no, Thunder, the developer has not changed their minds and decided to construct this tower in OKC. It was in my opinion, a pipe dream through and through.

To my knowledge, there were never any renderings released for this building. I'm glad it didn't happen. I think most modern buildings of this height, while there are some beautiful exceptions, are ugly. And as there was no major corporation that I know of lined up to occupy space in this building, it most likely would have been low budget. If built, it most likely would have been a massive failure that would quickly have become a blight. Tulsa has many quality developments going on right now. We don't need a cheesy 1200' tower.

Talk to me in thirty years, with a solid proposal, of course. I will probably have a different opinion.

So there you have it, you have no reason to be scared that Tulsa will be outdoing you in the height category. However, we are sneaking up on you at ground level. You'll never see it coming.....:-)

2. Default Re: 105 story tower

Yay! The most important thing here is that Tulsa will not be getting a new skyscraper anytime soon. We need all the momentum to keep going for OKC. I hope that with the symbol of Devon Tower shining across OKC that it will attract any future skyscrapers in the region to erect (oh, what a word) in OKC!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Thunder View Post
    First post. BRB to edit.
    ?? What the hell? lol

Thank you, ZXY2. That was the first I had heard of it over in the Devon thread and was wondering about it.

I was just checking out the Tulsa Development thread over at Skyscrapercity and you guys definately have it going on when it comes to building smaller but beautiful buildings, especially with the Hartford Building you mentioned.

Quote Originally Posted by catch22 View Post
    ?? What the hell? lol
    LOL he's entertaining, isn't he? LOL

so are there going to be new buildings along the future boulevard? I'm talking about in the ford site.

Quote Originally Posted by Thunder View Post
    Yay! The most important thing here is that Tulsa will not be getting a new skyscraper anytime soon. We need all the momentum to keep going for OKC. I hope that with the symbol of Devon Tower shining across OKC that it will attract any future skyscrapers in the region to erect (oh, what a word) in OKC!!!
    Actually, there are others who would also agree that Tulsa needs to keep its momentum going as well. I am very excited about the Devon Tower, and have applauded all the development in OKC as of late. Tulsa has a ton of momentum right now. It's developing a different, but in no way lesser, personality than OKC. I find it exciting that the two major cities are seeing so much revitalization, it is what is needed to make our STATE viable.

But thanks for starting an argument.

And MDot, you are probably referring to the Arts and Humanities Building that is currently being constructed. The Hartford Building is existing and in my opinion butt ugly. Hopefully TU/OU have a facelift in their plans. And thank you for your support!

Quote Originally Posted by ZYX2 View Post
    And MDot, you are probably referring to the Arts and Humanities Building that is currently being constructed. The Hartford Building is existing and in my opinion butt ugly. Hopefully TU/OU have a facelift in their plans. And thank you for your support!
    It was the Arts and Humanities Building, I got confused because I had just skimmed through the name and was looking at the renderings but remembered seeing an H so when I seen Hartford I thought that was the name of it. Also I had just read somewhere else about OU/TU turning the Hartford Building into a medical school, it's easier than you'd think to get certain projects mixed up when they link in your brain the way they did in mine. LOL

And I agree with you response to Thunder. IMO it's about Oklahoma, not just Oklahoma City and/or Tulsa, and both have momentum going at a pace unlike really any other in the U.S. and that's amazing that a state's largest cities are both going at such a high rate as they are. I for one hope Oklahoma City AND Tulsa keep the momentum, not just Oklahoma City or Tulsa, as you mentioned they are what makes Oklahoma viable so if one slips off then that will hurt the state more than some realize I believe.

Oh, and you're welcome for the support. =)

Quote Originally Posted by skanaly View Post
    so are there going to be new buildings along the future boulevard? I'm talking about in the ford site.
    Woah eeeeasy now...

Thread Information