Widgets Magazine
Page 7 of 23 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Santa Fe Station

Default Re: Santa Fe Station

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Cotter View Post
    I'm no fan of surface parking, but 26 spaces seems reasonable. Picking someone up from an Amtrak or Tulsa rail trip; Dropping your sweetheart off for a trip, but want to take 15 minutes to walk the Bricktown Canal before they go; a place to park TimeCar vehicles; etc.; etc;. Of course all of that could be done in a parking garage, and I'd prefer that, but short term, metered parking might make the hub more useful for people whose ultimate starting point or destination is outside the service area of the transit plan.
    Why would a person from an out-lying area drive all the way downtown to pick someone up when that same person could just take regional rail to the out-lying area. Instead of picking them up in downtown OKC they could pick them up in downtown Norman/Edmond/MWC and someday Yukon.

2. Default Re: Santa Fe Station

Quote Originally Posted by pahdz View Post
    of course you do

we're talking 30 spaces here. i'm not crazy about the 23 space lot, but it makes for decent short term parking if you're seeing someone off, picking someone up, etc. an all encompassing plan that serves all transit modes in some manner is what OKC needs.
    True, I didn't really think about that. I would like them to go away in the future though when the garage is put in.

The parking is for the restaraunt and Pinkitzle.

Quote Originally Posted by Urban Pioneer View Post
    Duh...completely missed that

Quote Originally Posted by Urban Pioneer View Post
    Dozens and dozens of downtown retailers and restaurants operate without their own dedicated parking and this hub will see thousands of pedestrians everyday plus the people who live in the area. At some point we have to stop accommodating the car when planning this stuff. It is a downtown mass transit hub and the largest land use is still parking.

Also, I am not a fan of Gaylord Plaza unless the Gaylord family is going to kick in some money here. The street is already named after them but we shouldn't be applying that name to adjacent public developments. I would call it California Plaza since that is the street that terminates there.

For those of you wanting to keep the Cox Center, here is what you see when you step out of this transit hub; note there isn't even a sidewalk along the west side of EKG. I tried to walk along there not long ago and it was challenging to say the least.

EKG is one of the most unpleasant streets to walk along in all of DT. Which is really sad because it is one of the most heavily traveled by pedestrians. The entire east side has a worn path in the grass from people walking. And the amount of people who jaywalk across from the Santa Fe Garage is frightening.

The entire street needs to be exploded. Is the hold on this street in P180 - due to the hub/streetcar implementation?

The Cox Center isn't even shown on the hub renderings and California St. is shown connecting to EKG.

Right, you can't find any future drawings that show the Cox Center still in place. The side facing Robinson is even more embarrassing since it fronts the gardens.

Everyone assumes it's a goner and as far as I'm concerned, that monolithic piece of tilt-up concrete can't be bulldozed fast enough.

I can't vouch for the accuracy of this report, but at the time it was being built back in the mid-70s I was told that much of the design of the Myriad (as it was then known) was done by a lad just out of high school who was working in the city engineer's office. The look of the building certainly adds credence to this. And the reported designer just happened to be the roommate of my eldest son...

Pete, are you going to add the newest images to this thread/wiki up top? I keep having to go back to page 3 and find them.

Thanks for the reminder.

They are added now.

Convention Center architects have historically been very bad at place-making and pedestrian orientation, in part because of the enormous exhibit space they are dealing with. How do you dress up 400' of continuous wall to make it pleasing to pedestrians? In Howard Kunstler's TED Talk presentation he speculates on the meeting between architects designing the Saratoga Springs, NY convention center and what they said to each other after spending all their time, effort, and money on the front and realizing they still had 3 side to go. He showed a picture of one of the sides and says the last words were, "Oh **** it!"

How Bad Architecture Wreck Cities

I don't know if this is open to the public. but for those who are interested.

Santa Fe Station plans feature tunnel linking downtown Oklahoma City, Bricktown | NewsOK.com

Architects will discuss the designs at 9 a.m. Wednesday with the Bricktown Urban Design Committee at the Bricktown Police Substation, 219 E Main St.

The east facing entrance of the tunnel above the canal looks kinda funny the way the walls step back. Neon, since it's popping up everywhere downtown, should be incorporated into those walls. That would looks pretty fancy!

I also wanted to add that I enjoy the fact that EK Gaylord is 2 lanes in each direction in this rendering. Very appropriate. I agree that the parking spaces around the station are a good thing in the short term but they should be removed as time warrants with the addition of commuter rail service.

As part of the presentation to the design review committee, TAP included these examples of what could be done with the tunnel:

17. Default Re: Santa Fe Station

The step back is designed to open the tunnel up, let light in and avoid the creation of a closed-in, dark corridor. There are also a number of other considerations related to programming, tenants, and other elements.

JTF, I agree with you about the name. Urbanized is tight about the light issue. The width of the opening is exciting to me. This desgn has many issues though and I hope that these plans are very, very preliminary.

Quote Originally Posted by ljbab728 View Post
    I don't know if this is open to the public. but for those who are interested.

Santa Fe Station plans feature tunnel linking downtown Oklahoma City, Bricktown | NewsOK.com
    It's an open meeting -- all City meetings are, except executive sessions which are rare.

From Bill Crum's update.

http://www.oklahoman.com/article/5374811?embargo=1

The tunnel between downtown and Bricktown via the renovated Santa Fe Station must be an inviting experience for pedestrians, architects said Wednesday.

The walkway will be dug beneath the BNSF Railway tracks, between the historic railroad depot and a terrace overlooking the Bricktown Canal.

Architects described a well-lit space, air-conditioned with glass doors at either end. Art installations could enliven the walk.

Jeff Bezdek, a streetcar advocate and member of a MAPS 3 streetcar advisory group, told committee members and the architects that he had hoped the designs would do more to connect the depot to streetcar stops on Reno and Sheridan avenues.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    As part of the presentation to the design review committee, TAP included these examples of what could be done with the tunnel:

A great opportunity to continue building the character of the area. Will something creative and bold like the above be seriously pursued? Or will it turn out to be another sterile attempt at something that could have been more? I see the idea as an opportunity to set it aside and entice people to walk through it. Make it interactive. Don't just hang up some fancy art and call it a day.

At today's City Council Meeting, Public Works Director Eric Wenger provided an update to the Council on the renovation of the Santa Fe Depot, which will serve as an intermodal transit hub.

Renovation design plans are in the early stages, with the project expected to be complete in two years.

The transit hub will help link transit modes like Amtrak and the future MAPS 3 modern streetcar, and also include retail and dining. Designs will leave room to accommodate other modes that could come to downtown Oklahoma City in the future like commuter rail and high-speed trains.

Thread Information