Widgets Magazine

Thread: Happy 18th Birthday, MAPS!

1. Default Happy 18th Birthday, MAPS!

After public and private debate that continued from the first press releases of MAPS over the summer of 1992 to late fall of 1993, the voters that approved the first package on a brisk and windy Tuesday, December 14, 1993 walked away from the polls not realizing that they had made history.

I'll never forget the consensus of those opposed to MAPS, weary from the memories of previous failed attempts at revitalization and convinced that the projects would never materialize. I'll never forget the sentiments of those in support of the proposal, always hopeful that if given another chance, city leaders would follow through and give Oklahoma City what it truly needed - a fresh start.

I was a high school freshman that year, so although I was too young to vote, I held my hands together as the 10PM news began, hoping that the election was successful. When I heard the news, it changed the way I felt about our city, and it changed my plans for the future.

Growing up, I used to love to build models of cities. When I wasn't building them, I was drawing them, so it was easy for me to relate to the visions Mayor Ron Norick had. Prior to 1993, I was just like most other people, looking to leave Oklahoma once I finished college. Today, I can't wait to return home to live, and I walk tall and proud each time I see someone impressed with everything happening in Oklahoma City today.

MAPS set a precedent to rebuilding a city. Since that day, I have followed all three projects closely, watching how it not only affects the look and feel of OKC, but also how it affects our mindsets as local citizens. Never before has there been such an energy and strong will to move this city forward. Everything that has happened since the completion of the first round of MAPS in 2004 has greatly exceeded my expectations. The entire state has been impacted one way or another thanks to the 54% that took a risk 18 years ago with their vote. I look forward to the next eighteen years in Oklahoma City. With the Devon Tower nearing completion and the continued growth of our local companies as well as MAPS 3 heading toward realization, will we recognize our city in the year 2029 if time travel were possible? I bet we wouldn't. Happy birthday, MAPS.
    Continue the Renaissance!!!

Default Re: Happy 18th Birthday, MAPS!

There has been a lot of criticism of MAPs 3, but I hope everyone suspends their judgment. The first two MAPs (and NBA MAPs if you will) have been extremely successful even though they were not perfect. Berry Tramel wrote an article in 2002 about how drab the Ford Center was initially, but points out how nice it is now. The initial investment has led to future success. Just yesterday USA Canoe/Kayak moved to OKC based on a MAPs 3 project. I hope everyone is patient with MAPs 3 and remembers how much success have already, and continue to comoe from, the previous MAPs projects.

Quote Originally Posted by KilgoreTrout View Post
    There has been a lot of criticism of MAPs 3, but I hope everyone suspends their judgment. The first two MAPs (and NBA MAPs if you will) have been extremely successful even though they were not perfect. Berry Tramel wrote an article in 2002 about how drab the Ford Center was initially, but points out how nice it is now. The initial investment has led to future success. Just yesterday USA Canoe/Kayak moved to OKC based on a MAPs 3 project. I hope everyone is patient with MAPs 3 and remembers how much success have already, and continue to comoe from, the previous MAPs projects.
    +1 ............ have a little patience folks...

Quote Originally Posted by KilgoreTrout View Post
    ... The first two MAPs (and NBA MAPs if you will) ...
    I liked someone the other day calling it MAPS for Hoops

FWIW, I think it's nice that the arena got its fancy new duds on just in time to be an adult. Good on ya OKC, and good on ya to the non-residents whose 30 odd percent paid for the shoes, socks, tie, clip, belt, and cuff links.

Blog Entries

Kevinpate

You are to be commended for your civic pride and faith in Oklahoma City and its leadership. Having lived in a number of cities (Fort Worth, Arlington, Dallas, Tulsa...), somehow I aways manage to make my way back home. It is so refreshing when I return to the city which bears the footprints and the cosmetics of my childhood. I truely know Oklahoma City and this will always be my home. Watching Oklahoma City take modest flight assures me that this city will not swallow more than it can chew.

I am proud to tell people that I'm from Oklahoma City and anytime they ask me what it is like here(?), I'm only to happy to tell them about my experiences and positive things which are happening in our beloved OKC.

Right on Kevinpate! Keep up the good work.

Thread Information