Widgets Magazine
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: New Thunder Practice Facility

Default Re: Thunder Practice Facility: Broadway Ext. & Britton

Quote Originally Posted by jbrown84 View Post
    While I did say "not particularly exciting", I don't necessarily think it needs to be. We have enough big boxes downtown. Do we really need another when we could be putting in more pedestrian friendly, urban development? I don't buy that this would ever be much of a tourist destination. I can see it being something locals use, but there are plenty of locals within 5-10 minutes drive of this location. Besides, Broadway Extension needs a little filling in. We've already sprawled far past Britton, so this is really actually in-fill.

* Your opinion
    * Your opinion
    * Your opinion
    Your absolutely right. But are not others and I entitled to our opinons? At least my opinion has some logic behind it. Not stating others don't as well. I think we can agree to disagree, both sides have logical reasons. This is a public message board afterall. Just because the Free Market System failed, doesn't mean free speech did too. FYI...I never said it had to be downtown, just wish it was or somewhere close to OCU.

Quote Originally Posted by metro View Post
    ...just wish it was or somewhere close to OCU.
    I wish it was in Del City.

Why? You were so against taxpayers funding it, and now you want us taxpayers who are funding it to put it in a city other than where the tax is? Is this more Ron Paul economics?

If you think about it, the facility is equi-distant from where the players are most likely to live: Gallardia, Edmond and Downtown.

Will be able to get to that intersection from any of those places in about 15 minutes.

Pete, your forgetting Nichols Hills just about 2-3 miles away.

All I'm saying is if taxpayers are paying for it, the city ought to have some say so to location and design. Regardless of cheaper expense by putting it out there, they will still use the $21 million allotted for it. I doubt they will say okay, we saved $3 million on our land budget, so will give it back to the city. I don't see that happening, they will just by more Nintendo Wii's, granite, and workout equipment for the players.

Why? You were so against taxpayers funding it, and now you want us taxpayers who are funding it to put it in a city other than where the tax is? Is this more Ron Paul economics?
    Hey, all we were talking about were wishes. Wishes are different than taxpayer funded facilities.

All I'm saying is if taxpayers are paying for it, the city ought to have some say so to location and design.
    The original article says the proposed transaction is to be submitted to the city council, so it sure sounds like the city is directly involved.

8. Default Re: Thunder Practice Facility: Broadway Ext. & Britton

But are not others and I entitled to our opinons?
    Oh, of course. It's about how you express those opinions. But enough of that.

9. Default Re: Thunder Practice Facility: Broadway Ext. & Britton

I'm not certain many of the players will actually live in OKC anyway. They may purchase condos or live in hotels, but I don't see many putting down permanent roots. I expect most will be temporary residents at best. This is just my opinion, and of course, I may be way off.

I know that this facility is really just a large, glorified gym. Ususally practice facilities are quite plain. Even so, it would be nice for this facility to feed off of and into its local neighborhood. The OPUBCO intersection provides little opportunity for meaningful interaction with the city in my opinion.

I think the biggest advantage to the city having this facility downtown is that it would give OKC another venue to go along with Cox and Ford. Imagine having THREE arenas downtown!

But, it's not that big a deal to me. I'm okay with just about any location, and I remain thrilled that OKC and the investor team were able to land this deal and bring this team to the city. I applaud them. I never thought I'd see this in my lifetime.

Most of the players brought homes in Rose Creek addition [Edmond]. A hop, skip and a jump to future practice facility

Quote Originally Posted by Chicken In The Rough View Post
    I'm not certain many of the players will actually live in OKC anyway. They may purchase condos or live in hotels, but I don't see many putting down permanent roots. I expect most will be temporary residents at best. This is just my opinion, and of course, I may be way off.
    I think your right, I can't see those players with family's moving here.

Quote Originally Posted by MrBojangles
    Most of the players brought homes in Rose Creek addition [Edmond]. A hop, skip and a jump to future practice facility
    How do you know this ?

The original site of the practice facility was in Edmond on Santa Fe.

Oh, and Karried , you laughed about the "spy" thing, but even high schools watch out for who might be lurking around practices with a camera

city residents, not just the downtownies, voted in the increase to pay for the facility. All of us who spend $$ within the city contribute, irrespective of whether we're downtownies, outlanders or from out of town/state.

The facility is being built inside OKC, apparently at a location that makes the most sense to team ownership.

The city fringe residents have every bit as much right to easy access as anyone else to a city purchased facility, or at least it seems that way.

Sure sounds like everything is pretty much as it should be.

Quote Originally Posted by LordGerald View Post
    Agreed. Not real happy about this. The city had the opportunity to put this in Core to Shore or near the urban center, and they took a weak route.
    Maybe the team didn't want to practice near the most important freight distribution facility in the country and the 6 new freight rail lines and all of those future rail containers.

Quote Originally Posted by MrBojangles View Post
    I believe Durant did, but I think it's actually OKC City limits and Edmond Schools.

Quote Originally Posted by southernskye View Post
    I think your right, I can't see those players with family's moving here.

How do you know this ?
    Why do you say that? This is a great place to raise a family more than it is a great place for a single. Personally I think it's great for both, but singles usually like more action of say NYC, SF, CHI, MIAMI, etc.

Tons of families from California and elsewhere are flocking here like mad (and inflating our home and apartment prices) because of the low cost of living and high quality of life they can have for their family compared to being broke and in a deflated home in So.Cal.

Why do you say that? This is a great place to raise a family more than it is a great place for a single. Personally I think it's great for both, but singles usually like more action of say NYC, SF, CHI, MIAMI, etc.

Tons of families from California and elsewhere are flocking here like mad (and inflating our home and apartment prices) because of the low cost of living and high quality of life they can have for their family compared to being broke and in a deflated home in So.Cal.
    Speaking as somebody who lives in a city with three major-league sports teams, I suspect that most of the Thunder players are not going to be moving to OKC on any kind of a permanent basis. Judging by experience with the Cardinals, Rams and Blues, it seems that most pro ball players are used to moving teams every year or two. It makes more sense for them to keep their families (if they have them) in one place and then they more or less "commute" during the season, buying condos in the city where their team of the moment is located. This is actually a good thing for Downtown if you think about it, they are more likely to live down there. For those that are single, even more so. And metro, all your points are valid, but 25-year-old multi-millionaires don't care about the cost of living.

I also don't think its a big deal for the practice facility to be along Broadway Extension. That thoroughfare looks pretty down-on-the heels in that stretch and is in just as much need of "infill" as Downtown. A warehouse-like practice-facility is not as important to the future of Downtown as some high-quality mixed-use residential/commercial/office would be in the same location. Just my opinion.

I think this is a much better place than the original place. They were looking at land on Santa Fe and on Kelley over by the ice skating rink. Most of the players already live in Edmond, some live in the Moore/Norman region though. Either way, this practice facility also houses the staff and players office spaces, meeting rooms, and game play reviews. I think having it away from where they are creating the buzz would be better so they can practice in peace and work without people constantly imposing on them. That's what the games are for. They need their space to prepare for that.

stlokc, you bring some valid points. There still will be a few support staff and players that will probably CHOOSE to root their family here as it is a good place to raise families and not be in the spotlight all the time as they would say in LA, Dallas, etc. Byron Scott and family (from Hornets) still stay rooted here and his daughter still attends UCO. I've heard Chris Paul still has his rent house here and visits. I agree, pro-sports are about cross-country commuting as part of the job is knowing you will probably be traded often, unless you are a David Robinson, Michael Jordan, Brett Favre or someone who is rooted in the community and doesn't want to move. I still think there will be some of that (i.e. Desmond Mason (OSU), Durant (possibly), John Lucas (also OSU) and possibly a few others.

I agree, 25 (or younger) multi-millionaires aren't worried about cost of living, however obviously they may be to an extent as they purchased $250-$400K homes in Rose Creek instead of $1 million plus palacial MTV Cribs spreads in Gaillardia, Nichols Hills, Edmond or Downtown.

Eduardo Najera has a home in Edmond, right? Maybe he'll be able to get a transfer to the Thunder. That would be cool.

Indeed Luke. That would be pretty cool. Make it an All-Star Oklahoman team, even if we aren't the best in the league, I think it would be supported better long-term.

Metro, you are right that the coaching staff, support staff, office personnel will be putting down healthy roots in OKC. And that is not something that should be ignored. I also think it is true that some of the older players with families could choose OKC as a more permanent location, particularly if they are from this part of the country originally. I am thinking that the reason more players may have initially bought smaller houses to begin with is because they are still unsure of exactly what the future brings. It's a transient industry. OKC will need to do a very good "selling" job. If the city rallies behind the team and falls in love with them, they are more likely to grow a connection. In St. Louis, there are many, many more Cardinals players that live here permanently than there are Rams players because of the longer, more enthusiastic connections.

I believe Durant did, but I think it's actually OKC City limits and Edmond Schools.
    it's actually divided between Deer Creek and Edmond school districts.

Lord Helmet Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Luke View Post
    Eduardo Najera has a home in Edmond, right? Maybe he'll be able to get a transfer to the Thunder. That would be cool.
    He sold it a while back. Its a mile from my house. The gates have been chained shut since the summer.

anyway...

This thread is really funny. Its a practice facility. What does it matter where it is? Who cares where the players live? Its about what happens on the court on game day.

Thread Information