Widgets Magazine
Page 10 of 25 FirstFirst ... 56789101112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: Boeing

Default Re: ~ 800 new jobs in OKC thanks to Boeing

with all these jobs coming to this area and not to mention the jobs already at Tinker,will we eventualy see that rail line from dt to MWC/TAFB?That would have some high ridership!

isn't Oklahoma Tower for sale?
    Yes, but it's almost fully leased.

No company that would want a bunch of space would buy it and wait until the multitude of leases started to expire. If it sells, it will be to an investor.

Isn't Devon renting out a bunch of room in the Chase building? How much is that going to open up?

Quote Originally Posted by dmoor82 View Post
    Just think what economic oppurtunity OKC lost to Indianapolis in the 90's!I cant wait till we see a HUGE relocation,not that this isnt big!
    OKC dodged a huge bullet when United selected Indy. That maintenance center closed not long after it opened and left Indy with a $540 million bill.

http://www.usatoday.com/travel/news/...-15-united.htm

Near Indianapolis Airport, a once-bustling United Airlines facility soon will be a 1.7 million-square-foot white elephant.

The Indianapolis Maintenance Center was the crown jewel of United Airlines' respected maintenance program: a 24-hour, state-of-the-art facility for complex "heavy" maintenance on single-aisle Boeing and Airbus jets. In its heyday in the late '90s, the center employed almost 3,000 people. It was a source of civic pride for Indianapolis, which outbid nearly 100 cities to get the 7,500 high-paying jobs that United promised would be there by 2004. Indianapolis and Indiana shouldered most of the $540 million project cost.

Now, with United parent UAL in bankruptcy court and the nation at war, city and state officials in Indianapolis are learning how high a price communities can pay when big companies they woo run aground.

United has announced it is closing the center for a few months to cut costs, but the closure could well be permanent.
    http://www.nytimes.com/2003/11/10/bu...ted=all&src=pm

That is what happened. United Airlines got $320 million in taxpayer money to build what is by all accounts the most technologically advanced aircraft maintenance center in America. But six months ago, the company walked away, leaving the city and state governments out all that money, and no new tenant in sight.

^^Well,nevermind.I'm glad they didnt choose OKC!

Just think what economic oppurtunity OKC lost to Indianapolis in the 90's!I cant wait till we see a HUGE relocation,not that this isnt big!
    In addition to Pete's comments, without losing to Indianapolis the original MAPS probably would not have happened and that has had a much larger impact on OKC's economy, quality of life and future development than if the United work would have (even if it was not a failure like five years after it opened).

I would LOVE to know what your hearing about something larger later this year!
    I know people hate teases (and so do I), but since I can't say any specifics for obvious reasons, I'll just say this: Many of you probably remember reading an article in the Oklahoman sometime last year about the governor and the Chamber working together to convince businesses to move jobs to Oklahoma. Boeing was a target and this is a direct result of their efforts.

Interestingly, also mentioned in that same article was that the Chamber was attempting to convince a major corporation to relocate their headquarters to Oklahoma City. I believe their efforts have a very strong chance of bearing some very good fruit. If the efforts on one of their targets is successful, people will be stunned and the reaction to this Boeing announcement will seem like small beans.

It wouldn't surprise me if another tower was needed downtown.

8. Default Re: ~ 800 new jobs in OKC thanks to Boeing

Kansas City Star's editorial on the move: http://www.kansascity.com/2012/01/04...on-boeing.html

Boeing officially broke its promise to Kansans Wednesday, announcing that it will end 84 years of history in the state after 2013.Beyond the loss of 2,160 good jobs and $1.5 billion a decade in lost wages, this announcement is a betrayal.Boeing is now sitting on one very rich U.S. Air Force contract. The company is getting $35 billion to build refueling tanker planes. But it only nailed the contract 11 months ago, on the third try, after that contract initially had been awarded to rivals including the European giant EADS in 2008.How did it get that contract? There were many factors, but a substantial one was that the Kansas congressional delegation fought for Boeing, and fought hard.

In fact, the help was so well thought of that a year ago, Boeing played up the notion — even promised — that the contract would include a Wichita component, one leading to 7,500 local jobs in all, many at Boeing and others at local suppliers.So what does Wednesday’s announcement mean? Make no mistake, the Kansas congressional delegation, led by Sen. Pat Roberts and then-senator and now Gov. Sam Brownback, got played. With this experience, Kansas’ pro-business politicians better have learned that the respect given to companies has to be a two-way street if those who elected them are to see any benefit. Even if the company is to be believed, the ink on its tanker contract had barely dried when company officials thought it was time to study the economic viability of their Wichita operation. Given the slow motion reactions of all companies the size of Boeing, it seems highly unlikely that the study it reportedly started in November was more than confirmation of a decision made long ago, but not announced until after elected Kansans went to the mat to reopen a contract that had been awarded to Boeing’s prime competitor. It now seems clear the company never had any real intention of beefing up the Wichita operation.
    It's hard, if not impossible, to argue with what the editorial says. Of course, if Boeing had made its decision to close the Wichita plant during the time that Kansan representatives were lobbying for Boeing, that really does stink.

But, as said by others, if they are going to move/close, I'm glad that the city is getting a good share of those affected.

But, it's also good to remember that, down the line, Oklahoma City could be in for the same treatment.

Quote Originally Posted by king183 View Post
    I know people hate teases (and so do I), but since I can't say any specifics for obvious reasons, I'll just say this: Many of you probably remember reading an article in the Oklahoman sometime last year about the governor and the Chamber working together to convince businesses to move jobs to Oklahoma. Boeing was a target and this is a direct result of their efforts.

Interestingly, also mentioned in that same article was that the Chamber was attempting to convince a major corporation to relocate their headquarters to Oklahoma City. I believe their efforts have a very strong chance of bearing some very good fruit. If the efforts on one of their targets is successful, people will be stunned and the reaction to this Boeing announcement will seem like small beans.

It wouldn't surprise me if another tower was needed downtown.
    You just took a big tease and made it worse...

Thanks...

Article by Steve says up to 1,000. 100 or so from Wash. and 8-900 from Wichita.

Good move for us. I hope it doesn't hurt the Wichita economy too much, I hope some good news is coming there way soon.

I just moved to Wichita from downtown OKC last summer because of a job opportunity. OKC still feels more like home because I'm constantly travelling to Oklahoma and Texas on weekends and breaks... but this just breaks my heart. I feel much sadder for Wichita than happy for OKC. You can just tell from living there that this is really going to hurt the town.

Wichita is not that far from Oklahoma City, so hopefully it won't be a major transition for families. Times change, things change, its how you deal with the change that counts.

Quote Originally Posted by G.Walker View Post
    Wichita is not that far from Oklahoma City, so hopefully it won't be a major transition for families. Times change, things change, its how you deal with the change that counts.
    A lot of people from Wichita might look forward to the move.........even though 'change' at times is tough.

Yes I imagine a good number of Wichita employees will be fine with the move. I have a few friends in Wichita and they consider OKC like we consider Dallas. That is, a larger metro for weekend getaways, or even to use our airport. The ones who enjoy visiting OKC will probably enjoy living here. I wish all of them good luck and hope this transition is smooth for the employees and the city of Wichita.

Shouldn't the NLRB be blocking this outrage?

16. Default Re: ~ 800 new jobs in OKC thanks to Boeing

is the boeing plant by tinker actually in OKC? Or is it in MWC/Del city? Just curious.

Quote Originally Posted by soonerfan_in_okc View Post
    is the boeing plant by tinker actually in OKC? Or is it in MWC/Del city? Just curious.
    It's in OKC, as is Tinker AFB.

Quote Originally Posted by Sheetkeecker View Post
    Shouldn't the NLRB be blocking this outrage?
    Could the NLRB actually block the move ?

I had a route in Hutchinson,KS today and this was all that was on the radio and being talked about by the locals.One morning radio dj said "Oklahoma City,who the hell wants to live there?"I had to laugh about someone from Wichita raggin' on OKC,but you can understand their frustration!

I had a route in Hutchinson,KS today and this was all that was on the radio and being talked about by the locals.One morning radio dj said "Oklahoma City,who the hell wants to live there?"I had to laugh about someone from Wichita raggin' on OKC,but you can understand their frustration!
    Funny this is that that guy probably comes to Oklahoma City every other weekend. But you Definately have to feel for Wichita and how long Boeing has been there to just pack up and move to two larger cities out of nowhere. Wish the best for them and their future; I hope they get another large business that invests in Wichita the way Boeing did.

Growing up I had thought it was odd that Midwest City was east of OKC. I had never heard it was named for the base, at the time Midwest Air Depot.

So basicall Boeing is outsourcing to take advantage of cheap 3rd world labor.

Quote Originally Posted by Edgar View Post
    So basicall Boeing is outsourcing to take advantage of cheap 3rd world labor.
    It sounded more like they were bringing most of their labor with them.

Thread Information