Widgets Magazine
Page 1 of 18 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Oklahoma Commercial Air Service Discussion 2012

1. Default Oklahoma Commercial Air Service Discussion 2012

Going to get this going to keep things organized into the New Year. A lot has happened over the last year and we look for a lot more coming up. I wanted to focus this thread on the commercial side of air service and open it up to all of Oklahoma. We aren't like most states that have several commercial airports - we have just a few.

Here is where we are starting 2012 with Commercial service in Oklahoma...

Oklahoma City (KOKC) - Will Rogers World Airport
    • Atlanta: Delta (2x M88, 1x CR9, 2x CR7)
    • Baltimore: Southwest (1x 73G)
    • Chicago Midway: Southwest (Starts June 3rd - 1x 733)
    • Chicago O'Hare: American (2x CR7, 2x ER4), United (4x CR7, 1x ER4)
    • Dallas/Fort Worth: American (7x M80)
    • Dallas Love: Southwest (3x 73G, 2x 733)
    • Denver: Frontier (2x 319), Southwest, United (1x 319, 3x ER4)
    • Detroit: Delta (2x CR7)
    • Houston Hobby: Southwest (4x 733)
    • Houston Bush Intercontinental: United (3x DH4, 6x ER4)
    • Kansas City: Southwest (1x 73G, 1x 733)
    • Las Vegas: Southwest (1x 73G, 1x 733)
    • Los Angeles: American (2x CR7) , United (1x CR7)
    • Memphis: Delta (3x CRJ)
    • Minneapolis/St. Paul: Delta (2x CRJ)
    • New York/Newark: United (1x ER4)
    • Phoenix: Southwest (2x 73G)
    • Salt Lake City: Delta (2x CR7)
    • San Francisco: United (1x CR7)
    • St. Louis: Southwest (1x 73G, 1x 733)
    • Washington Dulles: United (1x CR7)

Tulsa (KTUL) - Tulsa International
    • Atlanta: Delta (1x M88, 1x CR9, 3x CR7)
    • Chicago O'Hare: American (1x M80, 2x ER4, 1x ERD), United (1x CRJ, 4x ERD)
    • Dallas/Fort Worth: American (2x 757, 1x 738, 4x M80, 1x ERD)
    • Dallas Love: Southwest (2x 73G, 3x 733, 1x 735)
    • Denver: Southwest (2x 73G, 1x 733), United (1x 320, 1x 319, 1x CR7, 1x ER4)
    • Detroit: Delta (2x CR7)
    • Houston Hobby: Southwest (1x 73G, 2x 733)
    • Houston Intercontinental: United (1x 735, 2x DH4, 6x ERJ)
    • Las Vegas: Southwest (1x 73G)
    • Los Angeles: United (1x CR7)
    • Memphis: Delta (3x CRJ)
    • Minneapolis/St. Paul: Delta (2x CRJ)
    • New York/Newark: United (1x ERJ)
    • Phoenix: Southwest (2x 73G)
    • Salt Lake City: Delta (1x CR7)
    • St. Louis: Southwest (1x 73G, 1x 733)
    • Washington Dulles: United (1x CR7)

Lawton (KLAW) - Lawton/Ft. Sill Regional Airport
    • Dallas/Fort Worth: American (5x AT7)

Other Oklahoma Airports that use to have recent commercial airline service:

Default Re: Oklahoma Commercial Air Service Discussion 2012

Quote Originally Posted by venture79 View Post
    Other Oklahoma Airports that use to have recent commercial airline service:
    Ponca City also had commercial airline service. It ended at the same time that Enid lost their service.

3. Default Re: Oklahoma Commercial Air Service Discussion 2012

Quote Originally Posted by ljbab728 View Post
    Ponca City also had commercial airline service. It ended at the same time that Enid lost their service.
    Got it added, forgot about them. Might want to edit your post since the quote is huge. LOL

Anyone know how full the 757'S usually are on DFW-TUL ?

Quote Originally Posted by damonsmuz View Post
    Anyone know how full the 757'S usually are on DFW-TUL ?
    I don't have the answer to your question, but that really jumped out at me. How can Tulsa have enough traffic to DFW to justify two 757s per day, but not OKC?

Quote Originally Posted by BB37 View Post
    I don't have the answer to your question, but that really jumped out at me. How can Tulsa have enough traffic to DFW to justify two 757s per day, but not OKC?
    Someone with knowledge can probably confirm this but my guess is that they funnel the 757s to TUL for aircraft maintenance at the AA maintenance base.

Tulsa does maintenance for AA which justifies the reason for the larger aircraft into Tulsa. I once flew from ORD-DFW via TUL solely for the reason that there were a ton of seats available on that route and none available direct from ORD-DFW. FYI, if you ever get stuck in ORD and need to go to DFW and seats are sold out, request that they send you through Tulsa, you'd be amazed how much faster it is.

I know the Frontier flights that I took from Denver to OKC and back over Christmas were very full. It was the first time that I have flown into Will Rogers since the remodel and I even worked a little bit on that project. They did very nice job on it, so much better than the old terminal. I am sure we will be flying to OKC more since we will both be in Denver full time in February, it just didn't make much sense flying from Austin to OKC since there was no direct flight and there are several from DIA.

I know we've talked about this in the past, but the ball is rolling here. USAir is starting service from Charlotte to Des Moines and Omaha. With USAir breaking back into the Central Plains, any rumor of them coming to Oklahoma within the year?

10. Default Re: Oklahoma Commercial Air Service Discussion 2012

What no service between Tulsa and OKC? LOL....

Bomber: Here's your OKC-TUL service http://flightaware.com/live/flight/FDX347

OK, so you may have to pack yourself up in a FEDEX box and be shipped, but it still counts right FYI, I hear the in-flight entertainment on this leg is not the best... nor are the free drinks

12. Default Re: Oklahoma Commercial Air Service Discussion 2012

Quote Originally Posted by damonsmuz View Post
    I know we've talked about this in the past, but the ball is rolling here. USAir is starting service from Charlotte to Des Moines and Omaha. With USAir breaking back into the Central Plains, any rumor of them coming to Oklahoma within the year?
    The Des Moines and Omaha service is a little misleading. First they are both already served by US Airways to PHX & LAS. Due to the LGA/DCA slot swap with Delta, they are taking over DCA (Washington National) to both OMA and DSM. To make things make a bit more sense, they are adding in flights to a traditional hub - their strongest - in CLT. So this really doesn't have anything to do with a new initiative to get back into the Midwest and Plains more so replacing Delta and connecting dots.

I'm still hearing 2013 before they make a large push back into the Midwest/Great Lakes/Plains, but that could be up in the air should they pursue to purchase American.

13. Default Re: Oklahoma Commercial Air Service Discussion 2012

Quote Originally Posted by bombermwc View Post
    What no service between Tulsa and OKC? LOL....
    Careful, Delta use to operate it daily and then Great Plains did it as well. :-)

AA runs a seasonal 737 TUL-MIA route from Nov to Apr:

http://www.aa.com/i18n/aboutUs/newSe...false&from=Nav

Think there will be an increase in Seattle-OKC traffic with today's Boeing announcement?

Quote Originally Posted by poe View Post
    Think there will be an increase in Seattle-OKC traffic with today's Boeing announcement?
    I would expect a larger increase in trips to San Antonio than Seattle, since that is where the majority of work for the projects they are associated with is being done, though it will still be fairly small compared to general traffic.

17. Default Re: Oklahoma Commercial Air Service Discussion 2012

Quote Originally Posted by poe View Post
    I would hope, but I don't think these jobs will drive much to Seattle. Boeing HQ is in Chicago now, but like Snowman said...SAT has a bigger tie to them. SAT traffic will be served via American and Southwest through Dallas. Boeing employed thousands in Wichita, on both commercial and military side, but nonstop service to Seattle failed there miserably. The OKC-SEA O&D market is pretty decent and I really think Alaska could make it work if they wanted to, especially with rotating aircraft here for maintenance. However, it will be hard for people to give up fly Southwest/United/Frontier through Denver which is just as easy.

Careful, Delta use to operate it daily and then Great Plains did it as well. :-)
    The Delta service was really just an afterthought with a plane operating between OKC, Tulsa, and Salt Lake. The service between OKC and Tulsa was never significant.

19. Default Re: Oklahoma Commercial Air Service Discussion 2012

Come on guys, i was just joking. Although i have been on Delta flights before that went from OKC to TUL on their way to other places.

20. Default Re: Oklahoma Commercial Air Service Discussion 2012

Quote Originally Posted by ljbab728 View Post
    The Delta service was really just an afterthought with a plane operating between OKC, Tulsa, and Salt Lake. The service between OKC and Tulsa was never significant.
    Yeah I'm aware of that. It was back when they use to do extensive tagging of flights. Up through the late 90s you could get on the same flight number that would make 5 stops until it go to its final destination.

Bomber, I know you were. :-) Not sure LJ picked up on it though. LOL

Quote Originally Posted by BB37 View Post
    757 load factors are typically in the low 70% range for Tulsa but aircraft assigned to the Tulsa-DFW route have far more to do with the logistics of routing aircraft out of the Tulsa maintenance facility than with demand characteristics of the route. As a result, overall load factors for TUL-DFW are usually 5-10 points lower than for OKC-DFW.

22. Default Re: Oklahoma Commercial Air Service Discussion 2012

I've flown between OKC and TUL back in '96 twice when I flew with my mom and sister connecting at ATL for overseas connections (both inbound and outbound). The plane was full both times, then again there were plenty of days for that leg to be half empty or very empty, but I thought I would make that observation. It was operated either with a 737-200 or 727-200 Advanced. The west-bound run used to be something like ATL-TUL-OKC-SLC-SJC, then the reverse route was the opposite of that. But back in the day Delta and many other airlines had more point-to-point flying, I remember American had a flight on OKC-DFW-BNA-TYS (BNA being Nashville Metro Int'l and TYS being Knoxville McGhee-Tyson Airport). Operated by the good ol' Fokker 100 (pronounced FOLK-er). Which I've had the pleasure of flying in btw.

The only airline that still has such multi-stop flights today is Southwest. Then again, Southwest's model is point-to-point, not hub and spoke, the airports where it has a dominance is simply because those are "major" points-where so many flights pass through that it gives the impression of being a hub.

As far as OKC though, I think 2012 will be a pretty good year for passenger traffic, barring any unforseen challenges of course. Nice to see two DL mainliners to anywhere :P.

23. Default Re: Oklahoma Commercial Air Service Discussion 2012

Quote Originally Posted by OUman View Post
    I've flown between OKC and TUL back in '96 twice when I flew with my mom and sister connecting at ATL for overseas connections (both inbound and outbound). The plane was full both times, then again there were plenty of days for that leg to be half empty or very empty, but I thought I would make that observation. It was operated either with a 737-200 or 727-200 Advanced. The west-bound run used to be something like ATL-TUL-OKC-SLC-SJC, then the reverse route was the opposite of that. But back in the day Delta and many other airlines had more point-to-point flying, I remember American had a flight on OKC-DFW-BNA-TYS (BNA being Nashville Metro Int'l and TYS being Knoxville McGhee-Tyson Airport). Operated by the good ol' Fokker 100 (pronounced FOLK-er). Which I've had the pleasure of flying in btw.
    I miss the F-100s. Remember those on US through the Northeast. Nice little jet that was super quiet. Yeah the Westbound flight normally was ATL-TUL-OKC-SLC, but I want to say sometimes they swapped the OKC and TUL stops around. Delta loved their single flight numbers spanning the country. There was an a.net thread about this a year or so ago and some of them were crazy. ATL to Bangor, ME in the 80s had 3 stops en route. One of the airports that was west of were I grew up had a flight that went something like TOL-ATL-BHM-SHV-DFW-SLC-RNO. Great for someone who loved the 727, but sucked if you wanted to get to Reno before dark. LOL

Quote Originally Posted by OUman View Post
    The only airline that still has such multi-stop flights today is Southwest. Then again, Southwest's model is point-to-point, not hub and spoke, the airports where it has a dominance is simply because those are "major" points-where so many flights pass through that it gives the impression of being a hub.

As far as OKC though, I think 2012 will be a pretty good year for passenger traffic, barring any unforseen challenges of course. Nice to see two DL mainliners to anywhere :P.
    Eh I think the notion of them not having a hub/spoke system is out the window now. They pretty much caved and called their main stations hubs now and do a good deal of connecting traffic. They still offer a lot of point-to-point O&D traffic, but not like they use to.

As far as 2012 outlook goes, we'll probably see decent growth around 3-5% for the year. Even with a US Airways take over of American, it shouldn't hurt us too much...probably the opposite.

Potential growth markets would be MDW - could go to 2 daily on Southwest and might see mainline return on the other guys to O'Hare Field. ATL we could see Southwest add in a couple of flights and add'l mainline from Delta to compete.

Potential lost markets...Denver could take a hit with the 3 way race to demolition there. Kansas City or St. Louis might lose a flight if Chicago does well.

New Entrants...eh, hard to say. JetBlue would be nice, but I think they are a long shot. Allegiant would be as well, but Florida from OKC is horrible and they won't bother going west from here. US Airways to CLT or PHL would be nice and should have happened a long time ago.

Bomber, I know you were. :-) Not sure LJ picked up on it though. LOL
    Yes, I understood that. My response was just for information purposes.

Grew up in Lawton so I keep up with the news that goes on down there and they are finally getting rid of the turboprops. http://www.kswo.com/story/16439925/a...o-get-new-jets

Thread Information