Widgets Magazine
Page 20 of 25 FirstFirst ... 15161718192021222324 ... LastLast

Thread: Boeing

Default Re: Boeing

Quote Originally Posted by mimino View Post
    When do you think they'll start moving C-17 Sustainment down here?
    I only know what is officially announced, which is 50 C-17 jobs will be moved here over the next 18 months. IIRC, they were all simulation related so they probably won't come until the new building is done. We'll have to wait and see if any more C-17 jobs come here, my bet is they will, probably starting late 2016 through 2017. C-17 is a little bit of an odd fit for OKC, since they are not worked at Tinker, but it is widely speculated that all the sustainment will be moved to OKC anyways. My guess is that it would be around 300-500 new jobs here.

2. Default Re: Boeing

Quote Originally Posted by Sid Burgess View Post
    Not a bit true. We have lots of sunshine.
    Just finished my first year here. The commentary regarding rain, clouds, and sunshine is quite overblown.

Quote Originally Posted by CuatrodeMayo View Post
    Just finished my first year here. The commentary regarding rain, clouds, and sunshine is quite overblown.
    Yeah, I've been up there a few times recently, man it is nice there. Although I have been told by everyone up there (and the data backs this up) that this is an unusual year weatherwise up there.

We were there three years ago, and it was sunny and 78 for the week, and all the locals were loving it saying they had to appreciate it while it was there. Apparently the last two years have been the same, which must be wildly different from the decades before 2012

I lived there for a short time. In the summer it was nice, but the other 3 seasons not so much. Didn't stay there long though.

OKC has a lot of sunny days - 68%. Seattle is near the bottom - 47%. I lived in the Portland area for a few years. Summers are awesome beyond belief. Winters are gray, gloomy, and rainy.

Average Annual Sunshine in US Cities - Current Results

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by pahdz View Post
    We were there three years ago, and it was sunny and 78 for the week, and all the locals were loving it saying they had to appreciate it while it was there. Apparently the last two years have been the same, which must be wildly different from the decades before 2012
    A couple of summers ago (or so), I was there and it was clear and 105 (a record) and over 100 for 4 days while I was there. But, it isn't typical. They have some GREAT days in summer, but as has been pointed out, gray and gloomy many days of fall and winter, and even spring.

Because it's coastal, people forget how far north Seattle is. It's about the same latitude as Fargo, North Dakota.

Which means the days are extremely long in the summer but crazy short in the winter months. I've never liked that trade off; it makes even the late fall and early spring days very short on daylight.

It's a beautiful but I used to go for work quite a bit and never warmed up to the place. I've always wanted to like it much more than I do; same with Portland. And statistics aside, the huge percentage of the time I've spent in both places has been in exceptionally dreary conditions.

Say what you will about Oklahoma but the skies do not tend to stay cloudy for very long. Storms blow through and then the sun shines.

9. Default Re: Boeing

...except for this week and last LOL

Big news in this story - 'In addition, Boeing Global Services & Support unit President Leanne Caret says the headquarters of its Aircraft Modernization and Sustainment division will relocate to Oklahoma City during the next few months.'

I kept meaning to post this, as I've had it since June:

Boeing to build new $50 million facility

Dirt work is underway for a new $50 million 316,000 square foot building to house Boeing's ever-growing operations in Oklahoma City.

As we were first to report:

2/19: OKCTalk - Boeing looking to expand once again
    4/27: OKCTalk - Paycom and Boeing to add a combined 1,323 new jobs over the next 3 years

Oklahoma Industries Authority 5/27/15 purchased the 38.8 acres from Oklahoma County. The County had acquired in 1992.

1,216 parking spaces

Oklahoma Industries Authority 5/27/15 purchased the 38.8 acres from Oklahoma County.
    Does that have any meaning as to if Gardner Tanenbaum will be involved again?

13. Default Re: Boeing

Quote Originally Posted by Bellaboo View Post
    Big news in this story - 'In addition, Boeing Global Services & Support unit President Leanne Caret says the headquarters of its Aircraft Modernization and Sustainment division will relocate to Oklahoma City during the next few months.'
    I logged in just to emphasize this point, OKC is now a HQ city for Boeing. This is BIG, BIG news considering how Boeing is structured. This means that all Aircraft Modernization programs would be controlled by BRASS that is located in OKC. There surely would be flights of those brass between OKC, Chicago, Saint Louis, and plant locations but the decisions will come from OKC. I see even more employees for OKC to come because of the HQ and Engineering divisions; hopefully TIK will see significant operations come online which would complete the 'value chain' if you will and result in a HUGE amount of blue collar high paying jobs.

Great, Great, news. For Boeing, OKC is now in the same class/thought as Chicago (Boeing World HQ), Seattle/Tukwila (Boeing Commercial HQ), and Saint Louis (Boeing Space and Defense HQ); with OKC (Boeing Aircraft Modernization/Sustainment HQ). Huge, Huge, News - so proud of OKC!
    Oklahoma City, the RENAISSANCE CITY!

So the two states Boeing is rapidly expanding in are South Carolina and Oklahoma both of which are right to work.....hmm weird.

15. Default Re: Boeing

Someone asked about Boeing Manufacturing facilities off the top of my head:

Puget Sound
    Everett - Commercial Airplanes Widebodies (747, 767, 777, 787)
    Renton - Commercial Airplanes Narrowbodies (737NG, 737MAX)
    Auburn - Commercial Airplanes Wing Fabrication
    Seattle (Boeing Field) - Commercial Airplanes Paint, Sales, All programs: Modification, Rework. Everett also has Paint for the widebodies and I believe Charleston does also. Former World HQ. Current Commercial HQ in suburb Tukwila.

Long Beach - Military Division (Widebodies). Former McDonnell Douglass Commercial (MD-11/DC-10, Boeing 717/MD-95, MD-80/90)

Saint Louis - Military Division (Fighter and Attack aircraft). Defense and Space HQ. Shared Services HQ (although they may have moved to Renton since I was last there).

Huntsville, AL - Military and Space Division (anything space and electronics). Used to be Space HQ.

Charleston - Commercial Airplanes Widebodies (787)

These are what I'd classify as major Boeing facilities domestically where products are manufactured/assembled, more or less in order of importance/size. Puget Sound is still by far the biggest facility but there's many locations here and each has a specialty more or less.

There are many subcomponent and M&O facilities around the country; Wichita used to house both operations (Commercial Subcomponent mfg off, M&O for military) was probably the biggest facility that wasn't a final production line.

Chicago is the World Headquarters with all of the Boeing Brass and their support teams making up the Corporate Office. HQ cities also have Boeing Brass for that division and associated support and engineering teams. This is where OKC joins the club since there will be a Corporate Office (CEO, COO, CFO, etc) and support teams for Aircraft Modernization based here. Everybody reports to Chicago, but you run your operation pretty much as you see fit based on the Initiatives/Targets/Contracts secured by Chicago. HUGE NEWS for OKC!
    Oklahoma City, the RENAISSANCE CITY!

Quote Originally Posted by HOT ROD View Post
    I logged in just to emphasize this point, OKC is now a HQ city for Boeing. This is BIG, BIG news considering how Boeing is structured.
    Yes, this ought to be big news when you see what OK and OKC gave them.
    $43,800,000 in 21st Century Quality Jobs Program
    $11,000,000 given to them also for job creation incentives.
    $2,000,000 given to them from the Quick Action Closing Fund.
    $6,000,000 given to them from OKC for job creation incentives that they received earlier this year.
    $62,800,000 total given to Boeing for the creation of 459 jobs now (im assuming now) and 369 jobs over next 10 years. All this comes out to $75,845 per job.

Helluva deal for Boeing. No real way of knowing if its a helluva deal for Oklahoma since we dont study or review these incentives.

Quote Originally Posted by gopokes88 View Post
    So the two states Boeing is rapidly expanding in are South Carolina and Oklahoma both of which are right to work.....hmm weird.
    See above and you might have a more accurate answer on why they picked Oklahoma. Who cares about right to work if you are given $62 MILLION!

Quote Originally Posted by mkjeeves View Post
    Does that have any meaning as to if Gardner Tanenbaum will be involved again?
    I wondered the same. Because why would they need so much money from Oklahoma if they arent even building and owning their own Oklahoma headquarters.

In the site plan above, note "future parking garage" which indicates they plan to build on some of those parking lots then add structured parking.

This has turned into a massive economic boost for OKC and keeps getting better.

18. Default Re: Boeing

Its acost, no doubt, but at $ 90k/yr on average for many years ( hopefully) thats a lot of income tax, sales tax, property tax, houses, large appliances and general spending that would not have been done otherwise. Its an investment in the future.

Indeed that's a lot of money for a corporate HQ. In the long run though it could be worth a lot more than that. I'd guess that it is.

Quote Originally Posted by onthestrip View Post
    Yes, this ought to be big news when you see what OK and OKC gave them.
    $43,800,000 in 21st Century Quality Jobs Program
    $11,000,000 given to them also for job creation incentives.
    $2,000,000 given to them from the Quick Action Closing Fund.
    $6,000,000 given to them from OKC for job creation incentives that they received earlier this year.
    $62,800,000 total given to Boeing for the creation of 459 jobs now (im assuming now) and 369 jobs over next 10 years. All this comes out to $75,845 per job.

Helluva deal for Boeing. No real way of knowing if its a helluva deal for Oklahoma since we dont study or review these incentives.

See above and you might have a more accurate answer on why they picked Oklahoma. Who cares about right to work if you are given $62 MILLION!

I wondered the same. Because why would they need so much money from Oklahoma if they arent even building and owning their own Oklahoma headquarters.
    We would have been completely passed over if we were not right to work. But you can keep thinking it wasn't a factor at all while just about every new major manufacturing operation goes to right to work states. And 62,000,000 is going to wind up being pennies in the long run as we become a big city for Boeing.

Don't forgot the sheer amount of new business that will pop up to help support Boeing's HQ.

Quote Originally Posted by gopokes88 View Post
    We would have been completely passed over if we were not right to work. But you can keep thinking it wasn't a factor at all while just about every new major manufacturing operation goes to right to work states. And 62,000,000 is going to wind up being pennies in the long run as we become a big city for Boeing.
    B.S. Tinker is the reason Boeing relocated here. Now if you can show me how the manufacturing base increased since 2001 I might be persuaded. I would also like to see how RTW has impacted wages.
    Go on up to Stillwater and ask the former employees of Mercury Marine if RTW prevented their jobs from going to non RTW Wisconsin a few years back.

Quote Originally Posted by Jersey Boss View Post
    B.S. Tinker is the reason Boeing relocated here. Now if you can show me how the manufacturing base increased since 2001 I might be persuaded. I would also like to see how RTW has impacted wages.
    Go on up to Stillwater and ask the former employees of Mercury Marine if RTW prevented their jobs from going to non RTW Wisconsin a few years back.
    Jersey Boss,
    Not to get into the RTW thing, Wisconsin is the home of Mercury Marine. That might have had a little bit to do with the move/consolidation.
    C. T.

24. Default Re: Boeing

Boeing has not had a lot of fun with the unions in WA and CA. They have definitely moved certain work out of those states to states with less union influence and lower costs. Sorry Jersey Boss but whether they came out and said it or not, the work they do at Tinker plus lack of unions and RTW was very possibly key. To compete with foreign builders who are also lower cost, Boeing cant take those high labor costs and compete with firms already there - plus the Chinese in the near future.

Thread Information