Widgets Magazine
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Probably a good idea... no texting while driving.

Default Probably a good idea... no texting while driving.

Washington (CNN) -- Federal accident investigators Tuesday called for a nationwide ban on the use of cell phones and text messaging devices while driving.
    Study: Half of young people text, drive

The recommendation is the most far-reaching yet by the National Transportation Safety Board, which in the past 10 years has increasingly sought to limit the use of portable electronic devices. It has recommended such bans for novice drivers, school bus drivers and commercial truckers.

The new recommendation, if adopted by states, would outlaw non-emergency phone calls and texting by operators of every vehicle on the road.

It would not apply to hand-free devices or to passengers.

Default Re: Probably a good idea... no texting while driving.

Quote Originally Posted by Roadhawg View Post
    Washington (CNN) -- Federal accident investigators Tuesday called for a nationwide ban on the use of cell phones and text messaging devices while driving.
    Study: Half of young people text, drive

The recommendation is the most far-reaching yet by the National Transportation Safety Board, which in the past 10 years has increasingly sought to limit the use of portable electronic devices. It has recommended such bans for novice drivers, school bus drivers and commercial truckers.

The new recommendation, if adopted by states, would outlaw non-emergency phone calls and texting by operators of every vehicle on the road.

It would not apply to hand-free devices or to passengers.
    Should be mandatory in every state, any state that refuses to enforce should loose all Federal Funding immediately.

I think its a great idea but I really don't see how it would be enforced. Unless the police really started cracking down on it.

Its ridiculous that common sense must be legislated, but unfortunately there are simply too many idiots out there who put their friends text messages above their own safety.

Quote Originally Posted by adaniel View Post
    I think its a great idea but I really don't see how it would be enforced. Unless the police really started cracking down on it.

Its ridiculous that common sense must be legislated, but unfortunately there are simply too many idiots out there who put their friends text messages above their own safety.
    Especially teenagers

Quote Originally Posted by adaniel View Post
    ... are simply too many idiots out there who put their friends text messages above their own safety.
    Not arguing, but such a ban doesn't really focus drivers all that much more, not so long as such a ban "would not apply to hand-free devices or to passengers."

It seems like many other feel good, lookie what we done, pablum for the sheeple.

In all of my over 40 years of driving I don't remember so many people coming into my lane or slowing down or just generally not paying attention to their driving. I know it's certainly caused me to be much more of a defensive driver. BTW, most of the time it is NOT a teenager but an adult who is looking at their phone. Not talking on it, but looking at it. So, I figure they are either texting or dialing.

Once again the government taking away our rights.

First I can't drink and drive,.. Then I must wear a seatbelt, ... now I can't text and drive!.. geesh , thanks Obama!

j/k

In California there has been a ban for quite a while as well as talking on the phone, although you can do that with a hands-free device. And people generally comply; at least when a law is passed most come to realize there is a reason and change their behavior.

As far as enforcement, in the case of a serious accident cell phone records can be obtained to determine if you were doing something you shouldn't have been doing.

And finally, as an avid runner and cyclist, I can tell you my biggest worry is people jacking with their cell phones while behind the wheel. Virtually every run or ride I come across someone with their head down not paying attention and I only avoid them because I see them first. It has become better since they changed the laws out here, but it's still a problem, especially with young drivers.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete Brzycki View Post
    In California there has been a ban for quite a while as well as talking on the phone, although you can do that with a hands-free device. And people generally comply; at least when a law is passed most come to realize there is a reason and change their behavior.

As far as enforcement, in the case of a serious accident cell phone records can be obtained to determine if you were doing something you shouldn't have been doing.

And finally, as an avid runner and cyclist, I can tell you my biggest worry is people jacking with their cell phones while behind the wheel. Virtually every run or ride I come across someone with their head down not paying attention and I only avoid them because I see them first. It has become better since they changed the laws out here, but it's still a problem, especially with young drivers.
    I've witnessed speed trap/checkpoints in CA where, rather than target light runners or seat belt violators, they specifically target those on cellphones. When the law was first passed they issued warnings, but not anymore.

My pet peeve is those who try to merge on the highway while on their cell phone.

I know plenty of people out here that have received tickets for talking on the phone or texting.

It's a pretty steep fine, too.

Good law. Good chance of passing, too. Most of the large carriers are already on board so you won't see as many anti-reality campaigns as other behavioral-protective laws.

Actually, the law should go farther - no cell phone usage by the driver, period. Doesn't matter if it's hands-free or not. Studies have shown that it doesn't matter if it's hands-free or hand-held, the driver is sufficiently distracted to cause problems. Google is your friend, you can find lots of studies that show this. There may also be studies that show the opposite. Not sure how valid any of them are, of course, since I have not read all of them, but based on personal experience/anecdotes, I fully support no cell-phone usage at all by the driver of a vehicle while driving.

True, but if they try to push it hands-free then Motorola and a couple other brands will misquote some studies in an attempt to show that the law doesn't work. Pass this first, then go for the hands-free.

Quote Originally Posted by HewenttoJared View Post
    Good law. Good chance of passing, too. Most of the large carriers are already on board so you won't see as many anti-reality campaigns as other behavioral-protective laws.
    Stop the press, HewenttoJared and Rcjunkie agree on something. LOL

Maybe a good time to close this thread.

16. Default Re: Probably a good idea... no texting while driving.

Quote Originally Posted by rcjunkie View Post

No, a good time for a party! Where do we all meet? I mean, this is a huge development at this board.

Like I told Frisky, there is probably more that we agree on than disagree on, it just isn't relevant here.

But if you actually agree with what I said then extend it to...everything else we disagree about.

It should be a steep fine. I'd venture a guess that the already disturbing statistics do not even accurately reflect the truth, since phone records must be obtained to prove phone usage, as Pete mentioned. The feds should handle it just like they do with the drinking age and prod states to pass legislation by tying it to highway funding.

20. Default Re: Probably a good idea... no texting while driving.

The biggest offenders I constantly see are police officers. I rarely see one that is not talking on their cell phone.

I've also read that hands free is not much better than talking on the cell but at least they aren't trying to look down with their eyes off the road and directing their brain to try to spell out a text. Talking on a cell is bad enough but texting is even worse.

There is no doubt in my mind cell phones are killers. It has gotten to the point where it is a hazard to try to push a cart in the grocery store because some yahoo on a cell phone being reminded to pick up some radishes will run you down because they are too distracted to notice you.

Unless they end up banning all use of cell phones & texting(including passengers) and enforce it by having phone & mobile ISPs not allow the devices to receive or transmit above 25-ish MPH then unfortunately it is not going to stop the ridiculous amount of people still doing it, many of which are doing so violating existing state laws.

Quote Originally Posted by Snowman View Post
    Unless they end up banning all use of cell phones & texting(including passengers) and enforce it by having phone & mobile ISPs not allow the devices to receive or transmit above 25-ish MPH then unfortunately it is not going to stop the ridiculous amount of people still doing it, many of which are doing so violating existing state laws.
    Drivers--Yes
    Passengers--No

Drivers--Yes
    Passengers--No
    I know, I am just saying making it illegal has not put much of a stop to it and technical solutions likely will not be able to distinguish between passengers and drivers.

25. Default Re: Probably a good idea... no texting while driving.

Laws against drinking and driving didn't save the almost 11,000 people who died in 2009 because a driver was drunk. I'm fine with there being laws against texting and/or using a cell phone, but (like drinking) it has become a part of our society and no law is going to stop it. There should be laws against it, but you can't expect the laws are going to stop it. Too many people are just plain stupid when it comes to drinking, cell phones, stop lights, you name it. I personally think it should be much harder to get a driver's license and keep it.

Thread Information