Widgets Magazine
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Meat House

Default The Meat House

It's nice to finally have something like this in Edmond. Great meat selection, prepared foods, cheeses, and a whole lot else. Best of all, most of it is local.

Default Re: The Meat House

They have some really good meats. I was also excited to see they carry Boars Head meats and cheeses. It's the only place in Edmond to get it.

It's a national operation but I believe the one in Edmond is a franchise.

The grocers in the metro labored in mediocrity for decades and now suddenly have tons of new competition from Sunflower, Whole Foods, the new upscale grocery being built in Edmond and now this place. Obviously, there is a lot of pent-up demand for better products and it's taken entirely new businesses to bring them to the area.

http://www.themeathouse.com/Home.aspx

I figured it was a franchise. It just has the look. It's far too upscale to just be some mom and pop butcher shop. I don't really care. It's just nice to have a good meat market here in Edmond, within a few miles of my house. They have lots of great local products, and although very small, some nice produce. I bought some heirloom tomatoes there that were delicious. I also like that they sell breads from the Prairie Thunder Bakery. I love their stuff, but they're just too far away to make it practical to just stop by for a loaf of bread.

If there was a local meat market here in Edmond, I'd be happy to shop there.

By local, I meant local products (meats, veggies, cheeses, bread, etc.). Went by there again last night for some of the cordon bleu and picked up the white balsamic vinegar that they've been out of for a while now.

Debz- completely agree on the Boars Head, love their roast beef.

Edmond for a while had a Cusack Meats shop in Spring Creek, but it was just a few cuts of steaks and that was it, if I remember correctly.

6. Default Re: The Meat House

Went in, VERY VERY expensive prices... It's not going ot be a cheap shopping trip. We dropped in and the prices were VERY expensive. Locally grown beef prices this place is NOT!

What were you expecting? Their beef prices were on par with what you would pay at Whole Foods, and less than what you'll pay at Homeland. There is a Wal Mart across the street, you can pick you up a nice 3/4" strip there.

Went in again this afternoon and picked up a few things. Yeah it's a little expensive, but you get what you pay for. Bought some jalapeno bacon. I've been looking for that locally for about 2 months and had not found it until now.

Debzkidz,
    Jalapeno bacon? I missed that. I enjoyed the store but WOW, I love jalapenos and eat lots of bacon, so I will go back Thursday when I'm in the area. Thanks for the tip.
    C. T.
    Quote Originally Posted by Debzkidz View Post
    Went in again this afternoon and picked up a few things. Yeah it's a little expensive, but you get what you pay for. Bought some jalapeno bacon. I've been looking for that locally for about 2 months and had not found it until now.

We tried and really enjoyed the ground beef. It isn't certified organic but is supposed to be grass fed and hormone and antibiotic free. Based on the absence of adverse reaction this seems reasonable. Much cheaper than what we have been paying and especially for never frozen product. Hope to try some more things when time permits but too far really for frequent shopping.

11. Default Re: The Meat House

What did I expect? We being that this is one of the largest BEEF producing states in the country. Reasonable prices for one, Whole Foods prices are out of line as well. You can understand the higher meat prices in a state that doesn't produce alot of the product and it must be shipped in. However when it's grown locally and they want a price that is same as a location that must truck it all in. Yeah, NOT GOOD pricing. I'll keep my money, drive out to the country. Buy from local rancher.

Quote Originally Posted by demoman View Post
    What did I expect? We being that this is one of the largest BEEF producing states in the country. Reasonable prices for one, Whole Foods prices are out of line as well. You can understand the higher meat prices in a state that doesn't produce alot of the product and it must be shipped in. However when it's grown locally and they want a price that is same as a location that must truck it all in. Yeah, NOT GOOD pricing. I'll keep my money, drive out to the country. Buy from local rancher.
    Of course you're going to get better prices when you buy a side of beef from a local rancher, but you're also going to have freeze/store it. You're not going to be able to get the cut you need/want for a specific meal and its most likely not going to be as high quality of meat.

Every year I get as much beef as I want (for free) from one of Bob Funk's Express Cattle, it's not even close to the same as what you get from the Meat House. I'd rather pay Meat House prices, than eat the Express beef for free.

We tried some of their premium beef hamburger patties. They are ground rib-eye and tenderloin. They were wonderful.

I went yesterday (Thursday) and picked up some jalapeno bacon, freshly made chicken cordon bleu, and andouille sausage. Enjoyed the chicken cordon bleu as well as one link of sausage for dinner last night, both excellent. I'm not sure what to use the bacon for. I think I will have an onion fried bacon cheeseburger. Then maybe I will come up something that will emphasize the bacon a little more. By the way, the onion fried bacon cheeseburger is what I always make at home, and not a slam at Tucker's or anybody that commented on the fact that Tucker's didn't have bacon. I don't always have bacon on my cheeseburger when I eat out.
    C. T.

I'm just cooking my bacon for breakfast tomorrow morning. I love anything spicy with breakfast. I had some jalapeno bacon with french toast recently while visiting New Mexico. The combo of sweet, salty and spicy was delicious.

This place is going to bankrupt me. Their ribeyes are absolutely fabulous. We had bought from them a few times and were more than satisfied with them, wifey bought some ribeyes from Crest a couple of weeks ago, and the comparison between the taste and tenderness were light years behind the Meat House's steaks.

I know the feeling. I have to make myself not go in that place, unless I want to drop some major $$$. But it's so delicious.

Have you tried the steak tips yet? They're the best thing I've had so far and are only $10 lb.

Quote Originally Posted by BlackmoreRulz View Post
    This place is going to bankrupt me. Their ribeyes are absolutely fabulous. We had bought from them a few times and were more than satisfied with them, wifey bought some ribeyes from Crest a couple of weeks ago, and the comparison between the taste and tenderness were light years behind the Meat House's steaks.
    Have you ever brought PRIME grade meat before? Can't get it at Crest, not sure about Meat House but your in another world when you buy Prime rated beef.

Metro,
    Yes, the Meat House has prime beef, I purchased a prime ribeye last week and WOW, what a good steak. It's about $10 per pound higher than choice, but since I don't eat steak daily, well worth the price. I just would go broke eating it daily. By the way, Rhett's has prime also.
    C. T.
    Quote Originally Posted by metro View Post
    Have you ever brought PRIME grade meat before? Can't get it at Crest, not sure about Meat House but your in another world when you buy Prime rated beef.

Quote Originally Posted by metro
    Can't get it at Crest
    the southside crest carries prime beef. -M

Quote Originally Posted by metro View Post
    The Homeland at Bryant and Danforth sell prime beef that is 21 day dry aged in house. I believe you can get prime beef at the butcher counter at the Crest in Edmond. Not certain, because I don't go over there very often. But you really can't beat the stuff from the Meat House.

Quote Originally Posted by mmm View Post
    the southside crest carries prime beef. -M
    Yes, but not at the majority of their stores. Definitely not at 23rd and Meridian.

The Meat House in Edmond has permanently closed.

Lots of people had gift certificates and are now very upset.

wow... according to facebook, they closed january 5th. i'd have to imagine that more than a few people who received gift certificates for christmas didn't get around to using them yet.

i don't make it up to danforth often, but i liked the store. i'd have to imagine that inflation and increased competition didn't do them any favors.

Thread Information