Widgets Magazine
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Red's Diner (Closed)

Default Re: Red's Diner

While it's true one won't find even a smidgen of truffle butter in a biscuit or the creamed corn, there really aren't all that many places serving up their grub at the table family style, inexpensive or otherwise.

I catch myself wishing it was on the south side as I rarely even cross 23rd street when I roll into the city these days, let alone go on up anywhere north of I-44.

Quote Originally Posted by metro View Post
    ... A website should be completed BEFORE you open. ...
    Can't argue with that point. Placeholder pages and auto-start music or videos are pet peeves of mine.

I gotta say I have also tried it, and probably won't be going back, at least not unless I'm with a big group.

I walked in solo, as I tend to do my new restaurant exploring on Saturdays when I'm out running errands, especially when the weather is nice and Mr. Fritter is out on the motorcycle. They looked at me like I was a pariah and weren't quite sure what to do with me. "Just one?" they asked, when I had already told them that I would be dining alone.

Once I saw the "menu," I understood why. It's certainly not a place for solo diners, although I did have a nice supply of leftovers to take home with me.

The chicken was okay, not great, but certainly not the worst I've had. The mashed potatoes were very buttery and rich, quite tasty. The creamed corn, which was closer to corn pudding to me, was GREAT. I will add in that I love corn pudding so any dish like this is win in my book. It might have had a touch too much sugar for my taste, but was very good.

That said, it is definitely a place for a "family." The serving I had as a solo diner could easily have served three people so people who go looking for a lot of food will certainly have no complaints.

Quote Originally Posted by metro View Post
    What's so impressive with this concept again? Based on what you said, it sounds like every other place in Oklahoma....fried chicken, chicken tenders, BBQ, etc........
    Why not check it out yourself? I like the family style setting....and the food was quite tasty!

My wife and I had it last night (I'm actually eating some leftovers from it right now). It was alright. The food was good, but nothing particularly fantastic. You definitely get a lot of it though (and my wife also loves their cream corn). We probably won't go very often since we hardly ever get that far north, but if it were closer to where we live I definitely imagine we would go every once in a while.

Quote Originally Posted by FFLady View Post
    Why not check it out yourself? I like the family style setting....and the food was quite tasty!
    I would but it doesn't sound impressive based on the concept you described, as well as the reviews. Definitely doesn't sound worth driving to Edmond for, as Edmond has only2-3 that are worth the drive. Are you the owner?

No, Metro, I isn't the owner....did I plug the place that hard? LOL

Quote Originally Posted by kevinpate View Post
    Can't argue with that point. Placeholder pages and auto-start music or videos are pet peeves of mine.
    You're lucky they have a website at all, I'm (slightly) amazed at how many businesses in OKC have absolutely no web presence whatsoever...

Quote Originally Posted by Pete Brzycki View Post
    Larry, that last post was merged from another thread.
    Ooooops, my bad.....my apologies

It is certainly a knock off of Babe's, but since we dont have a Babe's here it works. Not as good, but not bad at all. Hard to find is the biggest issue I found, not much signage. You better be familiar and know where your going, you wont end up there by accident thats for sure. Food is plentiful and unlike Babe's they let you take home leftovers, honestly our waitress offered to refill all our sides for us to take with us. Said no, but it didnt seem right to take all that home. Hate for them to go broke due to giving stuff away. Good luck to them, I enjoyed the service and the meal itself. Still heading to Kendells in Noble for the best chicken fry though.

We had take out from there tonight. Huge amount of food. I tried the fried chicken this time. Very, very salty. It was good, but just a bit too salty. Another family member had chicken fried steak. It completely covered a dinner plate. He really liked it. It's not the kind of food I would eat very often, but its good once in a while.

I came back to this thread, just to check Red's opening date. Drove by it this weekend, and they are out of business....

Yea, I noticed they were closing a couple of months ago.....nobody seems to miss it.

I ate there once. It wasn't very delicious.

Yeah we had a Groupon for Reds that was expiring in either Jan or early Feb. we went and used it just before it expired. Then I drove by a couple of weeks later a d it was gone.

Red's is going to be replaced by a Bricktown Brewery. I believe the owners of the now-closed Red's are involved.

That's interesting.

Wow, the first time we ate there it was very good, the second and third it wasn't all that great. They seemed to alway have good business so that's strange that they would close. I looked over the other day and almost rear ended someone because my eyed wandered over to that general direction and for a second it looked like they closed and I noticed their signs and everything were still up. That's really a shame though. It had a nice atmosphere and was unique to me.

It seems that some cool concepts just aren't working, like when the garage took out that old put-put course which was incredibly stupid imo.

BTW, are they really making this into a Bricktown Brewery?

Ditto Panda - the first time we ate there (see my first post) it was really good. Then a couple of months ago it really wasn't...wonder if it just went downhill....?

Yeah, really the only thing I could think of is maybe staff problems. I was just there not too long ago, I think Feb., but I read on their Facebook page people were saying it closed in Jan. so that weird, but I swear I was there in Feb. and it was packed.

Quote Originally Posted by Plutonic Panda View Post
    Wow, the first time we ate there it was very good, the second and third it wasn't all that great. They seemed to alway have good business so that's strange that they would close. I looked over the other day and almost rear ended someone because my eyed wandered over to that general direction and for a second it looked like they closed and I noticed their signs and everything were still up. That's really a shame though. It had a nice atmosphere and was unique to me.

It seems that some cool concepts just aren't working, like when the garage took out that old put-put course which was incredibly stupid imo.

BTW, are they really making this into a Bricktown Brewery?
    I can't go into details, but it came from an extremely reliable source. You can take this one to the bank.

Never understood why the Pablano Grill that occupied that space left. The place was packed every day, then when Mama Veca's, and this place took over, they have had minimal crowds. I did notice that the Garfield's that was a few doors down. will now be a Monterrey Jack's soon.

According to Garfield's Restaurant website, the only location left in Oklahoma is in Bartlesville.

Quote Originally Posted by BlackmoreRulz View Post
    Never understood why the Pablano Grill that occupied that space left. The place was packed every day, then when Mama Veca's, and this place took over, they have had minimal crowds. I did notice that the Garfield's that was a few doors down. will now be a Monterrey Jack's soon.
    Where...that was one of my Mom's favorite mexican places?

Thread Information