Widgets Magazine
Page 9 of 18 FirstFirst ... 4567891011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: Oklahoma Commercial Air Service Discussion 2012

Default Re: Oklahoma Commercial Air Service Discussion 2012

Sorry, but most of those are not much in the way of a sale. Not terrible but no bargains.

Quote Originally Posted by venture79 View Post
    I would think most would stay intact. DFW is an obvious one. ORD should remain pretty strong as well. MIA is a good gateway to the south. PHL is a very good network hub to bridge to Europe that would compliment the JFK/LGA operation that is mostly O&D. The DCA hub (which it pretty much is) is an amazing asset to have. PHX is a tough one though. A lot of temptation to just dump it or shrink it down and shift more flying to LAX. CLT is an exceptional network hub and the largest for US Airways. It is the only real competitor to ATL in the Southeast.
    I didn't think about them possibly downgrading PHX in favor of LAX. I know United and Delta already have significant operations at LAX but so does American. All of the others seem to be natural hubs for their respective regions: DFW (central/Mexico), ORD (midwest), PHL (northeast), DCA (mid-atlantic), CLT (southeast) and MIA (Florida/Caribbean/Latin America).

If that happens I could see flights added from OKC to Charlotte which would be a nice connection to the southeast/east coast, plus an alternate to ATL.

HangryHippo Guest

A connection to Charlotte would be very nice. I wouldn't mind seeing US Airways return and add service to Boston or Philadelphia. But there I go day dreaming again.

4. Default Re: Oklahoma Commercial Air Service Discussion 2012

Quote Originally Posted by OnlyOne View Post
    A connection to Charlotte would be very nice. I wouldn't mind seeing US Airways return and add service to Boston or Philadelphia. But there I go day dreaming again.
    US Airways isn't as massive in BOS as they use to be. Though a nonstop to PHL and CLT would be great for eastern US connections.

I've been hearing AA may also be interested in a merger with Frontier or jetBlue, which would be interesting. Frontier adds Denver and jetBlue adds NYC, and to a lesser extent Long Beach and Boston. AA doesn't gain as much with those mergers.

6. Default Re: Oklahoma Commercial Air Service Discussion 2012

Quote Originally Posted by BG918 View Post
    I've been hearing AA may also be interested in a merger with Frontier or jetBlue, which would be interesting. Frontier adds Denver and jetBlue adds NYC, and to a lesser extent Long Beach and Boston. AA doesn't gain as much with those mergers.
    http://finance.yahoo.com/news/americ...003453922.html

A source familiar with the situation said AMR sees itself as an acquirer in potential mergers and at least five airlines -- US Airways Group Inc (LCC), JetBlue Airways Corp (JBLU), Alaska Air Group (ALK), Republic Airways' (RJET) Frontier Airlines, and Virgin America -- will be considered.
    They are just tossing names out there in my opinion.

US Airways is the most likely followed by JetBlue. They have been growing their relationship pretty strong over the last couple of years. A merger has been rumored for awhile.

Alaska always comes up in these, but doesn't really want to deal with merging with anyone. They do their thing out west and are damn good at it. I believe they are now the #1 carrier from the mainland to Hawai'i.

Frontier brings nothing to AA. They are more likely to be merged into Spirit from what I've heard.

Virgin America again really doesn't bring anything to AA. It would mostly be eliminating a competitor and that's it.

AA/jetBlue would be an interesting merger and could help solidify AA's domestic positions at New York JFK and Boston and potentially give them additional trans-Atlantic routes from those cities. They would have Long Beach which doesn't offer a lot of room for growth due to their noise and number of flight restrictions, but they also would have LAX. Fort Lauderdale and Orlando would likely be downgraded as hubs in favor of AA's existing hub in Miami, although there could still be a number of flights to those cities. AA keeps and strengthens its primary hubs at DFW and ORD. With NYC, LA, Chicago and DFW, AA would have hubs in the 4 largest metros in the US..

Though I agree the AA/USAir merger makes more sense..

8. Default Re: Oklahoma Commercial Air Service Discussion 2012

The one thing that has to give soon is a new crop of start ups. California Pacific is one but would expect a few more. I have an idea in my back pocket but just need about 250 million friends with a dollar to share.

File this under the "many probably won't care" section..but, the aviation nerd in me is stoked to see that there could be a new passenger airplane landing at Will Rogers (or Tulsa ) . Skywest has an agreement to purchase 100 Mitsubishi Regional jets. Not sure who Skywest will be flying for in 2017... but, mark your calendars.

10. Default Re: Oklahoma Commercial Air Service Discussion 2012

Quote Originally Posted by damonsmuz View Post
    File this under the "many probably won't care" section..but, the aviation nerd in me is stoked to see that there could be a new passenger airplane landing at Will Rogers (or Tulsa ) . Skywest has an agreement to purchase 100 Mitsubishi Regional jets. Not sure who Skywest will be flying for in 2017... but, mark your calendars.
    I was pretty shocked by this, but also excited to see US carriers continue to break away from the traditional suppliers (Boeing, Airbus, Embraer, Bombardier, and ATR).

Trans States made the initial US order for these awhile back, but Skywest seems to be a more stable customer.

HangryHippo Guest

This image reminds me of the Embraer E series of jets. Speaking of which, why don't we see more airlines replacing their cramped CRJs with the E jets? They are infinitely more comfortable, IMO.

12. Default Re: Oklahoma Commercial Air Service Discussion 2012

This image reminds me of the Embraer E series of jets. Speaking of which, why don't we see more airlines replacing their cramped CRJs with the E jets? They are infinitely more comfortable, IMO.
    Well first off the 50-seat jets, both ERJs and CRJs, are going away slowly but surely. Delta should be done with them before much longer.

As far as in the 70/90/100-seat market the CRJ-700/900 offer better economics than the Embraer 170/190 families. The biggest of which is acquisition cost. We will still see more Embraer EJets enter the market, but it'll be a healthy balance.

Honestly though, the 50/70 seat aircraft being used on sub 500 mile routes really should be getting replaced with The Dash 8 Q400 and ATR 42/72-600s. Much better economics, with similar travel speeds/times, and the ability to carry more passengers typically.

HangryHippo Guest

I'm thrilled that Delta will be moving away from them, but it's just a shame that they're retaining the CRJ-700/900s. Those seem every bit as cramped as the smaller versions.

I've never flown on the Dash or ATR. Do they compare favorably to the E170/190s in cabin comfort?

OnlyOne: When I was in AVL, we had a plethora of the older Dash's and ATR's (Dash from USAirway Commuter and ATR's from ASA.). I found the ATR's to be far roomier inside, almost felt like a mainline cabin.. I said almost. But, they were old and so with time they were showing their age. The last time I flew on an E-Series jet was from DEN-DFW on Shuttle America and since it was brand new, it felt much nicer. I am sure had I been in an ATR that was brand new, I would have felt just as strongly about it too. So, to answer your question, the ATR is a good, beefy airplane which I really like..she was fun to fly...and board too.

ContiUnited did well placing the Dash on DFW-IAH ... works well for the route. Good for them...

15. Default Re: Oklahoma Commercial Air Service Discussion 2012

We had them on OKC-IAH as well, but I think the are gone now.

For those who aren't familiar...

The new ATR 600 series aircraft

Dash 8 Q400

Chicago-MDW on Southwest goes to 2 daily effective January 7, 2013. That was fast. Service has only been operating 5 weeks. Will bring Southwest to 23 peak weekday departures (not including the potential DCA flight, subject to approval)

17. Default Re: Oklahoma Commercial Air Service Discussion 2012

Quote Originally Posted by catch22 View Post
    Chicago-MDW on Southwest goes to 2 daily effective January 7, 2013. That was fast. Service has only been operating 5 weeks. Will bring Southwest to 23 peak weekday departures (not including the potential DCA flight, subject to approval)
    Flights haven't been extremely packed, but it does give better options now to the local O&D market. Should also permit much better connections through MDW as well now.

HangryHippo Guest

It's interesting that there STILL hasn't been a decision on the DCA application.

Venture, do you work at the airport?

19. Default Re: Oklahoma Commercial Air Service Discussion 2012

It's interesting that there STILL hasn't been a decision on the DCA application.

Venture, do you work at the airport?
    I think you'll understand when I decline to answer either way.

OKC has little to no political clout. Oklahoma is a back bench State/ This route will likely stay with USAIR. The economics are clear but we fail in the area of influence

As mentioned earlier, OKC-IAH Q400's are no more. Colgan shut their IAH base down and my wife and I were on the last Q400 out of OKC (on United at least) on July 5th on our way to SEA.

http://flightaware.com/live/flight/D...635Z/KPHX/KATL

DAL FLT 1646 diverted to OKC enroute to ATL lastnight..anyone know why?

23. Default Re: Oklahoma Commercial Air Service Discussion 2012

http://www.regulations.gov/#!documen...2000-7182-1911

DOT awarded the slots permanently to US Airways for service to Jackson, MS to DCA. So WN's bid has failed as many felt would happen.

Reading the comments by the DOT the main reason they went with JAN is the fact the route has been around for awhile and that it is the only nonstop service from JAN to the DC area. Also, WN's acquisition of other slots to DCA (the AUS service and through AirTran) will allow it access to DCA anyway. Also the fact that OKC already has nonstop service to IAD and BWI were a factor as well. So OKC will remain the largest city with in the DCA perimeter without nonstop service to that airport.

There will be one more pair going up for availability this Fall when Spirit gives them back for the current FLL-DCA service they are doing. Not sure we'll see WN bid for these, let alone pick OKC as the target market again.

Wow! this is a huge blow to OKC. Not really unexpected, but, to lose to a minor market like Jackson MS is discouraging. OKC and Oklahoma for that matter continue to suffer from a total lack of respect from movers and shakers in major markets. This is just plain bad, rationale is weak. Because it has been around for awhile? So why were the slots even being competed if they were profitable? Really sucks. As a Metro DC resident, this continues to make my home state one of the most difficult places to get to from the region

OKC remains a back bench city:
    D.C. flight now permanent
    US Airways had been offering stopgap service since March
    7:04 PM, Jul. 24, 2012 | Comments

A A Thompson
    Written by
    Jeff Ayres

What has been a good July at Jackson-Medgar Wiley Evers International Airport got even better Tuesday.

Just two weeks after landing a daily nonstop flight to Chicago, airport officials learned what had been a temporary US Airways daily flight from Jackson to Ronald Reagan Washington National Airport in Washington, D.C., will become permanent.

"It's significant for us and for the business community to have that direct access," said Dirk Vanderleest, CEO of the Jackson Municipal Airport Authority, which operates Jackson-Medgar Wiley Evers International Airport and Hawkins Field.

U.S. Transportation Secretary Ray LaHood notified 2nd District U.S. Rep. Bennie Thompson Tuesday that the Jackson-to-D.C. flight would become permanent, according to a news release.

US Airways had been making the flight on a stopgap basis since March, replacing a daily flight Delta had offered since 2005.

Under Delta's agreement with the U.S. Department of Transportation, the airline couldn't sell or transfer the route if it stopped making the flight.

The federal government regained the route and then sought a new permanent carrier and/or destination.

"This flight will continue to benefit civic leaders, the business community, advocacy groups, schools and tourists throughout Central Mississippi," Thompson said in the release.

Duane O'Neill, president & CEO of the Greater Jackson Chamber Partnership, said in news release that nonstop service to the Reagan airport is " important to the economic future of our greater Jackson region.""This is a major victory considering our competition was Louisville, Kentucky and Oklahoma City."

U.S. Sen. Thad Cochran said the flight is important to the state as a whole. "Today's decision is good for passengers and for Mississippi as an economic development asset."

With Jackson at the heart of the state's government and business operations, it was essential to maintain a direct flight to Washington, D.C., so officials could easily interact with federal colleagues to "lobby for additional jobs and economic development," Vanderleest said.Average per-trip occupancy on US Airways has been 60 percent, he added, noting 45 percent typically is a minimum benchmark.

The airport earlier this month announced a daily United Airlines flight to Chicago's O'Hare International Airport. Those nonstop flights begin Nov. 4.

Thread Information