Widgets Magazine
Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213 LastLast

Thread: Kentucky Club (old Gabriella's)

Default Re: County Line BBQ to become Gabriella's Italian Kitchen (Krebs ties)

I'm glad to know risotto is available - I will ask for that, next time. I'm looking forward to going back to try it, again.

Quote Originally Posted by BBatesokc View Post
    Didn't see it mentioned (may have missed it) but they only do dinner service now (starting at 3pm). Mon-Sat.
    I was dining there just before Christmas with several friends and the owner came by our table and was visiting with us. One of the ladies I was with works in the hospitality industry and was telling the owner that she often recommends them to out of town visitors, often here on business, as a place for lunch. He told us they were the worst place in town for lunch because everything was made fresh and it took time. He said people don't want to wait that long for lunch and it made some people angry. Probably a month or two later, I got an email from Gabriella's saying they were no longer open for lunch.

I was really bummed out a couple of weeks ago. We tried to make dinner reservations but they said they were closed for a few days for cleaning.

Monday, I made reservations online for 9 adults and 1 child, for Friday at 5:30. Arrived a few minutes early (alone, waiting on family members) and our table(s) and room were waiting on us. Very nice evening even though two of my party were more than 30 minutes late, as a matter of fact, there were only two people, me and one son there on time, but they were very nice and we ordered some appetizers while waiting on the last two members of my family. Great service and of course the food was really good as usual. We were there about 2.5-3 hours and nobody tried to rush us/throw us out. There were no problems and I was surprised that they didn't add in a tip due to the size of my group. Which was good for our wait staff, I tip more (when it's deserved) than they normally add to the bill. It's my third visit and there will be more. I don't get out much anymore, otherwise I would be a regular.
    C. T.

Quote Originally Posted by ctchandler View Post
    Monday, I made reservations online for 9 adults and 1 child, for Friday at 5:30. Arrived a few minutes early (alone, waiting on family members) and our table(s) and room were waiting on us. Very nice evening even though two of my party were more than 30 minutes late, as a matter of fact, there were only two people, me and one son there on time, but they were very nice and we ordered some appetizers while waiting on the last two members of my family. Great service and of course the food was really good as usual. We were there about 2.5-3 hours and nobody tried to rush us/throw us out. There were no problems and I was surprised that they didn't add in a tip due to the size of my group. Which was good for our wait staff, I tip more (when it's deserved) than they normally add to the bill. It's my third visit and there will be more. I don't get out much anymore, otherwise I would be a regular.
    C. T.
    I had reservations for 4 at 5:00 on Wednesday. I arrived first and they refused to seat me until my 'whole party' had arrived. I can understand doing that in prime time, but there were tons of tables open. I can't believe they sat you before your whole party was there. Other than that, the food, the service was great. That was the only thing that put a damper on it for me.

OSUMom,
    Let me clarify that a little bit, we weren't seated until 7 of the 9 had arrived, which was only about ten minutes late. I guess with the majority of our party there, it was worth seating and selling drinks as well as appetizers. Sorry you had a problem, but again, they asked me and my son to wait till others arrived, so we sat down at the bar and had a drink till the majority showed up.
    C. T.
    Quote Originally Posted by OSUMom View Post
    I had reservations for 4 at 5:00 on Wednesday. I arrived first and they refused to seat me until my 'whole party' had arrived. I can understand doing that in prime time, but there were tons of tables open. I can't believe they sat you before your whole party was there. Other than that, the food, the service was great. That was the only thing that put a damper on it for me.

OSUMom, that seems a bit extreme on their part, but to defend them a bit, restaurateurs have told me how many people skip out on reservations and it's rather shocking. Some restaurants in other cities have tried to combat this by actually taking a credit card number with the reservation request. To be fair to them, although your party was small, if you were to wait to order until the fourth member came, it could cause a back up. For whatever reason, that restaurant is always extremely busy, and it is hard to get in. They seat not based on table vacancy but on service personnel numbers. They are trying to ensure good service. That is why you will always spot a few open tables when they say they are booked.

Prunepicker Guest

For what it's worth, I like Pete's, and have for years. The most
    important part for a restaurant, for me, it whether or not I like it.

If I like it then it's good. If I don't like it then it's bad.

I could not care less what anyone thinks.

Quote Originally Posted by Prunepicker View Post
    For what it's worth, I like Pete's, and have for years. The most
    important part for a restaurant, for me, it whether or not I like it.

If I like it then it's good. If I don't like it then it's bad.

I could not care less what anyone thinks.
    About the same for me...and I still prefer the traditional red sauce Italian places more than the newer bistro style Italian.

Prunepicker Guest

Quote Originally Posted by bluedogok View Post
    About the same for me...and I still prefer the traditional red sauce Italian
    places more than the newer bistro style Italian.
    Tradition trumps pop culture every time. Gimme da red stuff!

Default Re: Gabriella's

With no update on this thread in over a year, I thought I'd take a moment and offer some thoughts on our visit for my birthday last night (2 Oct)...

As it has been on every prior visit, our food was outstanding with only a few minor nitpicks. I had the Five Layer Lasanga (18, IIRC) and my wife had Eggplant Parmagiana (17). Each was served piping hot and with a more than generous portion size. My daughter had the Garlic Chicken Rotini (also 17 IIRC), which was served with a rich, zesty garlic sauce. My son asked for a half-and-half plate of toasted and regular ravioli, and both were very good (Sorry, do not recall the price). Salad, cheese, and pepper tray were sublime as always. We love their salad dressing - it's just a simple oil, vinegar, and garlic mix, but the great flavor is driven by that very simplicity.

The minor nitpicks? The last time I had lasagne at Gabriella's, it was served on a plate. This time, it was served in an elongated bowl, and perhaps had been baked off prior to serving long enough to allow just a bit of grease from the Italian sausage to puddle at the bottom - just enough to spoon out, but not enough to spoil the otherwise outstanding flavor of what I think has become their "slightly sweet" sauce.

The other nitpicks? Well, not so much nitpicks as concerns. We noticed on our last visit that Gab's had discontinued Sunday service, and last night we found out they are now closed on Monday's as well. Also, some of the desserts we had enjoyed previously were no longer available - most notably, their absolutely incredible carrot cake. And the disappearance of the latter was a *huge* disappointment for this birthday boy . Also, again a very minor nitpick, but the menu holders look just beat to death, threadbare and worn, clearly in need of replacement. No one of those things is, on its own, an issue, but taken together can make one wonder if they're having financial pressure that's forced them to adjust their business accordingly. That's pure supposition on my part.

But please, please, please, don't take my nitpicks as a negative on Gabriella's. I'd continue to recommend it wholeheartedly to anyone. Our family had a wonderful meal, everything tasted just great, and it has clearly become my family's special occasion destination restaurant. We haven't had one of those in a while, and just hope they continue to enjoy success for a very long time.

Happy belated birthday and thanks for the review / update.

It's funny how after places are open for a year or two how people stop talking about them.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    Happy belated birthday and thanks for the review / update.

It's funny how after places are open for a year or two how people stop talking about them.
    Thank ya, sir!

Quote Originally Posted by SoonerDave View Post
    With no update on this thread in over a year, I thought I'd take a moment and offer some thoughts on our visit for my birthday last night (2 Oct)...

As it has been on every prior visit, our food was outstanding with only a few minor nitpicks. I had the Five Layer Lasanga (18, IIRC) and my wife had Eggplant Parmagiana (17). Each was served piping hot and with a more than generous portion size. My daughter had the Garlic Chicken Rotini (also 17 IIRC), which was served with a rich, zesty garlic sauce. My son asked for a half-and-half plate of toasted and regular ravioli, and both were very good (Sorry, do not recall the price). Salad, cheese, and pepper tray were sublime as always. We love their salad dressing - it's just a simple oil, vinegar, and garlic mix, but the great flavor is driven by that very simplicity.

The minor nitpicks? The last time I had lasagne at Gabriella's, it was served on a plate. This time, it was served in an elongated bowl, and perhaps had been baked off prior to serving long enough to allow just a bit of grease from the Italian sausage to puddle at the bottom - just enough to spoon out, but not enough to spoil the otherwise outstanding flavor of what I think has become their "slightly sweet" sauce.

The other nitpicks? Well, not so much nitpicks as concerns. We noticed on our last visit that Gab's had discontinued Sunday service, and last night we found out they are now closed on Monday's as well. Also, some of the desserts we had enjoyed previously were no longer available - most notably, their absolutely incredible carrot cake. And the disappearance of the latter was a *huge* disappointment for this birthday boy . Also, again a very minor nitpick, but the menu holders look just beat to death, threadbare and worn, clearly in need of replacement. No one of those things is, on its own, an issue, but taken together can make one wonder if they're having financial pressure that's forced them to adjust their business accordingly. That's pure supposition on my part.

But please, please, please, don't take my nitpicks as a negative on Gabriella's. I'd continue to recommend it wholeheartedly to anyone. Our family had a wonderful meal, everything tasted just great, and it has clearly become my family's special occasion destination restaurant. We haven't had one of those in a while, and just hope they continue to enjoy success for a very long time.
    Many restaurants end up deciding to close on Sunday and/or Monday. Traditionally, outside of Sunday brunch, those are the slowest days of the week. I know at least Packard and the Mule started out being closed on Sunday and open on Monday but both decided to serve a Sunday brunch which led to both being closed Sunday afternoon and Monday. I'm sure Gabriellas tried it for awhile and decided that it just wasn't worth being open on Sundays and Mondays.

Quote Originally Posted by PhiAlpha View Post
    Many restaurants end up deciding to close on Sunday and/or Monday. Traditionally, outside of Sunday brunch, those are the slowest days of the week. I know at least Packard and the Mule started out being closed on Sunday and open on Monday but both decided to serve a Sunday brunch which led to both being closed Sunday afternoon and Monday. I'm sure Gabriellas tried it for awhile and decided that it just wasn't worth being open on Sundays and Mondays.
    Good to know/hear that. I can surely see how their location would have made Sunday service problematic, especially at lunchtime, and it certainly stands to reason a Monday isn't a very busy day. I was surprised at the number of folks there last night, on a Thursday...

15. Default Re: Gabriella's

Pretty sure Gabriella's has been closed on Sundays and Mondays since the first opened for business.

Quote Originally Posted by SoonerDave View Post
    Good to know/hear that. I can surely see how their location would have made Sunday service problematic, especially at lunchtime, and it certainly stands to reason a Monday isn't a very busy day. I was surprised at the number of folks there last night, on a Thursday...
    I could see Sundays being an issue as well. Though I bet if they made a brunch menu, it would be packed in the morning/early afternoon.

Really like Gabriellas food, just kind of a crappy location.

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymous. View Post
    Really like Gabriellas food, just kind of a crappy location.
    Disagree. . .love the location. . . one of the best suburban views of the City IMO. . .

I agree that it is a great location. They also have fantastic Sangria.

20. Default Re: Gabriella's

Yeah, agree about the location. The NE quadrant is really the last place in town to connect with the rapidly-disappearing "old" OKC, from the first half of the 20th century. OKC has done such a fine job of erasing its own history over the past 60 years, but it really was shaping up as an interesting place prior to the 50s. Gabriella's, much like The Haunted House or Jamil's, lets you peek into that history, albeit with a new twist on the food served there. It's also nice to be surrounded by the mature trees in that part of town, and the place has a dynamite view of the State Capitol and the downtown skyline.

I might have posted this before (too lazy to check) but the spinach and artichoke dip is the best in the city. If you come here, you have to order it. Seriously.

Quote Originally Posted by Urbanized View Post
    Pretty sure Gabriella's has been closed on Sundays and Mondays since the first opened for business.
    They served on Sundays when they first opened, and I know this because we had planned a visit near their first opening for a Sunday lunch. When I called to make a reservation, they advised they were no longer open on Sundays. Now, they didn't serve on Sundays for very long, but they did.

I haven't searched back on this thread to verify, but I believe someone here mentioned when they stopped serving on Mondays. In fact, note the header for this thread from when they first opened, and you'll note that it includes Monday hours.

I only make the comment on location due to the other places surrounding it. I know the patio view is very nice. But what you have nearby: the museum, a wedding venue, I guess you can make arguments for Tinseltown and Remington Park. I just feel it has more potential in another location.

Anyone been lately?

Wondering how their food quality and business is holding up.

25. Default Re: Gabriella's

The last time I was there was on a Saturday night probably about two months ago. The place was packed at 5 PM, to the point where they asked if we had reservations and politely acted like there was zero chance of being seated in a reasonable amount of time if not. I will reiterate, this was 5 PM, not 7 or 8. We WERE able to score a couple of seats at the bar, which itself was full nearly the entire time we were there. Both the food and the service were great.

Thread Information