Widgets Magazine
Page 8 of 19 FirstFirst ... 345678910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Custino's

Default Re: Custino's

Steve,

You and Dave were the first ones we called and I can still remember the excitement in both of your voices that my dad was back in town. I tried to avoid the name question because to me it was just silly, but I didn't want to see my father have his own "birther" movement like President Obama so I had my mother mail his birth certificate to me in case their were any doubts. I'll bring you a slice of our new and improved lasagna to your office and show it to you.

2. Default Re: Custino's

Good to hear you sharing your family's story. It's always unfortunate when only one side talks. I do have fond memories of your dad's restaurant in the old Taco Bell.

so basically if the Oklahoma Court systems decides to go in the favor of the other owners of custinos you will take it to the supreme court good luck with that

Tydude,
    Not to insult your intelligence, but the U.S. court system does not jump from the local level to the Supreme Court. I would take the case to the District court that has jurisdiction over Oklahoma.

Quote Originally Posted by angelocustino View Post
    Tydude,
    Not to insult your intelligence, but the U.S. court system does not jump from the local level to the Supreme Court. I would take the case to the District court that has jurisdiction over Oklahoma.
    so what is the point of taking them to court is it for the naming rights or its for Money

I have been self employed since I was 13 years old. While I was working as an actor I also worked freelance creating fresh menu ideas for Divinity Catering in Beverly Hills which managed most of the accounts on Rodeo Dr. from Chanel to Valentino catering their private galas and new product launches as well as new brands launching in the Beverly Hills/Los Angeles marketplace. I also learned a great deal from one of Wolfgang Puck's sous chefs who worked at Spago in Beverly Hills, although now she has turned to pastries which is not a particular hobby of mine. Other than that I have been an independent food broker for several years redistributing Italian cheeses like Pecorino Romano and Parmesan as well as Olive Oil ranging from blends all the way too pure organic 100% extra virgin. Not to mention I learned a thing or two from Dad. I was also asked twice to be a contestant on the Bravo show Top Chef, but reluctantly had to decline due to my hectic schedule and not being able to step away from my current business.

My father had 3 locations from Edmond to the South Side and took the state by storm with his fresh trays of lasagna ready to-go through the drive through window to feed families with great food and great prices with never before seen convenience. Soon he began to cater events such as the National Western Heritage Museum, Remington Park, and even had Mary Fallin (then Lt. Governor) personally serve his lasagna at the state capital boasting he had the best Italian food in Oklahoma City. Soon he managed to take the supermarkets by storm putting his Ziti Lasagna on the shelves at such retailers as Super Walmart, Sam's, and Albertson's as a new product developer.

That's who we are.
    This all sounds like bluster. Come down to earth dude. And that stretch of North May is a dump today...your business transactions probably won't help it much in the end. I have concerns over the ability of a deteriorating strip of North OKC's ability to not go to pieces after all of these Custino restaurants bite the dust. At least you are keeping us entertained, and good thing you'll only be causing blight 8 or 9 miles NW of downtown.

Medium camera shot of sterotypical, checkerboard cloth covered table that is also piled high with everything Custino's makes. Two diners are seated at the table: a guy and a girl. A chef-looking person--resembling Hector Boardi--is standing by the table. The guy looks at the table, at his girlfriend then up at the chef.

Guy to Chef: I didn't want to make a "fed-her-all" case out of it.

Camera pans and closes on Chef who gives a big "shrug take" using both arms and upturned hands and says (to camera):
    But whaddaya gonna do? It's ALL so good.

(Busboy enters from left of frame, looks at camera, point at girl: And cheap! Like her!)

You are a mean drunk Clark Kent.

Spartan,
    You and I are the same age. Can I see your resume? What have you accomplished? I spent six years in Hollywood and opened my own brokerage company out of Florida then moved back to Oklahoma and opened two restaurants(one tangled up in a legal battle). Your profile says you want to make OKC better, what have you done to do that? I am trying to rebuild a piece of a community I grew up in. After being gone 10 years I stayed in Oklahoma because I saw the cusp of a renaissance trying to emerge. It is people in our generation that will end up defining this great state. I plan on supporting local business as opposed to the corporate strangle hold on most of America and pay employees based on their skills rather than use them like cattle. It may not be much but I am trying to make a difference through action not talk. When you open your own business that creates this much of a discussion then you and I can sit down and talk about how we can improve our city. You see, what they don't teach you in school is the only way to make a difference is to do something different. I am building a model for how small business should be in this country rather than the post modern feudal society it has become.

My profile hasn't been updated in years, but I'm amazed to encounter someone who doesn't pretend to know everything about me. Maybe you are the real deal after all.

I don't mean to flame you or anything, but my point is just that your legal battle doesn't look good (though very Italian lol) and I just don't think this is a good recipe for a sustainable business model...a restaurant born out of a legal battle. Hope I'm wrong.

Spartan,
    I understand where your coming from with the legal battle, but don'f forget I am the plaintiff not the defendant. I am a business owner protecting the rights to my brand through the legal system designed to handle such discrepancies rather than the shoot outs at high noon of the old west. Thank goodness society has evolved since then and business disputes are handled with pens and not swords. Not to mention it's not like lawsuits are rare in this country.

Tydude,
    Not to insult your.. Well, if you feel insulted that's no fault of mine.

I think that Tydude meant the Supreme Court of Oklahoma. But hey, you can try to make a federal case of it.

Quote Originally Posted by DH405 View Post
    Not to insult your.. Well, if you feel insulted that's no fault of mine.

I think that Tydude meant the Supreme Court of Oklahoma. But hey, you can try to make a federal case of it.
    . . .not do sure DH405. . .what Tyude "said" (wrote) was:

so basically if the Oklahoma Court systems decides to go in the favor of the other owners of custinos you will take it to the supreme court good luck with that ."

I would presume that the "Oklahoma Court systems" would include the Oklahoma Supreme Court.

That's how I took it foodiefan.

Needless to say the point is I have the right to appeal any decision and will do so until I get a result I am satisfied with or run out of appeals. Needless to say I have something in my back pocket that would allow me to take it to federal court after going through the proper local channels first, but considering the case is ongoing i can't disclose it at this time.

Spartan,
    I understand where your coming from with the legal battle, but don'f forget I am the plaintiff not the defendant. I am a business owner protecting the rights to my brand through the legal system designed to handle such discrepancies rather than the shoot outs at high noon of the old west. Thank goodness society has evolved since then and business disputes are handled with pens and not swords. Not to mention it's not like lawsuits are rare in this country.
    Yup. I don't think you get it. Taking someone to court doesn't look good...people are needlessly litigious these days.

I also think you underestimate the benefits of the shoot out at high noon.

it says that the Neither party should make any Statements disparaging or harmful to Custinos Italian Kitchen from the Judge

Tydude,

Everything I said is public record.

"My former partners were investors with no knowledge or skill related to the business we opened."

This was the only statement that was not public record that I would like to clarify. Although they had no previous restaurant experience they hired a restaurant consultant. I wish them the best of luck in their new business venture.

19. Default Re: Custino's

Just now hearing about comments posted that have since been removed. For the record, I stand by my reporting I did on this story and will note that Mr. Custino and his lawyer repeatedly declined my requests for interviews on the story I produced last month. I printed Mr. Custino's allegations and gave them equal time with those made by his former business partner, Bud Elder. When I turned my story in to my editor, every single part of it was footnoted in light of previous comments made to another reporter about the possibility of suing over coverage. Every part of my story was attributed to interviews, news archives or court records. I wish Mr. Custino the very best in his new venture and I know the community still has fond memories of his father's old restaurant.

Steve,
    I have no intentions on filing a lawsuit against you, I have enough on my plate right now. I would like to ask why you didn't include in your article with "The Hormel Deal" that Bud Elder was an officer of the company at the time?

To all the Custino's fans out there, look for an exclusive this month in The Oklahoma Gazette as well as a few other media sources after they break the story.

I would like to set the record straight on something. I was approached by a buyer for Whole Foods for the salad dressing I developed. My new restaurant will have new signature dressings never before seen in the Oklahoma marketplace. One of the advantages of traveling back and forth between Florida, California, and Chicago is picking up on many different twists on similar items. Seeing as this is the heartland of America I am trying to develop products that capture the flavors from all over the continental U.S.

i drove by Custino new Restaurant couple of days ago and it was empty no sign nothing i think he is not telling the truth to us.If he wants to open up a new restaurant i think he should put up a sign telling folks that a restaurant is coming soon

22. Default Re: Custino's

Steve,
    I have no intentions on filing a lawsuit against you, I have enough on my plate right now. I would like to ask why you didn't include in your article with "The Hormel Deal" that Bud Elder was an officer of the company at the time?

To all the Custino's fans out there, look for an exclusive this month in The Oklahoma Gazette as well as a few other media sources after they break the story.

I would like to set the record straight on something. I was approached by a buyer for Whole Foods for the salad dressing I developed. My new restaurant will have new signature dressings never before seen in the Oklahoma marketplace. One of the advantages of traveling back and forth between Florida, California, and Chicago is picking up on many different twists on similar items. Seeing as this is the heartland of America I am trying to develop products that capture the flavors from all over the continental U.S.
    If Bud Elder was an officer at the time with Hormel, this is the first time I've heard that. This would have been something I would have been eager to learn from you in an interview. That's not something, however, that would be cause for a lawsuit. Every bit of that story was footnoted with public documents or interviews to back up every sentence. Congrats on the salad dressing and best of luck with your new venture.

Steve,

Technically Bud was on the board of advisors for Custino's Supreme Quality Food's at the time of "The Hormel Deal." Of course it isn't grounds for a lawsuit, it was just a question I had I figured you would have uncovered in your investigation. I am well aware of all your sources and you have nothing to fear from me. You are right an interview with me would have turned out a very different article, but I will continue to deny comments to The Oklahoman for the time being. As a sign of good faith I would love to treat you to dinner after our grand opening when i have worked out all the kinks and I know it will live up to your standards. You will have to try our new signature dish that will be made public through The Oklahoma Gazette. It is a collaboration between my father and I that is guaranteed to drop a few mouth watering jaws.

Tydude,

Our new sign will be up very soon. We will be having a soft opening to test out our products and procedures in the very near future. I am trying to avoid too much buzz as last time we were overwhelmed. There will be plenty of attention from Magic 104.1/Renda Broadcasting, The Oklahoma Gazette, and Fox 25 when we are ready to make our grand opening public knowledge. We are waiting for everything to be as close to perfect as possible to best serve our patrons before we start the media frenzy. Keep driving by this week and I assure you you will see our new sign with the new Custino's logo.

Steve,

Technically Bud was on the board of advisors for Custino's Supreme Quality Food's at the time of "The Hormel Deal." Of course it isn't grounds for a lawsuit, it was just a question I had I figured you would have uncovered in your investigation. I am well aware of all your sources and you have nothing to fear from me. You are right an interview with me would have turned out a very different article, but I will continue to deny comments to The Oklahoman for the time being. As a sign of good faith I would love to treat you to dinner after our grand opening when i have worked out all the kinks and I know it will live up to your standards. You will have to try our new signature dish that will be made public through The Oklahoma Gazette. It is a collaboration between my father and I that is guaranteed to drop a few mouth watering jaws.
    I vote for treating all of the posters at OKC Talk to dinner so we can make an informed decision and won't have to rely on news articles. LOL

Thread Information