Widgets Magazine
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: OKC's biggest water users

Default OKC's biggest water users

Water hogs

Who are the city’s biggest water users?

http://www.okgazette.com/oklahoma/ar...ater-hogs.html

2. Default Re: OKC's biggest water users

That's funny. I grew up with the dobson kids in middle school and high school. I have no idea how in the world they use that much water at their house. They do have two pools but still thats ridiculous

Default Re: OKC's biggest water users

Quote Originally Posted by worthy cook View Post
    That's funny. I grew up with the dobson kids in middle school and high school. I have no idea how in the world they use that much water at their house. They do have two pools but still thats ridiculous
    Yeah, I figured the top user would have a large plot of land that they watered.

I think the heat caused so much evaporation that swimming pools probably used significantly more water than usual. And, the number of gallons it takes to fill up a pool is astounding. I guess filling up my bird bath twice daily and watering all the plants on my balconies didn't warrant getting on the list.

5. Default Re: OKC's biggest water users

"Just as wars over oil played a major role in 20th-century history, a new book makes a convincing case that many 21st century conflicts will be fought over water."
    http://www.npr.org/templates/story/s...ryId=122195532

The water usage among the top users in Gaillardia is despicable - especially in a drought. Pity we may have to live with a brown yard. The arrogance of privilege.

6. Default Re: OKC's biggest water users

Perhaps some day they'll go to a rate plan like Austin's - tiered usage, and each higher tier carries a higher price.

I've done the math so you don't have to:

http://www.dustbury.com/archives/13146

About a year ago they had a news story on one of the TV newscasts, one of the US Reps from the Austin area was in the top 10. Pretty much all of them we in the newer, big house areas. A few said they had line leaks and had them fixed, the city person interviewed did say that was accurate and their usage was drastically different after that.

8. Default Re: OKC's biggest water users

I thought it would be Walmart. :-/

9. Default Re: OKC's biggest water users

Why Walmart? When was the last time they had anything other than a bathroom that uses water?

Anyway - tiered would be great. There's no reason they have to suck up the water in the city so freaking Gallardia folks can have green grass while we all suffer with dead stuff. That's just crazy.

Quote Originally Posted by bombermwc View Post
    Why Walmart? When was the last time they had anything other than a bathroom that uses water?

Anyway - tiered would be great. There's no reason they have to suck up the water in the city so freaking Gallardia folks can have green grass while we all suffer with dead stuff. That's just crazy.
    Does the city have special provisions that exempt Gaillardia during water use restriction periods? If not, I see no problem. Their grass should be no greener than yours if you want to pay for the water usage.

Perhaps The Era of Pet Lawns has finally drawn to a close . . .

(And all those formerly involved in the mowing of the grass can now become skilled in the raking of the gravel and tending of the cacti---neither of which require the water for actual vegetables and whatnots.)

Just as The Dawn of SereScaping begins to break.

12. Default Re: OKC's biggest water users

If they are paying for it, whatever. From a different vantage point though, if you are using that much water than you really need to re-evaluate priorities on excessive usage.

"re-evaluating priorities"
    regarding wasting water
    IS a good idea.
    regardless of the ability to pay.

just a thought

I'm not against conserving water but I'm not going to judge someone who is following the rules. If the rules need to be changed, do it.
    One of my priorities is having enough scotch to have an occasional scotch and water when I feel like. It is a waste of money and water but I enjoy it. As long as it's legal and I can afford it, I'll keep having my scotch and water.

it ain't about "the rules"
    it is about the "mindset"

(that squanders multi-millions of gallons of drinkable water on grass)

Don't worry, apparently T.Boone Pickens has already picked up the scent of trillions of dollars to be made by "properly pricing" this life requirement . . .

Quote Originally Posted by RadicalModerate View Post
    it ain't about "the rules"
    it is about the "mindset"

(that squanders multi-millions of gallons of drinkable water on grass)

Don't worry, apparently T.Boone Pickens has already picked up the scent of trillions of dollars to be made by "properly pricing" this life requirement . . .
    The mindset can be improved but, again, I'm not going to judge anyway who is following the rules. I don't think anyone locally is going thirsty yet and we have had periods of much more extensive water rationing in the past. Have we had any problems other than low lake levels which might inconvenience some recreational boaters or fishers? There is no reason for panic. Our water situation here is fine.

We were on water restriction in Yukon so we could only use our sprinklers on certain days but we could still water with the hose...What is the difference? I hardly ever used my sprinkler anyway, using the hose was easier and faster.

panic? did you say panic?
    i never even thought about panic . . .
    i was only refering to priorities, planning and pricing . . .

i think t. boone needs to try out Yukon instead of Gaillardia for the first pricing test.

Quote Originally Posted by RadicalModerate View Post
    panic? did you say panic?
    i never even thought about panic . . .
    i was only refering to priorities, planning and pricing . . .

i think t. boone needs to try out Yukon instead of Gaillardia for the first pricing test.
    I wasn't trying to imply that you were in a panic mode but you seem to be worried about the amount of drinkable water. Some posters here seem ready to lynch Gaillardia residents, though, because they're going to cause them to die of thirst (or have a brown lawn which is even worse).

Isn't this a recycled Gazette story from last year? It's an interesting story, but I guess I just don't understand it's staying power.

21. Default Re: OKC's biggest water users

Because whether you are globally aware or not, water is quickly becoming a hot issue. Just because we live in the good 'ole U.S. where 80% of us take water for granted does not mean our supply is somehow unlimited. I can't even stand by that statement fully because the water issue is affecting the southwest U.S. severely too. Still, we are incredibly well off compared to majority of countries and people in the world.

I'm sure the highest residential home uses nowhere near the amount of water agriculture uses and 99% of agriculture are probably pumping it from the aquifer. I was just surprised the number one user didn't have a 5-10 acre plot of grass they watered, but are not classified as agriculture. There probably is someone out in the country like that, but their using well water.

Everyone who doesn't pour water on the ground raise your hand. Betts, I see your hand up. Anyone else?

Maybe if we didn't pave roads all over the countryside this wouldn't happen.

Quote Originally Posted by Questor View Post
    Isn't this a recycled Gazette story from last year? It's an interesting story, but I guess I just don't understand it's staying power.
    A little water, a little fertilizer, a little nature and wham, it's a perennial.

Quote Originally Posted by Architect2010 View Post
    Because whether you are globally aware or not, water is quickly becoming a hot issue. Just because we live in the good 'ole U.S. where 80% of us take water for granted does not mean our supply is somehow unlimited. I can't even stand by that statement fully because the water issue is affecting the southwest U.S. severely too. Still, we are incredibly well off compared to majority of countries and people in the world.
    I do realize it, but in the context of okc it doesn't matter much and I don't care. The author may chose to write about global water shortages instead of okc water users in the future and I may care more to read that article.

Thread Information