Widgets Magazine
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: City Bites

Default Re: City Bites coming to Mustang

People... It's a two way mirror. You cannot see in the bathroom even if you pressed your face against the glass. At best you might see a shadow and nothing more.

Then again if you did that... I would think people would ask you to stop or at least question what you were doing.

Envisions an Alice in wonderland moment and chuckles

I don't care if they can't see in. I would still rather explode.

.oO(I may wanna meet you, but I ain't cleaning up after ya)Oo.

I was in the MWC store a couple of days ago the ladies room has a table that is literally right outside window.

Not to worry.... the lighting is low and the wife says the toliet is not near the window.

Blah!

I do love City Bites cookies. Their pumpkin cookie is to die for! The fact that this will be close by will not be easy on my diet though.

Quote Originally Posted by Buickcarnut View Post
    City Bites...Yawn, go to Jersey Mikes, your taste buds and wallet will thankyou.
    I have to agree with you on this...City Bites seems pretty boring compared to Jersey Mike's, and CB's food seems outrageously overpriced anymore. I feel ripped off every time I eat there.

On a side note, I DO have the recipe for one of their cookies, so check my other posts if anyone is interested.

Is City Bites open, yet?

Quote Originally Posted by PennyQuilts View Post
    Is City Bites open, yet?
    Heard they plan to name the ladies room in yer honor. Of course, that might only be a rumor.

Quote Originally Posted by kevinpate View Post
    Heard they plan to name the ladies room in yer honor. Of course, that might only be a rumor.
    EEWWWW. That would be a waste of glory. I would NOT use their facilities.

Default City Bites having problems?

Just wondering since all this has happened fairly recently (mainly at the one on NW Expwy/MacArthur since that's the one I go to for lunch):

No more whole 12" sandwiches, just 6" ones (this is company-wide and they said it was because they sell more 6" ones than 12" ones, but I still can't quite figure out the logic of how making only 6" sandwiches is saving them money).

Less filling in the sandwiches (wife has also noticed this at the downtown City Bites)

"Gourmet" iced tea choices are gone, just Luzianne (also at the downtown location)

They are now closing at 3 PM instead of 8 PM (not sure if that's company-wide or not)

They are no longer accepting "House Accounts" (I assume some companies/people have standing POs or something with them) as of Jan 1, 2012.

Running out of jalapeno cheese bread at 12:30 PM (this has happened 3 times now, not sure if I want to support them any longer if they can't manage their bread inventory any better than that).

All signs seem to point to having problems making ends meet, just wonder if they can pull it out of the dive in time before they hit the ground (just my opinion, but that's what it seems like is happening). This would suck because they're still my sandwich restaurant of choice here in OKC.

Anybody else notice signs of slippage at any other locations?

Default Re: City Bites having problems?

Last summer my daughter's tennis team went to the location on NW 39th during a tennis tournament. Much to our surprise they had no bread. None at all. I asked how a sandwich shop could have absolutely no bread and they didn't have an answer and didn't really seem to care. We went to Jersey Mike's and they were great. They were very appreciative of our business and gave everyone free cookies. We were a group of 20-30 people and we all left disappointed it City Bites.

I have no knowledge or info about City Bites, but any time a restaurant starts running out of supplies at a conspicuous time of day (like lunch), it can't be a good sign. There was a small sandwich shop next door to our office and, one day, they were out of something crazy, like potato chips for their entrees, or something like that, and I told a coworker "they're on the way out, because they're not buying stock or they can't get credit anymore." Sure enough, next week, they were gone.

Hard not to think the same thing is going on here. When your cutting production, running out of raw materials, and closing earlier and earlier, its just part of a slow death for something like a restaurant.

City Bites has gone downhill rather drastically IMHO over the last several years. We used to go there quite frequently when my kids were younger, but at some point -- seemingly right around the time they spun off their breadmaking to another group -- things started changing. The restaurants didn't seem as well run, they didn't seem clean, just started going downhill, all to the point where we just stopped going. And with a place like Jersey Mike's around, I can't honestly say I miss CB very much at all. JM's is "da bomb" for subs in my book.

Eeeek...I will try to have City Bites this weekend to see if these downgrades have happened at all locations. Very sad.

Jersey Mike's...no thanks. I will always go to the more local sandwich establishment first, but if I must eat at the national chain, JM is at the bottom of my list. Even below Subway.

Jersey Mikes rules on subs but still love the spuds at City Bites

Smile Re: City Bites having problems?

Quote Originally Posted by JayhawkTransplant View Post
    Eeeek...I will try to have City Bites this weekend to see if these downgrades have happened at all locations. Very sad.

Jersey Mike's...no thanks. I will always go to the more local sandwich establishment first, but if I must eat at the national chain, JM is at the bottom of my list. Even below Subway.
    ** SIGH ** No disrespect, but you're letting your bias/bigotry against "chains" (which I have yet to figure out, but that's another issue) keep you from one of the best sub sandwiches *anywhere*. Ingredients are fresh-cut while you wait, *unlike* Subway meats where they're prepackaged in pre-measured units. For me, Jersey Mikes beats Subway up and down the street. Its not even close.

Jersey Mike's is a true Jersey-born sandwich shop, and yes, they're a "chain," but they're also absolutely authentic sandwiches along with their TastyKakes. Please let me encourage you to give JM's a try and judge it on its own merits rather than skipping it because of some predisposition against "chains.' The only person you're hurting is yourself.

used to go to City Bites at least once a week for lunch but then changed jobs and hours and has been at least 10 years since I was in one. Am back to a daytime schedule now and may have to go by there again

Me too.
    Perhaps this is all simply a delayed reaction to/result of the City Bites gaffe regarding yielding to the public pressure to change The Mad Cow burger branch of their fine efforts to whatever it is now.

I used to really like their "California Club"?
    Or was that a different Submariine Sandwich Shop?

California Club and .....the pumpkin cookie!

Quote Originally Posted by SoonerDave View Post
    ** SIGH ** No disrespect, but you're letting your bias/bigotry against "chains" (which I have yet to figure out, but that's another issue) keep you from one of the best sub sandwiches *anywhere*. Ingredients are fresh-cut while you wait, *unlike* Subway meats where they're prepackaged in pre-measured units. For me, Jersey Mikes beats Subway up and down the street. Its not even close.

Jersey Mike's is a true Jersey-born sandwich shop, and yes, they're a "chain," but they're also absolutely authentic sandwiches along with their TastyKakes. Please let me encourage you to give JM's a try and judge it on its own merits rather than skipping it because of some predisposition against "chains.' The only person you're hurting is yourself.
    Nice to hear about their fresh-cut meats, but not so impressive to me, because I am not a big meat-eater. I'm not a vegetarian, but I LOVE the veggie sandwich from City Bites, for example.

I've been to Jersey Mike's twice. The second time was with 6 of my coworkers, and we all mutually decided we'd rather go to Subway than JM's. Sorry, it's just an opinion. I wouldn't ever write my opinion about someplace I had not tried.

About the local thing--again, just my opinion. I'd rather go to City Bites, Someplace Else, or Lee's Sandwiches before anywhere else. If I do a chain, it's Jimmy John's or Yello Sub.

Lee's is a chain.

Quote Originally Posted by chuck johnson View Post
    Lee's is a chain.
    LOL and so it goes I suppose its not relevant that City Bites, on its corporate website, defines ITSELF as a "chain." Oh, well, as I said, I don't get the "chain" bigotry, but I guess I don't have to, either To each their own.

Ha! Well, don't I look smart--I didn't realize Lee's was so widespread.

I have absolutely no problems with chains. I eat at them frequently, SoonerDave. Jimmy John's is close to my office, and I go there a lot.

I'd rather go to a good sandwich shop that is unique to OKC or to the region, though. Especially if their product is, in my opinion, better. Surely you understand that?

[QUOTE=JayhawkTransplant;487971]Ha! Well, don't I look smart--I didn't realize Lee's was so widespread.

I have absolutely no problems with chains. I eat at them frequently, SoonerDave. Jimmy John's is close to my office, and I go there a lot.

[quote]

Fair enough - you had just said that when you "had" to eat a national chain, JM's was at the bottom of your list. I took that as an implicit indictment.

Quote Originally Posted by JayhawkTransplant View Post
    I'd rather go to a good sandwich shop that is unique to OKC or to the region, though. Especially if their product is, in my opinion, better. Surely you understand that?
    I surely understand the latter - voting for the better/preferred product with your dollars. I don't personally agree with arbitrarily going to any particular business just because its "local." If you're saying you like a regional place because they are the only ones to offer a particular kind of product, okay, I buy that, too. In general, though, better/best product wins my $ regardless of where the incorporation papers were signed. Even if they're incorporated on Mars, the chains employ local folks, buy city utilities, pay local sales taxes, etc., so the city/community still benefit. Many franchise operations are owned by "local" folks, too, so they get hurt as well on the chains-are-inherently-bad concept.

Thread Information