Widgets Magazine
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: OKC Icon Coits for Sale

1. Default Re: OKC Icon Coits for Sale

Drove by the old Coit's on Western today and that building has gone through some renovations. Definitely has more of a Hispanic look to it now but no signs posted to say what it was going to be.

Default Re: OKC Icon Coits for Sale

I sure miss their Root Beer. It was a liquid dessert.

Quote Originally Posted by Mel View Post
    I sure miss their Root Beer. It was a liquid dessert.
    Mel,
    I don't drink soft drinks, I would say none, never except when I went to Coit's I always enjoyed their root beer. I started drinking it for free when I was whatever age that they gave you the tiny little frosted mug. It was in the mid/late 40's.
    C. T.

I would get a glass of water to drink with the food and save the RB for afterwards. I gave up soft drinks years ago. Last time I tasted a coke it felt like it was burning my tongue.

I would get a glass of water to drink with the food and save the RB for afterwards. I gave up soft drinks years ago. Last time I tasted a coke it felt like it was burning my tongue.
    Mel,
    The closest thing I have had to a soft drink (since the early 70's) is cider at a pub in England. I didn't realize that what I thought was a "cask ale", was actually cask cider. I'm just not a sweets person, I gave them up at the same time I gave up soft drinks. Now, I eat and drink all the other things that are bad for me, but no sweets.
    C. T.

6. Default Re: OKC Icon Coits for Sale

Whoever has the recipe for their root beer could make a fortune bottling and selling it.

I don't smoke, I can take-or-leave alcohol, but if I had to admit to one vice, it's a tall glass with ice and a Coca-Cola. Even better if it's the Mexican stuff with real sugar.

Quote Originally Posted by MadMonk View Post
    Whoever has the recipe for their root beer could make a fortune bottling and selling it.

I don't smoke, I can take-or-leave alcohol, but if I had to admit to one vice, it's a tall glass with ice and a Coca-Cola. Even better if it's the Mexican stuff with real sugar.
    MadMonk,
    Odd that you say "even if it's the Mexican stuff with real sugar". That's real Coca Cola, the way it was until what thirty years ago? Also, if you are ever in Tulsa, stop at Weber's, they have the root beer and the recipe. Coit's was Weber's when I was growing up, and even though Coit's bought it in 1952, they didn't change the name until 1959. And the root beer they sold was of course Weber's.
    C. T.

8. Default Re: OKC Icon Coits for Sale

Quote Originally Posted by ctchandler View Post
    Also, if you are ever in Tulsa, stop at Weber's, they have the root beer and the recipe. Coit's was Weber's when I was growing up, and even though Coit's bought it in 1952, they didn't change the name until 1959. And the root beer they sold was of course Weber's.
    C. T.
    They are serving Weber's Root Beer in the bottle at Mighty Dog just south of NW 23rd on Portland.

Quote Originally Posted by OK BBQ Eater Anonymous View Post
    Drove by the old Coit's on Western today and that building has gone through some renovations. Definitely has more of a Hispanic look to it now but no signs posted to say what it was going to be.
    There were signs up at least a few weeks ago that it was going to become a Hispanic-themed bakery. It looked like someone had put a BUNCH of work into it, too!!!!

I, too, miss Coit's, tho. When I was a kid, going to the drive-in and hitting the OrderMatic button off one of those backlit menus was just larger than life. I know, I know, Sonic has the contemporary version of it, but...it....just....ain't...the....same...

Where else could you get a cheeseburger or wonderfully heart stopping chili dog with delicious root beer AND a Christmas tree all in one stop. I road trip up 66 to Tulsa every now and then. I will have to try out Webbers.

Where else could you get a cheeseburger or wonderfully heart stopping chili dog with delicious root beer AND a Christmas tree all in one stop. I road trip up 66 to Tulsa every now and then. I will have to try out Webbers.
    Mel,
    I don't know about their food, just their root beer, but I suspect the food is probably similar since Coit's was originally Weber's.
    C. T.

I will defiantly have to make it up to Webber's in Tulsa to see. Does Webbers use Schwab's?

I will defiantly have to make it up to Webber's in Tulsa to see. Does Webbers use Schwab's?
    Mel,
    I don't even believe they served hot dogs, I think that was a Coit's addition. And of course, this is about seventy years later, so they probably serve them now, but who knows if they're Schwab's. Maybe somebody will verify/correct my memory. Anyway, I can't answer your question. I will see what I can find with google.
    C. T.

Mel,
    Looks like they barely pay homage to hot dogs, since they have two choices (three if you count the corn dog), unlike the ten or twelve served at Coit's.
    C. T.
    (918) 742-1082
    3817 S. Peoria Avenue
    Tulsa, OK 74105
    PHONE IN ORDERS WELCOME Our Hours are:
    Monday - Saturday 11 a.m. - 8 p.m.
    Sunday 11 a.m. - 5 p.m.

Burgers
    All our burgers are made with 100% Fresh Ground Chuck Beef.
    They come with your choice of Mayo, Mustard, Ketchup, Onions and Pickles. Lettuce and/or Tomatoes are $0.35 extra

Small Hamburger $2.10
    Small Double Hamburger $3.50
    Small Cheeseburger $2.40
    Small Double Cheeseburger $4.00

1/4 pound Hamburger $3.90
    1/4 pound Cheeseburger $4.20

Big 1/2 pound Hamburger $7.00
    Big 1/2 pound Cheeseburger $7.60

Chili Burgers
    Small Chili Hamburger $3.45
    Small Chili Cheeseburger $3.75
    1/4 pound Chili Hamburger $4.75
    1/4 pound Chili Cheeseburger $5.05
    1/2 pound Chili Hamburger $7.75
    1/2 pound Chili Cheeseburger $8.40

Sausage Burgers
    1/3 lb. Sausage Hamburger $5.25
    1/3 lb. Sausage Cheeseburger $5.55
    2/3 lb. Sausage Hamburger $8.60
    2/3 lb. Sausage Cheeseburger $9.25
    Soft Drinks
    Small (12 oz.) $1.55
    Medium (16 oz.) $1.75
    Large (32 oz.) $2.50

Side Items
    Tater Tots Sm $2.75 Lg $5.65
    Fresh Cut French Fries Sm $2.25 Lg $4.35
    Home-made Onion Rings Sm $3.65 Lg $6.80

Sandwiches
    Chicken Sandwich $5.75
    Fish Sandwich $5.00
    Steak Sandwich $5.00

Desserts
    Root Beer Float
    Small (12 oz.) $2.95 Medium (16 oz.) $4.50 Large (32 oz.) $7.50
    Root Beer Freeze
    Small (12 oz.) $3.75 Medium (16 oz.) $5.00 Large (32 oz.) $8.00

Coney/Chili
    Coney $2.75
    Cheese Coney $3.05
    Corn Dog $2.80

Kitty's Chicken
    Kitty's Chicken $7.50
    Kitty's Chicken w/ Fries $8.50
    Kid's Chicken $4.00
    Kid's Chicken w/ Fries $4.50
    Kitty's Chicken (Pound) $14.50

3817 S. Peoria Avenue, Tulsa, OK 74105 - (918) 742-1082 - PHONE -IN ORDERS WELCOME

Gourmet Sodas / Gourmet Soda
    A Oklahoma Rootbeer restaurant where you can Buy Rootbeer Online and products such as Bottled Drinks, Gourmet Beverages, Gourmet Sodas and Root Beer Bottles. Buy Root Beer Online and check out our Bottled Drink, Gourmet Beverage, Gourmet Soda, Oklahoma Root Beer and Root Beer Bottle line of products.
    Links | Gourmet Rootbeer | Gourmet Root Beer | Buy Rootbeer
    | Rootbeer Bottles | Rootbeer Bottle | Tulsa Gourmet Rootbeer | Tulsa Gourmet Root Beer
    Tulsa Gourmet Soft Drinks | Tulsa Gourmet Soft Drink
    Tulsa Web Design by Ambitious Web

Sorry for the huge post, I tried to attach it but was having trouble, so I just copy/pasted it in my post.
    C. T.

Thank you C.T.

Quote Originally Posted by MadMonk View Post

Pops in Arcadia has A LOT of different root/birch beer, sarsaparilla, etc. as well as other sodas not available unless at specialty stores. Fortune-making? eh, not really due to demand is so low but that's not to say they aren't extremely marked up. I was shocked to see six packs selling for $10.

fwiw extracts can be easily purchased and you can recreate your own root beer drink at home.

We have a micobrew tasting room about a mile from our house out here in SE Aurora that also brews their own root beer. Need to go get a growler of it some time. I know that Belle Isle Brewing at 50 Penn had their own root beer at one time.

I used to buy a gallon of Coit's Root Beer when I visited the City. One time they gave me a gallon not in the usual plastic jug but in a glass carboy. On the side of the bottle was a label for root beer extract produced somewhere in Texas. Yes, Coit's was made from a commercial concentrate. Unfortunately, I no longer have this bottle and the information for the supplier.

Isn't Webber's located in that cool little part of Tulsa just south of the Philbrooke? That area with all the little shops and restaurants and that old radio or TV tower?

Sorry . . . I somehow missed C.T.'s post mentioning Peoria. That's the area to which I was referring.

Quote Originally Posted by RadicalModerate View Post
    Isn't Webber's located in that cool little part of Tulsa just south of the Philbrooke? That area with all the little shops and restaurants and that old radio or TV tower?

Sorry . . . I somehow missed C.T.'s post mentioning Peoria. That's the area to which I was referring.
    Yeah, this is located at 38th and Peoria and the "cool part" of Brookside (meaning that district) ends around 31st. So, it is close, but not in the middle.

Blog Entries

I noticed the Coits location on Penn has been torn down...maybe I have missed other threads but what is happening there? Maybe just clearing it knowing that will be done at some point anyway and will make it more maketable.

Quote Originally Posted by okatty View Post
    I noticed the Coits location on Penn has been torn down...maybe I have missed other threads but what is happening there? Maybe just clearing it knowing that will be done at some point anyway and will make it more maketable.
    Yeah, it was recently sold and I talked to the new owner who said it will likely be a car wash.

I was too depressed about it to post.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    Yeah, it was recently sold and I talked to the new owner who said it will likely be a car wash.

I was too depressed about it to post.

Blog Entries

Yes, I agree with that Pete. Great iconic place. We lived in Bush Hills area when my kids were little and our Saturday morning routine was to go to the Coits on Portland for breakfast most weekends. Was a fun place and knew all the people there by name (Joe, in particular). Good memories!

Thread Information