Widgets Magazine
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Shoppes Of Del City

Default Re: Shoppes Of Del City

Memories of the good old days when Cocina de Mino was still the best Mexican fare for miles!

Quote Originally Posted by kevinpate View Post
    Hard to miss the Ted's in Norman. Interstate frontage road, big sign, half empty parking lot, immediately south of the typically overflowing Chuy's parking lot.

(not a fan of either myself, but that's just me.)
    While I like Chuy's, and like the setup at Ted's (otherwise food is over-rated), with Chuy's stealing so much of the Norman business, I'm surprised to see Ted's expanding at all.

Quote Originally Posted by whorton View Post
    Memories of the good old days when Cocina de Mino was still the best Mexican fare for miles!
    Thankfully, we have more and better options now, although I still love Cocina de Mino chicken nachos.

4. Default Re: Shoppes Of Del City

A surprisingly good Nacho, is from Cheddar's. It's really a tostada rather than a tortilla chip, but that means it stays crunchy.

Any updates?

6. Default Re: Shoppes Of Del City

No, and the place continues to develop at a snails pace. The same weird little house-type office space structures still aren't done. The random hotel in the back is still going up (actually moving at a good pace), and the "yet another strip mall" building is moving about as slow as possible. You'd think Clark Construction was building this thing as slow as it's going.

HangryHippo Guest

Quote Originally Posted by bombermwc View Post
    No, and the place continues to develop at a snails pace. The same weird little house-type office space structures still aren't done. The random hotel in the back is still going up (actually moving at a good pace), and the "yet another strip mall" building is moving about as slow as possible. You'd think Clark Construction was building this thing as slow as it's going.
    It's a pretty hideous development that appears to have been haphazardly thrown together. Of course, it has the offices that look like brick houses which are unfortunately everywhere. The hotel is situated awkwardly behind the tall storefronts that sit alongside/behind another set of storefronts all while Carl's Jr and BWW face the street and not the rest of the development. It's all pretty nauseating.

Quote Originally Posted by OnlyOne View Post
    It's a pretty hideous development that appears to have been haphazardly thrown together. Of course, it has the offices that look like brick houses which are unfortunately everywhere. The hotel is situated awkwardly behind the tall storefronts that sit alongside/behind another set of storefronts all while Carl's Jr and BWW face the street and not the rest of the development. It's all pretty nauseating.
    Well . . . with a name like "Shoppes" . . . .

9. Default Re: Shoppes Of Del City

I've been pretty dissaopointed in the lack of any coordination efforts at all in anything with the project myself. It's as if they just threw a bunch of crap in together. Total waste and shame. And not really anything in there yet that's a good new business either. BWW is the only unique store to the area. The rest of them are the million repeat of whatever crappy thing they are.

Okay, I looked up this development up and I had to laugh.

RCL Development

Welcoming exteriors. Bright interiors. Ample parking and landscaping that invites you to stop and stay awhile. The Shoppes at Del City is a first-of-its-kind approach to retail and commercial development in this growing area.

With a hotel, a variety of restaurants, shops and offices in the center, attending to work, purchases and errands takes on the feel of a pleasant excursion. You can relax, enjoy and explore the options that are available. Stroll green lawns between the stores. Sip a coffee and breathe the fresh air, with no jostling or rushing.
    What is so unique? It looks like a site plan for about a million other places.

Perhaps the actual key words that should be highlighted in the developers copy are: "in this growing area."

In any case, with a name like "Shoppes" they had better be using full cruck, English half-timber construction, with wattle and daub infill plus thatch or tile roofs (rooves?). Hopefully, they are also working on changing the name of the area to Dell City and incorporating a Farmers' Market into the mix.

Quote Originally Posted by RadicalModerate View Post
    Perhaps the actual key words that should be highlighted in the developers copy are: "in this growing area."

In any case, with a name like "Shoppes" they had better be using full cruck, English half-timber construction, with wattle and daub infill plus thatch or tile roofs (rooves?). Hopefully, they are also working on changing the name of the area to Dell City and incorporating a Farmers' Market into the mix.
    Well, unless they narrowly define "this growing area" as the SW corner of I-40 and Sooner road, it has the exact same site plan as every shopping center within 2 miles of it. Although, maybe they are expecting people to passively recreate on the landscaped parking lot islands (you know - someone should do that and see how long it takes the property manager to come remove them).

As for the name 'Shoppes' - it is too bad the marketing industry screwed up the language. Alas, I guess that is proof that the commercial developer industry knows what people want - even if they don't actually build what people want. Clearly they know the word 'Shoppe' has a positive connotation and that if they named their project after what it actually is no one would want to shop there.

I'd bet that adding a scaled-down version of this feature to the bridge over Crutcho Creek (behind Buffalo Wild Wings and that other place) would increase curb appeal and lend credence (to "Shoppes") to the passers-by on the Tinker Diagonal. Of course, it would have to be turned or designed so as not to interrupt the water flow of this pristine waterway. Would adding Ye Olde Tyme Mill Wheel to one of the towers be too much?

The same group has a vision of converting an area to the east of 150th and Penn to a version of Tuscany so I don't think the question is unfair to ask . . .

14. Default Re: Shoppes Of Del City

del_city_2.jpg
    Well and no surprise, the actual development looks absolutely nothing like that masterplan.

Had they built what they said, instead of the junk they do have, perhaps we might have something that might be good.

Wait. Are you saying what they built is even worse than the site plan?

Blog Entries

Right of the "creek" is accurate. Left of the creek is completely inaccurate, with the exception that the hotel is there, but maybe not in that exact spot...

Worse is putting it mildly. There's no apparent internal continuity in design. It truly looks like they divided the land among several developers and said do what you want.

HangryHippo Guest

Quote Originally Posted by shawnw View Post
    Right of the "creek" is accurate. Left of the creek is completely inaccurate, with the exception that the hotel is there, but maybe not in that exact spot...

Worse is putting it mildly. There's no apparent internal continuity in design. It truly looks like they divided the land among several developers and said do what you want.
    Yep, it's bad.

I think "Shoppes" used to have a positive connotation but it has been so overused for these half-baked lifestyle center attempts since the mid-2000s it no longer has the connotation it once did. This project actually is turning out very fitting for something called "shoppes."

I wonder how much of this parking will actually be used?

I just hope that the vehicle color-coding concept isn't abandoned . . .
    Do these "de-velop-errrs" have any connection with that bunch out there a-fixin' up Choctaw?

Blog Entries

Not great drive by pic from highway:
    IMAG0940-1.jpg

Others from "the ground". Keep in mind that all of these are in the same development!
    IMAG0941.jpg

IMAG0943.jpg

IMAG0942.jpg

IMAG0945.jpg

New Name?: Ye Olde Hodge-podge of Dell City

Quote Originally Posted by RadicalModerate View Post
    I just hope that the vehicle color-coding concept isn't abandoned . . .
    Do these "de-velop-errrs" have any connection with that bunch out there a-fixin' up Choctaw?
    the waaaaaah?

Look at the site plan again. Particularly the representation of the vehicles using the parking.

25. Default Re: Shoppes Of Del City

Sometimes i feel like the thing was better as an open field.....

Thread Information