Page 1 of 25 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Boeing

Default Boeing

Contract offers growth for Boeing (DOK)

USAF Picks Boeing Over Pemco For KC-135 PDM
    Aviation Now | 9/11/2007

By Ja’Rena Lunsford
    Business Writer
    After two years of waiting, the Boeing Co. was awarded a $1.1 billion contract from the U.S. Air Force that will involve work in Oklahoma City.

The 10-year contract will continue Boeing's maintenance work on the KC-135 aircraft, strengthening the company's presence in Oklahoma.

"This means we will be able to continue to grow our company in Oklahoma City,” said Ben T. Robinson, KC-135 program director.

Boeing began working on securing the contract two years ago and expected to learn the results a year and a half ago. Robinson said although word on the contract did not come as soon as Boeing expected, executives are pleased the company was chosen. "We deeply appreciate the confidence the U.S. Air Force has shown in the Boeing Co.,” he said.

Boeing is no stranger to the KC-135. Along with building the aerial refueling aircraft more than 50 years ago, Boeing has been under contract to provide depot maintenance on the Air Force's fleet of more than 200 KC-135s since 1998.

"Always on time, the Boeing KC-135 (programmed depot maintenance) program has a solid track record with proven results,” Pat Finneran said in a statement. Finneran is president of Boeing Support Systems.

Boeing's program depot maintenance program management office is in Oklahoma City, near Tinker Air Force Base. The company has 80 employees in Oklahoma, 75 in Missouri and 300 in San Antonio, Texas.

Robinson said although the contract does not necessarily mean Boeing will add employees in Oklahoma City, the deal does result in job security for current employees.

"It certainly means we won't be losing any people,” Robinson said.

The contract also is a sign that the Air Force won't be losing the aging KC-135 anytime soon, Robinson said. Boeing plans on modifying the plane. Although the KC-X is expected to eventually phase out the KC-135, Robinson said the latter still has many years of flight left.

"There's no reason it can't be around another 30 to 35 years,” he said. Robinson said he expects Boeing to be along side the KC-135 during those years as well.

"Boeing built this airplane and we have a tremendous amount of pride in it,” he said. "We will never step away from it. We will be there until the day they retire this aircraft.”

2. Default ~500 new jobs in OKC thanks to Boeing

OKLAHOMA CITY -- The Boeing Company says it is relocating two programs from Long Beach, Calif., to Oklahoma City, a move expected to bring 550 engineering jobs to the state.

Boeing announced in a news release Monday it is moving its C-130 Avionics Modernization program to Oklahoma City beginning in the first quarter of 2011. The move of the B-1 program is expected toward the end of 2012.

Both programs are part of the Maintenance, Modifications & Upgrades division of the company's St. Louis-based Boeing Defense, Space & Security.

MM&U Vice President and General Manager Mark Bass says the relocation will help Boeing "provide a more competitive cost structure for customers."

Boeing says some California employees will be relocated, while other positions will be hired locally.

3. Default Re: ~500 new jobs in OKC thanks to Boeing

Doesn't look like call center jobs.

Blog Entries

Default Re: ~500 new jobs in OKC thanks to Boeing

Great news.

In my opinion, if Oklahoma focused on relocating businesses here from California alone it would have great success quickly. The state is in trouble and people are tired of paying the high price to be there. I am helping move 2 companies here from the LA area and when we compared, it wasn't even close. A slam dunk. Only question was whether to move it to OKC, Dallas or Denver. OKC won out. Cali is fertile ground.

That would be outstanding.

This is great news! Its definitely the largest corporate relocation to OKC since I've been here. Anyone care to guess when there was one larger?

Quote Originally Posted by adaniel View Post
    This is great news! Its definitely the largest corporate relocation to OKC since I've been here. Anyone care to guess when there was one larger?
    When the Texas State Legislature tried to hide in Ardmore?

8. Default Re: ~500 new jobs in OKC thanks to Boeing

Quote Originally Posted by Kerry View Post
    Heh.

Amazing to have these types of ENGINEERING jobs coming into the state. What's the opposite of brain drain? Brain regain?

Fantastic news!

OKC is way cheaper than Denver and less expensive than most parts of Dallas.

As the city's reputation continues to grow on a national stage, I think we'll see more of this, similar to what happened to Charlotte, Austin, Vegas, etc.

If you were a company looking for a nice place to operate a business where you could be efficient and still provide a great lifestyle to your employees, it would be hard to not take a hard look at Oklahoma City.

Bring on the 6 figure geeks!

Awesome news for sure

both of these programs are tied/related to the Oklahoma City Air Logistics Center at Tinker. Cheer those folks on!!

I'll drink to that!

Quote Originally Posted by Pete Brzycki View Post
    Fantastic news!

OKC is way cheaper than Denver and less expensive than most parts of Dallas.

As the city's reputation continues to grow on a national stage, I think we'll see more of this, similar to what happened to Charlotte, Austin, Vegas, etc.

If you were a company looking for a nice place to operate a business where you could be efficient and still provide a great lifestyle to your employees, it would be hard to not take a hard look at Oklahoma City.
    Yes this. Except hopefully not the part about being like Charlotte (can you say banking bust?) or Vegas (needs no explanation.)

Great news nonetheless.

Quote Originally Posted by foodiefan View Post
    both of these programs are tied/related to the Oklahoma City Air Logistics Center at Tinker. Cheer those folks on!!
    So will the facility be at Tinker or WRWA?

Quote Originally Posted by adaniel View Post
    Clarification, this is "not" a corporate relocation of their HQ just jobs at an airplane factory. This is great news for OKC. It would be great if a major company moves into Devon Energy old tower when they relocate to the new one? Would be great if they were high paying white collar jobs!

16. Default Re: ~500 new jobs in OKC thanks to Boeing

Quote Originally Posted by Easy180 View Post
    Bring on the 6 figure geeks!

Awesome news for sure
    Those kind of remarks make me proud to be a geek!

I think it's hilarious that when people here in Houston discover I am from Oklahoma City, they are left dumbfounded that there are software geeks that come from Oklahoma. Although lately they've changed their tune, thanks to a combination of press from OKC and my ambassadorship as a proud OKC native. I've schooled them several times.
    Continue the Renaissance!!!

That was the Texas Democrats in the state legislature, the Democrats in the Senate went to Santa Fe, New Mexico. All that was in the redistricting battle in the 2003 session.

Quote Originally Posted by okcpulse View Post
    Those kind of remarks make me proud to be a geek!

I think it's hilarious that when people here in Houston discover I am from Oklahoma City, they are left dumbfounded that there are software geeks that come from Oklahoma. Although lately they've changed their tune, thanks to a combination of press from OKC and my ambassadorship as a proud OKC native. I've schooled them several times.
    Keep up the good work!

Quote Originally Posted by progressiveboy View Post
    Clarification, this is "not" a corporate relocation of their HQ just jobs at an airplane factory. This is great news for OKC. It would be great if a major company moves into Devon Energy old tower when they relocate to the new one? Would be great if they were high paying white collar jobs!
    Gee thanks, us wrench benders and hangar rats are worthless to the economy. Keep in mind these are $30-100K+ a year jobs.... Not bad at all.

20. Default Re: ~500 new jobs in OKC thanks to Boeing

Are they moving into the old Devon mini-tower?

21. Default Re: ~500 new jobs in OKC thanks to Boeing

mini-tower?

it is a 19-storey tower that is at least 300 feet. ...
    Oklahoma City, the RENAISSANCE CITY!

22. Default Re: ~500 new jobs in OKC thanks to Boeing

Yeah, that is mini. Chase is the mega. The new Devon tower is the monster.

No office jobs are moving in. There will be SOME office jobs, but not enough to be significant. I'm sure all jobs will be located at Tinker.

Pete, you are spot on. The cost of living and the cost of doing business in the Denver metro area is ridiculously high compared to Oklahoma City, and it has been that way for years. From what I understand, at least 2 major companies that were headquartered in Denver (Qwest Communications and Frontier Airlines) have moved to other parts of the country in the past 2 years because the state taxed them out. The state has very high taxes on everything, including a $.01 "soda tax" that was recently implemented for any item that has sugar (soda, candy bars, etc.).

IMO, Colorado is setting itself up for disaster and may become another California in 20-30 years...

25. Default Re: ~500 new jobs in OKC thanks to Boeing

Great news indeed! Doesn't sound like we had to throw cash at them to get it, either.

Don't Edmond My Downtown

Thread Information