Widgets Magazine
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: OKC Icon Coits for Sale

Default Re: OKC Icon Coits for Sale

As a kid, my family used to buy our Christmas tree from that Coits.

Then get the rare treat of a frosty mug of their root beer.

Sad.. a car wash?.. how nice

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    As a kid, my family used to buy our Christmas tree from that Coits.

Then get the rare treat of a frosty mug of their root beer.
    My dad did the same thing and we continued the tradition when we were kids until they shut Coits down.

Photo of the old at I-44 and Penn from warreg88:

Ugh hard to look at. I grew up out by Shawnee so family trips into the city were a pretty big deal when I was a kid and we'd always ask to go to Coit's. Chili Cheese Coney, Those tater rounds and a frosty root beer mug. Really sucks.

Quote Originally Posted by Bullbear View Post
    Sad.. a car wash?.. how nice
    Yeah, I apparently need to get into the car wash, storage locker, Little Caesar's, nail salon, or donut business, those seem to be going up all over the place, and apparently making money since they keep building the damn things like crazy...

I think you guys are hanging on to memories & not what the actual product provided. Coits was downright disgusting, and served small portions at high prices. The root beer was even bad. There is a definitive reason why it went out of business, and that is because it sucked.

I ate Coits more than my fare share as a kid, but when I got it when I was older it made my stomach sick even though I was barely able to get it past my mouth.

I can say the last time I ate there a number of years ago the food was terrible and the property was really shabby.

Root beer was great, though.

Blog Entries

We lived by the Portland location from 86 to 93 and the food was fine then - not great but plenty good to frequent for breakfast, a burger, hot dog or whatever on the weekend. It did go downhill for sure in the years approaching it's closing. Still an iconic place in my opinion and my memories of it are very positive.

just saw something on facebook saying that coit's might be getting a second life as a food truck... -M

Saw the same post, apparently they are out at the state fair this year.

Quote Originally Posted by bille View Post
    Saw the same post, apparently they are out at the state fair this year.
    What a great idea! Especially with the temperatures for this year's fair - perfect combo.
    Those saying Coit's root beer was not good must not be root beer lovers. Toward the end, it was about the only thing that was still good as always. They will do well with a food truck with their hot dogs and root beer.

The only thing I miss other than the places themselves is the root beer.

If they could keep that alive through a food truck, I'd be very happy.

Food Truck Coit's Food Truck

Coit's is alive and well once more, in food truck form! They post where they are going to be on Facebook and Twitter. I caught up with them at NW 39th and Tulsa today, and man, talk about nostalgia... Even the new OKC Blazers were there handing out free tickets!

And yes, I had a root beer!

Ironically, I took this photo today of their old location at I-44 and Penn.

Car wash under construction:

The car wash that was built on the old Coit's land at I-44 and Penn has been abandoned for a while.

But the property was recently sold and it will be converted into a Watershed Car Wash, which is planning a bunch more OKC-area locations.

I'll be grateful when they finally pull down that atrocious painted-over old Coits sign. I can't believe the city has allowed that for a better part of a decade.

Between this, the Braum's across the street repaving, the Casey's taking over of the gas station and the apartments (not to mention the 39th streetscape project) there sure is a lot of updating going on in this immediate area all at once. Good to see.

^

The District Hotel (formerly the Habana Inn) continues a methodical renovation. There is also a new bar going in on 39th.

And the I-44/Penn area has been targeted as part of the MAPS 4 beautification project.

I believe that there is a car wash at NW 23rd & Independence that was a Victory Car Wash that is also being remodeled. I think it may also be a Watershed property.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    I'll be grateful when they finally pull down that atrocious painted-over old Coits sign. I can't believe the city has allowed that for a better part of a decade.

OMG that 2nd picture is horrifying. Was the lot really in that bad of shape, I cannot recall (though seeing zero rebar I could imagine that i was)?

Quote Originally Posted by Brett View Post
    I believe that there is a car wash at NW 23rd & Independence that was a Victory Car Wash that is also being remodeled. I think it may also be a Watershed property.
    It is. I pass this twice a day. They were doing a lot of concrete demo work and installing vacuums last time I went by. Glad both of these properties are getting a makeover.

Thread Information