address=629 W. Main
    owner= David Wanzer
    finish=1936
    sq. feet=29,852
    acerage=.3627

|image=

Information & Latest News

1/29/14: Wanzer buys, plans renovation
    5/22/12: Application before the Downtown Design Review Committee to replace windows and storefronts; will be heard 6/21/12.
    Links

County Assessor Record
    Gallery

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	21412M8022BarneyHillermanCollection-Photographs-Box2HILLSBUSINESSUNIVERSITY619WMAINSTOKLAHOMACIT.jpg 
Views:	340 
Size:	119.8 KB 
ID:	6494   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	9272692898_8fe60b3511_b.jpg 
Views:	428 
Size:	520.9 KB 
ID:	6495   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	a52c974b0b4df3e0b0e86170b7006cdf.jpg 
Views:	322 
Size:	134.5 KB 
ID:	6496   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	mainstreetarcade2_800.jpg 
Views:	315 
Size:	342.5 KB 
ID:	6498   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	arcadenewest4.jpg 
Views:	1263 
Size:	68.0 KB 
ID:	9310   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	arcadenewest3.jpg 
Views:	1255 
Size:	70.5 KB 
ID:	9311   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	arcadenewest2.jpg 
Views:	2892 
Size:	117.1 KB 
ID:	9312   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	arcadenewest1.jpg 
Views:	1280 
Size:	71.4 KB 
ID:	9313  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	arcade101415b.jpg 
Views:	1889 
Size:	89.4 KB 
ID:	11618   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	arcade101415a.jpg 
Views:	1882 
Size:	125.0 KB 
ID:	11617  

2. Default Re: Main Street Arcade Building

Map

3. Default Re: Main Street Arcade Building

R.D. and Scott Smith - Cosair Cattle Co. - own the building.

Default Re: Main Street Arcade Building

That building was bought from the Baptist Church in 2009 by a local invetment/development firm called Corsair.

Corsair owns a bunch of properties in the downtown and midtown areas.

Imagine lofts upstairs, and retail at ground level...notice how the building curves at the corner to compliment the street corner, nice....

6. Default Re: Main Street Arcade Building

One can look at the Corsair track record the past 20 years and see two brothers who buy properties and let them sit for years, with no improvements, until they sell at much higher prices than for which they were bought (evidence: Packard Building on NW 10), or see a pair who have taken a chance on buying up risky old properties and have brought in cool new development (evidence: Ludevine in MidTown).

Don't they also own the Elemental Coffee building?

I know they recently started renovation on a small office building in Midtown.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve View Post
    or see a pair who have taken a chance on buying up risky old properties and have brought in cool new development (evidence: Ludevine in MidTown).
    Also, our former office site, 228 2nd Street in Deep Deuce- now Sage and apartments.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete Brzycki View Post
    Don't they also own the Elemental Coffee building?
    Yes

9. Default Re: Main Street Arcade Building

And owned the Plaza Court (now McNellie's, Irma's, YMCA) and the buildings on the NW corner of 13th and Robinson. While I know they hold onto buildings for a long time and don't seem to take on much of the development themselves, I also think it is encouraging that they rarely if ever seem to tear down good historic stock, and ultimately sell to people who do a good job renovating it.

That building (Main Street Arcade) might be my favorite old building in downtown; certainly my favorite that hasn't been renovated. I have secretly dreamed for years of owning it. One of the few buildings in downtown that absolutely feels like the turn of the twentieth century.

Maybe the new streetscape along Main will prompt someone to take it on, and to restore the historic retail window openings on the street level. New streetscapes seem to have a way of doing that.

10. Default Re: Main Street Arcade Building

Plaza Court is not Cosair's work - all they did was lease a single space to Subway before selling it to Greg Banta/Bob Howard

Well, we can rest assured either way that Corsair is not going to renovate this building. I've always thought that building had Plaza Court written all over it. It would make a smashing rehabilitation, and could use a bright neon sign on the roof (imagine how it would enhance the skyline view from the perspective further down Main).

Wasn't this site also just identified as one of the potential parking garage locations?

12. Default Re: Main Street Arcade Building

Quote Originally Posted by Spartan View Post
    Well, we can rest assured either way that Corsair is not going to renovate this building....
    A couple of years ago I would have agreed with you. But with the other projects they've done more recently, maybe I was wrong. Truth be told, I've not made a good effort to meet the two, ask them about their thoughts and ideas. And that's my bad.

Quote Originally Posted by Urbanized View Post
    And owned the Plaza Court (now McNellie's, Irma's, YMCA) and the buildings on the NW corner of 13th and Robinson. While I know they hold onto buildings for a long time and don't seem to take on much of the development themselves, I also think it is encouraging that they rarely if ever seem to tear down good historic stock, and ultimately sell to people who do a good job renovating it.

That building (Main Street Arcade) might be my favorite old building in downtown; certainly my favorite that hasn't been renovated. I have secretly dreamed for years of owning it. One of the few buildings in downtown that absolutely feels like the turn of the twentieth century.

Maybe the new streetscape along Main will prompt someone to take it on, and to restore the historic retail window openings on the street level. New streetscapes seem to have a way of doing that.
    I've always thought the exact same.

Plaza Court is not Cosair's work - all they did was lease a single space to Subway before selling it to Greg Banta/Bob Howard
    they had the mcnellies deal done in principle before they sold to banta ...... and they also have owned the building just east of plaza court (fully leased) for about 20 years ..

A couple of years ago I would have agreed with you. But with the other projects they've done more recently, maybe I was wrong. Truth be told, I've not made a good effort to meet the two, ask them about their thoughts and ideas. And that's my bad.
    i don't think they would have any desire to meet with the press ... and or share any of their ideas

Blog Entries

Are you being cynical or do you know them?

17. Default Re: Main Street Arcade Building

I didn't say it was their work; neither are the buildings on the NW corner of 13th and Rob. The point I was making is that they at one point OWNED the buildings (in some cases for extended and sometimes frustratingly inactive periods), but I'm not aware of any real penchant they have for tearing down old buildings. This bodes well for Main Street Arcade, in my opinion.

I don't know if you can go so far as to credit them as being caretakers, but many if not most of those buildings would have been torn down without a second thought by many, or even most other owners. Now they are buildings that are restored or in the process of restoration. A few of the buildings formerly owned by them have become some of the more interesting and inspiring small-to-medium revitalization projects in downtown over the past decade. Those buildings all could have met much, much worse fates than being owned by Corsair.

18. Default Re: Main Street Arcade Building

true

19. Default Re: Main Street Arcade Building

Here's some history on the origins and early uses of this building. The County Assessor's on-line records show a couple of images and indicates that this property was constructed in 1936 and contains 29,852 square feet.

That construction date is wrong.
    A 1920 Oklahoman article reflects that the property was built in 1920 for the exclusive use of "little shops". A 1922 Oklahoman advertisement/prospectus gives further description.

A May 1923 full page ad shows that the 2nd floor of the property became occupied by Hills Business College.

Click image for full-sized view

The property was acquired by the Downtown Baptist Church in 1934, and in 1938, and apparently for many years thereafter, the property was the home of the Downtown Baptist Church.

That's as far as I went in my research.

As it happens, Downtown was my wife's home church and Rev. Cook performed our marriage ceremony. Jo's grandfather was a long-time deacon there, and I've helped count the offering many a Sunday morning. I wasn't aware that the church had finally sold the building; we hadn't been active there since Cook's death, and many of the original members have either died or moved to the suburbs (as we did) and found the distance to downtown too far to drive.

Jo tells me that the top floor, where everything other than the pastor's office and the food room was located, was a roller skating rink and had a boxing ring, before the church bought the property. The food room, located in that great corner area, handed out food parcels to the needy, and also served hot meals. We helped serve one Thanksgiving Dinner there back in the 70s. The church also sponsored Grace Rescue Mission, which was located a few blocks away in the California-Reno area until Urban Renewal forced it to move; after relocating to a building in Stockyards City the mission sort of faded into nothingness...

Doug, you might search for more about W.E. Cook -- he was a real character, almost the stereotype of the fire-breathing hard-shell Baptist minister, but also one of the most compassionate people I've ever met. Look especially for stories of his shouting matches with George Miskovsky on the sidewalk of the main business district, and his PA problems with beer joints near the mission! There's another blog item there for you, but I'm much too close to the subject to write it...
    Last edited by Jim Kyle; 01-11-2012 at 09:05 AM. Reason: To add boxing ring and correct the floor.

Great news: application before the Downtown Design Review Committee to replace all the windows and put new storefronts in this cool old building.

I'm sure their plan is to market the property for lease and I bet they find some takers.

22. Default Re: Main Street Arcade Building

Man, I wish I could do something there. That building has been one of my favorites downtown for years. A nice vibe going on over there these days with P180 and Film Row. You can see the Main Street Arcade from Joey's Pizzaria on Film Row. That whole area has such potential.

Big plans to renovate this awesome building. Note the addition of all glass at ground level and also the restoration of the transom windows above the canopy.

Can't wait to see what this looks like when finished -- it really is a gem on a very visible corner and an important link between Film Row and the Arts District.

Very cool. I wonder if they have any plans for the second floor because residential would be very nice and would provide customers for all those new store fronts.

Under intended use, their application states: "Commercial lease space". I don't think residential is part of the plan.

BUT, residential is needed in that area and there are still tons of vacant building and lots. I'm sure we'll see some apartments soon.

Here's a bit of history on the building:

"The original two-story 29,852 sq ft masonry structure was built in 1936. Sanborn
    Maps of 1922 and 1950 indicate that the structure had been occupied by a Lodge
    Hall, Printing Store, Restaurant, a Business College, various retail shops, and
    more recently, the Downtown Baptist Church.

The structure has been identified Downtown Oklahoma City Intensive Survey,
    Phase 1 as a historic resource eligible to be included in a potential historic district."

Thread Information