Widgets Magazine
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Smokey's / King's BBQ

Northwest OKC Smokey's / King's BBQ

This has become my favorite BBQ joint in town. It helps they are just a couple blocks from my house. I just wish that when they took over Smokey's that they changed the name. I was hesitant to eat here because of all the bad things I've heard about them. Then when they moved close to me I checked them out on Urban Spoon. I noticed they changed owners so figured I'd try them out and glad I did. I know it's not BBQ, but their chicken fried steak is the best I've ever had. You can cut it with a fork it's so tender. Anyway, I just wanted to pass work along that this isn't the same horrible Smokey's it used to be. If you haven't tried it before or had a bad experience you should try again. They will be open for Thanksgiving and are selling whole smoked turkeys for cheap.
    http://www.facebook.com/pages/Smokey...r/290111113766 That's their Facebook.
    I've lurked here awhile and tried a lot of the places mentioned in this forum and glad I did! There's been some amazing places. I don't know how anyone can eat chain when there's so much cheaper, better, and more friendly local places. I'm just glad I can return the favor on mentioning great places to eat!

Default Re: Smokey's BBQ

I've eaten there a few times. . .pretty tasty!! Of course, the "best q" is pretty subjective (as we have seen in past discussions!). If you're in the area, I think it's certainly worth a stop to see if it tickles your fancy! Their hours are good
    as well (unlike Holley's. . .great food, but hours are limited).

Thanks for the heads up! I'm going to try this out soon as I live in the hood. I visited their website and appreciate the fact the place is run by chefs and that they're trying to do something different than every other BBQ place in town.

I ate there about 3 months ago and the bbq was very average however the catfish was beyond horrible. Straight outta the freezer and into the microwave.

The owners were very generous when we asked for a civic donation, and it was much appreciated. However, the last couple of times we have been in there to dine, it has been too warm to really enjoy being there.

After your suggestion, I picked up some 'cue for my family. The brisket was very good and the ribs were simply superb. Loved the sauces, too, although it is borderline criminal to put sauce on those ribs.

As a side, we got the beans and they were delish.

The place is very well decorated with good service and ambiance.

I will definitely return.

Bringing this thread back from the dead, apparently, but there's been a sign up for Smokey's at NW 40th/May for months now on an empty lot. Starting to get overgrown, wondering if anybody knows if they're actually going to move there? I'd kind of like to try them, but since their current location is right by the 23rd/Portland clusterf*** construction, not going to anytime soon.

No building permit or movement at that N. May property, so I don't know what is going on.

I reached out to them on FB and never heard back.

9. Default Re: Smokey's BBQ

Not 100% sure about this, but I think the Facebook page is run/abandoned by a previous owner. My barber next door told me last year that there was a new owner.

Cool, thanks y'all, we'll just wait until 23rd/Portland is sane again and try them there. Interesting that there's no permit on the property, it's fenced off and signs promoting Smokey's are up, guess it's just wishful thinking on their part...

11. Default Re: Smokey's BBQ

Walked by Smokey's at 23rd and Portland today and saw a sign on the door which read: "Smokey's will be closed till further notice. I would like to thank all my patrons. It has been a rewarding experience. Thank you."

Oh well, guess I can mark them off the list now, thanks for the info.

13. Default Re: Smokey's BBQ

My barber next door said his business has been down by at least 50% during the Portland/23rd construction. Hopefully this is just a temporary closure, I really liked this place.

14. Default Re: Smokey's BBQ

Wondered if the construction was hurting them.... I've only been there a couple of times under this ownership but the food was good quality.

Quote Originally Posted by zefferoni View Post
    My barber next door said his business has been down by at least 50% during the Portland/23rd construction. Hopefully this is just a temporary closure, I really liked this place.
    Here's what the note on Facebook says, sounds kinda permanent, but who knows...

"For personal reasons I am closing Smokey's BBQ effective 11-8-16. I would like to thank all the loyal customers who made it a great experience. I have enjoyed getting to know all of you. Thanks again. Jerry"

16. Default Re: Smokey's BBQ

Saw a FOR SALE sign on the door today.

And to add insult to injury, the once proposed location at NW 40th & May will now be a Take 5 oil change place:

Thanks for the update, Pete, depressing as it is, noticed that the Smokey's sign on the fence went down pretty much right after it closed.

Blog Entries

Wish we had a Cajun Stop like the one in Houston, TX:

https://www.yelp.com/biz_photos/the-...stop-houston-2

Excellent food with moderate prices; you can taste the Gulf in that seafood.

That seems to be the case in OKC for BBQ restaurants all too often. It seems you find a smaller BBQ restaurant with great food, get used to it and then. . . without warning, the go belly up!

The guy that used to run the Crocketts BBQ in Midwest City did that. He resurfaced on Classen in the early 2000's under a different name, and disappeared yet again.

21. Default Re: Smokey's BBQ

Noticed tonight there's a new name on the door, and saw people doing some work inside. I think the name was Hero's Barbeque. I'll ask my barber this Saturday, he seems to know everything going on in that building.

22. Default Re: Smokey's BBQ

I was off in the name, it's King's. They aim to be open next Friday.

Good to know, may eventually try them, but not holding my breath they'll actually be *good* BBQ...

24. Default Re: Smokey's BBQ

Quote Originally Posted by zefferoni View Post
    I was off in the name, it's King's. They aim to be open next Friday.
    I wonder if it's the same people that have the King's Catering and Cuisine that went in where Oklahoma Ribber used to be on South May?

I checked their website and see they had closed down their restaurant to focus on catering but that they are reopening the restaurant again soon. Did not say anything about a change of location though.

Quote Originally Posted by Laramie View Post
    Wish we had a Cajun Stop like the one in Houston, TX:

https://www.yelp.com/biz_photos/the-...stop-houston-2

Excellent food with moderate prices; you can taste the Gulf in that seafood.
    Have you been to Cajun King?

https://www.yelp.com/biz/cajun-king-oklahoma-city

Thread Information