Widgets Magazine
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 54
  1. #1

    NBA NBA Back to Seattle?

    Last edited by Pete; 03-19-2012 at 02:45 PM.

  2. #2

    Default Re: NBA Back to Seattle?

    I hope they get a team honestly.

  3. Default Re: NBA Back to Seattle?

    Whew, I'm the first to comment. Let me post something controversial before this discussion takes off.

    This is not good for Seattle to have if this ever succeed. If, by whatsoever unfortunate circumstance, that Seattle do somehow (and extremely mysteriously) get another NBA team, this can only be good for one thing...and only one. More like for whom...the location, specifically. As soon Seattle fail miserably on their faces with legs over their backs, the rescued team will relocate to Oklahoma. Yes, this is the ever-oh-so-famous state once took now-known-as-OKC Thunder from Seattle. Which city? Tulsa, of course. Neat, eh?

    We'll have to think of a name....something matching to OKC Thunder. Tulsa Bolts? Tulsa Quakers?

    Is there a state with two NBA teams?

  4. #4

    Default Re: NBA Back to Seattle?

    Thunder, the team being relocated here is in no small part due to the ownership group being entirely Oklahoma based bought the team like one year before it was moved. If Seattle does get a new arena their market is more financially viable than half of the current NBA teams. I disagree with the article in it is unlikely to see the Hornets moving as that would be a embarrassment to the NBA for abandoning it after a major disaster and the league chose to take over operations and keep the team their rather than work a deal with parties in other cities with interest in a team. The more likely candidates for moving seem to be Charlotte Bobcats, Sacramento Kings, Minnesota Timberwolves and depending on if having a deep playoff run helps attendance Memphis Grizzlies.

  5. #5

    Default Re: NBA Back to Seattle?

    Thunder doesn't see my comments so will someone tell him that yes, there are a few states with 2 NBA teams and Californa and Texas even have 3 teams.

    And Snowman, I think the best bet for a team relocating to Seattle would be the Sacramento Kings.

  6. #6

    Default Re: NBA Back to Seattle?

    Quote Originally Posted by MDot View Post
    Thunder doesn't see my comments so will someone tell him that yes, there are a few states with 2 NBA teams and Californa and Texas even have 3 teams.

    And Snowman, I think the best bet for a team relocating to Seattle would be the Sacramento Kings.
    With them almost leaving last year a definite possibility, in several cases an ownership change would be likely preceding a move so it just depends if a local or Seattle group makes a better offer and if the owner(s) is(are) willing to be known for losing the team.

  7. Default Re: NBA Back to Seattle?

    If their market is better than ours, they shouldn't have a problem in the first place. Yes, I know everything about our team. Just saying, Seattle has a huge potential to fail again and someone in Oklahoma can bring it to Tulsa.

  8. #8

    Default Re: NBA Back to Seattle?

    Seattle is a much better sports market than OKC, hence why they had 3 teams for the longest time. The reason the Sonics started to falter was largely because they began to stink and largely because the city had just funded major public projects for their other pro-sports teams, leaving the citizens burned out on subsidizing them. If the arena got built back then, the Thunder wouldn't exist today.

    When they were sold to Bennett and Co, it became the final nail in the coffin.

    And multiple states have more than one NBA team. California has 4 (Lakers, Clippers, Warriors and, for now, Kings). Texas has 3 (Mavs, Rockets, Spurs). Florida has 2 (Heat, Magic). New York is going to get two shortly with the Knicks being there and the Nets moving to Brooklyn.

  9. #9

    Default Re: NBA Back to Seattle?

    Quote Originally Posted by Hawk405359 View Post
    Seattle is a much better sports market than OKC, hence why they had 3 teams for the longest time. The reason the Sonics started to falter was largely because they began to stink and largely because the city had just funded major public projects for their other pro-sports teams, leaving the citizens burned out on subsidizing them. If the arena got built back then, the Thunder wouldn't exist today.

    When they were sold to Bennett and Co, it became the final nail in the coffin.

    And multiple states have more than one NBA team. California has 4 (Lakers, Clippers, Warriors and, for now, Kings). Texas has 3 (Mavs, Rockets, Spurs). Florida has 2 (Heat, Magic). New York is going to get two shortly with the Knicks being there and the Nets moving to Brooklyn.
    I totally forgot about the Warriors and that's odd because I like them. LOL

  10. #10

    Default Re: NBA Back to Seattle?

    To be fair, I think everyone forgets that the Warriors exist.

  11. Default Re: NBA Back to Seattle?

    I never knew of a Warriors team. They must've sucked big time. lol

  12. #12

    Default Re: NBA Back to Seattle?

    Quote Originally Posted by Hawk405359 View Post
    To be fair, I think everyone forgets that the Warriors exist.
    Point taken. LOL

  13. Default Re: NBA Back to Seattle?

    Quote Originally Posted by MDot View Post
    Thunder doesn't see my comments so will someone tell him that yes, there are a few states with 2 NBA teams and Californa and Texas even have 3 teams.

    And Snowman, I think the best bet for a team relocating to Seattle would be the Sacramento Kings.
    Actually, the New Orleans Hornets are the prime target, since they are owned by the NBA. Sacramento is owned by the Maloof brothers and their interest has been in the Anaheim area as far as relocation is concerned.

  14. #14

    Default Re: NBA Back to Seattle?

    Quote Originally Posted by Bellaboo View Post
    Actually, the New Orleans Hornets are the prime target, since they are owned by the NBA. Sacramento is owned by the Maloof brothers and their interest has been in the Anaheim area as far as relocation is concerned.
    I meant of the teams Snowman named off. I haven't really listened to the New Orleans situation lately so I really don't know where they stand as of now but I'll take your word for it.

  15. #15

    Default Re: NBA Back to Seattle?

    The Warriors had two NBA championships in the 70's, and a representative on the Dream Team in Chris Mullin, but they've been a team that is explosive one year, and then collapses for a while after that. They last made a pretty good playoff run in 2007, but they're a team constantly in the other California teams' shadow.

  16. Default Re: NBA Back to Seattle?

    Quote Originally Posted by MDot View Post
    I meant of the teams Snowman named off. I haven't really listened to the New Orleans situation lately so I really don't know where they stand as of now but I'll take your word for it.
    I'm not sure what will happen out there, in some circles, there is talk of contraction down to 28 teams.

  17. #17

    Default Re: NBA Back to Seattle?

    Quote Originally Posted by Bellaboo View Post
    I'm not sure what will happen out there, in some circles, there is talk of contraction down to 28 teams.
    I guess we're just going to have to wait and see. I mean if they did go down to 28 which teams would go?

  18. #18

    Default Re: NBA Back to Seattle?

    With most teams being at least 300 million then that is a lot of money for the NBA to blow since any owner would try to sell before just dissolved so the NBA would likely have to acquire them. It seems like they have also been considering having teams in Europe or Asia, which if they were willing to just shut them down then they might give a go to test the other markets before contraction.

  19. #19

    Default Re: NBA Back to Seattle?

    Not only do several other states have multiple teams, CITIES have multiple teams, New York, LA and the Bay area.

  20. Default Re: NBA Back to Seattle?

    Quote Originally Posted by metro View Post
    Not only do several other states have multiple teams, CITIES have multiple teams, New York, LA and the Bay area.
    Bay area ?


    Or are you counting the Kings in here ?

  21. #21

    Default Re: NBA Back to Seattle?

    Quote Originally Posted by metro View Post
    Not only do several other states have multiple teams, CITIES have multiple teams, New York, LA and the Bay area.
    I had actually just thought about that a few minutes ago how LA has 2 teams and NYC is about to have 2 as well. The LA area would have had 3 teams if the Kings would have wound up relocating to Anaheim last year.

  22. #22

    Default Re: NBA Back to Seattle?

    Scary to hear that the Kings may be moving from Sacramento, wasn't that long ago that they were the perfect small market team. Sure hope that isn't what the future holds for us and the Thunder.

  23. #23

    Default Re: NBA Back to Seattle?

    I think arena issues are at the root of the Kings problems, they had been trying to get a new one in the downtown area that wasn't out in a field off the highway....or at least that is what it was when I was out there seven years ago.

    The Maloof's also have also had many other interests including Vegas casinos, not sure if they still have those.

  24. #24

    Default Re: NBA Back to Seattle?

    Their was rumors that the Maloof's other businesses were having problems so were not putting as much back in the team for the last few years.

  25. #25

    Default Re: NBA Back to Seattle?

    Quote Originally Posted by Snowman View Post
    Their was rumors that the Maloof's other businesses were having problems so were not putting as much back in the team for the last few years.
    That is what I was thinking, I had heard they were in the development business in Vegas, we all know how that has struggled. I thought at one time I read they were putting the Kings up for sale but never heard anything past that.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Parody: Thunder moving back to Seattle?
    By Laramie in forum Sports
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 12-11-2011, 11:13 AM
  2. Seattle Still Pissed
    By bucktalk in forum Current Events & Open Topic
    Replies: 62
    Last Post: 09-09-2011, 08:31 PM
  3. A Headline in Seattle
    By cindycat in forum Sports
    Replies: 46
    Last Post: 07-18-2010, 10:59 AM
  4. They're Bashing us in Seattle!
    By Laramie in forum Sports
    Replies: 33
    Last Post: 07-30-2008, 12:21 AM
  5. NBA Board of Governors approves OKC groupís Seattle franchise purchase
    By BricktownGuy in forum General Civic Issues
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 10-25-2006, 04:17 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO