Widgets Magazine
Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Kentucky Club (old Gabriella's)

Default Re: County Line BBQ to become Gabriella's Italian Kitchen (Krebs ties)

Soonermike,
    Your point is well taken however, I have eaten at a really nice steak franchise in the first week and been burned. They turned out fine. I think the key is, new staff. The chef doesn't do all the preparation, and he/she can't verify that every little detail has been carried out. They just supervise and teach and these things normally work themselves out. If not, then I won't go back. Generally the quality restaurants work through their little glitches fairly quickly. I have had one exception to that in my long life, hopefully Grabriella's won't be like that one. I need an Italian restaurant in my neighborhood and would hate to see them fail.
    C. T.

Quote Originally Posted by soonermike View Post
    I understand it was the first day, and the last thing I said was that I would give it a few weeks and try some other menu items. But let's also keep in mind that this is the same menu they've been serving at their Padre Island location for quite a while with food being prepared by the same head chef, so it isn't a matter of having to learn all new recipes. I was simply trying to provide some insight into an experience of someone who was really looking forward to the opening and was a little unimpressed by some of the things we experienced.
    Excellent response, sir.
    Well reasoned, kind and thoughtful.
    Your account of your personal experience at this establishment--the opening of which we (and by "we" i mean "me") have been looking forward to for a long time--does nothing to dampen my expectations of dining there in the near future.

The "zuppli" still sounds good (and this from a guy who has tried over and over again to make decent, simple risotto) and I am looking forward to making it my very first selection from the menu. At the same time, I hope that their blueberry cheesecake doesn't involve bleu cheese in any way, shape or form.

BTW (code for afterthought):
    As I understand it, a real "chef" manages people and materials.
    Cooks do the cooking.
    It's a symbiotic relationship for the benefit
    of the dining public.

Has this placed officially opened up yet. Got some friends in town tomorrow from Krebs and thought we might go to it if it was open.

4. Default Re: County Line BBQ to become Gabriella's Italian Kitchen (Krebs ties)

Yes, its open. We've been and its very good. Not sure if they take reservations, but if they do I'd go that route. It was an hour wait on the first visit and 35 minutes the second. Food was VERY good.

Quote Originally Posted by BBatesokc View Post
    Yes, its open. We've been and its very good. Not sure if they take reservations, but if they do I'd go that route. It was an hour wait on the first visit and 35 minutes the second. Food was VERY good.
    Glad to hear this, especially from someone who is never shy about criticism (and I mean that as a compliment!).

I predicted a complete home run for this place and I stand by that. I could tell by walking through it's all been done right with a lot of attention to detail. And you can tell the family that runs the place is passionate and on the ball.

I love the location, the feel of the building and the view from the bar. Looking forward to trying their food on the next trip.

6. Default Re: County Line BBQ to become Gabriella's Italian Kitchen (Krebs ties)

Thanks Pete. I was planning to add an actual review later after I visited again after they'd been open a couple weeks longer.

My two visits do not mirror those who are complaining on Urban Spoon. While there was a bit of a wait, that was to be expected for a new place in a landmark location. I also gave some slack to the wait staff as it is a brand new restaurant.

Our service was fine on both occasions and the food was great.

I do agree with some gripes that the prices are high. REALLY high depending on what you order.

But, the portions are very big, so I always share with the wife. When you cut the prices in half by sharing, its pretty reasonable and you still get lots of food.

FYI - their Krebs ties actually worked against them with me, as I've eaten at restaurants in Krebs while in the area and I've NEVER been impressed. Basically whatever noodle you prefer with tons of red sauce on it. I found this place to be much better than that.

I am glad, Brian, that this new Italian restaurant met or exceeded your expections.
    When I drove by Custino's the other day and didn't see a single car in the parking lot, my heart sank.
    Later, I learned that it was only because they were closed on Mondays. (whew!)

So . . . Are we looking at about $20 per diner? Maybe $30?
    Is their "House Red/Chianti/Whatever" overpriced at $7.50 a glass?

i went there tonight the service was pretty bad we ask for a drink they didn't bring the drinks by 30 minute into the service and the we were there for about an hour and no food and finally about 1 hour and 10 minutes into the dinner service and the service was very very very slow

Default Gabriella's - Will never go back

My wife and I host a monthly supper club that visits interesting places all over the metro.

Tonight, Gabriella's provided my worst experience ever in a restaurant.

We had reservations for 8pm (called in two weeks before and verified the day before) and the group of 12 showed up at 6:30 to enjoy the bar and hang out together. I have to say the Banana Bread beer was really good. Around 7:50, I went to check on the reservation, just to make sure everything was going okay. I was reassured by the hostess that everything would be fine.

At 8:10pm, I checked in again with the hostess and was told that they were waiting on a table of 18 to leave and then we would be seated.

At 8:30, I checked in again with the hostess and became frustrated when they were still waiting on the same table and were not willing to seat us at other tables. They were seating plenty of walk in customers but did not have any plan for my group of 12 except to wait on the one other table to leave. The grandson of the owner went to find the owner to let him know what was happening. When asked, they offered no other alternatives and were resistant to doing anything but waiting on the one table.

At 8:50, I found the owner and asked about our situation. He and a waiter were preparing a table that seats 8 for our group of 12. So, their plan was that after waiting an hour past our reservations that we have had for two weeks, my group would cram together for our meal.

I noted that I understood that they were behind and I get that it happens. But, I didn't understand why they were not willing to put other tables together. The owner just looked at me. I asked what the plan was to make the group happy. At that point, the owner became upset, hostile, and started to tell me about the one other table they were waiting on and that because they wouldn't leave it was my problem. I understood but said he had many many opportunities to make this right and he has done nothing. The owner would do absolutely nothing and offered no alternatives. We basically got a big 'screw you' from him.

Shortly after 9 with no relief, no table, no apology, and no help from the restaurant, my group walked and went to another restaurant. As we walked outside, we ran across another group that had been waiting almost an hour past their reservation times.

In researching reviews online for Gabriella's tonight, I have noticed ALOT of complaints about poor service and indifference or hostility from the owner and staff. I've seen it first hand and will never go back to it again.

I understand when things go differently than expected for a restaurant and things run behind. We were having a good time in the bar and were willing to wait. But the hostility and 'screw you' feeling from the owner left my entire group upset about our experience. Personally, I was embarrased about hosting the supper club at Gabriella's. I won't do it again.

Default Re: Gabriella's - Will never go back

I thought the food at Gabriella's was excellent, but the people don't know how to run a restaurant. We forced our way into a table through sheer wile and determination. The pizza was the best I've had in OKC. The menu is good and varied. The prices are excellent. The beer list is superb. The atmosphere (if you're seated in the south dining room) is very good. But it is freaking impossible to get a table there. They really need to bring in a skilled front of house guy / gal to smooth out the bumps. It's a family-owned business and OKC is not Krebs. I would like to go back but it's such an ordeal to get seated there I've moved on to Vito's.

It is disturbing to hear that garnering an actual reservation there (something I've been unable to do after three attempts) is pointless. I was incredulous that they couldn't accommodate me any of those times. And then I hear your story and it just blows my mind. Having been turned down three times for reservations, it's weird to hear that your reservation was so meaningless. Too bad. I want this restaurant -- which has very good food -- to succeed. Perhaps their indifference to customers will pay off and make it less popular, making it possible to actually get a table. I don't know.

My wife and I went Wednesday night and had an excellent time. We had called for reservations Tuesday afternoon for 7:15 Wednesday night. We arrived at 7:00 and were seated about 7:10. The service was very good and the food great.
    As we entered the restaurant there was a party of 8-10 people that were giving the manager (maybe owner ?) some grief about being seated. They were taken to a table shortly after us.
    Maybe it's the large parties that are throwing them off, or maybe we were just lucky. I know we are looking forward to our next visit to Gabriella's.

the food is good but the service is horrible and very very slow it took them like 30 minutes to get our drinks

To those who have had problems at Gabreilla's...were you trying to get seats during the week or on the weekend?

this has some mixed reviews and one bad review happen on a weeknight sounds like this restaurant may not survive http://www.urbanspoon.com/r/46/16816...-Oklahoma-City

They are packed every night, which is a big part of the problem (i.e. waits for tables and service).

Service problems are usually a lot easier to resolve than bad food or lousy atmosphere.

They've only been open a few months and I'm sure the service will come around.

Quote Originally Posted by TaoMaas View Post
    To those who have had problems at Gabreilla's...were you trying to get seats during the week or on the weekend?
    Both.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    They are packed every night, which is a big part of the problem (i.e. waits for tables and service).

Service problems are usually a lot easier to resolve than bad food or lousy atmosphere.

They've only been open a few months and I'm sure the service will come around.
    True. I hope that they actually care. They do seem strangely desensitized to customer concerns.

I met and spent a good amount of time with the owner just before they opened and he was an incredibly nice man.

This is a family operation with his wife and daughter in the kitchen. They put a great deal of thought and money into this place.

I suspect they are just completely overwhelmed.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    I met and spent a good amount of time with the owner just before they opened and he was an incredibly nice man.

This is a family operation with his wife and daughter in the kitchen. They put a great deal of thought and money into this place.

I suspect they are just completely overwhelmed.
    They are probably making money as a restaurant but a better front-of-house operation would pay for itself quickly. They are in danger of having this all go backwards on them if they don't work out the kinks. Seriously. A lot of people will give a restaurant one chance to earn their business. As busy as they are now, this could all dry up if they don't get it in gear.

They are trying to do a lot there: A much bigger restaurant with considerably more business than anything they've done in the past, a huge bar area with tons of different beers, a real wood-fired pizza oven and a large market in the front of the store. I also think they are trying desperately to put their family touch on everything that comes out of the kitchen.

That's a lot to juggle... They are either going to have to learn and adapt or engage some outside help.

Give them some time. It's a family-operated business with what seems to be excellent food. They deserve some slack and I bet most will be willing to give it to them.

Quote Originally Posted by cjohnson.405 View Post
    My wife and I host a monthly supper club that visits interesting places all over the metro.

Tonight, Gabriella's provided my worst experience ever in a restaurant.

We had reservations for 8pm (called in two weeks before and verified the day before) and the group of 12 showed up at 6:30 to enjoy the bar and hang out together. I have to say the Banana Bread beer was really good. Around 7:50, I went to check on the reservation, just to make sure everything was going okay. I was reassured by the hostess that everything would be fine.

At 8:10pm, I checked in again with the hostess and was told that they were waiting on a table of 18 to leave and then we would be seated.

At 8:30, I checked in again with the hostess and became frustrated when they were still waiting on the same table and were not willing to seat us at other tables. They were seating plenty of walk in customers but did not have any plan for my group of 12 except to wait on the one other table to leave. The grandson of the owner went to find the owner to let him know what was happening. When asked, they offered no other alternatives and were resistant to doing anything but waiting on the one table.

At 8:50, I found the owner and asked about our situation. He and a waiter were preparing a table that seats 8 for our group of 12. So, their plan was that after waiting an hour past our reservations that we have had for two weeks, my group would cram together for our meal.

I noted that I understood that they were behind and I get that it happens. But, I didn't understand why they were not willing to put other tables together. The owner just looked at me. I asked what the plan was to make the group happy. At that point, the owner became upset, hostile, and started to tell me about the one other table they were waiting on and that because they wouldn't leave it was my problem. I understood but said he had many many opportunities to make this right and he has done nothing. The owner would do absolutely nothing and offered no alternatives. We basically got a big 'screw you' from him.

Shortly after 9 with no relief, no table, no apology, and no help from the restaurant, my group walked and went to another restaurant. As we walked outside, we ran across another group that had been waiting almost an hour past their reservation times.

In researching reviews online for Gabriella's tonight, I have noticed ALOT of complaints about poor service and indifference or hostility from the owner and staff. I've seen it first hand and will never go back to it again.

I understand when things go differently than expected for a restaurant and things run behind. We were having a good time in the bar and were willing to wait. But the hostility and 'screw you' feeling from the owner left my entire group upset about our experience. Personally, I was embarrased about hosting the supper club at Gabriella's. I won't do it again.
    You have to be patient with a new restaurant. They are overwhelmed by the popularity of the restaurant. I am waiting to go on a week night to see if it is as good as everyone says. The menu looks great! I can't wait!

Loving to cook and creating delicious food does not automatically translate into a great restaurant...and 'word of mouth' is the best and most reliable advertising any establishment can get. Sounds like Gabriella's is on a cusp. They need to get this thing turned around. Who cares how good the food is if you can't get seated? And, given the reviews on this board, who would plan their evening around going to eat there when there's no certainty you'll find a table even with reservations?

I ate there on a weeknight and we got a table fairly quickly. The salads were average to below average, as was the bread. But I had lasagna, and wondered why I ordered it, as I've had a lot of mediocre lasagna in my life. This time I was very pleasantly surprised. The lasagna was outstanding. I'm getting hungry thinking about it. But it is true that no matter how good the food, you can't turn off customers, especially as it's not in a very convenient location for many of us.

24. Default Re: Gabriella's - Will never go back

My advice, if you can't get in at Gabriella's, then drive to Venezia in MWC - they ALWAYS have lots of empty tables and the food is really good and much cheaper.

We're looking to try Gabriella's again next week. Previous visits were good.

In addition to BBates' fairly solid recs on Venezia, other good alternatives are Bella Vista on the south side and Italiano's, especially on Saturday eve after 7:30, on N Lincoln.

I haven't been to Gabriella's yet, but I still feel I do need to change that.

Thread Information