Widgets Magazine
Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Kentucky Club (old Gabriella's)

Default Re: County Line BBQ Building Sold

You have all of the joints in Krebs which are branches of Pete's. Rosannas is good, Isle Capri is good as well, Petes and Giacomos were the best two of their day. A new player may also be Loveras. They dont have a restaurant, but they do run a market in Krebs and you may have seen there italian sausage products showing up in stores lately. I know Crescent market (RIP) and a few other places were selling the product. I could see them opening a restaurant/store front. All of the origianl Krebs joints have fallen off from as good as they were as family members have taken over and run them. Nothing is as good as they used to be. Petes would fit, due to the little rooms for private dining and also the large areas for events, but they have never really left the McAlester area. Giacomos, in my opinion just as good as Petes if not better, is also an option due to they have opened in other towns outside of Mcalester. Though I think they all failed but the original. No matter which one opens there it will be good food, it will be good for the area also. That building was in poor shape and will need lots of work, i know it had soft spots in the floor and duck tape holding certain parts together. Good luck to whomever takes over.

I found the address for HHH is David Hudiburg in Edmond.

Building permit for the former County Line building for a restaurant to be named Gabriella's Italian Grill.

It's got to be related to the Gabriella's in South Padre Island because it also has ties to Krebs, specifically the Isle of Capri:

http://gabriellaspizzeria.com/about-us

http://www.isleofcapriofkrebs.net/

Default Re: County Line BBQ to become Gabriella's Italian Kitchen (Krebs ties)

Cesar Romero, Jack Nicholson & Heath Ledger only wish they could smile like Moi.

They are claiming this will be a destination and they come up with something with Grill in the name?

Metro, please note that that name is used in their location in South Padre and according to Pete will not be used in OKC. And where is the claim about being a huge destination?

This
    Oklahoma City's County Line Barbeque has new owners, and restaurateurs with ties to Krebs, Oklahoma are planning to reopen the landmark as a destination restaurant.

They are claiming this will be a huge destination and they come up with something with Grill in the name?
    Sorry, but I don't see the word huge and your connection to the word "grill" still doesn't apply.

If you re-read my post, I never said huge, just destination, which the article claims. The word grill comes from Pete's post about the permit application.

Quote Originally Posted by metro View Post
    If you re-read my post, I never said huge, just destination, which the article claims. The word grill comes from Pete's post about the permit application.
    Metro, you changed your post. You said huge. I don't need to re-read it. Now you've lost all credibility when you change your post and claim you never said something. If you didn't intend to say that just say so instead of lying about it. And even if it does eventually include the word "grill", so what? The food will be what determines if it becomes a "huge destination".

FWIW, there are folks who willingly, very willingly, travel 100 miles and more, simply to take in a nice date eve, family gathering meal or get the gang together meal down in Krebs. Been that way for decades. So, if the food is up to the rep, I see no reason this would not happen here.

In my book, when folk are willing to set aside a long evening just so they can gather and eat at a particular spot well outside the normal dinner drive allowance, I find no quarrel with considering the place a destination. Here's hoping it does.

It WILL be called Gabriella's Italian Grill -- that's the name on the building permit.

Also, it sounds like there will also be a market where you can buy bread, home-made food and perhaps some other things.

Besides the historical County Line building, there is a 2,150 square foot building in the parking lot also purchased by the same group:

My late wife and I enjoyed several trips on our own personal highway (the Indian Nation turnpike) to enjoy the food in Krebs. Admittedly, there will be more traffic on the way to their new location here in OKC. For those of you that haven't been to Krebs, the Indian Nation has very little traffic. We would drive for miles without seeing a car. I don't know anything about the Padre Island location, but I am familiar with all the restaurants in Krebs, and Lovera's tiny little grocery store with really good meats and cheeses. Since I live close to the County Line building, I'm really looking forward to it opening here.
    C. T.

I haven't heard of the Indian Nation turnpike before now. I'll have to make it one of my rides on my bike this summer.

I am happy to see the name "Gabriella's" return to The Metro.
    (And I'll bet the food will be phenominally good, too.)

Quote Originally Posted by kevinpate View Post
    FWIW, there are folks who willingly, very willingly, travel 100 miles and more, simply to take in a nice date eve, family gathering meal or get the gang together meal down in Krebs. Been that way for decades. So, if the food is up to the rep, I see no reason this would not happen here.

In my book, when folk are willing to set aside a long evening just so they can gather and eat at a particular spot well outside the normal dinner drive allowance, I find no quarrel with considering the place a destination. Here's hoping it does.
    True, but Krebs is a quaint getaway with very little options, OKC has a lot more competition, but I do agree, if good food and it is executed well, people will still make the drive.

Anyone remember a place on Meridian between Reno and 10th street called Michaelangelo's. It was open back in the 80's and served Krebs style Italian food. It was not a great location for this type of restaurant and the interior decor was not best for a restaurant. I think there is now a motorcycle accessory place in the building it was in. It was north of where Feed the Children's headquarters is and south of the big tire place. Their food was decent but it was only open a couple of years.

I read a book by Jay Leno a few years ago where he talked about an Italian restaurant in Oklahoma City that served french fries. He thought that was hilarious. I have wondered if Michaelangelo's was the place he went to because I know Isle of Capri in Krebs serves french fries with its dinners along with the spaghetti and ravioli. If Gabriella's is anywhere near as good as any of the Krebs places, I am sure I will be a regular customer.

Bigray in Ok

Quote Originally Posted by ctchandler View Post
    My late wife and I enjoyed several trips on our own personal highway (the Indian Nation turnpike) to enjoy the food in Krebs. Admittedly, there will be more traffic on the way to their new location here in OKC. For those of you that haven't been to Krebs, the Indian Nation has very little traffic. We would drive for miles without seeing a car. I don't know anything about the Padre Island location, but I am familiar with all the restaurants in Krebs, and Lovera's tiny little grocery store with really good meats and cheeses. Since I live close to the County Line building, I'm really looking forward to it opening here.
    C. T.
    If this guy here says it's good.. Then I'm on board.......How ya doing CT...

Is this not the Gabriella's that was where The Speakeasy is off of 50th & Western?

Bellaboo,
    Doing well, and now looking forward to a Kreb's Italian restaurant in the OKC area. I just hope they maintain their quality. I'm surprised you haven't been there.
    C. T.

Quote Originally Posted by OKCisOK4me View Post
    Is this not the Gabriella's that was where The Speakeasy is off of 50th & Western?
    No . . . Only the names are the same.
    The other place was Chef Peter Seay's restaurant.
    (It was excellent)
    I'm just hoping the new place will live up to the name "Gabriella's" . . .
    (And it probably will).

Each one of the Italian restaurants in Krebs (have been to them all) are very subpar, at best. It was some of the worst Italian food I've ever eaten in my life. If I lived in McAlester, I'd just go to Lovera's and buy the ingredients and make it myself.

If this place is going to taste like any of the restaurants in Krebs, I'll just stick to going to Italiano's.

I've got nothing against Italiano's, nor Bella Vista for that matter. Both are very good local establishments.
    As for the everywhere in Krebs is unremarkable perspective, to each their own.

mikesimpsons,
    I think it's the old thing about one man's meat is another man's poison. The only thing I can say is that it's been a few years since I have been to Krebs but I enjoyed each of the restaurants. I am certainly not a connoisseur but I have eaten Italian in Europe (not Italy, unfortunately) and all over the states and back then, they did pretty well. But, when my wife started going downhill, healthwise, I haven't been to Krebs and that's been at least ten years. My only question to you would be your statement "the worst Italian food I've ever eaten in my life". I find it hard to believe combined with other comments on this thread that it really was that bad. But, only you know what satisfies your taste buds. So, I'm anxious for them to open and see how good/bad they are. I will (if my senile brain allows) post my opinion here. Of course, it will only be my opinion just like this post is just my opinion
    C. T.

Yet the places in Krebs are incredibly successful even with the way-out-of-the-way location.

I bet this place is a home run, even if it might not appeal to all.

Thread Information