Widgets Magazine
Page 3 of 19 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Custino's

Default Re: Custino's

Quote Originally Posted by soonerguru View Post
    As a quasi-expert on NY pizza, Falcone's was anything but.
    Based on this post, I would be willing to bet you know as little about the Sooners as you do about NY pizza.

I've never been to NYC and I have no desire to go there.
    I have, however, watched a million TV shows and movies set in NYC.
    Many of them have involved scenes with "New York Style" pizza.
    Like "Law and Order" for example.

To me NY Style has a thin, flexible, chewy crust (that can be a little puffy around the outside edge).
    It isn't loaded with ingredients but has a nice balance of tomato sauce and cheese with just enough pepperoni or sausage (etc.) to make it interesting.

LaPizza (Nicoma Park and Heritage Park Mall), the old Pizza Place in Jones, Angelo's and Perri's all had NY Style pizza.
    There are probably others...Like maybe Hobbies Hoagies?
    Falcone's Pizza is of the same type. I like it and I like the fact you can buy it by the slice.

Maybe The Evaluator, above, is thinking about UPSTATE New York Style Pizza?
    Or perhaps Chicago Style?
    (Chicago may have been Sinatra's kind of town, but I'll bet it wasn't his kind of pizza.)

BTW: Went thru the drive-thru at the new Custino's the other night. Ordered a ravioli entree and a lasagne entree to take home and share with my wife. The price was amazingly low and both selections tasted pretty darn good. We are definitely going back. Maybe I'll try their pizza . . . but probably not on the next visit.

Prunepicker Guest

Quote Originally Posted by OKCRT View Post
    OK Mr NY Pizza Expert,so where does one go to get the best NY
    Pizza in the city?
    That is a no brainer. Lombardi's is absolutely the best pizza in NYC
    and in the world, as far as that matters.

Quote Originally Posted by mikesimpsons82 View Post
    Based on this post, I would be willing to bet you know as little about the Sooners as you do about NY pizza.
    Wow. You must have limited knowledge about NY pies. Falcone's was shaped the same; that's where the similarities ended.

I would have to agree with Lombardy's, although we could write entire dissertations on NY pizza.

Prunepicker Guest

Quote Originally Posted by soonerguru View Post
    I would have to agree with Lombardy's, although we could write
    entire dissertations on NY pizza.
    No kidding. Pizza, like everything else, is a personal epicurean
    pleasure. It's a gas to test other pizzerias that have some of
    the best food in the world. But Lombardi's.

The same goes for NYC hot dogs. Then there's Chicago and
    Dodger Stadium. Dare we include brats in a hot dog discussion?

Prunepicker Guest

Is Custino's local or a chain?

Local, his old (first) shop was in a former Taco Bell on May & Wilshire.

http://newsok.com/article/3679913 they were in the Oklahoman

Quote Originally Posted by RadicalModerate View Post
    I guess that I can't understand why (The Original) "Falcone's" (just north of the tire place by Wilshire?)--the third best Authentic New York Style Pizza Place in OKC (right after Perri's and that old converted house in Nicoma Park) can't make it in this market . . .

In fact, I'm sure that I can't understand why.
    No guessing involved.

(Probably has something to do with his New York Attitude that lent "Authenticity" but pissed off the Entrenched Edmondite Powers That Be or Were. I seem to recall it involved AwningSignage. =)
    Maybe it was nothing more complicated than the fact that it sucked?

Tried Falcone's several times and it was very consistent. Consistently bad. I kept thinking I wasn't giving it a fair shake, and that it would get better by the fourth or fifth time I went there, that I just wasn't "getting" this great NY pizza, but suddenly realized...no, this stuff really was supposed to taste that way, and that it really does suck.

the pizza at Falcone's is really really greasy

Prunepicker Guest

Quote Originally Posted by bluedogok View Post
    Local, his old (first) shop was in a former Taco Bell on May & Wilshire.
    That was the first Taco Bell I ever visited. I had the, I don't remember
    what it was called, but it was taco meat on a bun. 39 cents.

Good grief--can we talk about CUSTINO'S in this thread, or do we need to debate some more about which Oklahoman knows most about NY-style pizza??

I went for lunch today and the place was hoppin. There's not a ton on the menu, but you can tell you won't go wrong with anything you get. I ordered the chicken parmesan sandwich, and my coworkers got the meatball sandwich and the signature sandwich (can't remember what it was called but it was packed with Italian beef). They both also go the potato wedges.

For my (huge) sandwich and a big drink, it was $9.85. Mr. Custino himself rang us up, and he was a spirited guy. Super sweet to every person in that building. We all enjoyed our meals and will be back. I want to try the spaghetti with meatballs next time...it came with garlic bread and looked delicious.

Prunepicker Guest

Quote Originally Posted by JayhawkTransplant View Post
    Good grief--can we talk about CUSTINO'S in this thread,
    You're right. It's too easy to get sidetracked on these threads.

I've never been to Custino's but will try it in the very near future.
    Spaghetti and meatballs will be the test. I like spaghetti and
    meatballs.

Friday, I picked up lasagne to eat later and it was very good. I ate it Saturday and it did nicely in the microwave. I wonder how it freeze. I will go back.
    C. T.

My only trip to Custino's so far, mentioned above, involved one individual order of ravioli and one order of lasagne. They were both good (my wife said so too, but she also said the lasagne didn't come close to mine--I add layers of fresh basil, assorted mushrooms, etc.) and were only about $5.00 each. (VERY cheap price for what you got.)

I think I'm going to get a meatball on the side the next time. A Gazette piece mentioned that Custino's has "1/4 lb." meatballs (ala carte) for only about $1.50. I wonder if they have un-chopped/un-sliced Italian Sausages available as a side in addition to the meatballs . . .

I didn't have that great of an experience at this place. They ran out of a lot of stuff and there were at least six tables that still had dirty plates and silverwear on them. The guy at the front was super nice but he needed to be cleaning the tables. Kinda gross to look at while you're eating.

My chicken parmesan was just not that great too. I'll probably try again at a different time and give them another shot.

they make all the food from scratch and if they run out of food they run out

We set our sights on Custino's yesterday--right after my wife got off work--and headed straight over there. I thought, "Gee, this [incredibly tight and difficult, as always] parking lot looks empty." We parked in back and just as we arrived at the door were greeted by a friendly gentleman who said, "Sorry, folks. We're closed. The AC unit broke down and you don't really want to be in here as hot as it is." Dang. And I was all set to order some ravioli and maybe an ala carte meatball.

He invited us to come back, we said that we would, and we returned to the car considering other dining options. KhaZana (Indian), Gabriella's (Italian), and The Elephant Bar (Lamb Shanks) crossed our minds, but by the time we had reached Wilshire on Penn we agreed on Sean Cummings (Irish pub food--with a very good live Celtic duo for background music.)

Maybe it will be Custino's this weekend . . .

Quick Question for those who have been to Custino's:
    Do they have a simple wine list?
    Or, if not, is it one of those places that allows you to bring in a bottle of wine and pay a reasonable charge for glasses or whatnot?

With our liquor laws, I am not sure if bring your own is allowed???

Their menu only mentions beer
    http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fb...type=1&theater

I've never done it myself . . . but I KNOW that I've been to at least one restaurant where the diners at an adjacent table pulled out at least a couple of bottles for sharing with their meals. The restaurant waitstaff didn't bat an eye . . . There was nothing "sneaky" or whatever about it. Is the possible restaurant service charge for this is a "cork" charge? It seems like I've heard that term used. (and I don't mean the wine flaw "corked" or the hilarious movie of the same name). As I said: All I know for sure is that I've seen this done in at least one restaurant in the OKC area.

Here's a little article on the topic that I just came across. Oklahoma is specifically mentioned a couple of times.
    http://www.winespectator.com/webfeature/show/id/44507

To me, Italian Food without wine is sort of like . . . sunshine without orange juice.
    (Peretti Doublo Malto is pretty good Italian beer though) . . .

Well, there you go then, if I am reading it right, it isn't allowed in Oklahoma county since by the glass is available here (maybe someone needs to inform ABLE so they can shut the places down where you saw it happening)...
    In Oklahoma, restaurants that wish to allow corkage can apply for a special “bottle club” license, but only in counties where by-the-glass service is illegal. …Oklahoma requires each diner to have his or her own bottle. Residents of dry counties in any state are typically out of luck….

That's the way I read it too, and I think calling ABLE in for an old-fashioned, axe-wielding bust of one of these places and the patrons thereof is a darn good idea . . . especially if they don't want to share their wine with other diners. I like the part about "each diner having to have his or her own bottle." It doesn't say there has to be anything IN the bottle . . . only that they have to have it.

Made it to Custino's yesterday. The ravioli was very good. The sauce was very tasty. The meatball was about as good as they get. (My wife compared it to those made by a real life version of Carmella Soprano that she knew through a friend (actually a daughter) of "The Family"). Ambiance? Go for the Drive-Thru. (harsh, maybe . . . but true)

The Gelato at Giovanni's next door makes a nice dessert for the occasion.

Wow……. is this place really as bad as some of the reviews suggest?

With reviews like these is hard to imagine this place lasting very long.
    http://www.urbanspoon.com/r/46/16800...-Oklahoma-City

Thread Information