Widgets Magazine
Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 78910111213 LastLast

Thread: Kentucky Club (old Gabriella's)

Default Re: Gabriella's

Haven't been back in years. Won't return after how rudely I was treated by the owner.

Quote Originally Posted by soonerguru View Post
    Haven't been back in years. Won't return after how rudely I was treated by the owner.
    Details man, details!

Historic restaurant building sold; new tenants sought

Two buildings constructed in the 1940s and currently home to Gabriella's Italian Kitchen have been sold and will soon be refurbished and repurposed.

Preservationist Chip Fudge paid $1.35 million for the property which is comprised of nearly 3 acres atop a hill to the west of the National Cowboy and Western Heritage Museum.

The Italian restaurant opened in June of 2012 and remodeled the space at 1226 NE 63rd that had last been County Line Barbeque but had been shuttered for a number of years.

Now, Fudge plans a complete restoration of what was originally a speak-easy called the Kentucky Club. Fudge has redeveloped several historic buildings on Film Row just west of downtown. New tenants are currently being sought.

Gabriella's will be moving to a new spot in Edmond at 3601 S. Broadway. Their last day of business will be April 2nd and hope to reopen at the new location soon thereafter.

HangryHippo Guest

I saw the new sign in Edmond this weekend and wondered what was going on.

I will be very sad for them to leave this spot, which is special in many ways.

But Chip Fudge will put a fair amount of needed money into the property and I'm sure he'll find another great restaurant tenant.

Also, completely crazy that they've been open for nearly 10 years.

I had to do a double-check, but it's correct that they opened in June 2012.

7. Default Re: Gabriella's

Yeah.... Have only been to Gabriella's a handful of times but always enjoyed the food. So glad to hear it's not the end for them..... Unfortunately this puts them even further away from me.

Can't say I love the new location, but the food was always excellent.

I'm excited to see what happens in this building. My grandmother used to go dancing there when it was a speakeasy.

I'm excited to see the building get some love and hopefully a great new Tennant!.

That building has a great outdoor deck and views to the south.

Gabriella's never really took advantage of either, and I hope that will change because the setting is unique in OKC and generally beautiful.

Blog Entries

Hard to be a fancy italian restaurant in a strip mall tho

Quote Originally Posted by shawnw View Post
    Pretty much my thoughts. I love the food at Gabriellas even though they didn't really take advantage of the location. But it being in a strip mall is going to kill a little special magic it had.

I'd love to see a new rendition on the old County Line BBQ. My grandparents took us there often from a young age through teenage years.

Agree. They'll be swimming upstream in shallow water to make that location successful. But, I hope they succeed nonetheless.

15. Default Re: Gabriella's

There are a number of online articles about the history of the building. Here is one that includes more detail than most, if a bit disjointed in the telling: http://strangestate.blogspot.com/201...exclusive.html

My personal hope would be that Chip does something along the lines with what he and his partners did at R&J, with a bit more focus on “supper.” The spot is special.

It has worked for Moni's, they are sandwiched between a liquor store and an indoor golf practice facility in far NW OKC. (It probably helps they are also right across the street from Rose Creek)

However, I'll agree with others on losing the atmosphere. It would be like Cattlemen's deciding they would do better moving out of Stockyard City and moving to Penn and Memorial because of high traffic counts.

Michael's Grill seems to do pretty well in a strip mall.

18. Default Re: Gabriella's

Quote Originally Posted by Jeepnokc View Post
    Can add Signature Grill to the list as well.

I think it could actually be good for them because most people I know have never heard of them. Now they will have a lot more exposure to the casual diner that drives by than they did before.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeepnokc View Post
    as does signature grill and bistro 22

all 3 are far more upscale the Gabriellas

Quote Originally Posted by Roger S View Post
    Can add Signature Grill to the list as well.

I think it could actually be good for them because most people I know have never heard of them. Now they will have a lot more exposure to the casual diner that drives by than they did before.
    yep

The above names are adjacent to wealthy folks who eat out a lot.

That bit of Broadway has seen a lot of places come and go. But Othello's and Sparrow have done pretty well. If the quality of their product doesn't change, they'll probably be fine.

--and at least now you can work on your tan, get your nails done and have a nice Italian restaurant without moving the car.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by BoulderSooner View Post
    as does signature grill and bistro 22

all 3 are far more upscale the Gabriellas
    Fait Maison is in a strip as well.

A good restaurant isn’t about what building it is in.

Quote Originally Posted by Rover View Post
    Fait Maison is in a strip as well.

A good restaurant isn’t about what building it is in.
    I don’t know that I’d really consider that a “strip” or strip mall in the same sense that the new Gabriella location is. That whole street has become a walkable urban corridor from sparrow/boulevard/501 cafe down to the the building Nashbird is in with 10-12 restaurants and bars within a block or so. Several of the buildings have businesses or apartments above the restaurants and there are businesses between the restaurants at the ground level. All but one row of parking is in the back. To me, that would be like calling the Edge+Hanks/Mode/Louie’s or Level a strip.

That said, not as cool of a location for Gabriella’s but it should do fine there. There’s a ton of traffic in that area every day. Charlestons, Alfredo’s and Thai delight in the same complex do very well.

Gabriella's has reopened in their new location at 3601 S. Broadway in Edmond.

Hours are Tuesday - Thursday, 4 PM to 9 PM; Friday - Saturday 4 PM to 10 PM; closed Monday and Sunday. I believe these are temporary hours until they get their legs.

Any Updates on the old location?

Thread Information