Widgets Magazine
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Science Museum Oklahoma

Default Re: Science Museum

Quote Originally Posted by kelroy55 View Post
    or the image on the picture was reversed.
    That's possible. I feel certain that it was the panels themselves were backward. Can't say that holds much stock though, I may have just been wrong the whole time. Wouldn't be the first time.

As for the museum itself, I think they are doing a great job of keeping it "fresh" and updating different parts. My kids love going there and that will be the one thing they miss the most when we move this summer. We've had a pass there for the last 6 years or so.

Quote Originally Posted by BrettM2 View Post
    That's awesome. That means either my memory is way off or I was told wrong; I honestly don't remember at this point. Good to hear that it was real though.
    It is possible they did some replicas later but the sections I saw there said they were originals that were touring several museums across the country, possibly there was some other items with the wall that were replicas.

At some point in the pre-Remington Park past wasn't the name Kilpatrick (or Kirkpatrick) associated with this marvel of exhibitionism?
    (and i mean Exhibitionism in the very best sense of that term. no kidding, no joke)
    "The Omniplex" was even better, then, than the Oklahoma City Museum of Art is now. =)

Translation: Do Not Fail To Visit That Place Over On 50th--Next to The OKC Zoo.
    (i hesitate to say it . . . but the improvements "up there" have even surpassed those in Bricktown)

OK . . . I'll admit it: [The Omniplex/Science Museum] has always been my favorite place to spend time about once a year. Right next to time spent at the Arts Festival Downtown. I hope that the "Japanese" Gravel Garden, next to the Greenhouse hasn't been "improved upon" by removing it. (Shoot . . . Last time I was there, they had a danged ol' japanese concrete sculpture idol from a "sister city" over there in the middle of a whole lotta pebbles and rocks that only needed to be raked . . . never watered! =)

not to mention that model train display, the photography area and the "air/space" collection.

Quote Originally Posted by RadicalModerate View Post
    At some point in the pre-Remington Park past wasn't the name Kilpatrick (or Kirkpatrick) associated with this marvel of exhibitionism?
    (and i mean Exhibitionism in the very best sense of that term. no kidding, no joke)
    "The Omniplex" was even better, then, than the Oklahoma City Museum of Art is now. =)

Translation: Do Not Fail To Visit That Place Over On 50th--Next to The OKC Zoo.
    (i hesitate to say it . . . but the improvements "up there" have even surpassed those in Bricktown)

OK . . . I'll admit it: [The Omniplex/Science Museum] has always been my favorite place to spend time about once a year. Right next to time spent at the Arts Festival Downtown. I hope that the "Japanese" Gravel Garden, next to the Greenhouse hasn't been "improved upon" by removing it. (Shoot . . . Last time I was there, they had a danged ol' japanese concrete sculpture idol from a "sister city" over there in the middle of a whole lotta pebbles and rocks that only needed to be raked . . . never watered! =)

not to mention that model train display, the photography area and the "air/space" collection.
    The planetarium is known as the Kirkpatrick Planetarium.

Default Re: Science Museum Oklahoma

A bunch of renderings from Rand Elliott.

Not sure where the renovation and improvement plans stand:

Blog Entries

By that rendering they're going to paint the omnidome white, huh? So it was red when it was built (wasn't it?), then was painted blue, now will be white...

Ugh, what a waste of money.

Blog Entries

It's not particularly attractive, but I like the idea of lighting features for the building.

There is only so much you can do with solid tilt-up concrete walls.

HangryHippo Guest

They need to do something about the inside of this place. It's looking rundown.

Quote Originally Posted by OnlyOne View Post
    They need to do something about the inside of this place. It's looking rundown.
    Honestly, the whole thing looks like it did when I was 8 years old... No bueno. Totally needs an update.

They are in the process of a $25 million campaign to redo the entire facility, not just the outside.

That's good to see. Be a good place to take my sister and her kids to next time they come to town. My nephew probably wouldn't want to leave, lol.

That's awesome. The OmniPlex was pretty cool back in the '90s but it hasn't changed much since then and has become almost an embarrassment. This will be a much needed update and I'm looking forward to seeing the final product.

Quote Originally Posted by OKCisOK4me View Post
    Honestly, the whole thing looks like it did when I was 8 years old... No bueno. Totally needs an update.
    My 4 year old loves this place, which means that since I moved to Oklahoma I've been in the museum twice a month on average. So I'm something of a connoisseur of Science Museum Oklahoma. And as such, let me say that there have been quite a few modernizations. The art gallery area is always pretty interesting, the upstairs shapes/playground area is cool and has some interesting interactives, there is a brand new interactive physics exhibit across from the tree playground downastairs, (speaking of which) the tree playground itself is pretty rad, etc. Of course large parts still feel like 1983: the space exhibit, the planes and train spaces, the outdoor area near the cafeteria etc. So of course I am excited about the updating, but part of me takes offense at the disparaging tone of the people who say the museum is run down/outdated. It is my obsrvation that this tone comes primarily from people that don't really go there.

That being said, my wish list for SMO is that they get more frequent turnover of IMAX films and that they create a space for hihg-profile travelling exhibits like Bodyworks/Terra Cotta Warriors/Archaeopteryx/etc.

Quote Originally Posted by DoctorTaco View Post
    My 4 year old loves this place, which means that since I moved to Oklahoma I've been in the museum twice a month on average. So I'm something of a connoisseur of Science Museum Oklahoma. And as such, let me say that there have been quite a few modernizations. The art gallery area is always pretty interesting, the upstairs shapes/playground area is cool and has some interesting interactives, there is a brand new interactive physics exhibit across from the tree playground downastairs, (speaking of which) the tree playground itself is pretty rad, etc. Of course large parts still feel like 1983: the space exhibit, the planes and train spaces, the outdoor area near the cafeteria etc. So of course I am excited about the updating, but part of me takes offense at the disparaging tone of the people who say the museum is run down/outdated. It is my obsrvation that this tone comes primarily from people that don't really go there.

That being said, my wish list for SMO is that they get more frequent turnover of IMAX films and that they create a space for hihg-profile travelling exhibits like Bodyworks/Terra Cotta Warriors/Archaeopteryx/etc.
    Last time I was there was in September of 2012. The time before that was in 2004 on a school trip from Arkansas. The time before that was probably the year 2000. Nothing had really changed over all three visits that I noticed. I did notice how run down and outdated some of the exhibits had become though. I am not doubting there has been little things updated over the years but the museum as a whole has a very early '90s feel to it. This renovation will be much welcome.

As for the IMAX, I wonder if it still gets very many visitors? It was built back before first-run films were shown on IMAX and was a huge deal for OKC. I remember there being long waits to go see movies there when it opened. I still think the educational documentaries are cool and enjoy seeing films on it.

Quote Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
    Last time I was there was in September of 2012. The time before that was in 2004 on a school trip from Arkansas. The time before that was probably the year 2000. Nothing had really changed over all three visits that I noticed. I did notice how run down and outdated some of the exhibits had become though. I am not doubting there has been little things updated over the years but the museum as a whole has a very early '90s feel to it. This renovation will be much welcome.

As for the IMAX, I wonder if it still gets very many visitors? It was built back before first-run films were shown on IMAX and was a huge deal for OKC. I remember there being long waits to go see movies there when it opened. I still think the educational documentaries are cool and enjoy seeing films on it.
    It's a dome... So it isn't just a typical IMAX theater.

Quote Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post

Duplicate post

It's actually called an 'Omnidome'. We went and saw a movie about 'Rescuers', about 6 months ago. Last month we went back and they still had the same show on... I asked and they told me they only have two movies a year...like they don't change but every 6 months.. bummer.

Quote Originally Posted by Bellaboo View Post
    It's actually called an 'Omnidome'. We went and saw a movie about 'Rescuers', about 6 months ago. Last month we went back and they still had the same show on... I asked and they told me they only have two movies a year...like they don't change but every 6 months.. bummer.
    When the theater first opened they had more than one movie playing depending on the time of day and they rotated pretty frequently. That's pretty sad if they only have one movie now every six months. They need more movies and better promotion. Is the museum privately owned or is it owned by the city or state?

I would actually like to see this building turned into a world class aviation museum and a new Science Museum built in the C2S area. The new science museum should be built to be better than the one Dallas, OKC can do it!

Quote Originally Posted by Plutonic Panda View Post
    I would actually like to see this building turned into a world class aviation museum and a new Science Museum built in the C2S area. The new science museum should be built to be better than the one Dallas, OKC can do it!
    It won't be moved. plupan. It's in a perfect setting next to the zoo and the zoo won't be moved either.

Quote Originally Posted by ljbab728 View Post
    It won't be moved. plupan. It's in a perfect setting next to the zoo and the zoo won't be moved either.
    I don't think the Zoo should be moved. The Zoo is in a great location. I just think it would be nice to have a brand new science museum in the C2S area. We could build ours to be bigger and better than the one in Dallas. Not only would it spur massive high quality development along with the central park, it would bring more people into downtown and help it become even more of an attraction and if we turned the Kirkpatrick Center into a full world class Aviation museum, it could be one of the largest and have it's own movie theatre dedicated to aviation movies and documentaries. This would be a true destination for hardcore aviation lovers and we would have new world class, amazing science museum located right off of our new I-40 Crosstown. It is a win-win for everyone.

Quote Originally Posted by Plutonic Panda View Post
    I don't think the Zoo should be moved. The Zoo is in a great location. I just think it would be nice to have a brand new science museum in the C2S area. We could build ours to be bigger and better than the one in Dallas. Not only would it spur massive high quality development along with the central park, it would bring more people into downtown and help it become even more of an attraction and if we turned the Kirkpatrick Center into a full world class Aviation museum, it could be one of the largest and have it's own movie theatre dedicated to aviation movies and documentaries. This would be a true destination for hardcore aviation lovers and we would have new world class, amazing science museum located right off of our new I-40 Crosstown. It is a win-win for everyone.
    No, having all of the current museums and the zoo together are perfect. I'm not saying it can't be improved, just that no relocation is necessary.

Well, then we just disagree on that.

Thread Information