Widgets Magazine
Page 9 of 25 FirstFirst ... 4567891011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: Boeing

Default Re: ~ 800 new jobs in OKC thanks to Boeing

^^Wasn't that just for the 550 Long Beach jobs?

Yeah but why would they then split half their workforce between the new jobs at the current and currently expanding offices, and a new downtown office?

Quote Originally Posted by catch22 View Post
    Why? They are building a new office building out by Tinker as we speak.
    That building is for the other 550 jobs Boeing is relocating from Long Beach. I don't see them squeezing close to 1,500 employees in that building.

Quote Originally Posted by G.Walker View Post
    That building is for the other 550 jobs Boeing is relocating from Long Beach. I don't them squeezing close to 1,500 employees in that building.
    They'd probably start building a new building next to it?

maybe build an expansion building on that same site?seems like enough room to build more?

Earlier, Boeing said it would need 320,000 square feet for those first 550 jobs; that would equate to about 480,000 square feet for these 800 jobs -- and they said at LEAST 800.

480,000 square feet is almost exactly the size of Sandridge Center (Tower) and only slightly less than Oklahoma Tower.

If they locate these jobs near Tinker, there is going to have to be some major construction in that area. And really, there isn't that much space downtown, either.

Just think what economic oppurtunity OKC lost to Indianapolis in the 90's!I cant wait till we see a HUGE relocation,not that this isnt big!

If anyone actually read the article/ watched the video, they would have heard that they are building another 6 story building next to their existing one. makes sense.

Metro, that 6-story building is to help house the previously announced 550 jobs coming from Long Beach.

Oh ok, but I thought they said ANOTHER 6 story in addition to the one they are building for Long Beach?

Quote Originally Posted by metro View Post
    If anyone actually read the article/ watched the video, they would have heard that they are building another 6 story building next to their existing one. makes sense.
    This...

That exsisting Boeing building has been there for years,the six story building is for the Long Beach relocation.I wonder if they will build up or spread a facility out with this new 800 jobs?
    Last edited by dmoor82; 01-04-2012 at 06:03 PM. Reason: question answered

No... They have an existing 4-story building and Gardner Tanenbaum is constructing this six-story structure right next to it as part of the 320,000 square feet they'll need to house the 550, which are gradually moving/being hired. They will take every bit of that new building and still may need more space just for the 550 people.

The building under construction has absolutely nothing to do with today's announcement and may in fact still not be enough for what they had already announced.

However, it does seem their intention is to have a "campus" so I would expect them to add another building or two at the current location at Air Depot & SE 59th.

I remember an article by Steve last year on downtown office space, and with interviewing Cathy O'Connor, her exact words were "I would like to see Boeing have a downtown presence, but that something we could hope for in the future" can someone pull that article..?

I agree it would be great to have them downtown, but they have already started construction and investing in that area at 59th and Air Depot....it wouldn't make sense to spend the money to build the office, then move everything downtown.

It also wouldn't make sense to move the 800+ jobs downtown, and leave the 1,000 other jobs at a separate office complex by Tinker. It would make more sense to build an office next to the existing ones, since that's where their investment is right now anyway. It would be like Chesapeake spending all of that money building and improving their empire, only to decide they want to be downtown. Besides, Boeing would have to build new...not much contiguous space downtown. I doubt they are interested in building a skyscraper at this present time.

Remember, they are leasing the one building they occupy and the other under construction. Both were built and are owned by Gardner/Tanenbaum.

Looking at the aerial below, the yellow is their current 4-story 200,000 sq. ft. building; pink shows the 6-story 320,000 sq. ft. building under construction.

Blue is property also owned by G/T.

So Gardner is building then leasing out to Boeing? Both buildings, correct?

Yes, catch22 that is correct.

Also, they moved into that 4-story building to consolidate their employees to one site.

However, clearly these new jobs that are coming have been halfway across the country from the ones in Long Beach, so there isn't necessarily synergy between the two groups. They may want that to happen, but they've always been very separate in the past.

It's nice to see so many people happy about this move, but it's also nice to see the people of Oklahoma City recognize the community of Wichita will be dramatically impacted. So many times, especially nowadays, people prefer to gloat without thinking of others affected.

Good for you, OKC.

Quote Originally Posted by catch22 View Post
    I agree it would be great to have them downtown, but they have already started construction and investing in that area at 59th and Air Depot....it wouldn't make sense to spend the money to build the office, then move everything downtown.

It also wouldn't make sense to move the 800+ jobs downtown, and leave the 1,000 other jobs at a separate office complex by Tinker. It would make more sense to build an office next to the existing ones, since that's where their investment is right now anyway. It would be like Chesapeake spending all of that money building and improving their empire, only to decide they want to be downtown. Besides, Boeing would have to build
    new...not much contiguous space downtown. I doubt they are interested in building a skyscraper at this present time.
    Corporations spread out in different office spaces all the time. Chesapeake has offices all over the city and remember Devon was located in 5 separate building for years.

I just can't see Boeing building an office tower downtown.....I would absolutely love to be proven wrong though.

G.Walker, this was the quote from Steve's July 17, 2011 article:

O'Connor also admits to having her own dream addition to the downtown skyline.

“We're going to see companies from other communities come here,” O'Connor said. “We would love to see Boeing have a downtown presence. I wouldn't rule that out. I think that's the sort of thing we can look forward to in the future.”

Read more: http://newsok.com/new-public-parking...#ixzz1iXl57NaH

I know the Chamber was heavily involved in this latest Boeing announcement, so this comment by O'Connor is not without significance.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete Brzycki View Post
    G.Walker, this was the quote from Steve's July 17, 2011 article:

I know the Chamber was heavily involved in this latest Boeing announcement, so this comment by O'Connor is not without significance.
    Thanks Pete...hopefully this will happen now that we have 800+ jobs coming!

BTW, there is definitely not 500,000 square feet available downtown, unless you want to count FNC after Devon makes the move. But, I seriously doubt that setup would suit their needs.

Maybe time for a 1,000,000 square foot spec tower with Boeing as the anchor tenant. With all the interest in OKC and downtown in particular, we need large blocks of Class A space to lure these companies.

I'd love to see Devon get involved in partnering with some others to build such a building. Just look at what the availability of the old Kerr McGee and Devon buildings has yielded! Two new big employers downtown that are growing fast and adding tons of high-paying jobs.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete Brzycki View Post
    BTW, there is definitely not 500,000 square feet available downtown, unless you want to count FNC after Devon makes the move. But, I seriously doubt that setup would suit their needs.

Maybe time for a 1,000,000 square foot spec tower with Boeing as the anchor tenant. With all the interest in OKC and downtown in particular, we need large blocks of Class A space to lure these companies.

I'd love to see Devon get involved in partnering with some others to build such a building. Just look at what the availability of the old Kerr McGee and Devon buildings has yielded! Two new big employers downtown that are growing fast and adding tons of high-paying jobs.
    Is Oklahoma Tower still for sale ? It would accommodate 800 employees...

Thread Information