Widgets Magazine
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Edmond Ideas

Default Re: Edmond Ideas

Didn't want to say anything about the design until it had gone public, but here are two of the final renderings for the two new police facilities;

http://www.edmondsun.com/local/x2535...-Safety-Center

This design for the headquarters was what I was eluding to when I mentioned using it as a base for other new government buildings in the downtown area. Instead of occupying each corner with a facility, a larger, more attractive and modern building could be build in place of the current police station and house utilities, IT, Mayor/Council (and Chambers), HR, and the Municipal Courts and Clerk. Freeing up the NE and SW corners for parking garages (of matching architecture) to alleviate parking issues especially when there are events held downtown. If one parking structure would suffice, a new Downtown Community Center could be built on one of the corners essentially creating a "City Center" at 1st and Littler. Could even approach the issue in a MAPS style to reenergize downtown simultaneously while the I-35 Corridor is created.

Task force discusses frontage road needs » Local News » The Edmond Sun

I wish Edmond would make the service roads one way widen the roads at the intersections. Two left turn lanes and dedicated right turn lanes. Almost every service road in Dallas is like that and traffic flows very smoothly. Even during rush hour.

4. Default Re: Edmond Ideas

I'm having trouble starting a new thread with this new IE.. Go figure. Anyways, does anyone know what on earth is going on with the water tower on 33rd & broadway?

They are just repainting it. That is what the process of repainting a water tower looks like. This was recently done to one in norman that I saw. I believe they apply some type of sealant on the entire thing, then paint it. Looks like the sealant is about done then they will paint it soon and be done.

I really wish they'd open up Lake Arcadia for development in a portion like Lake Hefner and get several restaurants on the lake. They could do a lot with that lake.

Well I typed a short letter to the city. This is what I wrote:

I have few questions about the new Covell. Why did the City not include the city seal on the traffic lights? I think it looks better and the majority of cities do that now. Also regarding the street names, why weren't the illuminated models used? I'll post a picture of what I am talking about. I just thought that was something Edmond would do. ...Also, the underpass portion that goes under the train track is not lighted, are there plans to install lights on this section along with the new redesigned portion of Blvd.? Esp. the trail that goes under. I love the new Covell and thanks for doing this, but I think these small amenities would make a world difference.

Also, just out of curiosity, I've noticed plans to reconstruct some intersections on Broadway in concrete, are there any long term plans to completely reconstruct Broadway in concrete pavement?
    This was the response:

I am not aware of the City of Edmond installing the seal on any public infrastructure. It makes the signs bigger, which increases the cost so I do not know of any plans to incorporate the seal into street signs in the future. The internally illuminated signs are very nice, but they also are very expensive not just to install but to maintain. The City of Edmond uses a high grade retro-reflective sheeting on our street name signs so they are easily visible at night. Since there are no driveways from the Thomas Drive to Boulevard there is no need for street lighting. Street lighting is installed to help cars see possible obstructions or cars turning in front of them.

Broadway from the south city limits to 2nd street is actually a state highway and is under the jurisdiction of the State of Oklahoma Department of Transportation. We have plans to widen the 33rd street intersection and yes we will be replacing the existing asphalt pavement with concrete. Since this is a state road they will not help fund the needed improvement the City has planned so the entire cost of the concrete will have to be paid by the city of Edmond. We believe this is a wise investment at this location with the large number of vehicles using this intersection every day. However the remainder of Broadway will remain the existing asphalt pavement.
    Not exactly what I wanted to hear. lol It just seems strange that they didn't light the portion of Covell that goes under the railroad. Esp. with the new wide trails, it is so uninviting when it gets dark. I also wish they would've buried the utility lines and I hate those things. I think that, if they planned it right, when the time comes to widen Covell to six lanes, they utilities wouldn't need to be relocated. The illuminated street sign was bust and disappointing to say the least.

It also seems weird they didn't light the new portion of Boulevard. They made the landscaping very nice, but no lighting. :/ Edmond just isn't being innovative. It's strange that the cost were pointed out when they installed all of these cameras everywhere, designed the road in concrete, and put in these black old fashioned style traffic lights. I'm sure those weren't cheap and cost a little bit more than generic traffic lights.

This is pretty crazy, read some of the views by the different candidates and talk about anti-bike lol. . .

Mayoral candidates differ on bike lane plan » Local News » The Edmond Sun

Quote Originally Posted by Plutonic Panda View Post
    It also seems weird they didn't light the new portion of Boulevard. They made the landscaping very nice, but no lighting. :/ Edmond just isn't being innovative. It's strange that the cost were pointed out when they installed all of these cameras everywhere, designed the road in concrete, and put in these black old fashioned style traffic lights. I'm sure those weren't cheap and cost a little bit more than generic traffic lights.
    That whole area with the street going under the railroad, the traffic lights, and onto Covell/Kelly looks very nice, but I agree, not paying attention to every detail is a problem. I can't help but compare the railroad bridge to those in the DFW suburbs. They spiff them up down there and have them all painted and looking nice, and Edmond's looks very rusty and unappealing. Maybe I'm missing something they were going for though. Even Norman has started using the illuminated street signs in the University Park shopping center area, so hopefully Edmond will catch on.

Quote Originally Posted by blink View Post
    That whole area with the street going under the railroad, the traffic lights, and onto Covell/Kelly looks very nice, but I agree, not paying attention to every detail is a problem. I can't help but compare the railroad bridge to those in the DFW suburbs. They spiff them up down there and have them all painted and looking nice, and Edmond's looks very rusty and unappealing. Maybe I'm missing something they were going for though. Even Norman has started using the illuminated street signs in the University Park shopping center area, so hopefully Edmond will catch on.
    Maaaaan, I hear you loud and clear.. haha. I really wish Edmond would get on the game and they did really good with Covell. The only thing I have is illuminated street signs, burring the utility lines, and going all out on these projects like the underpass. Adding artistic features and doing things like encasing the bridge in cement. As you said, I too have seen how the suburbs in Dallas do their work and Frisco is an amazing example. Frisco in the 90s used to be almost all farmland and now it is just amazing. Beautiful streets by the Stonebriar Mall and Dr. Pepper Ballpark. Edmond as well as Norman has the tax base to support these kind of projects.

I don't travel this direction often, but I heard about it, so I had to go see. My observation/opinion: Covell and Kelly are two of the worst examples of Edmond public works projects that I've ever seen. The lights along Kelly are too tall, they are the wrong types of lamps and there are way too many of them. Are the neighbors on Kelly not throwing a fit? I would be! I can't tell if the sidewalks are truly sidewalks (for pedestrians) or if they are also supposed to be trails, but they have serious design flaws if they are meant for cyclists. The bollards and fences are what made me spew my drink. Does anyone know if the city plans to stripe the streets with sharrows or bike lanes? There is definitely room. Both are pretty much freeways now. A lot of money was wasted on this.

Quote Originally Posted by Frustratedoptimist View Post
    I don't travel this direction often, but I heard about it, so I had to go see. My observation/opinion: Covell and Kelly are two of the worst examples of Edmond public works projects that I've ever seen. The lights along Kelly are too tall, they are the wrong types of lamps and there are way too many of them. Are the neighbors on Kelly not throwing a fit? I would be! I can't tell if the sidewalks are truly sidewalks (for pedestrians) or if they are also supposed to be trails, but they have serious design flaws if they are meant for cyclists. The bollards and fences are what made me spew my drink. Does anyone know if the city plans to stripe the streets with sharrows or bike lanes? There is definitely room. Both are pretty much freeways now. A lot of money was wasted on this.
    I like the of the width lanes. I do wish they would've widened the road a little more for bike lanes, but I don't think narrowing them is the right way in this case. However, I don understand your frustration with the amount of street lamps. Also, I really hope these are LED, if they aren't, that is really stupid. Kelly and Covell was a really nice project, IMO, but I think it could be a little better. They are going to do the entire length as said on their website and make it 6 lanes over I-35. I however, like the wide sidewalks.

jesus christ. Lights are too tall? Wrong type of lamp? Question: Do they light up? Yes, they do. Some people...

Just a passer-by, I am, and rather like the idea of freeways through Edmond.

I enjoy new roads like anyone else, especially when they include decorative lights, trees, medians, bicycle lanes and sidewalks. Edmond does a good job of making things pretty. But anyone familiar with road and highway construction knows that Edmond designs and builds roads to freeway widths which is a waste of tax dollars and encourages dangerous speeds, more cars, sprawl and less walkers and cyclists. Appropriate lighting and ADA appear to be afterthoughts.
    Last edited by Frustratedoptimist; 03-21-2013 at 10:46 PM. Reason: cuz

Thread Information