Widgets Magazine
Page 1 of 13 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: OKC Retail Update

Default OKC Retail Update

Looks promising for the Container Store coming to OKC:
    http://newsok.com/a-look-back-at-ret...rticle/3635663

Default Re: OKC Retail Update

I'm hoping for a Dick's Sporting Goods in 2012.

Well that's some good news.

I'd heard LuLu Lemon is coming for sure, but not sure about the reliability of my source. Where is Restoration Hardware????

H&M and Restoration Hardware would keep a good chunk of my retail expenditures here, instead of in KC or Tulsa.

Lululemon? Yes, please.

And, while you're at it, give me an Urban Outfitters, and I will be one happy girl.

Quote Originally Posted by Soonerman View Post
    I'm hoping for a Dick's Sporting Goods in 2012.
    I keep hearing this from people and I can't figure it out. They are crazy expensive, have a very limited selection, and don't offer brands that you can't find at any other sporting goods store. What is the attraction to them? I don't mind paying more if the item is higher quality or is a brand unavailable elseware - but they have the exact same stuff I can find at Academy Sports or Sports Authority for about 15% to 20% less.

Quote Originally Posted by Just the facts View Post
    I keep hearing this from people and I can't figure it out. They are crazy expensive, have a very limited selection, and don't offer brands that you can't find at any other sporting goods store. What is the attraction to them? I don't mind paying more if the item is higher quality or is a brand unavailable elseware - but they have the exact same stuff I can find at Academy Sports or Sports Authority for about 15% to 20% less.
    It's because they have the name dick in them.

Quote Originally Posted by MDot View Post
    It's because they have the name dick in them.
    That sounds about right. I'll admit that the comments I hear are not unique to OKCTalk. Dick's has a following, I just don't know why. I do know the physical stores themselves are a little unique. The store here in Jax is decorated in NE Florida related items.

It's because Dick's Sporting Goods at least has nicer stores than Academy, even if they sell the same stuff. I am personally still hoping for something more palpable like REI, but Dick's is a major move in the right direction. There's a store in the Midwest called Scheel's that would be my personal #1 preference.

I don't think it was in the article, but there will be a new American Eagle outlet at the outlet shoppes. It's taking over the temporary bookstore space (which is having an incredible 75% off sale right now) next door to the Polo outlet. I personally consider that store replacing a bookstore a huge loss, but I know many of you will consider it a gain, so take it for what it's worth.

Quote Originally Posted by JayhawkTransplant View Post
    And, while you're at it, give me an Urban Outfitters, and I will be one happy girl.
    That's coming. They're looking for a site.

So what are the odds that Whole Foods' pending second location (which apparently is a very real prospect) goes downtown?

I almost wish they would hold off a year or two so that it could be used as more leverage to get those liquor laws changed.

Quote Originally Posted by Spartan View Post
    I almost wish they would hold off a year or two so that it could be used as more leverage to get those liquor laws changed.
    It seems clear after the recent fiasco of a legislative study group that it will take far more than a WF to make even another dent in the current alcohol power structure, let alone any meaningful change. That's a very uphill, and very expensive, battle to wage. I seriously doubt the pro change side has enough coin to fund the changes they desire.

Well for one Academy could use the competition.

I keep hearing this from people and I can't figure it out. They are crazy expensive, have a very limited selection, and don't offer brands that you can't find at any other sporting goods store. What is the attraction to them?
    People here often don't care for local businesses, to the point where we use public assistance to bring in outside competition. Many have stated in this forum that having stores and restaurants in OKC that are exactly like stores they have seen in other markets gives them a sense of validation. We are a retail market that seems to value that unusual sense of validation more than keeping profits here or fostering more unique local shops by supporting them over outside corporate chains. I think it's just part of the culture here.

Kerry, when is the last time you've been to OKC or Academy? Academy is like Walmart and Dicks is like Target. Academy here is mostly hunting/fishing based and has off brands with exception of Nike and UnderArmor. Dicks carries NorthFace, Marmot, Columbia (a full line not just fishing shirts), etc. Dicks caters more towards the city crowd, urban sports, and hiking/trekking/skiing. That's nice for many of us who don't care to fish or hunt.

Quote Originally Posted by BDP View Post
    People here often don't care for local businesses, to the point where we use public assistance to bring in outside competition. Many have stated in this forum that having stores and restaurants in OKC that are exactly like stores they have seen in other markets gives them a sense of validation. We are a retail market that seems to value that unusual sense of validation more than keeping profits here or fostering more unique local shops by supporting them over outside corporate chains. I think it's just part of the culture here.
    Academy isn't local, it's a chain......

Quote Originally Posted by metro View Post
    Kerry, when is the last time you've been to OKC or Academy? Academy is like Walmart and Dicks is like Target. Academy here is mostly hunting/fishing based and has off brands with exception of Nike and UnderArmor. Dicks carries NorthFace, Marmot, Columbia (a full line not just fishing shirts), etc. Dicks caters more towards the city crowd, urban sports, and hiking/trekking/skiing. That's nice for many of us who don't care to fish or hunt.
    A friend of mine who is very active recently explained the different stores to me almost the same as you have here.

Quote Originally Posted by BDP View Post
    Well I can't speak for the whole city but in my case I tend to think that many of our local businesses often have horrible quality control issues and very limited supplies/choices. The average local business owner mindset is quite frustrating. I love Whole Foods and all the new stores because they offer products and allergen-free options that I literally cannot buy anywhere else. Why did it take them moving to town to push Homeland out of its circa 1992 shell? How come even though their stores are looking better now I still have to sort through eggs and milk for 10 minutes to find items that aren't a week out of date? Why is talking to a Homeland cashier so much more painful than at WF... Why is it every time I go to some popular locally owned restaraunt I always leave pissed off at the wait staff, underwhelmed at the food, and wondering about the kitchen cleanliness after seeing what the bathrooms look like? It's not that chains offer some sort of affirmation... For me it's that many of them comply with national standards (or franchise standards) for health and quality that far, far exceed the ancient standards we seem to just accept here. I'm not really into sporting goods places but I'd imagine it is for similar reasons of quality products, selection, etc.

Many of the places that are national chains that have been locating here have been franchises, and so really their ownership still is local. So we benefit from the quality of a national retailer but also keep the profits and jobs locally.

That's not to say that we don't have some great locally owned establishments here... We do... But good grief are they ever few and far between.

Quote Originally Posted by kevinpate View Post
    It seems clear after the recent fiasco of a legislative study group that it will take far more than a WF to make even another dent in the current alcohol power structure, let alone any meaningful change. That's a very uphill, and very expensive, battle to wage. I seriously doubt the pro change side has enough coin to fund the changes they desire.
    Don't be so sure. I have "inside" information on this. It's almost assuredly going to the vote of the people as a constitutional amendment. The Chamber of Commerce is going to put a lot of money into supporting the repeal. They'll have an excellent polling and consulting firm that is known for winning issues like this. Why will they put so much effort into repeal? Let's just say they have a lot riding on it. They are on the verge of scoring some huge success for Oklahoma and OKC, some of which we will hear about in the next year.

You're right, but the legislative study group wasn't even intended as a serious move. We're still going through the phase of symbolic gestures of change, and it will take more to get us into the phase of real change on that front. The legislative study group was deliberately set up for failure.

The idea that we're going to put the people who currently benefit from our screwed up liquor laws on a study group that will somehow create and implement real change was laughable.

Quote Originally Posted by Spartan View Post
    The idea that we're going to put the people who currently benefit from our screwed up liquor laws on a study group that will somehow create and implement real change was laughable.
    True that. Yet such a laughable move was in fact the strongest move in a while. That's why a WF,or even a handful of WF type businesses which may desire change won't get it. Wanting change isn't the key,no matter how sincere. Until a group can surpass, and demonstrate both an ability and a willingness to to continually surpass, the wholesale lobby effort, then at most any change will be in the nature of window dressing. I may be wrong, but I just don't think the folks who desire change desire it enough to cover the costs associated with the change they desire.
    Last edited by kevinpate; 12-31-2011 at 06:40 PM. Reason: typo

True that. Yet such a laughable move was in fact the strongest move in a while. That's why a WF,or even a handful of WF type businesses which may desire change won't get it. Wanting change isn't the key,no matter how sincere. Until a group can surpass, and demonstrate both an ability and a willingness to to continually surpass, the wholesale lobby effort, then at most any change will be in the nature of window dressing. I may be wrong, but I just don't think the folks who desire change desire it enough to cover the costs associated with the change the desire.
    What I want to know is who were the dopes that put the study group together?

Quote Originally Posted by Soonerman View Post
    What I want to know is who were the dopes that put the study group together?
    I don't recall specifically who in legislative leadership set it up, but most likely would be the combo of Speaker of House and Senate's Pres. Pro Tem, or perhaps their designated hitters. In short, a couple of folks with R after their names. Truthfully though, had the D's been in charge, I would have expected a similar non-result oriented dog and pony show. The modernize the booze group is a bit like the save Stage Center group. Both are dedicated. Both are sincere. Neither has the muscle or the bank account to make it happen.

Quote Originally Posted by Questor View Post
    Why is talking to a Homeland cashier so much more painful than at WF
    I don't know what Homeland you go to but at the one I frequent the cashiers are always exceptionally friendly and helpful.

Thread Information