Widgets Magazine
Page 2 of 25 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Boeing

Default Re: ~500 new jobs in OKC thanks to Boeing

Frontier merged with Republic out of Indy earlier this year. I haven't heard of Qwest relocating.

We are considering whether to move to Denver or stay in Austin again, mainly to get away from the heat/humidity....we are just tired of it.

So are they building new facilities or just cramming into the old ones?

Frontier was bought by Republic, Midwest was bought by Republic. Frontier and Midwest are merging and moving their offices to Indy.

Maintenance did move out of DEN to Milwaukee. The city of Denver did place a tax on aircraft delivered to Denver, though. Since most planes straight from delivery go to a maintenance shop, they usually went to Frontier's Denver Maintenance base.

Now if only these engineers will want to move downtown, possibly take up some empty buildings in The Hill. That would be awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by soonerfan_in_okc View Post
    Now if only these engineers will want to move downtown, possibly take up some empty buildings in The Hill. That would be awesome.
    Downtown is actually a great location for jobs at Tinker. EASY 10 minute commute.

6. Default Re: ~500 new jobs in OKC thanks to Boeing

Quote Originally Posted by progressiveboy View Post
    Clarification, this is just jobs at an airplane factory.
    They aren't factory jobs. They are engineers and researchers.
    Don't Edmond My Downtown

Boeing 200,000 SF office building near Tinker....

8. Default Re: ~500 new jobs in OKC thanks to Boeing

Is that a rendering?
    Don't Edmond My Downtown

9. Default Re: ~500 new jobs in OKC thanks to Boeing

Just south of Tinker's Air Depot gate.

That building has been there for about four years at SE 59th and Air Depot between Tinker and I-240. I have been in it many times.

My experience is that the engineers like to actually be near the planes, including the guys that work on them. That is one thing I love about engineers.

Quote Originally Posted by bluedogok View Post
    Frontier merged with Republic out of Indy earlier this year. I haven't heard of Qwest relocating.

We are considering whether to move to Denver or stay in Austin again, mainly to get away from the heat/humidity....we are just tired of it.
    Qwest moved its HQ from Denver to Monroe, LA after a merger.

And about Denver, I struggle with the same decision each summer. I used to live there and the summers are very nice compared to Oklahoma/Texas.

13. Default Re: ~500 new jobs in OKC thanks to Boeing

Yeah there's no reason for them to move downtown. That's too far away compared to being right off the runway where the new facility is. Sorry folks.

But, The old office space in the MWC area that Boeing had is still available...ie 29th and Sooner. Lockheed, Northrup, Pratt and Whitney, etc....they all still have offices in the area. When Boeing built the new facility, they freed up a lot of space in those areas. Plus, there's still an entire pad side open for another building should they chose to build.

Otherwise, there's actually plenty room over by the new Boeing building as well.
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/43309757@N05/4856952802/

Also, anyone know how to get a Flickr url for the image and not the page? It's annoying having to use the URL....

MadMonk Guest

Like this?

Right-click the image on Flickr and choose Copy Image Location (Firefox) or for IE choose Properties and then copy the URL. Come back here and choose the "Insert Image" button on the toolbar above the post and put the URL in there.

Quote Originally Posted by bombermwc View Post
    Yeah there's no reason for them to move downtown. That's too far away compared to being right off the runway where the new facility is. Sorry folks.
    I think the comment was directed at them living downtown, not working downtown.

Quote Originally Posted by bombermwc View Post

But, The old office space in the MWC area that Boeing had is still available...ie 29th and Sooner. Lockheed, Northrup, Pratt and Whitney, etc....they all still have offices in the area. When Boeing built the new facility, they freed up a lot of space in those areas. Plus, there's still an entire pad side open for another building should they chose to build.

Otherwise, there's actually plenty room over by the new Boeing building as well.
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/43309757@N05/4856952802/

Also, anyone know how to get a Flickr url for the image and not the page? It's annoying having to use the URL....
    Reread the posters comment, it was about them living downtown, not moving the Boeing facility downtown. He said he hoped the engineers would gobble up some of the vacant downtown units for sale.

I don't know if they would move right in to downtown. After them living in California and paying 250,000 for a shack 10 miles from the beach and no yard, I bet they will all move to the suburbs and pay 300,000 for a nice big house with a big yard.

Not necessarily. Some are used to the urban lifestyle and want to keep it. Plenty of Tinker folks living downtown. Also, especially if they continue to develop that rail line from Tinker to Downtown it would make it even more desirable.

paying 250,000 for a shack 10 miles from the beach and no yard
    It would be at least $500K for a crappy place in that area.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete Brzycki View Post
    It would be at least $500K for a crappy place in that area.
    Yup.

When a former neighbor of mine retired from a job in California (a loong time ago, before all the financial meltdowns), he sold his house out there and moved here to be close to one of his kids. He told me that his daughter faxed him photos of homes near where she lived in SW OKC, and he thought the fax machine had literally cut off one of the zeroes from the price listings. When she told him, "no, dad, that's how much these houses cost out here," he bought a place based solely on the picture and pocketed an astonishing amount of change from the sale of the California home.

After he'd been here a year or so, he'd tell me how Oklahoma was an "awesome" place to live and how it was one of the "best kept secrets anywhere." He loved the people, the cost of living, everything. We moved to a different neighborhood a few years later, but I visit that area frequently and he's still there, over a decade later...

The point in all that is that someone with appreciable equity in a California home and able to sell it for what might be termed the "going" rates there could become a relatively very wealthy individual in this part of the country...

Quote Originally Posted by SoonerDave View Post
    The point in all that is that someone with appreciable equity in a California home and able to sell it for what might be termed the "going" rates there could become a relatively very wealthy individual in this part of the country...
    There is the problem. Unless these people have been paying on their home for 15 years they aren't going anywhere. I have friends in California that would love to move but unless they want to keep making loan payments on a home they no longer live in they can't do it. California is a slow motion train wreck in progress.

Quote Originally Posted by metro View Post
    Reread the posters comment, it was about them living downtown, not moving the Boeing facility downtown. He said he hoped the engineers would gobble up some of the vacant downtown units for sale.
    Well, I can see that. Maybe some will. Most engineers I know of, however, are way too practical to want to spend more for less and if they have families, they tend to be pretty traditional and want a little room and good schools.

Quote Originally Posted by PennyQuilts View Post
    Well, I can see that. Maybe some will. Most engineers I know of, however, are way too practical to want to spend more for less and if they have families, they tend to be pretty traditional and want a little room and good schools.
    These people were working in Long Beach - 'practical' left the building a long time ago.

I did find this postcard interesting. Look familiar?

This should be good news to see some of the aircraft industry wanting to come back here. With TAFB acquisition of the old GM plant, I hope we see some more expansion in the future.

Quote Originally Posted by BG918 View Post
    So will the facility be at Tinker or WRWA?
    Edit: Already answered up there ^

Thread Information