Widgets Magazine
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ruth Chris and REI

Default Ruth Chris and REI

Strange combination but I have been hearing tons of REI commercials and seeing tons of Ruth Chris commercials on TV. Isn't this usually a sign they are interested in the area or am I just wishful thinking?

Default Re: Ruth Chris and REI

They've been playing them for over a year, probably a national buy.

More chain stores. Hooray.

4. Default Re: Ruth Chris and REI

Quote Originally Posted by Midtowner View Post
    More chain stores. Hooray.
    Took the words right out of my mouth. Or, took the keyboard right out of my hands. I agree, Mid.

Oh for the love of gawd... you guys are SERIOUSLY complaining about a Ruth Chris'....

You guys have gone so far to one side that you have lost your objectivity. Just because it's local, doesn't mean it's better... And, the truth is most people I know that visit OKC from other places are usually amazed at how many local places we have here already. It's a good thing, but to AUTOMATICALLY groan because it's a chain is just stupid.

Quote Originally Posted by WichitaSooner View Post
    Just because it's local, doesn't mean it's better....
    ...in your opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by Midtowner View Post
    ...in your opinion.
    So I guess you'd rather see a mackie mcnear's opened rather than a chain that sells PRIME steaks... lol.

I definitely wouldn't complain if we had an REI.

My wife and I didn't have such a good experience at Ruth Chris in DC.........not sure if i'd ever go back.

But it was lobster, not steak....

I've heard for years that Ruth Chris has been on the list of national stores/concepts that Aubrey McClendon has been trying to woo to come to Oklahoma City. In addition, I've heard California Pizza Kitchen and REI, probably, too. But these are just rumors, and not anything firm. Its all secondhand information.

11. Default Re: Ruth Chris and REI

any chance REI could be the mystery retailer next to whole foods and anthopolige?

So I guess you'd rather see a mackie mcnear's opened rather than a chain that sells PRIME steaks... lol.
    I'd rather see Red Prime than Ruth's Chris.

Compare like things which would actually compete against each other.

I bet Fleming's would come before Ruth's Chris, especially since Tulsa has one. But, there is a Ruth's Chris in Rogers, Arkansas, so I could just be blowing smoke. I remember reading a while back that CPK was interested in OKC.

REI would be fun.

14. Default Re: Ruth Chris and REI

Its amazing how people could get such a hard on for whole foods (quality chain store) but stick up thier nose at a quality restaurant chain. Landing these store just proves how far OKC has come. Get over yourselves, no one is forcing you to go.

Would be just fine with a Ruth's Chris around for special occasions and when I need to get out of the doghouse

Quote Originally Posted by ChargerAg View Post
    any chance REI could be the mystery retailer next to whole foods and anthopolige?
    I am wondering this same thing! I would LOVE to have an REI here!

Quote Originally Posted by worthy cook View Post
    Its amazing how people could get such a hard on for whole foods (quality chain store) but stick up thier nose at a quality restaurant chain. Landing these store just proves how far OKC has come. Get over yourselves, no one is forcing you to go.
    The problem with large chains is that they can and are willing to not only pay more in rent, thus getting prime space and driving rents up, they are also able to sustain losses much longer. They have massive ad money and drown out smaller, local restaurants. This is all more than fair and a result of a free market. There is absolutely nothing wrong with any of this.

However, we should be supporting and celebrating local grown talent and business by choice. We have to ask ourselves if we're building a city just like any other with all the same options or building a city intrinsically unique to OKC. Outside chains definitely can serve as anchors and stimulate investment, but we can't forget the the local little guys and favor them as much as possible.

I lived in one of the great food capitals of the world, San Francisco for almost a decade. According to Urbanspoon, it has 4,000 eating establishments in an area 1/12 the size of OKC and 1/4th the size of Norman. Less than 5% are chains, the rest local. You can build a great and dynamic food scene when the residents decide to make it so. I've eaten at many chains and will continue to do so, but only after I can't find a local option.

Driving up rents and commanding better developments is desperately needed in OKC, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Spartan View Post
    Driving up rents and commanding better developments is desperately needed in OKC, though.
    Agreed, but I just hope we don't lose our character in the process. It's been since I first left that the names of all these neighborhoods and districts are being recognized. If they all have the same restaurants and businesses, they lose some of their uniqueness in my opinion.

Count me as one who thinks OKC would be better off without a Ruth's Chris. If a Ruth's Chris is coming to the OKC area, it needs to be no further north than Moore.

As it is, OKC has 5 prime steakhouses: Mickey Mantle's, Red Prime, Ranch Steakhouse, Mahogany, and Opus, with Boulevard being a sixth located in Edmond. Considering the average people can't afford this kind of meal more than 1 to 5 times a year, this particular market is already saturated. Furthermore, OKC's medium to high end restaurants need to be more valued, and that won't occur if the market continues to be dilluted. Restaurants city-wide need to start having busier nights during the weekdays (apart from pharmaceutical companies) and reservations need to become a bigger deal. OKC also needs to focus on more high-end restaurants that are NOT steakhouses. I know this is the south, and I know we are steak and potatoes kind of people (and working in the industry, I hope that never changes), but we need to take more risks and see more restaurants with chef-inspired cuisine.

Now if Opus were to go out of business (which seems like a distinct possibility in the next 2 to 4 years), then maybe. But I'd rather another Mahogany open up than a Ruth's Chris since Mahogany is a local chain, and I'd also take Fleming's over Ruth's Chris. None of those three restaurants, however, are going to drive one of the things that I would most like to see develop in this city, and that's a solid and pervasive wine-culture.

21. Default Re: Ruth Chris and REI

I've eaten at three Ruth's Chris locations and didn't feel any of them were worth the price or hype. The most recent one we ate at was in Kansas City at the County Club Plaza. We've tried it twice and left really annoyed both times. So much so our meal was compt the last time because the steak was not medium rare and they forgot our cocktail order. They can come here, but I'll pass on ever going. However, I would like an REI.

Did I miss it in this thread? What is REI?

Quote Originally Posted by UnclePete View Post
    Did I miss it in this thread? What is REI?
    Recreational Equipment Inc. It's an outdoorsy type store.

Oh for the love of gawd... you guys are SERIOUSLY complaining about a Ruth Chris'....

You guys have gone so far to one side that you have lost your objectivity. Just because it's local, doesn't mean it's better... And, the truth is most people I know that visit OKC from other places are usually amazed at how many local places we have here already. It's a good thing, but to AUTOMATICALLY groan because it's a chain is just stupid.
    +1.

Quote Originally Posted by Teo9969 View Post
    As it is, OKC has 5 prime steakhouses: Mickey Mantle's, Red Prime, Ranch Steakhouse, Mahogany, and Opus, with Boulevard being a sixth located in Edmond. Considering the average people can't afford this kind of meal more than 1 to 5 times a year, this particular market is already saturated.
    Six prime steakhouses in metro OKC (assuming you've listed them all) doesn't exactly seem "saturated" to me when there's at least 10 just within a mile of my place in Austin and probably another 10 or more strewn about the city and suburbs. I'd think OKC could easily support a couple more, especially an established chain like Ruth's Chris.

Thread Information