Widgets Magazine
Page 8 of 25 FirstFirst ... 345678910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Boeing

Default Re: ~500 new jobs in OKC thanks to Boeing

Quote Originally Posted by Bellaboo View Post
    High paying engineering jobs moving to OKC - reckon some more of that incentive fund was tapped ?
    Nope. This was a "closing Wichita" issue, not an "enhance OKC" issue.

Quote Originally Posted by SoonerDave View Post
    Nope. This was a "closing Wichita" issue, not an "enhance OKC" issue.
    Are you sure ? They had a "closing Long Beach" issue, which enhanced OKC using the incentive funds ........

Quote Originally Posted by Bellaboo View Post
    High paying engineering jobs moving to OKC - reckon some more of that incentive fund was tapped ?
    Are these jobs coming to OKC proper? If not then the OKC fund that Continental Resources used are not available to Boeing.

Quote Originally Posted by Just the facts View Post
    Are these jobs coming to OKC proper? If not then the OKC fund that Continental Resources used are not available to Boeing.
    I believe i've read in past news that this same fund was tapped for Boeing. The Boeing facility is just West of Tinker, which is OKC.

yes the boeing jobs are coming to OKC ... and the some of the GOLT bonds went to Boeing

Default ~ 800 new jobs in OKC thanks to Boeing

Default Re: ~ 800 new jobs in OKC thanks to Boeing

Great news fo us, but sucks for Wichita.

Its great to hear OKC consistently getting good jobs . Once upon a time, we could only get 1-800 telemarketing places.

Kudos to the OKC Chamber for helping to get this done.

Not only are we getting 800 jobs, but it's the higher-paid positions. Hate that this comes at the expense of another city, though.

The plant employs 2,160 employees, and the company intends to move remaining aircraft maintenance, modification and support work at Wichita to its operation in San Antonio, while remaining engineering work will be moved to Oklahoma City.

Read more: http://newsok.com/boeing-will-move-a...#ixzz1iWbQVGy2

Quote Originally Posted by Pete Brzycki View Post
    Not only are we getting 800 jobs, but it's the higher-paid positions. Hate that this comes at the expense of another city, though.
    At least they're not going overseas.

I guess a good question now is will they build new office space to accommodate 800 jobs? I think they would almost have to, the new office they are building is for the other new 550 jobs added.

Quote Originally Posted by Midtowner View Post
    Kudos to the OKC Chamber for helping to get this done.
    : )

Wow,read some of the hundreds of comments on this story from the Wichita Eagle!http://www.kansas.com/2012/01/04/216...ita-plant.html

Hopefully they'll give the option to transfer to some of the Wichita employees. That's at least not too far of a move to make for work.

They will give some the option to relocate here. Also, I believe they are moving some engineering jobs here from Seattle, even though that area will see a slight net gain in Boeing employment as well.

As for the comments on the news site, I would expect a similar reaction here if Devon just up and moved to Houston, or something similar. Wichita is basically a one-horse factory town, with the "horse" being planes, so this is pretty devastating to them.

Its great for us, but I feel a bit dirty benefitting from someone else's pain.

I referenced this back in the Retail thread, but this is just one of the many big things the OKC Chamber has been working on. Mary Fallin and Dave Lopez have been working non-stop on this, too. All of them have done a great job.

Even better: get ready, because this may just be the first domino to fall in our favor. From what I'm hearing, there's a strong chance something even bigger may be announced later this year.

Yeah, it stinks for Wichita.

They are losing almost 3x the number of jobs we are gaining, and they are half our size.

I'm thankful for the jobs being added here, but I know it news like this devastates communities and families that have given their lives to Boeing. But like others are saying, better here than china or mexico like so many other manufactures are doing.

19. Default Re: ~ 800 new jobs in OKC thanks to Boeing

I grew up in Wichita, and didn't move to OKC 'til college. I'm fairly certain I was an adult before I understood that Boeing wasn't HEADQUARTERED in Wichita. They had a higher profile than companies that actually WERE HQ'd there, like Cessna, Beechcraft and Learjet, probably because so many people worked there at its peak.

It's probably more (emotionally though maybe not not financially) painful for them than losing Devon would be for us, because the city's entire culture has largely revolved around Boeing for generations. Probably feels more like it would feel to lose Tinker, or Kerr McGee when it was its real self in the 70s or 80s, but even then I'm not sure. It's part of the identity of that town.

Great get for OKC, though, no question.

Anyone know what kind of economic impact this will have on OKC,roughly?Losing 2,100 jobs fo a metro the size of Wichita is Huge!I can only imagine what those that will be layed off will do for a living if not offered a job in OKC or SA,Seattle!

Quote Originally Posted by Urbanized View Post
    I grew up in Wichita, and didn't move to OKC 'til college. I'm fairly certain I was an adult before I understood that Boeing wasn't HEADQUARTERED in Wichita. They had a higher profile than companies that actually WERE HQ'd there, like Cessna, Beechcraft and Learjet, probably because so many people worked there at its peak.

It's probably more (emotionally though maybe not not financially) painful for them than losing Devon would be for us, because the city's entire culture has largely revolved around Boeing for generations. Probably feels more like it would feel to lose Tinker, or Kerr McGee when it was its real self in the 70s or 80s, but even then I'm not sure. It's part of the identity of that town.

Great get for OKC, though, no question.
    The thing that stinks for Wichita is Boeing is leaving town against the backdrop of Hawker, Cessna, and others making pretty sizeable cutbacks over the past few years. Its like the soul of the city is being smothered. Its similar to the steel industry implosion in my dad's hometown of Pittsburgh in the 1970's. They are only now recovering. And I certainly don't have to mention how many times OKC has been on the losing side of stories like these.

I will say I have been to Wichita on a few occasions. While its not a place I would want to live, like many other blue collar leaning places, the people were fantastic, warm, salt of the earth types. I'm sure they will recover eventually.

Plus Boeing is giving their employees a year and a half to sort out their finances, find new work, etc. Much better than most companies.

The economic impact of 800 high paying jobs now in OKC will be very large. As a whole, this area's household incomes are still a bit on the low side, so it will provide a pretty big jolt and trickle down-effect. It would be on the same level as 4,000 jobs relocating to DFW.

22. Default Re: ~ 800 new jobs in OKC thanks to Boeing

Yeah, that's what I was getting at; their nickname is "Air Capital of the the World," and they use that nickname often and with pride. Do we even HAVE a nickname? The "Air Capital" identity was multi-generational, and it was largely centered around Boeing. So Boeing suddenly now having ZERO presence there...amazing. The analogy to Pittsburgh and steel is a good one. Or Detroit and the auto industry, though thankfully Wichita hasn't fallen the same way, at least yet.

In OKC, when the GM plant closed, it sadly affected tons of people, but GM or Western Electric or Dayton Tire were not so closely tied to the identity of the city, and I'm not sure OKC even has a close analog. I'll guarantee you their guts feel ripped out.

Quote Originally Posted by king183 View Post
    I referenced this back in the Retail thread, but this is just one of the many big things the OKC Chamber has been working on. Mary Fallin and Dave Lopez have been working non-stop on this, too. All of them have done a great job.

Even better: get ready, because this may just be the first domino to fall in our favor. From what I'm hearing, there's a strong chance something even bigger may be announced later this year.
    I would LOVE to know what your hearing about something larger later this year!

So now will we see a Boeing presence downtown?

Quote Originally Posted by G.Walker View Post
    So now will we see a Boeing presence downtown?
    Why? They are building a new office building out by Tinker as we speak.

Thread Information