Widgets Magazine
Page 3 of 25 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Boeing

Default Re: ~500 new jobs in OKC thanks to Boeing

http://blog.thenewstribune.com/busin...heaper-locale/
    Found an informative article out of Tacoma, WA. Maybe other corporations will take notice that Oklahoma is a low-cost state.

Quote Originally Posted by BG918 View Post
    Qwest moved its HQ from Denver to Monroe, LA after a merger.
    No it didn't. Qwest is still headquartered in Denver. (at least that's what Qwest seems to think according to their website.) ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by Oil Capital View Post
    No it didn't. Qwest is still headquartered in Denver. (at least that's what Qwest seems to think according to their website.) ;-)
    I think they're in the process of moving to Louisiana right now. They announced the decision in March or April of this year.

Quote Originally Posted by Kerry View Post
    There is the problem. Unless these people have been paying on their home for 15 years they aren't going anywhere. I have friends in California that would love to move but unless they want to keep making loan payments on a home they no longer live in they can't do it. California is a slow motion train wreck in progress.
    We had quite a few engineers from California come to work for us in OKC, many moved because they could afford to as most were in their 50's and had bought their houses out there in the early 90's. They came to Oklahoma to work until retirement and retire comfortably. Some familial connections to Oklahoma so that made it an easier decision for most.

Quote Originally Posted by CO-To-OKC View Post
    I think they're in the process of moving to Louisiana right now. They announced the decision in March or April of this year.
    I found an article from last week about the issue.

The Denver Post - After several headquarters losses, Colorado labors to boost its corporate clout

I see. Thanks for the clarification and info.

6. Default Re: ~500 new jobs in OKC thanks to Boeing

Quote Originally Posted by redrunner View Post
    http://blog.thenewstribune.com/busin...heaper-locale/
    Found an informative article out of Tacoma, WA. Maybe other corporations will take notice that Oklahoma is a low-cost state.
    I see the folks up there are still bitter. From the comments: "Oklahoma is a champion.....in the race to the bottom."
    Don't Edmond My Downtown

The "race to the bottom" comment is actually accurate in competing to be the lowest-cost place in my opinion...

Seattle v. Oklahoma...come on lol.

Why do we have this Bass Ackwards approach to things?

AFTER Boeing announced on Monday that they ARE relocating about 500 jobs to OKC. Then it was reported the City will be "likely" be giving Boeing incentives.

Boeing likely will receive some kind of economic incentives from the city to move jobs here, Assistant City Manager Cathy O'Connor said.

"We don't know the amount yet," she said.

O'Connor said Boeing could be eligible for job creation grants from the city's strategic investment program, which is bankrolled by economic development funds approved by voters in 2007.

The Oklahoma City Economic Development Trust is expected to authorize the city manager to negotiate with Boeing.
    Negotiate? Negotiate what? You offer incentives to someone who is thinking about relocating, or beef up your incentives if you have made it as a finalist. You don't offer incentives AFTER they have already made the announcement they are coming!

Nothing against Boeing and the good, high paying jobs that are coming this way. Don't even have a problem with some sort of "thank you".

9. Default Re: ~500 new jobs in OKC thanks to Boeing

Quote Originally Posted by Larry OKC View Post
    Why do we have this Bass Ackwards approach to things?

AFTER Boeing announced on Monday that they ARE relocating about 500 jobs to OKC. Then it was reported the City will be "likely" be giving Boeing incentives.

Negotiate? Negotiate what? You offer incentives to someone who is thinking about relocating, or beef up your incentives if you have made it as a finalist. You don't offer incentives AFTER they have already made the announcement they are coming!

Nothing against Boeing and the good, high paying jobs that are coming this way. Don't even have a problem with some sort of "thank you".
    Those a job incentives as opposed to building incentives. Once the city knows the exact amount of payroll Boeing plans to roll out in Oklahoma, then the city can determine the exact amount of incentives.
    Continue the Renaissance!!!

Job incentives? Not sure what you mean as they have announced the jobs are coming and the number. Now if you are talking about negotiating and offering incentives to bring even more than the announced numbers and/or job categories not included in the announcement, that would be another matter.

I have no idea but imagine incentives have been discussed from day one.

Having recently moved from socal in 2008, and a husband that works on the B1 program we are thinking very few engineers will actually make the move. Why? They won't want to live in OK and/or they are upside down on their homes. My guess is maybe 20% will make the relocation. But, you never know in this job mkt what will happen.

Quote Originally Posted by shadow42 View Post
    Having recently moved from socal in 2008, and a husband that works on the B1 program we are thinking very few engineers will actually make the move. Why? They won't want to live in OK and/or they are upside down on their homes. My guess is maybe 20% will make the relocation. But, you never know in this job mkt what will happen.
    That sounds about right. Unless people have been in their homes for 15 or more years they won't be able to move even if they want to. I would prefer to have the jobs and leave the Californians in California anyhow (I can say this because I am a former Californian myself).

14. Default Re: ~500 new jobs in OKC thanks to Boeing

Quote Originally Posted by shadow42 View Post
    Works for me. Let's have some OU grads take some of those jobs.

I remember when GM opened here, and there was an influx of Californians into OKC area. I was a young, beginning teacher at that time. If the people from Cali are the same caliber as those "kids" and their parents, I hope all of them stay in the land of "fruits and nuts".

Quote Originally Posted by SOONER8693 View Post
    I remember when GM opened here, and there was an influx of Californians into OKC area. I was a young, beginning teacher at that time. If the people from Cali are the same caliber as those "kids" and their parents, I hope all of them stay in the land of "fruits and nuts".
    Nice welcoming Oklahoma attitude. I'm sure we don't want a bunch of "nutty" engineers with their "fruity" ideas moving here. Personally I wouldn't mind seeing Oklahoma becoming a diverse and interesting place to live, welcoming to all, including "nuts," "fruits," and others.

Quote Originally Posted by soonerguru View Post
    Nice welcoming Oklahoma attitude. I'm sure we don't want a bunch of "nutty" engineers with their "fruity" ideas moving here. Personally I wouldn't mind seeing Oklahoma becoming a diverse and interesting place to live, welcoming to all, including "nuts," "fruits," and others.
    If they are the same ones that participated in running California into 'debt hell' then you better be careful what wish for. Oklahoma is not the only state that looks on relocating California residents with a skeptical eye. Just see what people in Oregon, Washington, Idaho, and Arizona think of their recent California refugees. Now granted, these people are probably not part of the entitlement crowd but you never know.

If they are the same ones that participated in running California into 'debt hell' then you better be careful what wish for. Oklahoma is not the only state that looks on relocating California residents with a skeptical eye. Just see what people in Oregon, Washington, Idaho, and Arizona think of their recent California refugees. Now granted, these people are probably not part of the entitlement crowd but you never know.
    Somehow I doubt engineers at Boeing are responsible for California's debt problems.

I'm as welcoming as anybody, thank you. But, I'm also a realist and I know what we got in the past. So, bring them on if they will add to the quality of life in Oklahoma, if not, stay there. Now, if you have a problem with my opinion, tough.

My how the Grapes of Wrath have reversed

That sounds about right. Unless people have been in their homes for 15 or more years they won't be able to move even if they want to. I would prefer to have the jobs and leave the Californians in California anyhow (I can say this because I am a former Californian myself).
    Have home values fallen that much there? I guess for people who bought during the bubble in the early-mid 2000's and are trying to sell now. You don't have that problem at all in Oklahoma. Your value doesn't go up much but if you make some improvements you can at least expect to break even if your house is in a good area.

Quote Originally Posted by BG918 View Post
    Have home values fallen that much there? I guess for people who bought during the bubble in the early-mid 2000's and are trying to sell now. You don't have that problem at all in Oklahoma. Your value doesn't go up much but if you make some improvements you can at least expect to break even if your house is in a good area.
    Depends. Definitely NOT in the Bay Area. I seriously doubt LA has seen much if any decline. The major upside down real estate declines in Cali are in the valley and in the interior cities like Sacramento.

Depends. Definitely NOT in the Bay Area. I seriously doubt LA has seen much if any decline. The major upside down real estate declines in Cali are in the valley and in the interior cities like Sacramento.
    The Bay Area has natural geographic constraints that put pressure on any new development. Plus, the Web 2.0 companies (Youtube, Facebook, Google, etc.) are doing pretty well so employment in high tech is holding up.

Where most of these Boeing workers are coming from (South Bay part of LA I'm assuming), its pretty ugly. I've got a family member who lives in the OC and has been trying to cash out some rental properties in Torrance/El Segundo area. He gave up when he found out he was upside down about 35% (he bought in 2005). You are right about the inland areas though. They are basically selling homes below replacement value in some spots.

Blog Entries

Inland Empire in LA (Riverside County) and much of Orange County is down 35-40% on real estate values from 3-5 years ago. It is UGLY with many foreclosures and most upsided down. Beach cities are bad too, but not as bad. Long Beach area is not good.

Quote Originally Posted by SOONER8693 View Post
    I'm as welcoming as anybody, thank you. But, I'm also a realist and I know what we got in the past. So, bring them on if they will add to the quality of life in Oklahoma, if not, stay there. Now, if you have a problem with my opinion, tough.
    And how do you propose that we accomplish this? Are going to have a battery of tests and screenings for anyone moving into our state? I know many wonderful people who have moved here from all parts of the country including California. Maybe you just know the wrong people.

Thread Information